Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by pa50i View Post
They seemed to have spelled Hyundai wrong in that picture...
what a joke. It's a Porsche, not a Hyundai. That being said, it saying Hyundai wouldn't be a bad thing these days
Old 09-03-2012, 12:43 PM

Mein Auto: 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pa50i View Post
They seemed to have spelled Hyundai wrong in that picture...

+1.
PC looks gayish to me.

Can't get it why would anyone pay $10K over comparable BMW for a dressed up VW.
Same as can't get why would anyone pay $10K over comparable Acura MDX for X5 35i - with 35D one at least gets better mileage.

Last edited by hooch999; 09-03-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooch999 View Post
+1.
PC looks gayish to me.

Can't get it why would anyone pay $10K over comparable BMW for a dressed up VW.
Since you guys can't seem to have a good conversation about the superior competition without bashing them, I suggest you exit the thread.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:59 PM

Mein Auto: 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Since you guys can't seem to have a good conversation about the superior competition without bashing them, I suggest you exit the thread.
In which way PC is superior to bimmer??
I only have seen so far comments from people making living from car makers ad money or folks with abstract comments like "quieter, smoother" which are highly subjective.
Where are the real life numbers?
Ah - PC has better badge? Maserati has even better badge so it's superior to PC huh? Come on guys, grow up a bit.

Last edited by hooch999; 09-03-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooch999 View Post
In which way PC is superior to bimmer??
Facts:

- better resale/residuals
- better reliability
- better quality
- better MPG vs X5 35d
- better performance technology (PTV, PCCB, PASM, etc)
- better customer support at Porsche dealers
- higher quality interior (stitched leather dash) + more ergonomic interior
- better driving
- significantly lighter
- lockable diff on AWD system (xDrive is quite the neutered AWD system)
- quieter (and its engine doesn't sound like a truck)
- Burnmester audio system, optional.

Subjective (to me):

- better badge [Maserati doesn't have an production SUV yet]
- better looking, inside and out. (X5's interior is dated now)

X5 does have some better cabin tech, like iDrive/HUD, and is more spacious. Not to mention, more powerful.

X5 is more bang for the buck and the Cayenne is a more classier SUV to me.

Last edited by AutoUnion; 09-03-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d Sport
I'd like to give my $.02 here. As a long time and former Porsche Club of America member, I beg to differ about the Porsche Cayenne and perhaps about other Porsches.

My biggest gripe is the new Porsche interiors. They look awful. Their coordinated colors look straight out of the 1970's Ford catalog, with reflective dashboards, glitzy trim around the consoles and vents, coordinated door panels and steering wheels, etc. Nauseating.

Since the airbag models came out, Porsche has struggled to make a sporty looking steering wheel, finally coming out with a good looking one with the sport steering wheel option in 2005. Their normal one, something that looks like a shield from a cartoon version of transformer origin, is ugly as sin. They have been changing it ever since, with the current standard heavy looking thing at least with a round center but still without the safety oriented steering wheel controls standard on US BMW's. Even the currently optional "sport" steering wheel Porsche offers is gaudy, not to mention their awful wood rimmed ones!

Lets not talk about the ever-talked about and bragged about "most profitable car-maker" status Porsche enjoys, the way they treat dealers withholding inventory, how every Boxster comes in with unnecessary expensive cosmetic options etc. At the last PCA Parade, the company had the gall to parade a Carrera Targa that cost $150,000 - with $50,000 in cosmetic options!! That, for bragging rights?? Performance my eye, this is a boutique car!

Finally, the Cayenne has never been a looker. Not that I'm much of an X5 fan, but I understand the utility of an SUV. The PC looks like a beached whale and tries to imitate a 911 in looks. Sorry, but they should have made it look better than that. No doubt their "no diesel" pledge was stupid since diesel is a natural for a vehicle that otherwise could do the same thing as a sedan or wagon that have 1,000 lbs less with the diesel having more power and efficiency - they finally see the light.

Sorry, but the emperor has no clothes. BMW may not have it all, but they certainly have my vote. Mercedes looks a bit better to me than Porsche any day.

PL

Last edited by Pierre Louis; 09-03-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:35 PM

I think it looks pretty fantastic with the Turbo wheels ($6k option!)

Last edited by AutoUnion; 09-03-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
I only have this to add which is probably not apples to oranges, when I was going thru the lemon ( excuse me, courtesy repurchase ) of my 2010 Audi Q5, the dealership which was also a Porsche dealership had me in a 2010 Cayenne ( first generation ) I was excited initially to have this a loaner but after driving it for 30 days I was like " so what " what's the big deal ? I will admit I do like the interior of the 2nd generation Cayenne but I have not had any drive time in one after all the demographic for Porsche I believe is income of 400 k and up which also explains the rumors of a 2000 dollar 20k maintenance visit.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Facts:

- better reliability
- better quality
- better MPG vs X5 35d
- better driving
- significantly lighter

Subjective (to me):

X5 does have some better cabin tech, like iDrive/HUD, and is more spacious. Not to mention, more powerful.

Isn't Better customer support at Porsche dealers completely dependent upon the dealerships? I know I sure had a really bad experiences with Momentum Porsche but not with the old(no longer around) Don McGill Porsche back when I still drove/owned one.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328d xdrive
Another CD advantage is Lane Change Assist (Blind Spot). Absolutely love that feature. Of course most Fords offer that too, but wish the X5 did too. I think the CD LCA is the best I have seen all of all the manufactures.

