Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i
BMW Trade assist

Hey guys, I am going throught a issue and apparently BMW is doing a BMW trade assist.
I bought a F30 about 2 weeks ago, at 130 miles I recieved a powertrain error and the vehicle changed . in two occasions while doing 40ishMPH, the car shut off and I had to manuever to the side of the road. another issue was that the vehicle would engage the ASS but when I tried to start it would stay off and the vehicle will go into Neutral (Auto).

I end up having the car towed and they have had it for over week. the sales manager recently told me that they are in contact with BMW and are trying to do a BMW trade assist. has anyone gone through this? and if so could you tell me about your experience or what are "my rights" through this process?

Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
Old 07-11-2012, 07:48 AM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
Search trade assist. Lots of people have gone through it. Basically, and depending on circumstances, they give you a new car at little or no cost to you.

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 07-12-2012, 11:36 AM

Thanks for the reply Kevin, I have searched but no one really has anything official.

My big worry is that I only had the car for 5 days and I don't want to lose any money, I read stories of people who drove for a month and BMW assist + their vehicle trade still forces than to pay out of pocket to maintain their monthly payment.

Also, I read that BMW gives you a new car at wholesale, is this true? should i ensure my dealer doesn't try and make a profit from this and just give me all they can? after all I know they did get a nice chunk.

and last but not least, do I get to choose a vehicle I want or it has to be same color/features? ( i don't mind paying extra because I do regret not having the HK system.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 E92 335ix, '13 S4
I've done a trade assist before. I think it depends on how much of a hassle you've been put through, how long you've been without wheels (dealer gave you a loaner, right?), etc. It also depends on how much money BMW has to "eat" to trade you into another vehicle. I would imagine that the choice is going to be limited to what the dealer has on the lot, and how close those choices come to your current car.

I wouldn't say that the offer will be no out of pocket, but you want to get as close to that ideal as you can.

In short, I don't think there's one hard and fast rule with trade assist. I think each case is different. Therefore, each "deal" for trade assist is different. It's called TRADE ASSIST. Not SWAP OUT FOR NO MONEY OUT OF POCKET. They'll ASSIST you by throwing some money at the trade to allow the dealer to make a deal with you for another car.

Good luck. Sounds like yours is going quickly. Mine took over 2 months.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:50 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
im going through the process now due to the steering wheel vibration issue. it wasnt easy to get the ball rolling at first, but after some discussion to exit the brand and return the car, a call to BMW north america and a meeting with the GM, i am now waiting for a 2013 m sport with additional options at no cost to me. My dealer really came through for me and i couldnt be happier.

my advice is to go above your CA and Sales Manager and ask to speak with the GM. Explain your situation and that youre thinking of changing brands, and your trade assist process should start right away. If they dont give you much information, give BMWNA a call and tell them your unhappy. In my case, they built me a new car for order within minutes of my meeting with the GM. BMW really wants you to be satisfied with your car and they will help you out. If your dealer can get allocation, see if theyll trade you into a 2013. If not, have them search the inventory to find something that fits your equipment. My dealer was offering me a 335 well equipped but i didnt want the bigger engine... maybe consider a base 528, or an x3?

If you are persistent, patient and communicative, theyll get you into a new car without a cost to you. just my 2 cents. hope that helps
Old 07-13-2012, 10:13 AM

Soundguy, I think as far the hassle part, The car turned off on me while driving at around 45mph, I lost powersteering and brakes were hard which is why I think I think BMW should go out of their way to satisfy me .

Joker, thanks for your info according to the sales manager BMW will put me in a 2013 328i.

The differences are the following,
-My first 2012 328i, was a jet black, premiun pkg, tech, cold weather pkg and lighting
pkg.

