Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
We just came back from a 400 mile ( over two days ) mainly hwy road trip in our new 2013 base Cayenne that we picked up this Friday. All I can say is wow, what a hwy vehicle this is. So relaxing to drive with superb road manners and with the best quality feel of any vehicle I've driven to date. From the driver's seat this feels like a $100k and above car. No fatigue what so ever. I'd take a decked out turbo over an M5 for a cannonball run...
Old 12-30-2012, 09:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
This is wrong. Treg's first service is 10k and then every 10k after that.
I talked to four VW dealers in the past three days and they all mentioned it coming back in a few thousand miles for some sort of checkup. Two of them even said they come out and pick it up for the service. They all said it was a VW thing. Perhaps they just don't know their product/service, the first dealer definitely had an idiot to deal with. I honesty don't care enough to fact check them since highly doubt I will buy one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
The comparison to your truck is invalid because American cars have poor resale in general and the diesel isn't a very rare variant of them. Comparing the petrol and diesel versions of various German cars, the diesel is always worth more. Used 335d cost close to 335i prices.
All I can compare to is my actual experiences. I have owned a number of 126 chassis Mercedes over the past couple of decades. The diesels never fetched more than the gas ones. But if a 335d fetches the same as a 335i, which is how I read your response, then puts me right back at my original point of I'd not use potentional higher resale value down the line as a reason to buy one over another. If it happens to fetch more come time to sell then great but my personal experience with diesels is I have yet to own one that fetched more than the gas version.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 35d Sport Pkg
I bought my X5 diesel new less than 2 yrs ago. My car is fairly loaded with the sport suspension and 20" 275/40 fronts and 315/35 rears. Drives and performs very well for a big car. My car seems to throw a lot of Check Engine Light errors related to the exhaust system. It seems very complicated and seems to have a lot servo motors and sensors to clean the exhaust. I just had to replace the urea tank. It was covered under warranty but would have cost me $1200 plus 4.5 hrs of labor. I like the low end torque of the diesel but not sure if I would take this option again.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:14 AM

Mein Auto: 550i
not apples to apples

The OP ponders Cayenne vs. BMW diesel.

Haven't driven Cayenne diesel, have seat time in the X5d

Cayenne is in another price bracket period. Think of them like 7 series SUVs.

MSRPs dont tell the whole story. BMWs come with MUCH more standard equipment Which means Cayenne MSRP + $14,000 in options = BMW X5/6

Next, little or no incentives from Porsche, mediocre lease rates and residuals and rather high (but typically infrequent) service costs.

In my lay assessment..Median X5 price is probably @ $62,000. Cayenne is more like $76,000.00. Its in another bracket. It really is. Price wise that is... And probably for this reason your 'average' Cayenne is less optioned than a BMW. i.e. I've never seen a Cayenne with rear DVD screens - except at an auto show.

I am a certifiable car nut and porsche and BMW owner (13' X6). If the two cars were within a few percentage points of each other I'd buy a Cayenne. I like the more curvaceous styling and I never liked the BMW run flat suspensions (although they have improved significantly). HOWEVER - as a car guy my opinion (with plenty of seat time in a variety of variations of X5/6 and cayenne) is that the Cayenne simply is an equivalent SUV, in no appreciable objective way superior to its BMW counterpart - despite a large price differential. They are expensive - there are fewer on the road and they wear a more hallowed badge - all this combined equates to a public perception of superiority. But it's simply not the case IMHO.

So as for Cayenne diesel vs. X5d - X5d. Get more equipment, no maintenance and more sales incentives.

Regards,
DRP
Old 01-03-2013, 10:29 AM

When I looked last week I drove two X5's both with msrp were around $68-69k, dealer would take off I think it was $5250 after combining incentives. I looked at two Porsches, one $70k and the other $79k, they offered I think it was $2k off. Both X5s had whatever that optional suspension is called along with much more than I can recall. I don't recall what the Porsches had for options but one obviously had a lot more than the other. Comparing the cheaper Porsche to the X5, the Porsche had a ton better ride quality and something that really stuck out for both my wife and I was we thought the quality of the BMW interior was a lot less. BMW had the Porsche beat as far as engine/transmission and actually by far was the most impressive out of all the mid sized diesels we drove. Now we are not overly picky about all the bells and whistles in vehicles, so easily could have overlooked some great features to the BMW that even those two Porsches lacked but at the end of the day we also would not have cared if we missed out on those.

