Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 07-09-2012, 09:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 M3, 2013 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
Yes these are the two to check. I also like the CLS550. It's a very nice car too. Will probably hold its value better than the Jag. Also has fantastic steering. Much better than the F10. Jag has great steering too.
I completely forgot about the CLS when I looked at the E class today. I do like the way it looks. Lets see how the steering is.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:34 AM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by elitex View Post
I completely forgot about the CLS when I looked at the E class today. I do like the way it looks. Lets see how the steering is.
If you're prepared to go up to 75k you can snag a Jag XFR. Fantastic car. Almost M5 performance, light and agile, comes standard with full leather, 1200W Bowers and Wilkins, etc.

And it is available with some interesting paint jobs.

2014 BMW///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe
Old 07-10-2012, 06:03 AM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
Even though you don't like xovers or SUV's, try the X3, its really nice and drives like a regular car based BMW. The X5 for the most part drives like it too.

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011

BMWCCA #350568
Old 07-10-2012, 06:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 Chevy Corvette z06
splerge a little more and get a E63 AMG that will put a smile on your face !

but I do love the E550 I almost got one a while back on impulse
Old 07-10-2012, 08:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Audi A6- I gave A6 another chance since I heavily compared it to the 550I before purchasing the BMW. I have same gripes about the A6 as I did before. Arm rest on the door is plastic, no leather covering there.
The arm rest in the A7 is leather, its not a big deal to me, but different stroke for different folks.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:11 AM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
The arm rest in the A7 is leather, its not a big deal to me, but different stroke for different folks.
Do you mean the arm rest on the door or the center console. The door is all rubber and vinyl. Not sure about the center console.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: German
Audi S6?

The XF is pretty, but can't help but think Jags are a hunk of crap. CLS would be a better bet
Old 07-10-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
I know its pretty minor but at 65k? If they had offered full leather option and better seats, I'd probably buy it.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Audi S6?

The XF is pretty, but can't help but think Jags are a hunk of crap. CLS would be a better bet
I am going to look at both Jag and CLS today. Wife already said that she's not too crazy about jaguar. I'll take a look anyway.

I think I'll wait till I sit in and drive the S6 before I make my buying decision. So far, S6 looks promising.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdg37s View Post
splerge a little more and get a E63 AMG that will put a smile on your face !

but I do love the E550 I almost got one a while back on impulse
In few years I'll trade my 550I for either M5, Panamera S, or maybe even 911 S. Surprisingly, wifey gave me full support if I decide to go with 911.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me530 View Post
Even though you don't like xovers or SUV's, try the X3, its really nice and drives like a regular car based BMW. The X5 for the most part drives like it too.
If we were going SUV route, it would definitely be the Range Rover sport. I have driven the X5 in the past, its great, just don't like the styling.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
I'm going through the process of picking a car/SUV for my wife as well. The first criteria is, what does your wife want? Seems like it is the A6/S6. If you don't have a problem with it, that's the car you should buy. My wife's first pick was the big Range Rover which I veto'd due to reliability concerns. Next choice was the Cayenne which I happen to think is the best luxury SUV on the market right now. So for now we are set unless something else comes up before Christmas. If I had my pick it would be a 4-runner since reliability and utility is my priorities for our SUV but since it's going to be my wife's commuter her priorities trumps mine within certain limits.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
I'm going through the process of picking a car/SUV for my wife as well. The first criteria is, what does your wife want? Seems like it is the A6/S6. If you don't have a problem with it, that's the car you should buy. My wife's first pick was the big Range Rover which I veto'd due to reliability concerns. Next choice was the Cayenne which I happen to think is the best luxury SUV on the market right now. So for now we are set unless something else comes up before Christmas. If I had my pick it would be a 4-runner since reliability and utility is my priorities for our SUV but since it's going to be my wife's commuter her priorities trumps mine within certain limits.
You should really look at the Jeep SRT8 too

2013 535i M-Sport, Jet Black/Black Nappa Leather-Premium-Technology-Driver's Assistance-Luxury Seat-Soft Close Doors-Premium Sound-Sport Auto Transmission-35% Ceramic Tint.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:41 AM

Mein Auto: 03 BMW X5
Quote:
I am going to look at both Jag and CLS today. Wife already said that she's not too crazy about jaguar. I'll take a look anyway.

