Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 07-13-2012, 01:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 530i
Which brand of ATF for A5S 325Z tranny nowadays ?

Hi all,

Although there are tons of threads on changing the tranny ATF, can't find a definitive answer on what ATF fluid to use. Especially since Bentley manual is silent about '03 530i A5S 325Z tranny (disappointing for how much those manuals cost !!).

As far as I can tell ESSO LT 71141 is **the** one and **the** only official ATF for it but today the only place you can buy it seems to be the dealer, and for a price that makes you suddenly warm up towards the "lifetime oil" mantra.

As such most of us are left to choose from ATFs that "meet" the ESSO LT 71141 spec. Thus the obvious question: what are you/have you used successfully in the past ?

1. ZF-LIFEGUARD FLUID
2. Pentosin ATF
3. Mobil 1 ATF
4. RedLine D4
5. ? -> please feel free to contribute ...

Thanks a lot !
Ads by Google
Old 07-13-2012, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
BavAuto and Jaggi Imports sell ESSO LT71141 but they're both pricey (~$18/qt). I used Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF. It's ESSO LT 71141 compliant and is only about $6/qt. My personal view is oil is oil and change intervals are far more important than brand. But that's the viewpoint of a cheapskate. Valvoline is another alternative. Make your own choice.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:09 PM

Can't find ESSO LT71141 at bavauto. Only ZF and Liqui Moly. Maybe they are not selling it anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
I used Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF. It's ESSO LT 71141 compliant and is only about $6/qt.
Ohhh, that's great catch Fudman !!! That Castrol meets all specs: LA2634, LT71141; Texaco ETL-7045-E, ETL-8027B, Shell M1375.4. And for 6$ a quart at Advance Auto Parts ... it's a winner I guess.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:28 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 530i MSport
Atf

If you can get the ESSO LT71141 go with that, if not go with the ZF Lifeguard 5, imo it might cost a few dollars a litre more but gives better piece of mind.
Again you will hear a lot of other opinions and that is fine, at the end of the day it's still your choice.
There is concensus regarding certain parts that should only come from the OEM (OFHG ect), I feel the same about our tempremental ZF tranny's.
I recently had my ATF changed, the Indy I used rang me to tell me he could source some ZF Lifeguard 5, being the trusting person I am I didn't check before he did the job but when I returned to pick the car up I saw some empty containers of ATF branded 'Vaico', I asked him was that what he put in my car to which he replied yes. I felt so cheated I nearly lost it!, the car is running ok but I have 10 litres of the ZF Lifeguard arriving soon and will drain and fill twice to get rid of most of the Vaico brand.
Even though the Vaico brand is made in Germany I am still not comfortable with that in my transmission.
ZF Lifeguard is $23 a litre over here but so was the Vaico the indy used.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:41 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw4te View Post
can't find a definitive answer on what ATF fluid to use. Especially since Bentley manual is silent about '03 530i A5S 325Z tranny
These may help:
- BMW E39 fluid summary printout for your glovebox (1)
- MTF: Manual transmission fluid (1) (2) & manual transmission fluid-change DIYs (1) (2) (3)
- ATF: Automatic transmission fluid (1) (2) (3) (4) & automatic transmission fluid & filter DIYs (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & torque values (1) & how to find the hidden E39 transmission fluid level dipstick (1) & why ATF gushes out of the fill hole (1) & ZF 5HP19 facts (1)

Here's one blurb about the ATF ...
Quote:
- Automatic transmission (black label): BMW PN: 83.22.0.024.359 or Texaco ETL 8072B or Shell LA2634 (the Bentleys list different fluids and volumes on page 020-10, 240-6, & 240-8). [Volume w/o torque converter/with torque converter, see reference charts]. Replacement Interval: Lifetime oil (Bentley 240-6); but the user-recommended replacement interval for the fluid and filter is roughly 5 years or about 60K miles. Apparently Pentosin is the OEM oil but FEBI also works. Note: Mixing ATF types will cause transmission failure (Bentley 240-6). My 2002 525i with the ZF 5HP19 (aka A5S 325Z) transmission (6.2 liters/8.9 liters or 6.6 quarts/9.4 quarts) has this green sticker.
- Automatic transmission (green label): Dexron III ATF (realistically Dexron VI ATF) BMW PN: 83.22.9.407.807 or Exxon LT-71141 which seems to also be called Esso LT-71141) (Not: the Bentleys list different fluids on page 020-10 than on page 240-6). [Volume w/o torque converter/with torque converter, see complex reference chart]. Replacement Interval: Lifetime oil (Bentley 240-6); but the user-recommended replacement interval for the fluid and filter is roughly 5 years or about 60K miles. Note: Mixing ATF types will cause transmission failure (Bentley 240-6). Some users suggest Castrol Import MV ATF, Valvoline Maxlife ATF, Royal Purple, Amsoil, Mobil Super Multivehicle ATF, & Pentosin ATF, all of which are said to meet Esso/Exxon LT-71141 specifications. (Note: Take special care with Mobil1 as explained here.)

