Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryjash View Post
.By the way ,I paid $56 895.00..... With Nav. heat seats, Porsche premium Lighting..Ruffeled Leather seats, Sun Roof...... I will probably go back to BMW if they Upgrade the interior.....
Could you post an options list, if possible? I thought the ruffled leather was a Porsche Exclusive upgrade.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:47 PM

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11304225...2-top-priority

looks like Audi is considering shrinking the Q7 down to X5-size and bringing a high end SUV Q8 to go against the GL. Or the Q7 stays put and this is a higher-end Q7 with A8-like interior?
Old 04-22-2013, 12:58 PM

http://www.herbchambersporscheofbost...f3af117039.htm

A diff't Porsche dealer in my area got the Jet Green with the gorgeous Espresso/Cognac interior in. Shame it's not optioned well

Last edited by AutoUnion; 04-22-2013 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
I drove the cayenne, good car, a lot more nimble and comfortable than the X5. But you loose on driving feel, which I hated in my Lexus RX350.

My biggest problem with the cayenne is the windshield that is far too slanted for a truck.
The cayenne has the most slanted windshield of all, it is like driving a lamborghini, a few more years and the windshield will be on top of your head.
I prefer more 'green house' as they call it. the kind in the category for me is the Range Rover but here again driving feel comes after the comfort and luxury.

That is why I bought the X5.

If you are looking at the Porsche Cayenne go drive the Lexus RX350, you will pay a fraction and it is almost a better car. Only reason to get the cayenne is if you are towing.

Last edited by philooo; 04-22-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:38 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Interesting comment -- I would not have put the RX in the same league with the Cayenne at all. I don't dislike the RX, in fact I think it is a great "chick car" and a huge seller. The Cayenne's (and X5, JGC SRT8, X7, T-egg, ML, Q's) are just in a different league.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:06 AM
Rolling Coal in the SAV

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35D, '07 550i
The RX is numb, comfortable, and easy to drive. However, it is not fun to drive...

The X5 steering is so heavy that if I do a decent arm workout at the gym, I can barely turn the wheel. That car has the heaviest steering in my garage easily, but I guess it helps it track so straight going down the highway. I am surprised a lot of these little women I see driving these things can turn the steering wheels.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
The steering on the X5 is ridiculously heavy... Worst part is that most people don't even know that the active steering make it so much lighter. BMW apparently doesn't think it is worth mentioning in the option description...

The RX350 is really not a 'trophy car', but during my ownership I was surprised how good that car is. The engine is really strong, I mean this thing fly! the Gearbox is excellent, but again steering and suspension are as numb as it gets. Fuel economy was not great either, I was doing 15mpg city with mine, 26 highway.

Oh and no squeeking noise anywhere in the RX... even if you press hard on any parts like center stack, console or arm rest... Try that on the X5 and you hear all kind of plastic squeaks...

Really the only reason to buy the X5 is for the driving fun, everything else is sub part to the Lexus.

I used to drive an hour from and to work and the Lexus is the best car for this. Now that I am working from home, I want to enjoy my drive so the X5 is perfect for that. I wish I had an M, but couldn't justify the extra cost :S
Old 04-23-2013, 06:02 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Erlkoenig
Mein Auto: German stuff
I like the heavy steering feeling. Reminds me of driving my old Porsche 964.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto: BMW '12 X5 35i
Unhappy

[QUOTE I am surprised a lot of these little women I see driving these things can turn the steering wheels.[/QUOTE]

Well, hell, for that matter reach the pedals or see out; or vote.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:49 AM

....they are among us and they VOTE!
Old 04-24-2013, 07:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
http://www.herbchambersporscheofbost...f3af117039.htm

A diff't Porsche dealer in my area got the Jet Green with the gorgeous Espresso/Cognac interior in. Shame it's not optioned well
I really like that color combination. Reminds me a lot of my first and favorite 928 that we had. If I were in the market for a vehicle and that was sitting on a lot here I'd have a hard time not "impulse" buying it. But at a glance I have zero issues with the options on it, so kind of adds to appeal for me.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:20 PM

Just learned some interesting news from an acquaintance who was at the most recent Porsche dealer meeting regarding the Cayenne and Macan

- Macan will be shown at the LA Auto show and deliveries start in late Spring (April-ish)
- Porsche is promising best-in-class chassis dynamics, performance, and interior quality for the Macan.
- It is no Q5. Even if it is on the same chassis, it is ~80% all new.
- Only 8,840 Macans are coming into the US for 2014. (For reference, X3/Q5 sell about 3500/month)
- PDK and manual expected. No 8AT from ZF, like the Q5
- Will launch with two engines first. Top-spec models at intro. (3.0TT and 3.6TT with 395hp/406 ft-lb)
- Entry level 2.0T and lower-end 6 cylinder (N/A probably) will come in late '14-early '15). High perf diesel will hit the US after the Cayenne gets it
- $52k is expected starting price on the mid-level 3.0TT model. Top-spec turbo is the 3.6TT.

