Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:18 AM
CJ

Mein Auto: 328i Sport En Route
Smile Planing to buy a new 328i xDrive

Hello,

I am planing to get the new 328i xDrive soon. But since the car is not available i have not test driven it. And this would be my first luxury car buying experience. The only cars I have test driven is 2012 328i modern line and mercedes C300. I loved the BMW 328i but I am planing to buy a xDrive model because of the weather conditions here in pittsburgh. Is there going to be any difference in driving pleasure between RWD and AWD 3 series? Because mercedes C300 i didnt like at all and that was AWD.

One more thing,

I am actually considering sport line. The one i drove was modern line. The reason I am going for sport line is interior which is only available with sport line. Do you think I will like the sport line as compared to modern line? Does gonna make driving experience harsh?

Thank you, Replies will be appreciated...

--
CJ
Advertisement
Old 07-13-2012, 10:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoshi View Post
Hello,

I am planing to get the new 328i xDrive soon. But since the car is not available i have not test driven it. And this would be my first luxury car buying experience. The only cars I have test driven is 2012 328i modern line and mercedes C300. I loved the BMW 328i but I am planing to buy a xDrive model because of the weather conditions here in pittsburgh. Is there going to be any difference in driving pleasure between RWD and AWD 3 series? Because mercedes C300 i didnt like at all and that was AWD.

One more thing,

I am actually considering sport line. The one i drove was modern line. The reason I am going for sport line is interior which is only available with sport line. Do you think I will like the sport line as compared to modern line? Does gonna make driving experience harsh?

Having owned and driven both RWD and AWD I will say the AWD will give you all the enjoyment the RWD will. The only difference is the AWD cannot be equipped with the sports suspension. If sport suspension is important to you then the AWD is a non-starter. If not the AWD is a great driving car (at least the E46's and E9x varients, I assume the same will apply for the F30).
Old 07-13-2012, 10:49 AM
CJ

Thanks,

That was helpful
Old 07-13-2012, 11:09 AM
CJ

And since you have an experience of buying twice what should be the reasonable price if MRPS is 50K?
Old 07-13-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
And since you have an experience of buying twice what should be the reasonable price if MRPS is 50K?
I'll have to defer this to others as it's been a while since I've bought one new.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:00 PM

Mein Auto: '13 328i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
AWD cannot be equipped with the sports suspension.
Haven't we determined that this isn't totally correct in that while the xDrive cars cannot have the "fixed" sport suspension, they can get M Adaptive Suspension as part of a$1,000 option. Also, when installed on the xDrive cars, the M Adaptive Suspension does not lower the car 10mm (about 3/8") as it and the regular sport suspension do on the RWD cars.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328 xDrive M-Sport
Depending on your market 500-1500 over invoice seems to be the consensus. My car was msrp $50020 and I could only get 6% off msrp so depending on where you buy the car
Old 07-13-2012, 09:31 PM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Hello,

One more thing,

--
CJ
I've owned a RWD and AWD 3 Series in the past 4 years and might be able to help.

Driving Pleasure: The RWD is a lot more fun and responsive, a very different driving experience, feels lighter and tighter on the road.

Sport Line: The sport suspension is rougher and more harsh. The car also comes with sport seats which are very firm, very form-fitting, and can cause fatigue on long trips. You need to spend 30 minutes test driving a sport line to feel the firmer ride and the tighter seats before making a decision there.

Snow Tires: An RWD BMW with its 50-50 weight distribution is fantastic in the snow on dedicated snow tires. Is the AWD model on snow tires better? Sure. But if you are intending to use XDrive and all-season tires you're in luck- getting a RWD and snow tires will be less expensive and safer to drive. It's all about the tires. AWD alone isn't the answer.