- Manual transmission (yellow sticker): BMW PN: 83.22.9.408.942 or MTF-LT-1 (manual transmission fluid, lifetime, I'm not sure what the "1" means) Bentley page 020-10 & 020-30. [Volume: See chart below.] Replacement Interval: Lifetime oil (Bentley 230-6). A user-recommended fluid is "Royal Purple Synchromax 1512 manual transmission fluid" & Redline MT-90; also recommended is Redline D4 ATF or Redline MTL or Mobil1 Synthetic; the user-recommended replacement interval is roughly 5 years or about 60K miles.
- Manual transmission (orange sticker): The Bentleys, on page 200-4, simply say "ATF" (aka ATF-Oil). Nothing more. Note: This orange sticker is not mentioned in the Bentleys page 020-10 & 020-30 but is noted on page 200-4. Replacement Interval: Lifetime oil (Bentley 230-6); but the user-recommended replacement interval is roughly 5 years or about 60K miles.
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need

Last edited by bluebee; 07-14-2012 at 07:50 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:04 AM

Thanks very much bluebee. Very helpful !!

So in my view, I am left with 3 realistic choices:

1. Castrol Import ATF: $5.50/qt. Need 15 qts: $82.5
2. Pentosin ATF1: $12/L. Need 13L: $156
3. ZF Lifeguard 5: ~$17/L. Need 13L: $221

Castrol ... you have to admit, is very tempting. A bargain really. But why the huge difference in price (as **German** Castrol oil is anything but cheap) ? It is the mighty Castrol, not the shop around the corner, after all. My theory is that with Castrol you have to flush the oil after 30,000 miles while Pentosin/ZF claims theirs to be "lifetime" oils.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:17 AM

An analogy. This is not much different than "extended wear" contact lens. Would you wear the same contacts for a month straight, without removal, if the vendor said it was "rated" for monthly wear? I have yet to meet a single optometrist that agrees with these vendor recommendations. A single overnight or two is fine but their universal belief is sleeping with contacts is NOT a good idea. So who would you believe?

So if a lubricant company says their lubricant is "rated" for lifetime use, would you believe them? If you do, then you must believe Wall St has the best interests of the country in mind in everything they do.

As long as the lubricant meets the qualifications required by the system, oil is oil. Buying more expensive ATF does not mean it is better ATF. You can spend more but you just won't necessarily get more. While the "lifetime" lubricants properties may not change during a lifetime of use, the bigger concern is contamination residing in the lubricant, whose ratio continues to grow the longer it is used. Changing a lubricant more frequently is the ONLY way to REMOVE contaminants from the lubricant and lower that ratio.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
So if a lubricant company says their lubricant is "rated" for lifetime use, would you believe them?
No, not at all. Was never my intention to fuel the "lifetime" propaganda ... If I had, I wouldn't have been searching for new fluid

Typically as with other engine parts, when you see a really cheap one compared to OEMs, you suspect the quality is lower. Same here, when one brand of ATF is $5.50 and the other is $17, hmmmm, naturally one would do some research and try to explain the difference: whether is just marketing gimmick, "the brand" or indeed difference in quality.

When ZF puts a price tag of $17 on the bottle, they need to come up with "something" to justify that. Now whether we believe their justification or not, that's another story (and probably a personal decision).

Anyway, after spending enough time reading BITOG forums, I settled on Castrol so now I have 16 bottles of Castrol Import Multi-vehicle ATF sitting in my basement waiting for the filter and gasket to arrive. Advance Auto Parts had it on sale last weekend so I manage to get them at $5.30 per quart I took that many cuz I wanna flush the PS fluid as well.

I've seen a DIY somewhere that claimed there is a drain screw on the PS pump. Is that true ? If not, I included some crush washers for the PS banjo bolts if I need to drain by unscrewing one from PS or the steering rack. But if you know even a better way, I'm all years .

I couldn't see any crush washers for the tranny sump drain and fill plugs !?! Are those supplied with new plugs only, which means to be one-offs ? Ordered new plugs but need to know whether I need new ones again (as they are not cheap ...) for my second flush.

Cheers !
Old 07-20-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw4te View Post
I've seen a DIY somewhere that claimed there is a drain screw on the PS pump. Is that true ? If not, I included some crush washers for the PS banjo bolts if I need to drain by unscrewing one from PS or the steering rack. But if you know even a better way, I'm all years .