After looking at them all we'd bought the ML350 Bluetec that had a msrp of $58k with $3k off and free A and B services for the life of ownership. That vehicle however was sold by the time we decided and ultimately got nothing since had to buy by end of 2012 for tax reasons. I really debated on the TDI T-egg sport w/nav for $45-48k depending on the dealership since truly seemed like the best deal for the money.

Last edited by Snipe656; 01-03-2013 at 11:28 AM. Reason: misc spelling
Old 01-03-2013, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
^ agreed.

Currently the best diesel on the market seems to be the Porsche, followed by the T-egg. I believe Mercedes may have refined the Bluetec and it has a slight edge over the current X5 diesel and Q7. That being said, most of vehicles on the market have been refreshed complelety except the Q7 and the X5. However even with that fact, they seem to be holding off the competition quite well (something to do with BMW's incentives towards the X5 and Audi's offering of the third row with some exciting tech options).

The only thing that ticks me off about the Cayenne, is
a) there is absolutely zero price negotiations (expected I guess)
b) Maintenance costs are quite a hefty amount every few thousand miles
c) The cargo capacity in the back is limiting (again this is probably expected as Porsche is known for high performance and not huge cargo capacity)

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 01-03-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
^ agreed.

Currently the best diesel on the market seems to be the Porsche, followed by the T-egg. I believe Mercedes may have refined the Bluetec and it has a slight edge over the current X5 diesel and Q7. That being said, most of vehicles on the market have been refreshed complelety except the Q7 and the X5. However even with that fact, they seem to be holding off the competition quite well (something to do with BMW's incentives towards the X5 and Audi's offering of the third row with some exciting tech options).

The only thing that ticks me off about the Cayenne, is
a) there is absolutely zero price negotiations (expected I guess)
b) Maintenance costs are quite a hefty amount every few thousand miles
c) The cargo capacity in the back is limiting (again this is probably expected as Porsche is known for high performance and not huge cargo capacity)
I did have one big beef with the Bluetec and it is actually why I debated for too long to jump on the one I ultimately decided to try for. The transmissions in them just are not shift happy. The best way to describe this is if you are doing around 60-65mph and roll into the throttle while yes it accelerates it does not downshift at all. All of the others to me had a much more expected response to that simple freeway speed test. I think if Mercedes got a little bit more "aggressive" with how their Bluetec transmissions shifted that it would appeal to more people. Then again they seem to sell quite well as is.

I actually in the end decided that even though that method of accelerating is foreign to me and does not instill confidence at freeway speeds that it was more of me just needing to learn a different manufacturers approach. It did bug me for a full day to the point where I went and found a new ML550 to go drive to see if just all MLs do this. The ML550 did not do it at all but then made me want the 550 but those seem harder to find on a lot than even the Bluetec.

One of the X5s we drove had the optional 3rd row seating and the other X5 had a spare tire of all things. The one with the 3rd row seating was a contender for a little bit for us because after we looked at it we thought given the age of our two youngest we could in fact use that back row when in a bind and for the next few years. We'd actually really like to have something that can sit six people in a bind but did not look at the Q7 since lacked appeal to us.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:36 AM

The X5 is equal to the Cayenne until you get some extended seat time in the Cayenne. It is in another class when it comes to quality feel in pretty much everything. It feels like a $100k vehicle which I guess it has to taken the cost of the V8 models and the strength and image of the brand it has to live up to. It costs a lot but I have to admit that after having now driven it for ~500 miles our V6 feels like a bargain at just north of $60k. It feels like a higher quality car than anything in BMWs model range including the 7-series. I would say it's not a fair competitor to the X5 on price or actual quality feel. It is in another league which the price indicates.

I'm not saying that it's faster or handles better or is more fun to drive. All of that is debatable and up to preferences and options but the Cayenne has a feel of impeccable engineering and quality that the X5 can't match.