Hope this helps.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 07-13-2012, 10:11 PM

Mein Auto: Volvo V70 R& T5, 911 CS4
I believe you can get the adaptive suspension in the xdrive sport line. I am getting it in my xdrive M Sport. Check either the buying or pricing guide. I would think the adaptive drive will not be as harsh as the sport suspension but I haven'g driven one. Hopefully will be driving mine in the next month or month and a half.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicottiK View Post
Haven't we determined that this isn't totally correct in that while the xDrive cars cannot have the "fixed" sport suspension, they can get M Adaptive Suspension as part of a$1,000 option. Also, when installed on the xDrive cars, the M Adaptive Suspension does not lower the car 10mm (about 3/8") as it and the regular sport suspension do on the RWD cars.
It's correct in the fact the AWD car does not come with the sports suspension which comes with the RWD sport package equipped car. I wanted to ensure the OP knew the difference between the two cars wrt the sport package. The fact another suspension may be available does not change this difference between the two regarding the sports package.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:01 AM

Mein Auto: in between cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
I've owned a RWD and AWD 3 Series in the past 4 years and might be able to help.

Driving Pleasure: The RWD is a lot more fun and responsive, a very different driving experience, feels lighter and tighter on the road.

Sport Line: The sport suspension is rougher and more harsh. The car also comes with sport seats which are very firm, very form-fitting, and can cause fatigue on long trips. You need to spend 30 minutes test driving a sport line to feel the firmer ride and the tighter seats before making a decision there.

Snow Tires: An RWD BMW with its 50-50 weight distribution is fantastic in the snow on dedicated snow tires. Is the AWD model on snow tires better? Sure. But if you are intending to use XDrive and all-season tires you're in luck- getting a RWD and snow tires will be less expensive and safer to drive. It's all about the tires. AWD alone isn't the answer.

Hope this helps.

BJ
I've had RWD E46 with sport/premium packages while living in Minneapolis with snow tires on 6 months out of the year. Loved this car but it SUCKED in snow with the snow tires. After 10 years, I replaced it with E90 AWD all season tires with premium package only living in NJ. I honestly didn't feel much difference between RWD and AWD but did get through winters better even though I didn't have snow tires (and believe me, I had highly rated snow tires with the E46). Also had the E46 in NJ with me before the E90 so it was apples to apples. Unfortunately don't like the E90 so got rid of it.

Lastly, changing tires twice a year is no fun.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:32 AM
CJ

That was helpful... I will probably go and test drive the xDrive. But the problem i will have to wait until dealers get them. And i won't be able to order one until i test drive one. The only confusion is sport line/modern line/luxury line/no line at all. I can actually go without any lines but it doesn't come with the leather sport steering. And there no separate option for that. And i think sport line with brushed silver trim/red highlight and black/red highlight dakota leather looks awesome. This is what i don't like. You have so many restrictions...
Old 07-14-2012, 09:29 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
I ordered an xdrive sport line car without having test driven it. My CA who is on his third 3 series said that the AWD that BMW uses has a rear wheel bias and that while the differences in handling are noticeable under very hard driving with summer rubber that BMW have worked their asses off to give the car a RWD feel.

I was also bummed I could not get the sport suspension but happily plunked down for the adaptive M $1k option as it has never been offered before on the AWD cars.

I have been driving AWD Audi cars now for over 12 years and just don't have a lot of desire to go back to not having power to all four wheels. There is also the advantage that the x-drive cars have in slightly faster 0-60 times and they probably gate the slalom better due to AWD but mpg is marginally poorer because of the less efficient drive train and added weight.

My dealer sells 90% AWD cars and will have their x drive demonstrators end of August. Even if you ordered then you would probably get your car by early November if your dealer had open build slots at the factory.

Last edited by voip-ninja; 07-14-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: Volvo V70 R& T5, 911 CS4
AWD and good snow tires will get you snow until you high point them in deep snow.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535Xi, 2006 X3 (wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by manicottiK View Post
Haven't we determined that this isn't totally correct in that while the xDrive cars cannot have the "fixed" sport suspension, they can get M Adaptive Suspension as part of a$1,000 option.....
This is my understanding as well based on reading the pricing and ordering guides, playing with the Build Your Own configurator, and forum feedback from others who have ordered X-Drive F30s with the M Adaptive Suspension.