- Cayenne refresh coming mid-2014
- New diesel (just released in Panamera overseas) will be coming to Cayenne with refresh. 300hp/479 ft-lb torque (probably bi-turbo version of the current engine)
- Changes will be similar to Panamera refresh. V6 twin turbo, revamped hybrid, and new diesel are set to come.

- Porsche is watching current Cayenne/A6/A7/A8 diesel sales very closely. There is a chance that the Panamera will come with the same 300hp TDI unit. Cayenne's diesel take-rate is 30%. They have no problem moving oil-burners off lots.

Reactions: I'm VERY excited for both the Macan and Cayenne refresh. I've decided to hold off on a new car for about a year. Just in time for the Macan and Cayenne LCI intro. I'm not sure about the price of the Macan though. It will need $15-20k in options, just like the Cayenne, making it a $70k baby Cayenne. Does that mean the Cayenne's price will increase?

Last edited by AutoUnion; 10-14-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
- New diesel (just released in Panamera overseas) will be coming to Cayenne with refresh. 300hp/479 ft-lb torque (probably bi-turbo version of the current engine)
- Changes will be similar to Panamera refresh. V6 twin turbo, revamped hybrid, and new diesel are set to come.

- Porsche is watching current Cayenne/A6/A7/A8 diesel sales very closely. There is a chance that the Panamera will come with the same 300hp TDI unit. Cayenne's diesel take-rate is 30%. They have no problem moving oil-burners off lots.

Reactions: I'm VERY excited for both the Macan and Cayenne refresh. I've decided to hold off on a new car for about a year. Just in time for the Macan and Cayenne LCI intro. I'm not sure about the price of the Macan though. It will need $15-20k in options, just like the Cayenne, making it a $70k baby Cayenne. Does that mean the Cayenne's price will increase?
I have no need for a sedan at this point since I recently bought an ML Bluetec but always thought a diesel Panamera might make for a very nice well rounded vehicle. Glad to see the Cayenne will be getting a more powerful diesel engine, I just never warmed over to the engine in the current one once factoring in the cost to get it. With that said though I was this || close to buying a new 2012 Cayenne S instead of a ML after having driven a Cayenne that actually has some power.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:53 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Quote:
Just learned some interesting news from an acquaintance who was at the most recent Porsche dealer meeting regarding the Cayenne and Macan

- Macan will be shown at the LA Auto show and deliveries start in late Spring (April-ish)
- Porsche is promising best-in-class chassis dynamics, performance, and interior quality for the Macan.
- It is no Q5. Even if it is on the same chassis, it is ~80% all new.
- Only 8,840 Macans are coming into the US for 2014. (For reference, X3/Q5 sell about 3500/month)
- PDK and manual expected. No 8AT from ZF, like the Q5
- Will launch with two engines first. Top-spec models at intro. (3.0TT and 3.6TT with 395hp/406 ft-lb)
- Entry level 2.0T and lower-end 6 cylinder (N/A probably) will come in late '14-early '15). High perf diesel will hit the US after the Cayenne gets it
- $52k is expected starting price on the mid-level 3.0TT model. Top-spec turbo is the 3.6TT.

Not to burst you bubble, but that dealer meeting had some dealers who forgot that they signed a NDA with Porsche, and leaked a lot of that information straight to the car blogs/news websites at the end of September with Slides detailing Porsche future product map and launch strategy. It was probably the worst leak next to say the C7 corvette leak to Jalopnik LOL!

But yea great find. 80% all new translates to New Powertrain, Body Panels and thats about it. Not chipping at Porsche's claim as lets be honest here the Cayenne rides on the same architecture as the T-egg but I`d be lying if I said they rode the same. I`m guessing its time for BMW to release the M50D motor here lol. the 30D is quite underpowered lol

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 11-22-2013, 06:35 AM

Re: X5 35d vs. Porsche Cayenne Diesel

Porsche Macan has been shown. Opinions?

- Sent from Galaxy S4
Old 11-22-2013, 06:37 AM

Re: X5 35d vs. Porsche Cayenne Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
I have no need for a sedan at this point since I recently bought an ML Bluetec but always thought a diesel Panamera might make for a very nice well rounded vehicle. Glad to see the Cayenne will be getting a more powerful diesel engine, I just never warmed over to the engine in the current one once factoring in the cost to get it. With that said though I was this || close to buying a new 2012 Cayenne S instead of a ML after having driven a Cayenne that actually has some power.
Congrats on the ML.

Yeah, I agree. A diesel Panamera would be an awesome DD. Great performance, head turning, good dynamics, with 30+ mpg.

- Sent from Galaxy S4
Old 11-22-2013, 06:40 AM

Quote:

- Sent from Galaxy S4
I am not sure it does anything for me more than the Q5 cousin does.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:11 AM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:

- Sent from Galaxy S4
I sat in it and did a full walk-around on Tuesday. I am flying to Germany to do a full technical backgrounder in two weeks on the Macan.