I think I'll wait till I sit in and drive the S6 before I make my buying decision. So far, S6 looks promising.
If you decide the Jag is in the running, I can provide some thoughts on the car as I bought an '11 XF SC and have about 1100 miles on it. Extensively cross shopped A6, S5, 535, 550 before buying.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwarchitect View Post
If you decide the Jag is in the running, I can provide some thoughts on the car as I bought an '11 XF SC and have about 1100 miles on it. Extensively cross shopped A6, S5, 535, 550 before buying.
Definitely, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

I drove XF supercharged yesterday. I liked it, it's very sporty, stiff legged ride, no throttle delay. Power seems to come on instantly, and doesn't let off until redline.

There were some negatives, yes the car has leather everywhere, but it looks a little outdated. Touch screen display, the only way to turn on cooled/heated seats were through the display (unless i missed the buttons). Nav is a little slow.

I'll probably drive the CLS today.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
There were some negatives, yes the car has leather everywhere, but it looks a little outdated. Touch screen display, the only way to turn on cooled/heated seats were through the display (unless i missed the buttons). Nav is a little slow.

I was at the local LR/Jag dealer a couple weeks ago because they had a great looking Evoque out front. The salesmen persuaded me to take out an XF after, so I took it for a quick spin. It drove pretty well, but all my gripes came from the inside of it.

It just felt "old" and outdated. The gear shifter was pretty stupid. The F10, A6, E Class feel more modern to me. And the infotainment system seemed like something from 5-10 years ago. Everything was slow. iDrive/MMI are night and day to this system.

As a gadget lover, this annoyed me tremendously. Sure, it has looks, but the technology isn't there. BMW, Audi, etc are superior, have better resale, and are probably going to be more reliable.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 Bentley Continental
If you are looking at a sedan and want/need AWD I would have to go with the S6. My old S6 was the only car I've truly missed. Totally different beast, the V10, but I imagine this version is still pretty damn good. I liked the CLS 550 4-Matic too, but you may miss the BMW technology goodies. For some reason I really like Audis. Weird.

I tried to get my wife into a sedan - would've been an Audi if so! Though her RR is pretty hilariously fast.

Previous Rides
2012 650i xDrive - Loved it! 2010 535i xDrive - Very competent. Too sensible? 2008 Audi S6 - Still miss the V10.
2003 Maserati Coupe - The end of an era. 2002 Maserati Coupe - Gone and mostly forgotten. 2002 MB CLK 430 - Gone but not forgotten.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:40 PM

Mein Auto: 03 BMW X5
Quote:
Definitely, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

I drove XF supercharged yesterday. I liked it, it's very sporty, stiff legged ride, no throttle delay. Power seems to come on instantly, and doesn't let off until redline.

I am assuming you drove a 2012. which has some improvements in the Nav and headlights design over the '11.

I bought one because:

-Design is inside and out gorgeous. Simplicity of lines. I believe classic looks. Some may perceive this as outdated. I didn't care for the A6's interior lines but could have lived with it. Audi S5 is classic good looks car (in the end needed 4 doors).
-Power, throttle response as you have experienced. Doesn't quit. No throttle delay whatsoever.
-Nicely tuned exhaust sound
-Steering feel nicely balanced. Could be a bit heavier weighted at low speeds but overall has good road feel.
-Beautiful interior materials, leather dash, suede headliner standard in SC.
-Fit in cockpit, with wide console for right hand rest. Window sill height comfortable for left elbow rest.
-Paddle shifters standard and work well.
-Sound system with Dolby ProLogic standard, and Bowers and Wilkens stereo superior to others on market. Cranks to redline, just like the engine.
-20 inch staggered wheels and performance tires standard. Makes for an aggressive stance.
-No run-flats
-No ecopro or other overwrought technology.
-Value. (I know this is relative to resale, but you get alot for the money).
-Only a handful of options for the SC. Minimally optioned cars cannot be built. Everyone's who owns one is a near equal. Should be better for people who like options on resale as all are near alike.
-Did I say the design and the power response?
-Women love it!