Last edited by solstice; 01-03-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:04 PM

Mein Auto: 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
The X5 is equal to the Cayenne until you get some extended seat time in the Cayenne. It is in another class when it comes to quality feel in pretty much everything. It feels like a $100k vehicle which I guess it has to taken the cost of the V8 models and the strength and image of the brand it has to live up to. It costs a lot but I have to admit that after having now driven it for ~500 miles our V6 feels like a bargain at just north of $60k. It feels like a higher quality car than anything in BMWs model range including the 7-series. I would say it's not a fair competitor to the X5 on price or actual quality feel. It is in another league which the price indicates.

I'm not saying that it's faster or handles better or is more fun to drive. All of that is debatable and up to preferences and options but the Cayenne has a feel of impeccable engineering and quality that the X5 can't match.
I had a 2011 Cayenne S loaner last week with an original sticker of $83,000. As a car guy I'm going to attempt an explanation at what you mean when you say "feels..quality". The Cayenne uses the Tuareg chassis. An excellent platform at the top of the VW scale, like the phaeton. The X5/6 use the prior generation 5 series chassis (09' X5 uses 04' E60 chassis). The 5 series has long been a candidate for best car in the world (size vs. handling etc..) So why does the Cayenne "feel" more "quality oriented? (which I agree with BTW). The X5 or any BMW SUV for that matter is very tightly sprung. Add to that run flat tires that have rock hard side walls and you have a ride that transmits a lot of road 'noise' (pavement imperfections etc..) to the cabin. Why do that right? Its simply the price to be paid for the BMW handling. Its why the X5 feels small (the cayenne drives bigger). Its why the X5 doesn't lean much, and why it can hold a corner so well even at over 5000 lbs. The Cayenne uses a more 1990s approach - like a mercedes. It's ride is not soft, but not hard at all. It controls roll well, but where is shines IMHO is when you push it (sampled this on the highway at triple digits - was very impressed). It doesn't get as flabby as you think it will based on the ride when you're not pushing it. Kudos to the Porsche engineers there. Softer more compliant suspension makes the car more comfortable as the suspension absorbs energy and it also makes the car feel heavier which subjectively imparts a sense of luxury - like a Rolls or S class. That's why Cayenne feels more quality IMHO. I bet the competition spec trans-siberia Cayenne with race suspension did not have that feeling

Thing is, most SUV buyers probably prefer the more comfortable ride with good handling vs. sharper handling with a poorer ride quality. I don't like the way SUVs ride in general which is why I like the BMW more. It's mor car like due to its tighter suspension setup and that to me is worth the ride penalty. The 2011' Cayenne was a bit more trucky IMHO. In fact, I think the X5/X6 is the most sporty BMW -relatively - left in the line up candidly. The M3 and 5 have gone main stream. Heavy and comfortable. The 3 series is still a sporty ride. The 7 is not. And the new 5 while super comfortable and fast on paper is rather lifeless to drive (suspension is not aggressive enough)

I think things should stay the way they are. I like the cayenne the way it is, and I like the X5/6 being stiff and very german (unemotional). I just wish - for the love of god - Cayenne owners would recognize that the Porsche badge does not mean the Cayenne is the 911 of SUVs (as you said - I'm not saying that it's faster or handles better or is more fun to drive). Many people I have come across think it is...just b/c of the badge.

I mean, if Land Rover made a sports car, does that mean it would it be better off road than any other sports car in the world?

Regards,
DRP

Last edited by 550isport; 01-03-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550isport View Post
Thing is, most SUV buyer probably prefer the more comfortable ride with good handling vs. sharper handling with a poorer ride quality. I think the X5/X6 is the most sporty BMW -relatively - left in the line up candidly. The M3 and 5 have gone main stream. Heavy and comfortable. The 3 series is still a sporty ride. The 7 is not.
I was actually rather fearful of how the X5 might ride on some of our wagon trails down here we call city roads. That fear came from how it road on the near perfect roads I got to test drive them on. Meaning I did not get a chance to go down roads like what I commonly encounter during my commute. My wife, who normally never comments on ride quality, expressed the same concerns. Actually my 11 year old daughter, who was with us for the MBZ, BMW and VW test drives, who routinely is oblivious to a vehicles surroundings also made a statement about the ride quality of the X5.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:24 PM

