Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 07-08-2012, 07:14 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Engine overheating error

Hi,

I have a 2008 528 xi with 40 K miles CPO.

My car yesterday showed the engine overheated warning and consequently should I should exit the car immediately and should have my car towed or checked with the BMW dealer. I was right about to take my exit and this happened. The car wouldn't move and I had a hard time crossing a 4 way crossing ahead.

I got it towed to the nearest dealer yesterday and since it was closed I had to get back to them tomorrow.

Now this questions the reliability of my vehicle. I love it and do you think its time to flip this car for something else.

I bought this 2 years ago as CPO from BMW dealer.

I got two major issues with it and got them fixed in the past year alone.

1. Battery over discharge.
2. Rear doormats got water logging because of some exit water value blockage.

Please advice.
Advertisement
Old 07-11-2012, 11:30 AM

Got update from my dealer.

They couldnt find the reason why such engine malfunction error is being thrown. they have run all the diagnostics and the car seems to be fine.

The Fan and the water pump seems to work fine when it was driven on local roads and left running for an hour.

Please advice.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:57 AM

After driving for few weeks; after the engine overheated error, I feel as if the car has lost power. It really struggles during low speeds.

Is this possible.

Please advice.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:05 PM
U of Dawgs

Mein Auto: 08 535iA Spt/11 X5 35i
Have you seen this?

SI B12 04 05
Engine Electrical Systems

October 2008
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B12 04 05 July 2007.

[NEW] designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
Check Engine Lamp Illuminated and/or Vehicle Overheats

MODEL
[NEW] E83 (X3) with N52K engine

[NEW] E85 and E86 (Z4) with N52 engine

[NEW] E70 (X5) with N52K engine

[NEW] E90, E91, E92 and E93 (3 Series) with N51, N52 and N52K engines

[NEW] E60 and E61 (5 Series) with N52 and N52K engine

[NEW] All models above produced up to December 31st, 2006

SITUATION
The customer complains that the Check Engine lamp is illuminated and/or that the vehicle overheated. One or more of the following fault codes is stored in the DME:

FC 2E81 Electric coolant pump, speed deviation, speed outside the tolerance

FC 2E82 Electric coolant pump cutoff, over-current

FC 2E83 Electric coolant pump, power-reduced operation, dry run

FC 2E84 Electric coolant pump, communication

FC 2E85 Electric coolant pump, communication, no voltage at emergency operation input of pump

CAUSE
One of the following can be the cause:

- Insufficient power supply

- Insufficient grounding

- BSD signal not present

- Defective electric coolant water pump

- Electric coolant pump water pump processor disturbance

-----------------------------------
Nube1Kenobi
2011 X5 35i Sport Activity|Plat Gray/Beige/Dk Poplar|Conv Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Tech Pkg|Prem Sound|Comfort Seats|Hitch|
2008 535i Mon Blue/Dakota Blk/Dk Poplar|Sports Pkg|Prem Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Nav|RTTI|PDC|L7|HD|I-Pod/USB|PWR Rr shade|Sports Auto - paddles|Active Stg|Comfort Access|F/D R/seats|Rr DMS Airbags|Adaptive Xenons

Do not argue with an idiot else he lowers you to his level and beat you down with experience..
Old 08-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 525i 5-spd
Sounds to me like - your engine overheated.

I'm sorry but sensors and codes cannnot replace what a gauge, even a damped gauge, can tell an aware driver.
  • Pre-Purchase Inspections by a qualifed BMW tech should be considered required PRIOR to purchase.
  • Service Records matter - a whole lot!
  • Plan to spend $2-3000+ in maintance & repairs the first year of ownership.
  • Plan on something unexpected to happen, more often than you are used to.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i
Same for me on an 06' 530xi.......Twice. Pulled over and shutdown. Restarted and drove it and had no more warnings. I know these machines. As noted, this has happened twice (even though I know the engine isn't over-heating when it's just below freezing outside). I have found in the past that the float valve inside the coolant reservoir often becomes stuck, and when it doesn't rise along with coolant, the CBD doesn't think there is enough coolant in the car. I have received the OverHeating warning twice. Pulled the over to the side of the road. Wait. Restart it and drive it while using the Check Control and gives the All Systems OK.

But I find this to be highly irritating.........especially, when the road surface is below 32 degree's; I would tend to believe the warning if it occured in the summer at 90+ degree's outside.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:37 AM

Mein Auto: '06 530i, '07 C280, ML320
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevendc View Post
Same for me on an 06' 530xi.......
I have found in the past that the float valve inside the coolant reservoir often becomes stuck, and when it doesn't rise along with coolant, the CBD doesn't think there is enough coolant in the car.
The floating stick in the coolant reservoir is for our visual check [of the coolant level] only. It's not connected to anything [electrically]. Even if you remove that stick and throw away and the coolant level is proper, no errors will be shown on the computer.