What I chose to overlook:
-Slow navigation system
-No HUD
-Dealer network not as extensive. My dealer is an hour away, but will come and pick up and return my car to my home or office for service and provide me with a loaner at no cost.
-No AWD.
-Reports of poor quality. After extensively reading Jag forums, most of problems seem to relate to '09 XF drive selector issue. This year Jag was 2nd on intial quality (for what it's worth.) No problems so far.
-Feel of interior controls in '11 not up to BMW standards. Have improved in '12 and are much better.
-Inability to adjust steering, throttle response, and suspension independently.
-Not great gas mileage, but better than my X5.

Adjusting the seat heating and cooling from the menu is not a big deal. It's one screen away. If you are a technology geek, then this may not be the car for you.

That's about it. You may be able to get a '12 for a 15-18% discount depending on where you are and dealer motivations.

The Audi S6 sounds interesting. If the seats are more supportive than the A6 and the interior materials are better, that could be a nice choice for the wife. You get AWD. The steering of the A6 has a decent feel, and the power response was decent even with the supercharged 6. Liked the technology but not the nav screen pop up. Happy shopping!

Last edited by bmwarchitect; 07-11-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:09 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Surprisingly, wifey gave me full support if I decide to go with 911.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 07-11-2012, 06:30 PM

Mein Auto: E70 X5 35i Sport Activity
The Jaguar interior is nice, but feels old like many have mentioned here. Ridiculous infotainment system, very outdated.

I think Mercedes builds great cars, but their engines are crap. With the exception of the AMGs, honestly, it's like they've given up competing with BMW or Audi. I won't go into handling and sportiness because that's not what they're supposed to do.

I would say go for a Porsche Panamera if you can or a 911 if you are able to pull that off.

- 2013 X5 35i Sport Activity (Born 08/12) - Titanium Silver /Oyster Nevada /Dark Bamboo - ZCV /ZCW /ZPS /Sport Package /Adaptive Drive /Soft-Close Doors/Running Boards /HUD /Shift Paddles /Comfort Seats /6NR /6NF
- 2011 535i (Born 08/10) - Titanium Silver /Black Dakota /Anthracite - ZCV /ZCW /ZPP /ZP2 /6FL /6NF (Sold 08/12)
- 2010 335i (Born 02/10) - Titanium Silver /Black Dakota - ZCW /ZPP /6FL (Sold 09/10)
- 2007 328i (Born 07/07) - Jet Black /Black Dakota - ZSP /ZPP /6FL (Sold 04/10)
Old 07-11-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grilodan View Post
The Jaguar interior is nice, but feels old like many have mentioned here. Ridiculous infotainment system, very outdated.

I think Mercedes builds great cars, but their engines are crap. With the exception of the AMGs, honestly, it's like they've given up competing with BMW or Audi. I won't go into handling and sportiness because that's not what they're supposed to do.

I would say go for a Porsche Panamera if you can or a 911 if you are able to pull that off.
The new V8TT in the CLS/E550 is a beast of a powerplant. Just as strong as the V8TT in the 550i, without the ridiculous throttle lag. Same with the base N/A V6. It makes similar power to the N55, with less torque, but has zero lag.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:48 PM

Mein Auto: 335i xDrive Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexownbmw View Post
Sucks to be poor.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Bimmer App
It's all relative my friend.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:54 PM

Mein Auto: MB E500 4matic
I know this is coming from no where, but i spent about 30 minutes in a new caddy XTS today....very impressive if its not too big....worth a look!

Aceman
Old 07-11-2012, 07:06 PM
silberma1

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
My friend's Jaguar needs to be serviced almost every month. On the plus side they will come to your house to pick up the car and deliver too. Do you want to put up with the car finding a second home at the dealer?
Old 07-11-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silberma View Post
My friend's Jaguar needs to be serviced almost every month. On the plus side they will come to your house to pick up the car and deliver too. Do you want to put up with the car finding a second home at the dealer?
Your BMW dealer doesn't do this?