550isport, well said though the quality feel spans everything not just the ride. The paint, the materials, the smooth hefty feel of moving parts as doors, the fit and finish, the cabin ambience etc, etc. It's in no way a 911 but it is also not a Mercedes. It's a luxury SUV with precision handling, way more so than any Mercedes. It's also relatively light at 4400 lbs which is comparable with an X-drive 5-series. The X5 feels slightly sportier but for an SUV, especially my wife's SUV the Cayenne is hard to beat and should be on your short list if it's within your price range. Especially if you are buying since it also holds value redicolously well. Never mind the brand, the Cayenne is simply a very well rounded and impeccably engineered vehicle on it's own. The E70 X5 is a superb SUV as well but it feels lower grade than the Cayenne with or without the crest.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:31 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Ordered a Porsche diesel last week for the wife. Keeping the X5 because I smile every time I get in it. We thought it would be kind of silly to have tow of the same so decided to give the Porsche a run.

.Cayenne Diesel 92A AV1 Price
BASE Cayenne Diesel 55,750.00
9Q Meteor Grey Metallic 790.00
9Q Meteor Grey Metallic 0.00
MA Standard Interior in Black 0.00
EXT TPMS 0.00
QJ4 ExteriorPackageHigh-glossBlack 150.00
1D6 Trailer Hitch w/o Ball 650.00
1N3 Power Steering Plus 0.00
2ZH Heated3-spokeMultifuncSW 0.00
4F6 Porsche Entry & Drive 1,090.00
9JB Smoker package 0.00
6GH WheelArchExtensions-ExtrColor 1,150.00
C8K 19" Cayenne Turbo Wheel 1,950.00
1BK AirSusp-Selflvl&HeightAdj-PASM 3,965.00
3FU Panorama Roof System 1,850.00
PE5 14-way Power Seats-Memory Pkg 0.00
Q2J 14-way Power Seats-Memory Pkg 0.00
2C4 Memory Package for Electric St 0.00
3PN Memory Package for Electricall 0.00
PU3 Premium Package Plus 10,180.00
3Y8 ElecRollupSunblindRearSideWind 0.00
4A4 Heated Seats Front and Rear 0.00
4D3 Seat Ventilation Front 0.00
4L6 Auto Dimming Interior Rearview 0.00
6XT Automatically Dimming Exterior 0.00
7B6 12-Volt Outlet in Rear Center 0.00
7T1 PCM with Navigation Module 0.00
7X8 ReverCamera-ParkAssisFrontRear 0.00
7Y1 Lane Change Assist (LCA) 0.00
8EA Bi-Xenon(TM) Headlights w/PDLS 0.00
9MB Dimmable Interior LED Lighting 0.00
PU6 Bose(R) Audio Package 2,160.00
QV4 SiriusXM(TM) Sat Radio Rcvr 0.00
7D7 Six-Disc Changer 0.00
9VL BOSE(R) Surround Sound System 0.00
UN1 Online Services 210.00
----------------------
Total with Options $ 79,895.00

Meteor Gray with Black interior, may add roof rails.
Mods : Clear Bra-Radar Hard-wired
So far so good-made on Wednesday
Old 01-03-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgejm View Post
Ordered a Porsche diesel last week for the wife. Keeping the X5 because I smile every time I get in it. We thought it would be kind of silly to have tow of the same so decided to give the Porsche a run.

EXT TPMS 0.00
9JB Smoker package 0.00
----------------------

Congrats! Having both at the same time will make you a good source for comparison notes. ( I didn't really like the Power Steering Plus and opted out of it which in true Porsche spirit was a cost since it could not be deleted from the package and I needed to go a la carte on some options. )
Old 01-03-2013, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto: F350 Diesel 2011
1BK AirSusp-Selflvl&HeightAdj-PASM 3,965.00 looks like you got all the right stuff ...keep us posted ..
Old 01-03-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippa View Post
1BK AirSusp-Selflvl&HeightAdj-PASM 3,965.00 looks like you got all the right stuff ...keep us posted ..
I will, should be in mid March.

solstice, I enjoy the BMW steering feel but the wife not so much especially in parking lots but she really doesn't complain too much. I drove the Porsche and of course the steering change stood out and made think how much I like the BMW feel. I'm a lucky guy to have both and now my wife will have the same "I love my drive" like I have now. She can wait, lol. She's coming from an LS 460, like night and day.

