Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:14 PM
Retired, Independent Cons

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535I GT M-Sport
Camera all around viewing

After reading a story about doing away with sideview morrow's and if BMW will follow this idea. I for one like the idea and have seen camera's growing on most all models with 360 degree coverage. However, I would like to see coverage, with some kind of playback and here is why. We have a city in Florida, which has installed fixed dash cameras on city vehicles. The idea is to protect both the city and driver from false liability issues. Russia, has also gone to using dash camera's in accidents for the same reason. I do currently enjoy my backup camera, as it can see things better than I can, when I turn my head. I have started seeing motorcyclist with GO Pro cameras on there helmets. I have also seen a new vehicle with facial recognition to open the drivers car door. While watching the new driverless vehicles by Google and pondering the idea of trash collection vehicles, to soon be seen on city roads without a human driver. Now this has not happened yet and is just an idea, I have for the future. Who knows what driverless vehicles will soon be doing. The city of New York has proven better protection for New Yorkers with good wide coverage of camera's. Stores inside and out have gone to cameras for safety of customers and the stores liability. So, why not have an onboard vehicle cameras front, sides and rear to protect the liability of high cost vehicle owners on the highway. I am all for safer roads and have seen time and time again motorcyclists and vehicles flying passed me at high rates of speed. When an accident happens, it seems everyone is at flat until the courts hear the evidence form the best show and story teller.

Last edited by HLH535I; 04-25-2014 at 05:12 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 04-28-2014, 04:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 5 Series 330d GT
I have been thinking the same thing myself. It would make so much more sense to use what is already in the car and hell BMW could flog it as an option for another $1,200. it cold be linked into a lot more and I'm sure the insurance companies would get on board.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
If you have the top view camera option, three of the five cameras on the car are (sort of) looking relatively horizontal - the two in the front fenders look to the side to see the cross-street, and the backup camera looks at an angle, but mostly down. Those in the mirrors, pretty much only look down, so you cannot see much to the sides. THey work great for gauging your position in a parking space, but are pretty useless to see much beyond maybe 5' to the side. I'm not sure how it looks forward, it may be in the driver's rear-view mirror, and if so, that looks forward, but it only displays a fairly short view forward.

So, I'm not sure how much real road view it actually has. Not saying it couldn't be revised. If you have automatic headlights or night vision, or, eventually, the new laser headlights, there will be a different, probably better camera looking forward.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 550GT
Was the all around view option not an option on 2010 models? One of my co-workers just bought a used 2011 (I have a 2010) and when he shifts into reverse he can hit the camera button on the center console and get the all around view. When I hit it, I get a horizontal front and rear sensor view. I have tried to find the all around camera view and cannot seem to locate it. Is it something that can be added - I have all the cameras.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:55 AM

Are you sure you have all the cameras? Do you have the cameras in the side mirrors as they are what give you the side view of the car thus making it all around. if not you would only see the front and back as you described.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 550GT
Ha! I do not have cameras in the mirror. I just went out to the garage and looked and then looked at my wives X5 and low and behold, I do not have the cameras. Well, I am disappointed. I thought my car was pretty fully optioned. Well, the list of things to keep track of when buying these this is spectacular.... Missed that one. Thanks 2014-5GT. Would love to get down to Oz here soon with the family. Never been but it is next at the top of my list.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:58 AM

Well this was my first time buying a custom car and wow I have learnt a lot. Next time I will know more than the dealer. Well come to think of it, I did have to show him the trunk had two ways to open it. he was like oh wow that's cool.

Aus is good, I have travelled a bit and still love to come home. At least you can stop looking at your display and saying work dam you.....

don't worry though I had purchased the Driving Assistant Plus, but was informed after I took delivery that the "Traffic Jam Assistant" feature will not be available along with various other features. So at least you didn't get promised and paid for something only to be told sorry you wont be getting that but we will take you money anyway.

I spent the first few days trying to get the dam car to self drive, and thought I was loosing it until I noticed my button on the steering wheel was not the same as in the manual. Took it back to the dealer and even he was like well it should work. 3 days later he just wrote me an email and said sorry that feature is not available and will not be anytime soon.

I bet its all still there, and its a simple as someone changing a 0 to a 1, and bam I would have the function available. I know it uses the same cameras.

Anyway I could go on and on...
Old 04-29-2014, 05:53 AM
BMW Snow Plow User

Mein Auto: 330ci Convertible 2004
Folks, I had actual lawyers advise me that dashcam cameras like they use in Russia to protect themselves from false accusations are a bad idea in the US. It is evidence that can be interpreted to your disadvantage (possibly out of context), it can turn a harmless traffic offense into criminal charges (think road rage) and for what - the worst that usually happens to you is that your insurance goes up and there is minor out of pocket pay.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550I GT
I have the surround view and there are no cameras looking in front. It say's 360 degree but you only get 270. The ones in the from fender are not used while parking. They are used when pulling out in traffic. I have never used them but that's what they are for. I do however love the 270 degree view.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:40 PM

WHen you have it on, have someone walk around the car and see where you may lose sight of them. Remember to leave the fob in the car, or it will just display a warning message to whomever is checking the display.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiddie View Post
Folks, I had actual lawyers advise me that dashcam cameras like they use in Russia to protect themselves from false accusations are a bad idea in the US. It is evidence that can be interpreted to your disadvantage (possibly out of context), it can turn a harmless traffic offense into criminal charges (think road rage) and for what - the worst that usually happens to you is that your insurance goes up and there is minor out of pocket pay.

Great tip. Thanks.

Would appreciate anyone else opinions of dash cam use in the U.S.

And while we're on the subject, my understanding is that an aftermarket retrofit for the top down view parking assist is very difficult and expensive if even possible at all. Is this correct?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-29-2014, 04:09 PM
BMW Snow Plow User

Mein Auto: 330ci Convertible 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryninja View Post
Great tip. Thanks.

Would appreciate anyone else opinions of dash cam use in the U.S.

And while we're on the subject, my understanding is that an aftermarket retrofit for the top down view parking assist is very difficult and expensive if even possible at all. Is this correct?
If you want a dashcam I would go with one of those keyfob cameras and a USB adapter. Over on mbworld there is a person who ran the power wire up to the mirror (removing the day on the A pillar). These cameras can do videos in chunks and delete the oldest one when the card is full, and automatically power up and down when power comes from USB. It is what apparently everybody in Russia uses, but the legal framework is "a bit" different over there.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:51 PM

Police, emergency vehicles, and sometimes busses and trucks tend to use these things. But as you know from the news, they catch the supposed 'good' guys sometimes as well. Be careful what you wish for. The computers in the cars are already recording a bunch of things, and given a warrant, can answer the question of how fast you were going, if your directional were one, and if you were accelerating, braking, or turning. A camera could just be icing on the cake or the nail in the coffin, so to speak.