Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 328xi
Towel issue

ok.. this might sound stupid.. .but i'm going to ask anyway.

I have a couple of high-quality borderfree micro fiber towels (bought them from Zaino).... Anyway, been using them for a while now to buff off the Z2 polish and also the Z6 spray.....

Then I did something stupid and I used them, before washing them, to clean my windows... ugh.. what an idiot.. wow did that leave a mess of streaks...

So then i washed the towels with only Tide in the wash machine... no fabric softener... and I threw them in the dryer....

Now when I use those towels, they seem to be leaving lint everywhere and still seem like they have some polish in them... (My cheapass cotton towels don't have this issue... only the micro fiber ones)

Could the dryer have screwed them up?? What better towel cleaning approach is there? Maybe hand wash with Dawn dishsoap to dissolve all the wax/polish residue then air dry maybe??

//Brew
('07 E92 328xi / '08 E83 X3)
Ads by Google
Old 07-11-2012, 07:29 AM

Mein Auto: 99...540i
It's called linting and common with MF towels...soak them in a bucket of water with APC (all purpose cleaner) over night. The APC should be about 10 part water to 1 part APC. This will loosen up all of the product in them. Then wash as normal on warm water and either air dry or on delicate setting in the dryer. That should take care of your linting

That said you should have separate towels for glass only, they are a finer grade of MF towel and do a much better job

Its Going To Cost How Much???????
Old 07-11-2012, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: '07 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dboy11 View Post
It's called linting and common with MF towels...soak them in a bucket of water with APC (all purpose cleaner) over night. The APC should be about 10 part water to 1 part APC. This will loosen up all of the product in them. Then wash as normal on warm water and either air dry or on delicate setting in the dryer. That should take care of your linting

That said you should have separate towels for glass only, they are a finer grade of MF towel and do a much better job
Thank you for the info! and yes, i'm going to dedicate some new towels to GLASS!

//Brew
('07 E92 328xi / '08 E83 X3)
Old 07-11-2012, 04:27 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
I use Griot's polypropylene glass towels, disposable. Lint-free. I want to say it comes out to 17 cents per. Yep, I remembered right:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...,+150+count.do

I haven't bought the tool that is designed for them, but I wouldn't be surprised if it helped quite a bit, it's easy for the towel to "bunch up". If I used one every two weeks, it costs me $4 on the year.

Oh, I've never once threw the MFs in a dryer, I have a folding rack, as well as a small "hanging chandelier" type of thing, yes I think I'm at a loss for words.

Last edited by Ilovemycar; 07-11-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:39 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528i
Wash your microfiber towels in hot water separately (don't mix cotton towels with microfiber towels in the washer) using microfiber detergent. NO fabric softener in the washer or dryer. Dry the towels on the "warm" dryer setting.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:15 AM

Mein Auto: Jaguar XKE
I like the sound of the Groit's Window Buddy, their description sounds good, I must try one
Old 07-12-2012, 03:19 AM

Mein Auto: Jaguar XKE
[ok.. this might sound stupid.. .but i'm going to ask anyway]

[There is no such thing as a stupid question, only the question left unasked] Anon

"Proper Micro fibre Care" - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...ml#post1497723