Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 07-18-2012, 01:00 PM
Pure Natural BMW Muscle!

Mein Auto: 320CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by d geek View Post
Based on UK pricing, I expect the 320d with blueperformance to price out around the 328i MSRP before any "ecocredit" or the like. If ecocredit is available, that would put the 320d at the same price as top of the line Passat TDI. Would you buy the 320d in that case?
There is simply no comparison.. a fwd vw or a diesel beemer..
Old 07-18-2012, 01:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty_Cent View Post
There is simply no comparison.. a fwd vw or a diesel beemer..
But it all depends on what you are buying the cars for. If I am looking at sub 200hp cars then I am looking at something to rack a lot of miles on and hopefully will last 200-300k miles without an enormous amount of money being spent on repairs. From what I can tell a 3-series is actually size wise comparable to a Jetta. If a 320d were to cost what a 328i costs over here then that means it would start off at $36.5k. A TDI Jetta starts off at $22.8k, that is a significant difference in cost between two cars that would meet the same basic daily need. If comparing to the Pasat, which actually is a little unfair since that is a bigger car, then still a hefty difference in cost when the base TDI Passat starts off at $26k.

Sure they all drive vastly different and sure each comes with vastly different options but in my minds eye a daily beater really just needs to a) start, b) have cold AC, and c) not be a money pit for repairs. So I really don't need all the fluff a lot of cars come with. Even for my "fun" cars I can care less about a lot of fluff cars come with. I am back to shopping AMGs and my only actual requirement for them options wise is to have leather. So with that shopping a lot of what I am finding is I'd be better off just buying a new car over a used one due to the vastly different amounts of options each has(or would have).

I bought my BMW as an attempt to be a compromise between daily beater needs and fun car needs. I was willing to pay a premium for that over what a beater car costs because the BMW made a good bit of power to make it fun in some scenarios. Less power though would really skew my decision to pay such a premium. If I did not own multiple cars then perhaps I'd look at it very differently. But as it stands I have the room to own a lot of cars and several of them I own for very specific needs/wants.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 & 2012 X5 35d
I think the new Passat TDI (built in TN) is a very attractive alternative as a daily driver. Roomy, great mileage and is very competitively priced. Maybe too early to tell about the reliability though...
Old 07-18-2012, 02:15 PM
diesel evangelist

Mein Auto: Camry hybrid + MB e300D-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
... From what I can tell a 3-series is actually size wise comparable to a Jetta. If a 320d were to cost what a 328i costs over here then that means it would start off at $36.5k. A TDI Jetta starts off at $22.8k, that is a significant difference in cost between two cars that would meet the same basic daily need. If comparing to the Pasat, which actually is a little unfair since that is a bigger car, then still a hefty difference in cost when the base TDI Passat starts off at $26k.
The 3er is closer to the Passat in size in most dimensions. Bigger in some than the Passat (wheelbase, fr headroom, trunk), and smaller than the Jetta in one or two!

Would you ever really compare a 3er to a Jetta?
Old 07-18-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d geek View Post
The 3er is closer to the Passat in size in most dimensions. Bigger in some than the Passat (wheelbase, fr headroom, trunk), and smaller than the Jetta in one or two!

Would you ever really compare a 3er to a Jetta?
Yes, a 180hp 3-series I would most definitely be comparing to a Jetta(or a Passat, which ever seems the same in size when actually looking at them in person). But hey I compared a Sonata, Mazda 6 and G37 before deciding on the 335d and I'd probably gotten a Sonata if I could have found a bare bones one but that proved to be impossible at the time.

Last edited by Snipe656; 07-18-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d & 2014 535i
Aaron might have a point here. BMW's N20 produces 240 hp & 255 lb/ft whereas Hyundai's 2.0 produces 274 hp & 269 lb/ft . It's fairly surreal huh?

Last edited by bayoucity; 07-18-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: 03 Ex Cop 530d Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by milestogo335d View Post
I'm glad they are offering diesel again but these are targeted at the mileage set. I'm sure happy I got the 2011 335d while it lasted since the performance is what I love. I hope to get near 400 HP by the time I'm done with my mods while still returning orignal if not better MPG. The days of high HP engines may be peeking.
Hi,

Can I ask what kind of mods you are planning to try and reach 400 bhp? In my mind, you guys in the USA got the 335d and it's rated at 272 bhp here in the UK, assuming it's the same in the US, I've only seen a 'few' modified Diesels here taking that up to around 350 bhp with extensive work. The performance figures are certainly increased, but so also is the fuel consumption - significantly! I think you may struggle to get close to 400 bhp, but there again, you may have very very deep pockets in order to achieve it!

Cheers, Dennis!
Old 07-19-2012, 12:03 PM

Mein Auto: 335d
Im glad everyone is happy the VW Diesel is an excellent daily driver but the question i ask to those whom have doubts, true be it BMW is more expensive than VW but, would you rather be driving a BMW DIESEL or a VW Diesel? I had the same enigma down here in Puerto Rico and opted for the 335d!! As far as getting 400 bhp on these monsters I believe it can be done but at WAYYY cost. Im happy with my RENNtech flash and dont plan to add any more hp I think with over 425 Lbs of torque on the wheels is enough for me.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel61 View Post
Im glad everyone is happy the VW Diesel is an excellent daily driver but the question i ask to those whom have doubts, true be it BMW is more expensive than VW but, would you rather be driving a BMW DIESEL or a VW Diesel? I had the same enigma down here in Puerto Rico and opted for the 335d!! As far as getting 400 bhp on these monsters I believe it can be done but at WAYYY cost. Im happy with my RENNtech flash and dont plan to add any more hp I think with over 425 Lbs of torque on the wheels is enough for me.
To me it was for a sports car alternative, not just for fun/basic transportation. I've driven a New Beetle TDI 5 speed and it was sporty enough, with good handling and comfort, better economy, etc. but it hardly could match the 335d with sport package, which I consider competitive with a Boxster.