As far as I know, this is the first time BMW has offered an optional, sportier suspension on an AWD 3 series sedan. They are also offering Sport Steering and Sport AT on AWD and I don't remember those being available with AWD in the past.

My assumption is the difference in driving feel between RWD and AWD on the F30 is lessened compared to past generations if each is equipped with the above three options and they each have identical wheels and tires.

I'll be curious to read about hands-on comparisons once X-Drive F30s become available.

Thanks
Bruce
Old 07-14-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekgirl View Post
I've had RWD E46 with sport/premium packages while living in Minneapolis with snow tires on 6 months out of the year. Loved this car but it SUCKED in snow with the snow tires. After 10 years, I replaced it with E90 AWD all season tires with premium package only living in NJ. I honestly didn't feel much difference between RWD and AWD but did get through winters better even though I didn't have snow tires (and believe me, I had highly rated snow tires with the E46). Also had the E46 in NJ with me before the E90 so it was apples to apples. Unfortunately don't like the E90 so got rid of it.

Lastly, changing tires twice a year is no fun.
I agree with everything written here (except for disliking the E90...I loved mine). Especially the part about changing tires twice a year being a PITA. My buddy had an Accura TL for which he swapped between snow and all seasons. He tired of it and when he replaced his car he went with a Subaru WRX and all seasons. He couldn't be happier.

Snow tires offer better braking and cornering than all seasons, at least in inclement weather conditions, the opposite appears to be true in non-inclement weather conditions). But for forward movement an AWD car with all seasons is much better than RWD with snow tires.

Last edited by sunny5280; 07-14-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega View Post
As far as I know, this is the first time BMW has offered an optional, sportier suspension on an AWD 3 series sedan. They are also offering Sport Steering and Sport AT on AWD and I don't remember those being available with AWD in the past.
I have Adaptive Drive on my X5 and it is not a sport suspension. I'm not well versed on the Adaptive Suspension for the F30 so maybe it's a different thing. However if it's like the Adaptive Drive on the X5 it is not intended to provide a sportier feel. My X5 has the sport package which includes a sport switch but it operates independently of Adaptive Drive. Guess I'll have to do some research on the Adaptive Suspension.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:

But for forward movement an AWD car with all seasons is much better than RWD with snow tires.
Please don't quote incorrect, second-hand information from 'your buddy' as if it's factual. You can get someone hurt. I've personally owned and experienced XDrive with all-season tires (E90) and RWD with snow tires (E93) for 4+ winters and can confirm what the experts in the business will tell you- RWD with snow tires is far, far superior to XDrive on all seasons. Not even close.

There is no magic shortcut. There is no technology as a workaround. You get your ass to the tire shop, you swap into dedicated snow tires, you are safe.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 07-14-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535Xi, 2006 X3 (wife
Quote:
I have Adaptive Drive on my X5 and it is not a sport suspension. I'm not well versed on the Adaptive Suspension for the F30 so maybe it's a different thing. However if it's like the Adaptive Drive on the X5 it is not intended to provide a sportier feel. My X5 has the sport package which includes a sport switch but it operates independently of Adaptive Drive. Guess I'll have to do some research on the Adaptive Suspension.
Cannot speak to the X5, but from what I have read on the forums, the M Adaptive Suspension on the F30, when set in Sport mode, is stiffer and sportier than the fixed Sport Suspension.

Thanks
Bruce

Last edited by BruceOmega; 07-14-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:06 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
... Especially the part about changing tires twice a year being a PITA....
You just need more tools; like an impact wrench and floor jack.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:13 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Please don't quote incorrect, second-hand information from 'your buddy' as if it's factual. ...
A little care, here. The Sunny poster is (probably) quoting an article in C&D that supports his position that for ACCELERATION in a straight line, all-season/awd is faster than rwd/snow. In that limited regime, he is correct.