For the posters above about the harsh suspension in the BMW......the AD option is a cure all.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:15 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
550isport, well said though the quality feel spans everything not just the ride. The paint, the materials, the smooth hefty feel of moving parts as doors, the fit and finish, the cabin ambience etc, etc. It's in no way a 911 but it is also not a Mercedes. It's a luxury SUV with precision handling, way more so than any Mercedes. It's also relatively light at 4400 lbs which is comparable with an X-drive 5-series. The X5 feels slightly sportier but for an SUV, especially my wife's SUV the Cayenne is hard to beat and should be on your short list if it's within your price range. Especially if you are buying since it also holds value redicolously well. Never mind the brand, the Cayenne is simply a very well rounded and impeccably engineered vehicle on it's own. The E70 X5 is a superb SUV as well but it feels lower grade than the Cayenne with or without the crest.
I have been in the market for a new suv and have tested a variety of models this past month. I have lifted part of this post from a recent post on the X3 forum but I think it is apropos to repost.

I focused on BMW and Porsche offerings. I drove the X3 35i last year and found it to be a little boring so I concentrated on X5 variants. I drove the X5d, X5 35i, X5 5.0, X6 3.5 all nice. I had fond memories of the X5d steering and given the very generous year end incentives the diesel was clearly the early favorite. However, when I dove it this past month I found the diesel clatter although muffled obtrusive. Moving on to the X5 35i nice but nothing compelling. I tested a M Sport 5.0 and liked it, but found the pervasive sense of weight off putting. Moreover, although the vehicle conveyed a sense of tank-like invulnerability the ride was stiff and less than compliant. On to the X6 I thought it might be fun but my German shepherd hated it. At the end of the day I thought I might drive home in an X5 5.0 M Sport. I came close but did not pull the trigger thinking about the dollars out and the very real possibility that I would take a significant hit in terms of depreciation given the X5's looming replacement - I decided to postpone the decision and ride over to my "friendly" Porsche dealer.

I was able to closely examine a CayenneD and CayenneS. In general , the Cayenne exuded freshness and athleticism. I found the interior modern, sporty, and very comfortable. At $62K the CayenneD was a compelling value vs. the X5d especially given the somewhat dated persona of the BMW. Although the Porsche diesel was a great package overall genetically there must be something in my DNA that keeps me from turning a deaf ear to the diesel clatter Porsche moniker not withstanding. In general, I found the Porsche to drive "small" as opposed to X5 variants that drove "large". I found the CayenneS at $80K to be the better overall choice compared to the BMW X5 5.0 and was tempted but thoughts of my previous experiences servicing my Porsches stopped me. My Porsche experiences have been the stuff of nightmares as opposed to the trouble free and responsive care I have received by my metro DC area dealer - Passport BMW and by BMWNA.

Very frustrated I went back to Passport and drove a X3 35i M Sport in Carbon Black - Hallelujah - did I ever see the light - a feeling of lithe connectivity infused the vehicle - fast - responsive - purposeful - robustly athletic - artfully designed. I felt the very same spirit that worked a special magic in my M3 in the X3 35i M Sport. In short, I ordered the prefect complementing suv to my M3 -
X3 35i M Sport - There Is No Substitute.

Last edited by Capobranco; 01-03-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:26 PM
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black

Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
Quote:

EXT TPMS 0.00
9JB Smoker package 0.00
----------------------

Nice config but what kind of discount did you end up with off that $80K figure? We decided on the X5d because we also (like you) ended up getting closer to the $80K level than the $55K level we paid for our X5 with the same options.

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)
Old 01-03-2013, 01:26 PM

Sounds like a real good combo, enjoy. That M3 looks awesome by the way.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:31 PM

Congrats Capo!

No doubt that BMW has far superior facilities, service and customer care in our area as well. We are rolling the dice though that our lightly optioned Pepper will be like our Pathfinder, trouble free with no dealer communication other than the V6's $150 / year oil changes. I rather have a problem free vehicle with poor dealer backup than superb service with frequent visits to fix issues.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:37 PM

ndabunka, on the 12 X5d I was able to get 11g off sticker total, on the Cayenne about 3g. It is what it is plus I will have to see what the trade value will be at delivery date so the deal is not the highlight of the event. When we drive off with it I will be able to say how we did but at lease I got my wife off of the Panamara which would have hurt the wallet a lot more. Life is short.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:44 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Sounds like a real good combo, enjoy. That M3 looks awesome by the way.
Quote:
Congrats Capo!

