Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i > BMW i8 I12 (2014 - Current)

BMW i8 I12 (2014 - Current)
The BMW i8 is a carbon fiber and aluminum hybrid halo car.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: 83' 323is, 07' MINI JCW+
BMW I8 First drive impressions- Autoblog, Autocar

”frontrrack”

First drive reviews are starting to come in for the anticipated i8 hybrid-electric super car. Check out the first impressions from Autoblog and Autocar.

Autoblog

Quote:
One comforting factor with the i8 is that it has a very simple and almost entirely familiar driver-car interface. The i3 has a whole sheaf of things to get used to for the targeted first-time BMW buyer, but the i8 is immediately a sports car we can deal with, a car with which an existing BMW fan can get very cozy.

There is nevertheless much in common here with the Life Drive construction philosophy seen in the i3, and to be seen on all i models yet to come. The strong and lightweight i8 passenger cell is designed for a maximum 2+2 family, or 2+1 executives going to a business lunch. It's rendered in BMW's well-publicized Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic formed material, and the fairly lightweight chassis is made of rigid aluminum.

While the i3 plug-in comes in a straight EV flavor as well as a range-extended version, the i8 – referred to as project i12 internally – is a parallel hybrid plug-in e-sports car that can be commanded to stay in pure EV mode for certain limited distances under appropriate circumstances. Thus, the i8 can do really well in everyday sub-40-mph city runs, remaining almost at all times in EV mode. But it can also sip the liquid fuel like a hardcore diet even while indulging the Sport mode of the powertrain to go beyond 40 mph, returning an overall – let's say ambitious at this point until we know for sure – 90-ish miles per gallon in liquid fuel terms from the 10.5-gallon tank situated underneath the rear seats.
Read the full review here:
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/07/2...-drive-review/

Autocar

Quote:
I drove the i8 on BMW’s Miramas test track in France. On the infield handling course and surrounding roads, it immediately dispelled any lingering doubts about its ability to deliver truly engaging driving traits. It is extremely agile, with somewhat light but extremely direct electro-mechanical steering. You can sense the low centre of gravity in the way the futuristic looking coupé enthusiastically turns in to corners. Its dynamic properties are characterised by an inherent responsiveness, nimbleness and light-footedness to the handling, which immediately stands out as one of the new car’s strengths.

There is very little body movement as lateral forces rise, although its ability to carry serious speed through corners is limited by the current state of chassis tune, which clearly favours understeer – something it tended to do quite early on the freshly laid bitumen of the BMW test track. It’s nothing too troubling, mind. But when the rest of the car is so well sorted, the deficiency in front-end bite tends to be magnified, and it quickly had the DSC (dynamic stability control) working as we began to push the i8 hard through corners.
Read the full review here:
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/...t-drive-review

”side”
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14-2014-bmw-i8-p-fd.jpg
Views:	774
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	390272   Click image for larger version

Name:	15-2014-bmw-i8-p-fd.jpg
Views:	806
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	390273   Click image for larger version

Name:	05-2014-bmw-i8-p-fd.jpg
Views:	623
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	390276  
More about BMW I8 First drive impressions- Autoblog, Autocar

bmw-i8-ultimate-driving-machine 1bmw-i8-ultimate-driving-machine 2bmw-i8-ultimate-driving-machine 3bmw-i8-ultimate-driving-machine 4bmw-i8-ultimate-driving-machine 5bmw-i8-ultimate-driving-machine 6bmw-i8-ultimate-driving-machine 7bmw-i8-ultimate-driving-machine 8bmw-i8-ultimate-driving-machine 9bmw-i8-ultimate-driving-machine 10

Advertisement
Old 08-08-2013, 02:00 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: Nissan Micra
Fabulous designing on the car. Must Say !!!.
I read the reviews of this car. I am really impressed with this car. I had a view that even having few drawbacks in this car like iDrive that is currently useless and programming for six speed automatic attached to the 1.5-liter, the market value of this hybrid car will be same as expected by the manufacturer's. And, with the launch of this car, BMW had joined the race of manufacturing hybrid cars after Nissan, Ford, Renault, Honda, Tesla.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:32 AM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto: Graphite & Silver E92/E60
Overall, I am liking the i8.

PROS:

1. Very aggressive sporty super car like design. Attention grabbing to say the least.

2. Nice amount of combined power.

3. Good fuel economy.

4. Being 2+2 is always a plus against cars like Audi R8 V8.

5. The amount of great technology use.

CONS:

1. Super skinny 195 series tires. I mean motorcycles have wider tire then that. Put some decent size tires on this poor sporty car. Maybe even a square setup of 245 series all around or 235 in front and 265 out back.

2. 6-speed auto......really. In todays world of 8-speed auto and 7-speed DCT. The i8 technological marvel will have 6-speed.

3. The price range estimates being well above 100K makes it less desirable to me.

4. The all electric range could have been higher.

Now, how about throwing a 350hp N54 with the electric motor in it to the tune of 500hp plus i8 M car.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
bmw i8, i8 first drive, i8 first impressions

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i > BMW i8 I12 (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search