Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 07-19-2012, 10:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0d Msport
vs. sapphire

When I was looking for my colour choice (note the "u" in there my US friends :-), I did agonise over this for some time.

I managed to find a place with a carbon black next to a sapphire black. I took a couple of photos highish res (4MB each). I'm not sure the hi-res will keep if I upload here. I will try, but if you want the originals let me know.

John
Old 07-19-2012, 10:22 AM

Hmmm :-/

Bogus. 500KB max size

:-(
Old 07-20-2012, 05:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M Sport
I find that in brighter light it looks black and dimmer light is when I see it as a very dark blue. I don't see a purplish hue, but have heard people describe there can be one. If you haven't heard the color described this way, which I'm guessing you have because it was at the dealership they told me this, but maybe they didn't tell you... Think of it as carbon paper. But I would say blue/black carbon paper, not the kind that has the purple/black color. Of course it is only my opinion, but it is just an amazing color that you can't go wrong with!
Old 07-20-2012, 06:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
Have a look at this thread. It provides some pictures of CB where you can really see the black/blue colour http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=715550
Old 07-25-2012, 05:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i M-sport
In any light, artificial or sunlight, it's dark blue. I've noticed even on hazy days with grey skies the dark blue still comes through.

I think it is a great colour as it is always changing depending on the light. It continues to impress and surprise me!

NordicBMW...thanks for the car washing tips. I need one of those foam sprayers for sure.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 (F25)
You're welcome :-) Have to admit that a full wash took me about an hour the other day when the car was real dirty... So the secret probably lies in doing it often enough so the dirt does not fasten. But a pressure washer is a must-have item in my opinion just remember to buy one with the ability to vary nozzle pressure and always use it at an angle, never 90 degrees directly at your car's precious paint job. It can actually remove the clear coat if you get too close with it.

The benefit of using it is that you'll remove most of the dirt before even touching the car which is exactly what we want in order to minimize swirls and scratches.

Last edited by NordicBMW; 07-25-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to BUYSELLFIL Send a message via Yahoo to BUYSELLFIL Send a message via Skype™ to BUYSELLFIL
Mein Auto: 2013 X3 3.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&A QB View Post
I'm looking at carbon black vs. black sapphire metallic for a 2013 X3. Dealer does not have a carbon black X3 on the lot (or any X3 with m sport package for that matter). Could one of you please confirm if carbon black has a purplish or bluish hue to it (seems to on BMW's website) or otherwise describe what the color is like on the actual vehicle (looking at colors on the website is not the best way to tell). Many thanks.
Definitely more of a navy blue hue to it in the sun. Looks very nice with the Chestnut Leather.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:01 AM

For what it's worth I have a couple of pictures of two X5 (one sapphire, one carbon) next to each other.

PM me and I'll mail them (about 4MB each).

I have the carbon black, you'd be stupid not to if you have Msport :-)

John
Old 08-06-2012, 06:45 AM

Mein Auto: 328xi
This may be sacrilege, but I have the metallic black (almost wrote Metallica Black there!) and take it to a regular, swirly car wash. There's no way I could be bothered to hand clean. Anyway, it still looks fantastic, gets lots of compliments, and I have no swirls...yet. It's only 6 months old so maybe in a year it'll start to fade.