Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X5, 2012 MINI ALL4
Wheel Scratch after balancing

The dealers did the wheel balancing on my X5 due to low frequency vibration on the steering wheel and there are scratches near the roundel after the balancing done. The service manager told me that it could have happened with the machine that they use and it is unavoidable.

Is that true and you guys see that very often?
Old 07-13-2012, 07:54 AM

Mein Auto: '11 X5 35d
Unavoidable? That's BS.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
it's the tech's carelessness. totally avoidable.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:20 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by icuc View Post
The dealers did the wheel balancing on my X5 due to low frequency vibration on the steering wheel and there are scratches near the roundel after the balancing done. The service manager told me that it could have happened with the machine that they use and it is unavoidable.

They owe you a NEW WHEEL, not a refinish.

Unless you failed to document the damage before you took the car back, in which case the story will change.....

it is not 'unavoidable'. Somehow they put the tires on the wheel at the factory with the same method!
Old 07-13-2012, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 50i
Quote:

It is completely avoidable. There are various guards that the tech can use to prevent scratches when mounting and balancing a wheel. If it is "unavoidable" that your rim gets scratched by the machine, ask the SA to write that word for word on you work order. I will bet you the cost of a new rim, he will not write it.

The simple way to think about it is, how can the factory in SC put a tire on a rim and balance it without scratching it? Why is your BMW dealer not using that method.

If the machine has a high probability of scratching the rim, they should have told you this before doing the work. "Mr X, I recommend that we rebalance your wheels, there is a 50/50 chance we will scratch your rim."

Last edited by Brian425; 07-13-2012 at 09:21 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-13-2012, 09:28 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian425 View Post
. "Mr X, I recommend that we rebalance your wheels, there is a 100% chance we will scratch your rim as this is unavoidable."
Haha..Fixed.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
They owe you a NEW WHEEL, not a refinish.

Unless you failed to document the damage before you took the car back, in which case the story will change.....

it is not 'unavoidable'. Somehow they put the tires on the wheel at the factory with the same method!
The sad thing is, I didn't notice it when I took the vehicle out and noticed later.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:35 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
The sad thing is, I didn't notice it when I took the vehicle out and noticed later.
I'd still bring it in and insist they write it up in an RO. Force them to either lie in writing (the manager did admit they did it, he'd now have to say 'it was already there' or 'wheels were perfect when returned to customer) or he'd likely offer to fix it. THEN, once the offer is in writing, you'd ask for the factory replacement.

How bad ARE they? Picture?

A
Old 07-13-2012, 12:10 PM

It is not too bad like curb rash but you see it when you take a closer look. Yeah..damage is damage.

I will have the picture posted later today.

I will see and let everyone know what would they say once I take them in again.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:05 PM

Mein Auto: '12 X5d; '10 335; '09 128
Even if they admit it, they likely won't replace it with a new wheel, but may send it to be refinished.

If it's not too bad, have them pay to have their "wheel guy" (all dealers, especially their preowned/prep/detail dept.) have one in their rolodex from my experience. You won't be able to tell after a good wheel guy fixes it. I've seen these guys make half-moon rashes disappear and hold a finish as good as factory---a mounting nick or scratch is cake for them to handle. It's an easy fix, and you won't have a matching issue from a fully refinished wheel (can happen). A win/win solution.

The dealer's story is BS by the way.

Last edited by strongarm73; 07-13-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto: 335d & X5 50i
I also experienced this. I had a RTF tire replaced at Firestone and they scratched my wheel as well. I asked them to repair...they refused saying it existed already. I was not too annoyed because there was indeed some light curb rash on that wheel already but they added more and would not fess up to it. But I did get them to drop $50 off the price. The funny thing is on the ticket they wrote it up as a customer satisfaction discount vs we messed up your wheel.

But ever since then, I take pictures and carefully inspect post any tire install. I've had a few dealer replacements since then and they went ok. Works well when you tell them up front about the condition of your wheels.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:20 PM

Update: The SA was nice enough to do a refinish and the scratches are gone. It was a minor scratches and can't expect a new wheel. I'm happy about it.

Original Issue:
My 2012 X5 had 7500 miles so far and had the low frequency vibration on the steering wheel on the freeway and they asked me to do the wheel balancing that is when the problem started. After the wheel balancing, I don't see any improvements and got really bad at slow speed. The X5 was back in to the dealership and they found the Road Force Issue on one of the tires (Continental) and replacement tire also had the same problem. The SA was able to get the approval from BMW NA to replace all the tires. He requested for the Michelin tires but they approved the Bridgestone dueler h/l 400. Hope these tires handle better in the snow.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:34 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Update: The SA was nice enough to do a refinish and the scratches are gone. It was a minor scratches and can't expect a new wheel. I'm happy about it.

Original Issue:
My 2012 X5 had 7500 miles so far and had the low frequency vibration on the steering wheel on the freeway and they asked me to do the wheel balancing that is when the problem started. After the wheel balancing, I don't see any improvements and got really bad at slow speed. The X5 was back in to the dealership and they found the Road Force Issue on one of the tires (Continental) and replacement tire also had the same problem. The SA was able to get the approval from BMW NA to replace all the tires. He requested for the Michelin tires but they approved the Bridgestone dueler h/l 400. Hope these tires handle better in the snow.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....eler+H%2FL+400
looks like they suck in snow
Old 08-02-2012, 01:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i 6 sp Manual+35d
Every time you take your car in to be worked on you are at the mercy of the "techs" that will be working on it - that is the only unavoidable fact. There is usually room for a f***up and the techs usually find it. Forget about it and move on - you are the only one who will see and be bothered by those scratches. The sooner you move on the less you will suffer
Old 08-02-2012, 04:41 PM

Mein Auto: was 530d, is X5d 2011
I am one of those who demands from myself and from others. I have lower expectations for BMW services, because I know the standard. However, when you ask them two or three times "do not wash the car" and they wash it or "put the information about the test drive into work statement" and they don't do this... I can't accept it. Still, washing the car is not so bad, the other day they made a small dent... morons

Unfortunately, SA got used to "help" customers who don't care (my SA told me today that he spent 1hr of his time for me and usually he spends 5 minutes for one client). Another SA was shocked I did not give him the highest notes when they f* up the first service (did not service DEF as they should and they were lying to me afterwards)

WTB: spare tire kit
Old 08-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightmareuki View Post
Agreed.

I would have offered to pay the difference!!!!!