I couldn't see any crush washers for the tranny sump drain and fill plugs !?! Are those supplied with new plugs only, which means to be one-offs ? Ordered new plugs but need to know whether I need new ones again (as they are not cheap ...) for my second flush.

Cheers !
To replace your ATF, use a turkey baster or pump to remove as much ATF from the reservoir as possible and then refill. Start the car and turn the wheel side to side multiple times. Repeat the procedure a few times and you'll have mostly new fluid in your reservoir.

I wouldn't worry about the fill and drain plugs. I reusd my original ones for the fill and the refill. No issues.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:27 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
To replace your ATF, use a turkey baster or pump to remove as much ATF from the reservoir as possible and then refill.
IIRC, there is a drain on the V8 but not on the I6.

More details in the bestlinks ...
- Power steering fluid (1) (2) & power steering fluid flush DIYs (1) (2) (3) (4) & volumes (1) & how to clean the power steering fluid reservoir internal filter (1) (2) & how to replace the cap o-ring (1) (2) & why you want to fix the power steering hose drip onto the alternator (1) (2) (3) & how to debug PSP power steering pump noises (1) (2) (3) or steering rack noises (1) & a nice power steering pump autopsy photo (1) & how to flush cloudy ATF fluid (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & what PS fluid to use (1) (2-pdf) (3-volume) & what volume is needed to buy (1) & DIYs to replace the power steering hoses (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & how to debug common BMW power steering issues (1) and noises (1) (2) (3) or steering rack noises (1)

Here's how I cleaned the filter on mine, for example:

Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 09-28-2012, 08:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 525i wagon
so any fluid that says " recommended for transmissions calling for type LT71141"? walmarts brand supertech multi-vehicle ATF says it on its back label. i bought 7 Qts and the pint of slick 50. gonna change it this weekend. any comments? (i also got a filter and gasket).
2002 525I wagon w/ 120,000 miles. i bought it with 95,000 on it and i dont think the old lady even changed the engine oil in it. (ive already changed that alot)
Old 09-28-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspider666 View Post
" recommended for transmissions calling for type LT71141"?
That phrase is NOT the same as "certified to meet/complies with LT71141 specifications". Unless it states compliance with LT71141 specs, I would return it and get some Castrol. At just $6/qt, there can't be that much of a price difference. That phrase carries as much weight as someone recommending you use olive oil in your tranny.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:36 PM

Now I assume you checked your tranny "sticker" and determined you have a ZF unit and need "ESSO LT71141" ATF. If that's the case and you are not buying the OEM staff (which would be either ZF LifeGuard or Pentosin ATF1), at least you should try to get a fluid whose formulation comes as close as possible to those two. Many ATFs out there claim to be "compatible" and "suitable", but even those have differences in formulation, additive packages and viscosities.

Since additive packages have proprietary formulas, the other factors I was looking at when I chose my ATF were viscosities and popularity. In my case it came down to 3 brands:

- Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF
- Valvoline Import Multi-Vehicle ATF
- Amsoil Multi-Vehicle ATF

OEM values for viscosities are: 40C: 38 / 100C: 7.6

Now for those 3 brands:

- Castrol: 36.6 / 8
- Valvoline: 34.91 / 7.24
- Amsoil: 38.8 / 7.5

The viscosities values for all three above are close to those of the OEM fluid. Furthermore they are well known, well established and I think the most popular brands among DIY-ers.

By the way, based on what I've read, a thinner fluid will produce firmer shifts while a thicker fluid more smoother shifts while also slightly lowering your mpg.

You can buy Castrol and Valvoline from Walmart and they both are around $6,50 per quart. You can get Amsoil online for ~$9 + shipping with their 6 month membership. Valvoline and Amsoil are synthetic while Castrol as far as I know is a synthetic blend (so you need to change it more often, like every 15.000 miles, which is not a bad thing after all).

In my case (76K) I did 2 drains and refills (drove 1000 miles in between and changed the filter each time). Have used Castrol on first round then Valvoline the second time (so now I am running ~50/50 Castrol/Valvoline). It feels and shifts great ! I switched to Valvoline on second fill since I had the impression that Castrol made my tranny feel a little sluggish (Castrol it's a little thicker than OEM) and my MPG also dropped (although now I mostly blame that on switching to RedLine differential fluid - did the differential fluid change at the same time). I plan to do another drain in 10K miles and use Amsoil going forward.

Since your car has 120K miles ... you may want to consider 2 drains as well, especially if your fluid comes out very dirty. If you haven't done so, replacing the differential fluid at that time would be a great idea (and a very easy job too, albeit quite smelly ) although choosing the differential fluid to put in is another story ...

