Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:37 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Woohoo! It's finally up

Good write up. I'm surprised that other sites haven't published any reviews yet.
Thank you, sir! Ask me any question you would like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11leven View Post
Nice and simple - good job Mike
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Yeah, good review. Different question, apparently the white color on the 2013's as the one you had is new for the model year. It looks like a pretty clean white from your pictures like the Audi white without much if any yellow hue. Was that your impression as well that the white is close to that of the Q7 you have now or a bit more off-white like the BMW AW? Weird question I know but there is no white 2013 at our local dealer and we are thinking of going white this time. The 21 inch wheels on your test vehicle makes little sense on an SUV to me. We will be getting the 18 wheels ( optional five spokes ). Although they look a bit sad we will need this for our use which will include off-road driving and blasting over huge gravel pot holes in the mountains in winter on backroads with slush,ice and snow with the usual hidden stuff that can messup a rim and send earth quakes through the chassi on low profiles. Also we want to have the option to fit regular chains. The 18s are 55 profile which should be ok even if 60 or 65 would be better.
I found the white to be a bit creamy (plus, my photo car was kinda dirty after about 10 minutes. BMW's white has a brighter "blue" to it, while Porsche's has a "yellow" hue.

BTW, I spent the day at the Nurburgring with a famous German automaker. Late this afternoon, they took me for a very high speed run through the local countryside in a top secret development test mule. Unfortunately, I can't tell you anything else for another two weeks (I signed pages and pages of NDA forms).

Not being allowed to talk sucks.

-Mike

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'15 Volkswagen Golf TDI 6MT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as Editor-in-Chief for Autoweb!
Old 09-17-2012, 03:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission View Post

Thank you.

I found the white to be a bit creamy (plus, my photo car was kinda dirty after about 10 minutes. BMW's white has a brighter "blue" to it, while Porsche's has a "yellow" hue.

BTW, I spent the day at the Nurburgring with a famous German automaker. Late this afternoon, they took me for a very high speed run through the local countryside in a top secret development test mule. Unfortunately, I can't tell you anything else for another two weeks (I signed pages and pages of NDA forms).

Not being allowed to talk sucks.

-Mike
Mike great, write up! Hope the test mule's chassis code starts with a F and ends with a 5 lol

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 09-17-2012, 04:03 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
Mike great, write up! Hope the test mule's chassis code starts with a F and ends with a 5 lol
I believe I am allowed to tell you the vehicle (enough people snapped pictures of us on the public roads)... Porsche 918 Spyder. I can't wait to write this one up.

- Mike

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Quote:
I believe I am allowed to tell you the vehicle (enough people snapped pictures of us on the public roads)... Porsche 918 Spyder. I can't wait to write this one up.

- Mike
Wow, great to see that they are working on the rumored cars. I'm waiting for the Pajun which I hope will be available around 2015 when I likely will trade my M3. It will likely be either the Pajun, the new M3 or the 2nd generation Panamera.

Hmmm...so still yellow undertones in the Cayenne white. Crap I don't really like that, I had hoped it would be more of a clean icy white like Audi's. I guess it's to reduce glare in very sunny locations.

Last edited by solstice; 09-17-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:51 PM

Deleted.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:10 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:

- Mike
I'm jealous

I'm glad that Porsche is actively showing off prototypes and pictures of the mules though. They're aren't hiding everything, like Ferrari is with the new F70 (or whatever its called)
Old 09-17-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Wow, great to see that they are working on the rumored cars. I'm waiting for the Pajun which I hope will be available around 2015 when I likely will trade my M3. It will likely be either the Pajun, the new M3 or the 2nd generation Panamera.
I think the Pajun is further down the pipeline than 2015. I was reading somewhere that the next generation A6 and Pajun will share a chassis, but the C7 A6 just came out.

Quote:

Hmmm...so still yellow undertones in the Cayenne white. Crap I don't really like that, I had hoped it would be more of a clean icy white like Audi's. I guess it's to reduce glare in very sunny locations.
I'm sure Porsche will let you order that Audi color if you pay them. Audi lets you order Porsche colors, if you ask nicely
Old 09-17-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:

-Mike
Mike, I've read in more than one place that Porsche is pushing 5k (what is this, 2000?) service intervals for the diesel. Is this correct?