As the owner of a '13 Q5, I am very impressed. Porsche has used VW's MLB platform and done wonderful things (more than 70 percent different when compared to the Q5). The engines are both very nice, impressive brakes and the PDK is my favorite automatic.

The only apparent downside is its size. It is a compact SUV, meaning it is no larger than the X3 (the BMW may be bigger). Pricing starts at $49,900 for the turbocharged Macan S (we paid $47,000 for our Q5) and the base car is still nicer than our Audi. The Turbo is a bit more... but I likely won't recommend anyone step up to that one.

I need to drive it.

- Mike

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Old 11-22-2013, 07:40 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Porsche Macan looks identical to the Cayenne. just a tad bit smaller.

The interior shots I saw in autoblog were kinda weird, the materials didnt line up well design wise. It should be fun to drive I assume.

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 11-23-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission View Post
I sat in it and did a full walk-around on Tuesday. I am flying to Germany to do a full technical backgrounder in two weeks on the Macan.

As the owner of a '13 Q5, I am very impressed. Porsche has used VW's MLB platform and done wonderful things (more than 70 percent different when compared to the Q5). The engines are both very nice, impressive brakes and the PDK is my favorite automatic.

The only apparent downside is its size. It is a compact SUV, meaning it is no larger than the X3 (the BMW may be bigger). Pricing starts at $49,900 for the turbocharged Macan S (we paid $47,000 for our Q5) and the base car is still nicer than our Audi. The Turbo is a bit more... but I likely won't recommend anyone step up to that one.

I need to drive it.

- Mike
Looking forward to your write-up Mike! Can't wait to drive them in the Spring.

I've been tinkering with the Porsche website and I could save almost $10k by going with a Macan S.

I was able to equip a Macan Turbo for about the same price as the Cayenne Diesel. ($84k on the Macan, $81k on the Cayenne).

Now do I want to get 30+ mpg or 400hp? 400hp sounds very enticing

Last edited by AutoUnion; 11-23-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:38 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Quote:
Looking forward to your write-up Mike! Can't wait to drive them in the Spring.

I've been tinkering with the Porsche website and I could save almost $10k by going with a Macan S.

I was able to equip a Macan Turbo for about the same price as the Cayenne Diesel. ($84k on the Macan, $81k on the Cayenne).

Now do I want to get 30+ mpg or 400hp? 400hp sounds very enticing
They are introducing a Macan Diesel soon...

- Mike

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission View Post
They are introducing a Macan Diesel soon...

- Mike
Yeah, that's a good point. A diesel Macan might actually be pretty fast.

I'm just getting suckered in by the higher performance models. The Macan Turbo would be in my price range, whereas a Cayenne GTS/Turbo/Turbo S simply aren't at this point in time.

choices, choices...

Last edited by AutoUnion; 11-23-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto: was 530d, is X5d 2011
pathetic... the question is only whether it is Porsche which built its brand on 911 and now are selling SUVs and hatchbacks or buyers who are considering buying re-branded Q5 for a premium

Quote:

- Sent from Galaxy S4

WTB: spare tire kit
Old 11-24-2013, 07:23 AM

Some would argue the brand was built on the 356. However, Porsche exists to make money and to do that they must have products that sell in the marketplace. The wild success (and it has been) of the Cayenne has pushed them into a different place for better or worse. Personally I love the Cayenne and cannot wait to see the new Macan. But then, I really like the Panamera too which reminds me of the best of a Fisker and Tesla body style -- without the built in fire extinguisher of course (joke!).
Hey Mike, looking forward to your review! How do you like the Audi Q5 compared to your old X5d? Kind of surprised you didn't go for the Q5 TDI.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:13 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanar200 View Post
pathetic... the question is only whether it is Porsche which built its brand on 911 and now are selling SUVs and hatchbacks or buyers who are considering buying re-branded Q5 for a premium
That statement is seriously naive. Porsche is an automaker, and it would have gone broke a decade ago without expanding its lineup. Look at BMW with its X1, X3, X5 and X6 as an example closer to home. Calling the Macan a re-branded Q5 is also quite a stretch. They share about 25 percent of their components...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Some would argue the brand was built on the 356. However, Porsche exists to make money and to do that they must have products that sell in the marketplace. The wild success (and it has been) of the Cayenne has pushed them into a different place for better or worse. Personally I love the Cayenne and cannot wait to see the new Macan. But then, I really like the Panamera too which reminds me of the best of a Fisker and Tesla body style -- without the built in fire extinguisher of course (joke!).
Hey Mike, looking forward to your review! How do you like the Audi Q5 compared to your old X5d? Kind of surprised you didn't go for the Q5 TDI.
I miss the X5d dearly... I really liked it. However, it was my wife's car and she wanted something smaller and less expensive. She loves the Q5 (the diesel wasn't out when we bought ours, even though I knew it was coming). I rarely drive the Q5... maybe once a month... as I have countless interesting cars in my driveway ('14 C63 AMG '507' right now).

- Mike