PL
Old 07-19-2012, 02:28 PM

You two are comparing a 335d to a TDI where as I am comparing a 320d to a TDI. For some reason I am doubting many people feel a 320d is like a Boxster. But I never have been in a Boxster, so I might think it is under powered for my likes. I most certainly don't see any 180hp car that can seat four people as being something that satisfies my power desires for a "fun" car.

Last edited by Snipe656; 07-19-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d Sport
Quote:
You two are comparing a 335d to a TDI where as I am comparing a 320d to a TDI. For some reason I am doubting many people feel a 320d is like a Boxster. But I never have been in a Boxster, so I might think it is under powered for my likes. I most certainly don't see any 180hp car that can seat four people as being something that satisfies my power desires for a "fun" car.
No, I'm comparing an E90 335d sport package to a previous generation (2009-2011) Boxster.

PL
Old 07-19-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
No, I'm comparing an E90 335d sport package to a previous generation (2009-2011) Boxster.

PL
I guess you confused me with the TDI Bug part then.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:27 PM
Officially Weird

Mein Auto: Clownshoe,Miata,WeeStrom
I've been waiting for this! But without a manual transmission in the F31 wagon, BMW has lost a sale.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisCooper! View Post
Hi,

Can I ask what kind of mods you are planning to try and reach 400 bhp? In my mind, you guys in the USA got the 335d and it's rated at 272 bhp here in the UK, assuming it's the same in the US, I've only seen a 'few' modified Diesels here taking that up to around 350 bhp with extensive work. The performance figures are certainly increased, but so also is the fuel consumption - significantly! I think you may struggle to get close to 400 bhp, but there again, you may have very very deep pockets in order to achieve it!

Cheers, Dennis!
The Rennert tune takes me to 358 HP. I am going with a new downpie / cat delete, performance exhaust, and large intercooler. Also Rennert is oing to do some fine tuning and we're going to put it back on the dyno. Unfortunately everything has been delayed a bit on the downpipe engineering. I hope to have it completed around the end of August. Fuel consumption gets a little better with the tune and potentially even better with the new downpipe.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by milestogo335d View Post
The Rennert tune takes me to 358 HP. I am going with a new downpie / cat delete, performance exhaust, and large intercooler. Also Rennert is oing to do some fine tuning and we're going to put it back on the dyno. Unfortunately everything has been delayed a bit on the downpipe engineering. I hope to have it completed around the end of August. Fuel consumption gets a little better with the tune and potentially even better with the new downpipe.
Will this downpipe be available for sale or is it solely being made for you? How about the larger IC?
Old 07-23-2012, 12:22 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoucity View Post
Aaron might have a point here. BMW's N20 produces 240 hp & 255 lb/ft whereas Hyundai's 2.0 produces 274 hp & 269 lb/ft . It's fairly surreal huh?
Not to mention with better reliability and on 87 octane gas
Old 07-23-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel61 View Post
I went from a Jetta Wagon TDI to my BMW Diesel and there is nothing wrong with the VW. Honestly, VW is a leader in TDI technology. Everyone I talk to in Europe say that VAG make the best diesels with BMW/MB right behind them.

The little 2.0TDI is quieter and smoother than my curent M57. Hell, it barely even sounds like a diesel. My M57 is pretty loud at idle.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Not to mention with better reliability and on 87 octane gas
I did not even realize the turbo "hunday" ran on 87 but I think people misread me. I was looking at the Sonata back in late 2009 and that is when the old body style was still out. I was considering a base non turbocharged 4 cylinder Sonata w/MT but could not find one to test drive in order to decide if I could live with it.

Quote:
The little 2.0TDI is quieter and smoother than my curent M57. Hell, it barely even sounds like a diesel. My M57 is pretty loud at idle.
I spent a few hours this morning at the BMW dealership while they adjusted my tailpipes and noticed the X5 diesel is a lot louder than a 335d. It does almost sound like a little diesel pickup truck pulling into the bays. Of course I can't make that a complaint given just how loud my 6.0 PSD truck is.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I spent a few hours this morning at the BMW dealership while they adjusted my tailpipes and noticed the X5 diesel is a lot louder than a 335d. It does almost sound like a little diesel pickup truck pulling into the bays. Of course I can't make that a complaint given just how loud my 6.0 PSD truck is.
Yeah, even though they put the insulator pad under the hood, there's a lot of open space (to fit a V8 TT), so the sound resonates and sounds like a truck at idle. 3 series doesn't suffer this for some reason
Old 07-23-2012, 05:03 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yeah, even though they put the insulator pad under the hood, there's a lot of open space (to fit a V8 TT), so the sound resonates and sounds like a truck at idle. 3 series doesn't suffer this for some reason
I don't think the bottom of the engine compartment on the X5d is sealed like the 335d.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to LIL RAJA
Mein Auto: 911, 740il, TSX
why would they downgrade? hmm. let me see they will charge just as much for the 320d as they did for the 335d keeping the "Diesel" name in the car. More money for BMW.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:27 AM

@AutUnion I did test drive the TDI and loved it but the STEALERSHIP wanted to gauge my eyes out, bastards, so i decided to go to Florida on vacation and one of peeves was to drive the 335d since the ones that did arrive here in PR were sold ASAP!! never could test drive 'em so when I test drove the 335d I WAS SOLD!!! I ordered mines and to this day I DONT regret it!!!!