Is Porsche really trying to save their ass on poor quality diesel fuels in the US?
Old 09-17-2012, 11:04 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Quote:
Mike, I've read in more than one place that Porsche is pushing 5k (what is this, 2000?) service intervals for the diesel. Is this correct?

Is Porsche really trying to save their ass on poor quality diesel fuels in the US?
There is a long story behind that... not Porsche's fault. It is interesting that you noticed the service interval differences. I'll fill everyone in when I go to the airport in about eight hours (plenty of time to type).

I will also ask Porsche about the different white whites.

- Mike

Old 09-18-2012, 04:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328d xdrive
I don't get this either, especially using synthetic oil. I also heard that Canadian Cayenne Diesel oil change intervals are around 10k. How can it be different in Canada than the US? Maintenance is already expensive on the Cayenne, now if oil changes are every 5k - that makes it really expensive when you drive 20,000 miles a year like we do.

I know Porsche buyers are supposed to have money, but talk about throwing money down the drain.

Quote:

Old 09-18-2012, 08:14 AM
Automotive Monomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBV View Post
I don't get this either, especially using synthetic oil. I also heard that Canadian Cayenne Diesel oil change intervals are around 10k. How can it be different in Canada than the US? Maintenance is already expensive on the Cayenne, now if oil changes are every 5k - that makes it really expensive when you drive 20,000 miles a year like we do.

I know Porsche buyers are supposed to have money, but talk about throwing money down the drain.
Two states have really crappy gas (Minnesota and ?). Long service intervals are based on good fuel (aka clean oil). Since Porsche cannot guarantee that its vehicles are not drinking crap fuel (possibly destroying the engine), it must require everyone in the US to have 5,000 mile services. It sucks, but one has to blame the states, not the automaker.

Since BMW pays for oil changes, it has decided that replacing a few engines under warranty is less expensive than having all owners come in every 5,000 miles.

- Mike

Old 09-18-2012, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Mike, nice review of the Cayenne in AK! I was surprised in your comparison graph you neglected the most obvious competitor the T-egg! To me that would have been the most obvious car since many (not me) consider the Cayenne to be just a tarted up T-egg. Since for MY '13 all the VA(P)G "big" diesels will get the 240 hp stage II engine that should be interesting to see how the two most closely related perform together. Would also like to see how the new Q5 TDI fits into that matrix as well. Thanks for getting the review out there, you are the second one to hit the AK junket so far that I have seen.

Last edited by UncleJ; 09-18-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:53 AM

Mein Auto: was 530d, is X5d 2011
Will Audi require 5k mile oil service in their US spec 3.0 TDI models (MY2014)? That will be the same engine as PC diesel, right?

Quote:
Two states have really crappy gas (Minnesota and ?). Long service intervals are based on good fuel (aka clean oil). Since Porsche cannot guarantee that its vehicles are not drinking crap fuel (possibly destroying the engine), it must require everyone in the US to have 5,000 mile services. It sucks, but one has to blame the states, not the automaker.

Since BMW pays for oil changes, it has decided that replacing a few engines under warranty is less expensive than having all owners come in every 5,000 miles.

- Mike

WTB: spare tire kit
Old 09-18-2012, 10:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
last i checked...the porche had 50hp less...am i the only one who is bringing this up? x5 would stomp porche
Old 09-18-2012, 11:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 & 2012 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicsx5d View Post
last i checked...the porche had 50hp less...am i the only one who is bringing this up? x5 would stomp porche
Actually, Cayenne diesel is 25 hp less (240 vs. 265 on the X5). Torque is 19 less on the cayenne, 406 vs 425...
Old 09-18-2012, 11:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 & 2012 X5 35d
Quote:

- Mike
I am so glad I've been doing in-between oil changes at around 5,500-6,000 miles on our X5 d as I intend to keep the vehicle for a long time...
Old 09-18-2012, 11:16 AM

This is interesting because all three makers (Audi, Porsche, VW) require diff't intervals for the SAME engine.

VW is every 10k regardless, due to VW Carefree maintenance.

Audi is first 5k, and then every 10k after that.

Porsche is every 5k.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
This is interesting because all three makers (Audi, Porsche, VW) require diff't intervals for the SAME engine.