Finally make sure your car is level and pay close attention to ATF temperature. I had access to a scanner when I did mine and that told me the ATF temperature reported by the ECU. Oh boy, the ATF in these cars warms up **really** fast as the tranny ATF colling pipe is warmed by the radiator. If you start the engine from cold, by the time you finish with switching 10 times through all the gears (pausing on each gear for about 5 seconds), your ATF is almost certain above 30 degrees Celsius. To pump in 2.5 more quarts before it reaches 50 degrees is ... a fitness test .

Good luck !

Last edited by bmw4te; 09-28-2012 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Typos ...
Old 10-03-2012, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 525i wagon
thanks! i went with the valvoline, even tho the walmart here didnt have it(advanced auto). and i put mobil 1 in the rear end and power steering.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:15 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Many people report good result with Mobil1 ATF, search for it.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:33 PM

Mein Auto: 7/98 NonVanos 540iA
Esso is semi synthetic. Pentosin and ZF Lifeguard are the same (just different names) and are fully synthetic. Pentosin and ZF Lifeguard began being used in 2005 and were recommended by ZF and BMW to be used in the older trannys that used Esso for OEM (our E39 trannys) in place of the semi synthetic Esso, if one wanted to.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:54 PM

Mein Auto: 1993 BMW 318i
2 years now on Valvoline Max Life Dex/Merc. I read up hours and hours regarding this topic..
Old 10-04-2012, 08:02 AM

ATF is ATF, whether it is made by Esso, Pentosin (which is BMW OEM), Castrol, or Mobil 1.
Also there are Dexron-III, Dexron-IV and Mercon and all that jazz.

Remember the A.T. itself is a complex piece of gear, solenoids etc.

If you substitute factory fluid with any aftermarket ATF, the only thing that might change is the shifting characteristics because these fluids have slightly different viscosity.
Contrary to popular belief, using an aftermarket ATF does not damage your A.T., all it does is it may:
a- Keep the same shifting characteristics.
b- Make the shifting worse.
c- Make the shifting better.

You pick your own brew.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:24 AM
Gearhead

Mein Auto: '98 528i, '82 323i
While all may have the same color and smell, not all ATF produces the same friction properties, which is what's at stake here if you want to maintain clutch & trans longevity. Coefficient of friction is what you're looking to match up when it comes to qualifying various ATF brands for use in your trans.

If you use ATF that's too slippery or too grabby, then you may wind up w/ a different feel when the gears go through a shift, and/or too grabby when you put the car in gear. this is the biggest concern I see when it comes to validating which ATF to use for a particular Trans....
Old 10-04-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHoang View Post
Coefficient of friction is what you're looking to match up [...]
Isn't purchasing a fluid that meets LT71141 specifications accomplishing that goal ?
Old 10-04-2012, 10:53 AM

http://www.mobil.com/Russia-English/...F_LT71141.aspx

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MobilATF.JPG
Views:	708
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	344328  
Old 10-06-2012, 08:41 AM

Mein Auto: E39
Whenever I am on the "manual side" and slow down to a stop at the lights, the transmission will goes down to third gear and when I put the shifter back to the "D", I can feel a jerk on the transmission. After the new fluid in, it is gone now, as smooth as silk.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
Redline and Amsoil are really popular for this and are synthetic so it should last longer. I opted for redline since its a lot more readily available (ordered from amazon) and amsoil has a very weird distribution system.

Havent really noticed any difference with redline in there to be honest but the fluid i replaced didnt look all that bad either.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:18 PM

So today I stumbled upon this post which is also discussed in this thread where Doru is showing a transmission inundated with sludge after, and apparently, as a direct result of switching to non-OEM ATF. Based on the information provided, it was not a case of Amsoil ATF dislodging shavings, behavior which is commonly linked with "new oil cleanup effect".

In my opinion that is a incident whose severity is demanding a lot more "ink" and attention from everyone who have strayed away from OEM ATF. Basically, if we cannot prove with comfortable certainty that that was an isolated case ... the conclusion is that the risk of killing your transmission is very high when using anything but ZF/Pentosin ATF.

After seeing those pictures ... I'm on the brink of replacing my 1-month old Valvoline ATF with ZF Lifeguard 5 ...

Maybe if Doru is around, could he recall what ZF transmission was that one, any updates for its current state and if he saw anything similar ever since ?

Thank you.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:38 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
I agree that that's very disturbing. However there has been so many people who use amsoil and red line that it's hard to make this one case an example for every transmission fluid change. There been countless people including myself who used red line and have driven thousands of miles with no issues as described by the post. It's possible they didn't properly add enough atf by having the car running and then adding fluid till it drips out?