-the proposed 2013 will be a 328i, metallic paint, premiun pkg, tech pkg, cold weather
pkg, lighting pkg, and HK system.

what my sale manager is saying is that I would have to pay for the paint and HK system. Do you guys think I should go with that or fight for more? I wanted the Sport line aswell but I don't know if this would be asking for too much.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:32 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
well i would fight for more. if you have the option to build a 2013, the price has increased. i would definitely give them a hassle about any additional charges though. talk to the GM...go above the Sales manager and things will get done.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: 12 328i
I have also done a trade assist due to the vibration issue.
Essentially all you are doing is trading your current vehicle in for a new one.
BMW "assists your trade value" by adding more money than the dealer would give you so that you get somewhere between what the wholesale value and what you paid for it. Hopefully it will be closer to or match what you paid for it. But say for example if you had your car for 10 months and put 12,000 miles on it you probably wouldn't get your original paid price.
So big picture you are just simply trading your car in with a inflated trade in value.
Good Luck!
Old 07-13-2012, 01:49 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalusmc View Post
Soundguy, I think as far the hassle part, The car turned off on me while driving at around 45mph, I lost powersteering and brakes were hard which is why I think I think BMW should go out of their way to satisfy me .

Joker, thanks for your info according to the sales manager BMW will put me in a 2013 328i.

The differences are the following,
-My first 2012 328i, was a jet black, premiun pkg, tech, cold weather pkg and lighting
pkg.

-the proposed 2013 will be a 328i, metallic paint, premiun pkg, tech pkg, cold weather
pkg, lighting pkg, and HK system.

what my sale manager is saying is that I would have to pay for the paint and HK system. Do you guys think I should go with that or fight for more? I wanted the Sport line aswell but I don't know if this would be asking for too much.
Consider dumping cold weather package and just getting heated seats on the new one. The price difference is $700. The 2013 cars all have the split rear fold down seat, so all you are getting now for the extra $$ is a heated steering wheel and heated headlamp washers as well as heated rear seats.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:39 PM

Mein Auto: '13 335i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
Consider dumping cold weather package and just getting heated seats on the new one. The price difference is $700. The 2013 cars all have the split rear fold down seat, so all you are getting now for the extra $$ is a heated steering wheel and heated headlamp washers as well as heated rear seats.
Invoice on cold weather package for 2012 was $1235, but for 2013 it is $865 (because split folding rear seats are now standard) and invoice on heated seats is $455 ('12 and '13) so the extra $410 gets you a heated steering wheel (available a la carte for $175 invoice in '12, but now only available as part of the package), heated rear seats, and headlamp washers.
Aug 20, 2012 ED pickup (Re-delivered 9/29/2012): 2013 335i M Sport, 6MT, Alpine White, Leather Dakota Coral Red, High-gloss black trim, Tech Package, Cold Weather Package, Dynamic Handling Package, rearview camera, park distance control, red M Performance brakes, M Performance exhaust, H&R Sport springs, M Performance grilles, matched reflectors, F10 M5 rep wheels, BMS clutch stop
Old 07-25-2012, 10:43 AM

Hey guys thanks for all your help, BMW has decided to let me get away with a slightly higher price vehicle and I order following:

328i Base Melbourne Red Metallic, Black leather, lighting package, Premiun Package, Technology Package, heated front seats, Harman Kardon .

I though of dropping the Tech and getting the Sport line + Nav but... vehicle is in status 150
Old 07-25-2012, 12:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalusmc View Post
Hey guys thanks for all your help, BMW has decided to let me get away with a slightly higher price vehicle and I order following:

328i Base Melbourne Red Metallic, Black leather, lighting package, Premiun Package, Technology Package, heated front seats, Harman Kardon .

I though of dropping the Tech and getting the Sport line + Nav but... vehicle is in status 150
That is very similar spec to mine, and it's a great car, but I also wish I had gone for Sportline. Problem is these options really start to add up...
Old 07-25-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
That is very similar spec to mine, and it's a great car, but I also wish I had gone for Sportline. Problem is these options really start to add up...
Seriously, I really wanted to drop the tech package because I am a Droid user and most of the lil things were BMW Apps related and the heads up display was not a big deal. I think the Sport line or the parking sensors were more useful for me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App