Quote:
Facts:

- better reliability
- better quality
- better MPG vs X5 35d
- better driving
- significantly lighter

Subjective (to me):

Old 09-03-2012, 04:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 35D
Quote:
Facts:

- better MPG vs X5 35d
-can have leather dashboard in X5 as well
-Adaptive Drive?
Old 09-03-2012, 04:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
To me PL's comments all have some validity to them. However, personally I'll take the slightly quirky looking, quality, reliable, fun to drive Porsche compared to a beautiful but unreliable, numb, clinical and soulless F-series BMW. I know this thread is about the generally good E70 but it's getting long in the tooth and you can feel it when you compare it to the much newer Cayenne.

Last edited by solstice; 09-03-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:

I think it looks pretty fantastic with the Turbo wheels ($6k option!)

That's about $1500 for each tire plus wheel combination and the value of the standard tire wheel the addition of which I suppose you do not get to take home with the $6000 option.

PL
Old 09-03-2012, 09:22 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
When should we see your writeup? It looks like no other press site has a Cayenne Diesel review up yet either
John posted his story a few days ago (we were up there together). Not much in the way of driving impressions...

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/dr...cayenne-diesel

- Mike

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Old 09-03-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission View Post
John posted his story a few days ago (we were up there together). Not much in the way of driving impressions...

- Mike
Looks like the picture has the two tone interior, optional steering wheel with paddle shifting, etc. in the R&T article which looks nice. Would be good to have a true value in the Porsche lineup here for a change, which doesn't seem to happen with the price of options. The carbon steel block is interesting compared to the all aluminum block that BMW offers.

PL
Old 09-04-2012, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Well John's story did solve the mystery about why the diesel has a locker and the gassers do not. The diesel shares the drive train with the hybrid which retains the locker. So the diesel (and the hybrid) would be more capable off road -- if one would ever take their pristine porsche into the brush (willingly) in the first place. Glad you didn't have to use the bear spray!
Old 09-04-2012, 08:52 AM
Automotive Monomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Well John's story did solve the mystery about why the diesel has a locker and the gassers do not. The diesel shares the drive train with the hybrid which retains the locker. So the diesel (and the hybrid) would be more capable off road -- if one would ever take their pristine porsche into the brush (willingly) in the first place. Glad you didn't have to use the bear spray!
I had already mentioned that the hybrid/diesel share AWD systems... Let's see what Porsche has to say.

I've had a late-model Cayenne Turbo in water so deep that it was flowing over the hood (they are a very capable off-road, as is the X5 assuming it has enough ground clearance).

Funny thing, we stumbled upon a bear in the wilderness! I ran back to the Cayenne to get the spray (sitting on the front seat, doh!) and it was locked! My buddy from Kelly Blue Book had the keys in his pocket!

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Note to self: When running from a bear, be sure you run faster than your buddy from KBB -- 'cause you WON'T outrun the bear! Amazing feeling to know that you are not at the top of the food chain there. Keep the spray handy at all times -- handy for muggers/car jackers in SoCal too I suspect.

Last edited by UncleJ; 09-04-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
I just noticed that the Cayenne diesel is listed as being 400 lbs heavier than the V6. That's more than my whole family of four. This got to impact handling negatively. The scale is tipping back to the V6 again.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ductman View Post
I only have this to add which is probably not apples to oranges, when I was going thru the lemon ( excuse me, courtesy repurchase ) of my 2010 Audi Q5, the dealership which was also a Porsche dealership had me in a 2010 Cayenne ( first generation ) I was excited initially to have this a loaner but after driving it for 30 days I was like " so what " what's the big deal ? I will admit I do like the interior of the 2nd generation Cayenne but I have not had any drive time in one after all the demographic for Porsche I believe is income of 400 k and up which also explains the rumors of a 2000 dollar 20k maintenance visit.
Yeah,, it's one of the better things about BMW with included maintenance. However, MB Blutec's also have super expensive maintenance also, so we can't just blame Porsche.

I wonder if you can prepay maintenance, like you can with AudiCare.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
Isn't Better customer support at Porsche dealers completely dependent upon the dealerships? I know I sure had a really bad experiences with Momentum Porsche but not with the old(no longer around) Don McGill Porsche back when I still drove/owned one.
Valid point, but around here, Porsche is superior because they deal with a different client (ie more wealthy) and they are better than BMW. The average BMW customer is a lease spec 3 series owner, not a near $100k Panamera/911 or even $60k+ Boxster/Cayman owner.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBV View Post
Another CD advantage is Lane Change Assist (Blind Spot). Absolutely love that feature. Of course most Fords offer that too, but wish the X5 did too. I think the CD LCA is the best I have seen all of all the manufactures.
Yeah, I can't believe BMW doesn't have Blind Spot monitoring. Probably coming with the F series chassis
Old 09-04-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge1 View Post
-can have leather dashboard in X5 as well
-Adaptive Drive?
Nappa Dash is a $1,900 option and mostly special order. I think the Cayenne has it standard and their leather is of higher quality.

Adaptive Drive is no where as comprehensive as PTV (porsche torque vectoring), PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management), and PCCB (carbon ceramic brakes)
Old 09-04-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission View Post

- Mike
That dark green is a gorgeous color
Old 09-04-2012, 11:42 AM
Automotive Monomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Note to self: When running from a bear, be sure you run faster than your buddy from KBB -- 'cause you WON'T outrun the bear! Amazing feeling to know that you are not at the top of the food chain there. Keep the spray handy at all times -- handy for muggers/car jackers in SoCal too I suspect.
Yes, we were laughing about that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
I just noticed that the Cayenne diesel is listed as being 400 lbs heavier than the V6. That's more than my whole family of four. This got to impact handling negatively. The scale is tipping back to the V6 again.
The X5 diesel is also heavier than the gasoline-fed six.

- Mike