Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: German
some new test drive videos. I got off youtube

Old 02-27-2013, 07:23 AM

and back to the Jeep. Review from Autoblog

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/26/2...kee-ecodiesel/

Looks really bloated in this picture.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Thought I should bump this thread. lots of new stuff

http://www.freep.com/article/2013022...sey=nav%7Chead

This green is gorgeous!

Looks like more diesels for us in the future from Porsche!
That green is very close to the color of our first(and oddly enough favorite) Porsche 928 we owned. I really hope a diesel Panamera comes over by the time I'd be wanting to buy another car. Figuring the "S" diesel SUV will never make it over here or not by the time I will want to buy another vehicle.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:43 AM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:

I just can't get over the price. I have spent tons of time with the Jeep GC, and $50,000+ just doesn't add up...

More on Porsche's future diesel plans (my new site):

http://flat6news.com/blog/success-of...urning-models/

- Mike

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Old 02-27-2013, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d Sport
Porsche would do well to again consider a "baby Boxster" as it should, IMHO, a version of the prototype VW Bluesport's diesel powerplant.

Not only would this "new" 356-like vehicle satisfy the new regulations and give breathing room to the bigger gasser cars, but it would resurrect a market Porsche has abandoned: the "entry level" sports car.

Lets not forget how many overall LeMans wins Porsche has lately (0) and how many Audi/Peugeot have with their turbo-diesels (8).

My $.02

PL

Last edited by Pierre Louis; 02-27-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:21 AM
Automotive Monomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
Porsche would do well to again consider a "baby Boxster" as it should, IMHO, a version of the prototype VW Bluesport's diesel powerplant.

Not only would this "new" 356-like vehicle satisfy the new regulations and give breathing room to the bigger gasser cars, but it would resurrect a market Porsche has abandoned: the "entry level" sports car.

Lets not forget how many overall LeMans wins Porsche has lately (0) and how many Audi/Peugeot have with their turbo-diesels (8).

My $.02

PL
I am quite sure Porsche will come out with a 2.0-liter flat-4 and a smaller entry level vehicle as described above.

That said, I don't see Porsche ever worrying about lower cost product as they seem to have no problem selling at the current price point (plus, younger people are still aspiring to have a Porsche — Buick doesn't have that luxury).

- Mike

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:54 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Mike nice new site. I wondered about the diesel 911 comment. Just for grins -- Subie has a flat 4 diesel! How hard could it be for Porsche to do it????? Never happen of course.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:06 AM
Automotive Monomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Mike nice new site. I wondered about the diesel 911 comment. Just for grins -- Subie has a flat 4 diesel! How hard could it be for Porsche to do it????? Never happen of course.
Thanks. I haven't told anyone about it (you are the first outsider to see it), as I am waiting to announce after the Geneva Motor Show. Just putting content up these days.

Of course Porsche could do it.

- Mike

Old 02-27-2013, 09:11 AM

So I was messing with some combos on the build-your-own. Check this interior combo.

Two-tone Espresso/Umber interior in Natural Leather

On the seats, the full leather interior is $3,655, and then the beautiful two-tone combo is an extra $1940 on top of that. If you get the adaptive seats, the whole combo costs $7800 from the base seats!

Old 02-27-2013, 09:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission View Post
I am quite sure Porsche will come out with a 2.0-liter flat-4 and a smaller entry level vehicle as described above.

That said, I don't see Porsche ever worrying about lower cost product as they seem to have no problem selling at the current price point (plus, younger people are still aspiring to have a Porsche — Buick doesn't have that luxury).

- Mike
The status quo has a habit of changing - sometimes back to where it was during more difficult times.

The days of Porsche as "the most profitable car-maker" with its current premium pricing, control of inventory, lack of restraint in option pricing, etc. are due to change. How and when is anyone's guess.

VW ownership may support Porsche as its premium performance brand. But is it still the car an aspiring engineer or artist may wish to own, with roots in a more humble status like the VW Beetle? Its unbelievable that Corvette can now be considered an alternative and that many other cars can now be considered as "the ultimate in personal transportation" that can handle and accelerate as well or better.

But Porsche's research into driving dynamics will always be better and the 911 will always have better track presence due to its rear weight bias, so I can only hope they find it possible and beneficial to spread their craft to more customers without compromising their standards.

PL
Old 02-27-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
I just can't get over the price. I have spent tons of time with the Jeep GC, and $50,000+ just doesn't add up...

- Mike
Yeah, at that price point, it's a tough sell, unless you have to off-road. The average consumer (and me ) would gravitate towards a BMW/Audi/MB at that point.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:35 AM
Automotive Monomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
The status quo has a habit of changing - sometimes back to where it was during more difficult times.

The days of Porsche as "the most profitable car-maker" with its current premium pricing, control of inventory, lack of restraint in option pricing, etc. are due to change. How and when is anyone's guess.

VW ownership may support Porsche as its premium performance brand. But is it still the car an aspiring engineer or artist may wish to own, with roots in a more humble status like the VW Beetle? Its unbelievable that Corvette can now be considered an alternative and that many other cars can now be considered as "the ultimate in personal transportation" that can handle and accelerate as well or better.

But Porsche's research into driving dynamics will always be better and the 911 will always have better track presence due to its rear weight bias, so I can only hope they find it possible and beneficial to spread their craft to more customers without compromising their standards.

PL
I agree with everything you say.

I also feel the new Corvette is the performance bargain of the year. It will dust the Porsche 911.

- Mike

Old 02-27-2013, 10:46 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
I agree with everything you say.

I also feel the new Corvette is the performance bargain of the year. It will dust the Porsche 911.