Coolant level sensor is mounted on the coolant reservoir; this sensor is connected to the computer and let's us know when the coolant level is below certain threshold.

You should investigate the overheat errors on your car before it really overheats... possibly due to intermittently faulty water pump. Restarting the car is not a permanent solution.

Please read the TSB info posted above by Nube1kenobi.

Last edited by pcy; 02-03-2013 at 06:39 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:14 AM

Unhappy Engine Overheating Error

I know.......I am not new to this stuff. The car is still under warranty and I will take it in for a check. But I have grown older now and this is my fourth BMW. I have already read the technical bulletin released by BMW. My Dad retired from the dealership, and I am a disabled Engineer.

Truthfully, I have 14 year old Volvo which is much more reliable than my 5. And I have done the vast majority of the repair work on both the Volvo and all the BMW's I have owned.

But it just gets old.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:16 PM

Engine Overheating Error

Took it in yesterday, got it back today. Water Pump was bad, or so I was told. They replaced it (or said they did)........
Old 02-22-2013, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
So, yesterday my JB4 arrived in the mail, felt like Santa just arrived. Had to work late but was itching to get this thing installed. So about 8:30 pm I started driving towards my work shop, and BAM!!!!!!! Engine Overheating Warning, and engine all but shut down. I waited a little bit, and made it back home as it wasn't far. WOW, hope this isn't an omen about the juicebox. Having it towed today to my local indy shop, hopefully they call me back with not so terrible news. I have 49k miles on this car, and if it's just the water pump and / or thermostat I'll be content.

Damn warranty just ran out back in October and I decided against getting the extended warranty thru BMW. Not a very good start to the no warranty phase.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:11 AM

Engine Overheating Error

For me it was the Water Pump (covered by an aftermarket warranty to the tune of $1,111........I intend to re-build my car with the warranty.

The Water Pump is Electronic (so you can't hear it going bad)......they diagnose it with a code reader.

I have owned four BMW's...........and I have a 14 year old Volvo that is more reliable. My own opinion of the German Cars, is that they only good for as long as the warranty lasts..........and after that, I ditch them and buy another one.

Last edited by stevendc; 02-22-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:07 PM

so, the indy (who I trust) just called and said the water pump went bad, thermostat is bad, spark plugs fouled out from running while overheated. Will cost $1710.00 (including tow bill and tax) to fix. Then......... there is a chance the engine has internal damage but they have no way to know until they replace the water pump and all the other stuff. So it's basically a 1710.00 roll of the dice.

Wow, a lot to soak in, merely 3 months out of warranty. He said the spark plugs were coated in fuel which MIGHT be a good sign for the engine. His personal opinion / hunch is the engine is fine but can't say for sure. Anybody have any thoughts?

Last edited by redhotdave; 02-22-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:25 PM

Engine Overheating Error

I would get a second opinion.........
Old 02-22-2013, 12:36 PM

Engine Overheating Error

This issue with me and BMW is the I-Drive system. Even though you do the PM's while the car is under warranty, you have no way of knowing if the dealer REALLY did the work. The lack of an Oil Dipstick is the perfect example. All the dealer has to do is reset the Oil Change setting (but you don't know if the oil was really changed). I bought an 06 5-Series and the Carfax indicated that the car had been serviced prior to my purchase.

When I brought the car home, the first thing I did was change the oil (and it was pure filth).

I will keep this car for as long as I have the after-market warranty and then I will ditch it.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:20 PM

I couldn't agree more about the lack of a temp gauge and dipstick, definitely drives me crazy. Update on my car: Replaced the water pump, also had to replace the thermostat and the spark plugs as the over heating fried those. Engine did NOT have any internal damage, car runs like a champ although they advised I need to take it easy on the lead foot for about 200 miles. Guess I'll wait till then to install the juicebox. It was such a relief to know all is good.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:40 PM

Talking Engine Overheating Error

Glad it wasn't the worst case scenario Dave. I know Lake Wylie........
Old 02-27-2013, 06:46 PM

Exclamation Engine Overheating Error

But you know what..........I can't recall a German car I have ever owned that was any good after the warranty expired......
Old 05-27-2013, 04:27 AM

Engine overheating error

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkhunter View Post
After driving for few weeks; after the engine overheated error, I feel as if the car has lost power. It really struggles during low speeds.

Is this possible.

Please advice.
Well it had been over a year since this incident. Dealer said he couldn't find any thing wrong since the car runs fine through all the diagnostic test and the error codes were cleared off by the previous dealer where the car was initially taken.

Yesterday the car gave the same error about over heating and I had to tow the car to the dealer.

Hope they find the issue this time. Now this questions my cars reliability. The embarrassing part was I came back to my home along with our new born baby using my friend s Honda accord 2002 with 125k miles on it.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app