VW is every 10k regardless, due to VW Carefree maintenance.

Audi is first 5k, and then every 10k after that.

Porsche is every 5k.
It is kind of like how performance stickers add HP to any car. Just in this case the badge on your hood/grill is what determines how reliable the engine will be. Either that or VW and Audi just do not sell vehicles in the two states with crummy fuel
Old 09-18-2012, 11:55 AM

Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
How is crappy fuel contaminating engine oil????

I can see fuel system failures but I'm not sure I understand how it is fouling the oil. Perhaps a mechanical or chemical engineer can help out?

Jay
Old 09-18-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jashearer View Post
How is crappy fuel contaminating engine oil????

I can see fuel system failures but I'm not sure I understand how it is fouling the oil. Perhaps a mechanical or chemical engineer can help out?

Jay
The piston rings do not provide a 100% seal. There is always a minimal exchange between combustion and lubrication side as the cylinder moves up and down. I.e fuel and combustion residue will overtime dilute the oil and some oil will be burnt off hence the need to re-fill oil and perform oil changes. Dirty fuel would foul the oil quicker.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:30 PM

Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
Quote:
The piston rings do not provide a 100% seal. There is always a minimal exchange between combustion and lubrication side as the cylinder moves up and down. I.e fuel and combustion residue will overtime dilute the oil and some oil will be burnt off hence the need to re-fill oil and perform oil changes. Dirty fuel would foul the oil quicker.
I understand that concept, but I find it hard to believe that dirty fuel (which must pass through the same filter as clean fuel) in the PPM that gets by the rings would result in halving the oil change interval. Maybe the foul fuel results in incomplete combustion which causes more leak by????

Perhaps they are changing out the fuel filters at the same time and that is the reason????

Off-Topic: Anyone know what the fuel filter change interval on the X5 is? I change the one on my truck every other oil change so around 20k miles. I'm also wagering the one on my truck is a LOT bigger then the one of the X5.

Keep the guesses coming.

Jay
Old 09-18-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jashearer View Post
I understand that concept, but I find it hard to believe that dirty fuel (which must pass through the same filter as clean fuel) in the PPM that gets by the rings would result in halving the oil change interval. Maybe the foul fuel results in incomplete combustion which causes more leak by????

Perhaps they are changing out the fuel filters at the same time and that is the reason????

Off-Topic: Anyone know what the fuel filter change interval on the X5 is? I change the one on my truck every other oil change so around 20k miles. I'm also wagering the one on my truck is a LOT bigger then the one of the X5.

Keep the guesses coming.

Jay
I would guess that a lower grade fuel would result in more residue in the combustion chamber, soot etc and with that a larger volume will find it's way to the engine oil per cycle. High quality fuel burns cleaner.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:26 PM

Mein Auto: X5M 50d
There is a 4.2ltr diesel V8 Porsche Cayenne supposed to be coming. Its a pitty you don't get the X5m 50d, its got 381hp and 746nm torque. The V8 diesel Porsche is supposed to have 100nm more? don't think BMW will standby and let it get beat.
X5 M50d White, 20"rims, Adaptive Drive, HUD, Xenon Adapt Lights, Rear/Side Camera, Sunroof, Auto Tailgate, Comfort Access, Active Perforated Ventilated Comfort Seats, M Paddle Shift, Active Crus, Stop/Go, Proff Nav + TV, DAB, 16 Spk Ind HiFi, USB, Internet, Apps, 4 Zone Air, Towbar 20% Tint, 5mm Castor Bushes, Yellow Calipers, Ceramic Pads

Last edited by watrob; 09-18-2012 at 10:32 PM.

Deleted
X5 M50d White, 20"rims, Adaptive Drive, HUD, Xenon Adapt Lights, Rear/Side Camera, Sunroof, Auto Tailgate, Comfort Access, Active Perforated Ventilated Comfort Seats, M Paddle Shift, Active Crus, Stop/Go, Proff Nav + TV, DAB, 16 Spk Ind HiFi, USB, Internet, Apps, 4 Zone Air, Towbar 20% Tint, 5mm Castor Bushes, Yellow Calipers, Ceramic Pads

Last edited by watrob; 09-18-2012 at 10:30 PM.

Deleted

Last edited by watrob; 09-18-2012 at 10:30 PM.