But the article then goes on to definitively state that for everything else, rwd/snow is superior.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...l-drive-page-8
Old 07-14-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
A little care, here. The Sunny poster is (probably) quoting an article in C&D that supports his position that for ACCELERATION in a straight line, all-season/awd is faster than rwd/snow. In that limited regime, he is correct.

But the article then goes on to definitively state that for everything else, rwd/snow is superior.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...l-drive-page-8
Whew, thanks for clearing that up.

And straight line high-acceleration in snow is something no person would ever attempt or care about so there really is no point in defending it. In fact, one of the biggest issues we have when it comes to winter driving are SUV's and their over-confident drivers thinking that they can drive aggressively because they have big trucks and all wheel drive on, whoops, all season tires. It's a terrible thing that auto makers do, acting as if AWD is the secret sauce to avoiding the trip to the tire dealer for swapping winter treads. Their attempt to make money is costing lives. Here's the quote from the aritcle:

Often cited as the transportation cure for winter climates, all-wheel drive is far from a silver bullet. In previous tests, we've discovered that an all-wheel-drive vehicle with all-season tires can outaccelerate either a front- or rear-driver on winter rubber, but that's where the advantage ends. The additional traction of winter tires allows a two-wheel-drive car to outbrake, outturn, and generally outmaneuver its all-wheel-drive brethren. Of course, the unstoppable winter option that can impart visions of rally-driving heroism is the combination of all-wheel drive and winter tires, but possessing all-wheel drive generally sacrifices a rear-drive car's handling balance in the dry, adds a couple hundred pounds, and comes with a fuel-economy penalty.

The pecking order:

Best: AWD + Snow Tires
Better: RWD + Snow Tires
Good: AWD + All Seasons
Poor: RWD + All Seasons

BJ

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 07-14-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: E84
Bad: RWD + Summer tires.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Please don't quote incorrect, second-hand information from 'your buddy' as if it's factual.
I'll quote whoever I damn well please whether you like it or not.

Quote:
You can get someone hurt.
My apologies. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings with facts.

Quote:
I've personally owned and experienced XDrive with all-season tires (E90) and RWD with snow tires (E93) for 4+ winters and can confirm what the experts in the business will tell you- RWD with snow tires is far, far superior to XDrive on all seasons. Not even close.
And I've personally owned and experience XDrive with all-seasons on both E46 an E90 along with RWD E46 and snows for much longer than 4+ years. You're a rookie in comparison. With that said AWD with all seasons, for foward moment, beats RWD with snow hands down. Not even close. If you think otherwise it's obvious your experience is not what you claim it to be.

Quote:
There is no magic shortcut. There is no technology as a workaround. You get your ass to the tire shop, you swap into dedicated snow tires, you are safe.
There is no substitute for more driven wheels when it comes to forward momentum. AWD with snows is the best (for inclement weather) followed by AWD with all seasons. With RWD and snows taking a third. No and, if, or buts, about it.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:37 PM

[QUOTE=boltjaM3s;6951436]Whew, thanks for clearing that up.

And straight line high-acceleration in snow is something no person would ever attempt or care about so there really is no point in defending it.[/COLOR]

Actually there is. Many times I've seen RWD/FWD having a difficult time pulling through an intersection. They're going through the light and it turns red on them. Meanwhile the cross light is turning green and cross traffic comes flying through the intersection (after all they've got a green light) and almost hits the guy still trying to get through the intersection. Same for pulling away across traffic from a stop sign. Pull out, can't get good acceleration, and almost get t-boned by the traffic they're trying to cross in front of. Or making a left turn across traffic. And so on and so forth. I know, I know...these aren't important to you guys. But they're very real situations for everyone...whether you want to put merit into them or not.

And we'll ignore the decreased performance of snow tires in non-winter conditions. Something often ignored by the snow tire guys. Only focus on the use case they excel at while ignoring the use case they don't excel at.

Last edited by sunny5280; 07-14-2012 at 09:39 PM.