- Mike
That seem to be the new direction of the American sports car. It used to be about muscle cars. Now things can turn. Watch out European auto makers. I wonder if Ford Mustang will follow the trend as well.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:50 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrycyao View Post
That seem to be the new direction of the American sports car. It used to be about muscle cars. Now things can turn. Watch out European auto makers. I wonder if Ford Mustang will follow the trend as well.
The industry, as a whole, is getting better and better. It is good news for all of us.

I really enjoy hearing good things about the Cayenne, as it means BMW has to push harder on its next design.

Wait until the new S-Class debuts.

- Mike

Old 02-27-2013, 11:12 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Quote:
The industry, as a whole, is getting better and better. It is good news for all of us.

I really enjoy hearing good things about the Cayenne, as it means BMW has to push harder on its next design.

Wait until the new S-Class debuts.

- Mike
Someone got a sneak peak at the new S-Class :P

But lets be honest here, as Jeremy the Ape Clarkson mentioned in his review of the current S-class, there has been only one car that has outlined the future of automotive design and engineering every single time it has been refreshed completely...the S-class.

Whatever you see in the new S-class, you better believe the rest of the industry is going to integrate that technology into its portfolio by the end of the models production run (airbags, seatbelts, in cabin tech). Each successor of the 7, A8, Lexus LS has tried, but still hasn't pushed the big ole` S from its pedestal. This might seem like im on MBs Ad payroll, but lets be honest here the S-class never disappoints at what they bring to the table. And considering the new one brings 2X12.3 inch LED displays or so i have heard, im anxious to see what else they can bring.

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 02-27-2013, 11:16 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Quote:

More on Porsche's future diesel plans (my new site):

http://flat6news.com/blog/success-of...urning-models/

- Mike
true. I always assumed that they would lower costs, since the platform was jointly developed with the new W166 aka new ML. However it really didnt doo much at reducing costs. Yes its a deal if you consider that the capabilities of the vehicle far exceed that of its sibling the ML, and you get bang for your buck interior tech, but would the mass market turn down status in owning a ML over owning the Jeep version of the ML with tons of capability and bang for buck tech?

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 02-28-2013, 08:00 AM

"younger people are still aspiring to own a Porsche -- Buick doesn't have that luxury" -- perhaps not now but back in the day us younger people (then) salivated over the Buick GSX Stage 1! Even earlier, I salivated over the '53 Buick Skylark -- still one of the handsomest cars of the '50's in my mind. Not a performer -- but a great chick magnet.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:36 AM
Mmmmmm…

Mein Auto: '13 Range Rover S/C
Quote:

The other thing I can never seem to grasp the concept of…

Why make rear-wheel drive only SUVs? What kind of cost-cutting concept is that?! (I see a lot of cheaper cars have AWD drive standard now)

I rented a few cars which didn't have full time AWD and the performance was still sh**, so it's not increasing performance.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:54 AM
Automotive Monomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
The other thing I can never seem to grasp the concept of…

Why make rear-wheel drive only SUVs? What kind of cost-cutting concept is that?! (I see a lot of cheaper cars have AWD drive standard now)

I rented a few cars which didn't have full time AWD and the performance was still sh**, so it's not increasing performance.
It is mostly tradition, cost-cutting and the lack of resources to design an all-new powertrain (aka money).

- Mike

Old 02-28-2013, 10:00 AM

I'd personally prefer a RWD SUV. But then again I'd have to drive one to say if my preference still is true.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
I'd personally prefer a RWD SUV. But then again I'd have to drive one to say if my preference still is true.
I feel like a RWD SUV defeats the purpose of the whole thing. I remember Mercedes makes a RWD ML and GLK, but they're SUPER RARE. Even Porsche doesn't have a RWD Cayenne.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:11 AM
Automotive Monomaniac

Quote:
I feel like a RWD SUV defeats the purpose of the whole thing. I remember Mercedes makes a RWD ML and GLK, but they're SUPER RARE. Even Porsche doesn't have a RWD Cayenne.
Mercedes only did it to lower the price. Mostly a marketing ploy.

- Mike

Old 02-28-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Well, I have zero need for AWD in the environment I live in. I'd get an SUV more so because of crappy roads than anything else. What AWD v RWD adds to me is more money to purchase the vehicle and in my experience if owning it for a very long time more maintenance. Although the maintenance comment is really based on old 4wd "SUVs" I had a very long time ago, specificallya Chevy and then Jeep. So that might not be a good point at all since those two brands in my experience were complete junk. So I do not quite follow how it defeats the entire purpose of having one, perhaps for you but for me it just feels like being forced to buy a feature I have no real want for and definitely no need for.

Last edited by Snipe656; 03-01-2013 at 08:11 AM. Reason: typos
Old 03-01-2013, 08:06 AM

I also have no need for 4WD in my area and although all my cars and trucks have it would prefer they were RWD instead. Just more drag for the powertrain and more parts to break or need maintenance. That is why the 2WD diesel GLK (if they ever decide to bring a 2WD here) is interesting to me. It appears that the Q5 TDI will only be available in quattro. The Jeep diesel is very interesting as well -- but I would never get a 2WD drive Jeep. That just kind of defeats the purpose of the whole Jeep thing IMHO. Have had both Jeeps and Chevy's before and had great luck with all of them -- both 2WD and the 4WD jeeps. Depends on what you get I guess.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:12 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
It's for those who never goes off road/drives in winter/etc. On a highway your X5 is pretty much a RWD vehicle too, so don't kid yourself about noticing AWD vs. RWD every single moment.