No doubt that BMW has far superior facilities, service and customer care in our area as well. We are rolling the dice though that our lightly optioned Pepper will be like our Pathfinder, trouble free with no dealer communication other than the V6's $150 / year oil changes. I rather have a problem free vehicle with poor dealer backup than superb service with frequent visits to fix issues.
Thanks guys!

Solstice - you have a great stable! I never really thought of Porsche as the value play (except vis-a vis exotics), but my Junker friends really threw down the proverbial gauntlet. I have long criticized Porsche for making you pay dearly for even a so so uninspired interior, but even the relatively base CayenneD at 62K that I tested was gorgeous. The new BMW X5 will need to be very good indeed. Likewise, the forthcoming Porsche Macan should provide an interesting challenge to my X3 35i M Sport ...
Old 01-03-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
Moreover, although the vehicle conveyed a sense of tank-like invulnerability the ride was stiff and less than compliant.
The stiff ride is not present when you have Adaptive Drive. It smoothed everything out. 20" tires has been known to be problematic. If you stick with 19", that is the supposed to make a night a day difference. In my case, I like my 18". I don't think I will ever switch out for 19" rim.

The sound of diesel is definitely an issue if it bugs you.

I would not characterize X5 as tank like invulnerability. I was tossing the X5 around on some really nice curvy roads like the one that limits the speed limit ranges from 35 to 10 mph (10mph is a really sharp turn.) The X5 perform really well, but I had some hard time with the steering. The steering takes too many turns to hit the limits. When you go around that 10 mph turn with right turn, you have to correct it back before the next turn. If I don't position my two hands correctly, then I can over shoot the turn. Its too bad they don't offer adaptive steering in X5 35D. I think I would enjoy that.

Yes, the X5 went over some pot holes during those curvy road too. I never thought California had bad roads until the major down pour about a week ago. That exposed tons of pot holes. Not all can be avoided by careful steering. However, my butt meter tells me its all okay.

On the good news, the steering is very precise and good feedback of the condition of the road. You just change the angle and wheel responds. I can even feel when I hit something a little slippery. That must be the magic BMW steering doing all the work.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrycyao View Post
The stiff ride is not present when you have Adaptive Drive. It smoothed everything out. 20" tires has been known to be problematic. If you stick with 19", that is the supposed to make a night a day difference. In my case, I like my 18". I don't think I will ever switch out for 19" rim.

The sound of diesel is definitely an issue if it bugs you.
The X5s I looked at last week both had the Adaptive Drive and both on 20" tires, I'd definitely classify it as a stiff ride when comparing to the ride feel of all the other SUVs I drove those two days.

To me the X5 diesel was the only diesel that really had a sound to the engine. I did not think it sounded like a diesel at all but I own some older diesel vehicles so my perception is probably tainted. I thought from inside the X5 that the engine sounded actually nice over the others which essentially had zero engine/exhaust sounds.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:14 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
I talked to four VW dealers in the past three days and they all mentioned it coming back in a few thousand miles for some sort of checkup. Two of them even said they come out and pick it up for the service. They all said it was a VW thing.
Finally got my Macbook back from repair, so I can reply to things!

There's a complementary 6k mile checkup, but they don't do anything

http://www.vw.com/en/owners/parts-an...intenance.html

I know with the Touareg, they are doing loaners/ pickup+dropoff because the Touareg owners are more "upscale" than the average Passat/Jetta owner
Old 01-03-2013, 07:18 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post

All I can compare to is my actual experiences. I have owned a number of 126 chassis Mercedes over the past couple of decades. The diesels never fetched more than the gas ones. But if a 335d fetches the same as a 335i, which is how I read your response, then puts me right back at my original point of I'd not use potentional higher resale value down the line as a reason to buy one over another. If it happens to fetch more come time to sell then great but my personal experience with diesels is I have yet to own one that fetched more than the gas version.
Must be different in Texas. In the Northeast, people can't get enough of the diesels. My local dealer has a used X5d for about the same price as a new one with 10k miles on it! When I traded in my Jetta Sportwagen TDI, the BMW dealer was ecstatic that it was a diesel. I think it lasted a day on their lot. And I got a great trade-in number on it. Significantly more than if it was a petrol model