Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

Old 12-22-2011, 08:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
CPO or Extended Warranty?

I'm about to make an offer on an 08 M5 single owner car with 44K miles. (Not currently CPO)
The original warranty and service expire in a month (end of Jan 2012).

I looking for some guidance on the following:

1. The BMW dealership said they can CPO the car for $3K or I can purchase other extended warranty options. Any recommendations here?

2. I reviewed the repair history and it looks like the plugs were replaced at 28k miles, but the brakes or SMG clutch has not bee touched. The dealer said the brakes are at 50%.
a. Is it normal for the brakes to be at 50% at 44K miles?
b. When will the SMG clutch typically need to be replaced?
c. Are both these items covered on the extended service plan?

This car has more miles than what I'm looking for, but the price is good and it seem well taken care of. My concern is that all the high cost maintenance items are about to be needed.

Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 01-21-2012, 05:34 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 530i
If you dont plan to get the maint along with the CPO then dont get the CPO. Aftermarket warranties like EasyCare and Zurich are far more superior and much more bang for you buck.
Brake pad life is dependent on driving style. You drive highway, they dont wear fast, you drive city they wear faster. You track, they wear fast. You cruise they don't wear as fast. If they are at 50% dont bother, you still have a while.

SMG Clutch - No one can tell you when it will need a replacement. It can go out at 30k it can go out at 60k it can go out next week it can last 80k also. So you can never tell when time will come and you would need to do the clutch.

Extended service / Maintenance Package plan from BMW covers both clutch and brakes
Old 08-16-2012, 06:38 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335I
Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812545 View Post
I'm about to make an offer on an 08 M5 single owner car with 44K miles. (Not currently CPO)
The original warranty and service expire in a month (end of Jan 2012).

I looking for some guidance on the following:

1. The BMW dealership said they can CPO the car for $3K or I can purchase other extended warranty options. Any recommendations here?

2. I reviewed the repair history and it looks like the plugs were replaced at 28k miles, but the brakes or SMG clutch has not bee touched. The dealer said the brakes are at 50%.
a. Is it normal for the brakes to be at 50% at 44K miles?
b. When will the SMG clutch typically need to be replaced?
c. Are both these items covered on the extended service plan?

This car has more miles than what I'm looking for, but the price is good and it seem well taken care of. My concern is that all the high cost maintenance items are about to be needed.

Thanks
You really need to read in between the lines as the language is intentionally confusing. My e90 335i is a CPO that I purchased from a dealership. Recently the clutch went and I was advised to purchase the extended warranty..that cost me $2,000. The good news is that the clutch was replaced as part of this program. That was cheaper then to just pay for a clutch replacement which would be about $2,400. Now the car has maintenance coverage until 100,000 miles.

You must ask if the M is covered similarly. May be something to consider,