Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 07-13-2012, 08:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 MINI JCW Countryman
Almost there...

Well, thank you all for all of your assistance and patience over the last few. Assuming the transaction wraps up as expected, the following vehicle is to be delivered to my driveway Thursday of this coming week!

It's a 2011 Titanium Silver CPO with sport with black interior with the brushed metal trim. Approx 32,000 miles, one owner. Well-equipped with Sport, Nav, HK sound, cold-weather package with split rear seat. No park-distance control or convenience.

Don't know that Silver would've been at the top of my list, but I do think this is a very sharp car.

This is the car I was talking about in the whack-a-mole thread, that I was able to take for a test drive and visually inspect when I was in the Philly area last month for business.

Traded my Countryman for it. While a long-distance deal is doable, it does take some patience! (My MINI was picked up via car transport and taken to NJ; the 335d should be brought down Thursday or Friday. All arranged by them) The staff there was very nice. Google turned up a number of customers who complimented them on handling long-distance deals. Found the car via AutoTrader or the CPO search site on the BMW site - unfortunately, don't remember which.

Thanks again!
Advertisement
Old 07-13-2012, 08:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335d
Congrats so finally long search comes to end...

335d Black Sapphire/Biege/Premium/Sport/Cold/Nav/CA/PDC/iPod

Old 07-14-2012, 09:03 AM
hang up and drive!

Bout time. I think my wife and I conveived and had a birth in that time.

Enjoy, know you're gonna love the car.

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)
Old 07-16-2012, 06:23 PM

I had to rent a car to tide me over while awaiting the arrival of my 335d (Thursday or Friday). Got a 2012 328 - pretty basic configuration, black with black leatherette, brushed metal trim, sunroof, etc.

Didn't know that this car incorporated the auto-stopping technology that shuts the engine off when you come to stop, automatically restarting when you take your foot off the brake to pull away. UGGGGHH! Very disappointing. Reminds of my early Prius experiences. Not as smooth as I would've expected.

Found the whole car a bit underwhelming. A little noisy, too. Just seemed cheaper than the 335d. I guess in the model line it is, even if they are a year apart.

Makes me wish I'd rented something cheaper ;-(

Last edited by Maybe335d; 07-16-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:46 PM

Well, after a day of driving, I guess I need to tone down my original review.

The car actually doesn't drive badly. Has a good feel overall. But that auto-shutoff "feature" would definitely take some time to get used to.

Black cars are sharp!
Old 07-18-2012, 08:38 PM

Mein Auto: 09 MCS Cabrio, 2012 328i
Your new car is beautiful, congratulations!

2006 330i I owned was the same combination. Loved the aluminum/black combo.

Enjoy your new car!
Old 07-19-2012, 10:59 AM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: 435/x3 35
Nice car...looks like the exact same equipment as mine. Enjoy when you get her.....
Old 07-19-2012, 12:33 PM

Well, the car is on a hauler somewhere between NJ and TN. If the planets are aligned just right, I was told I could see it tonight. If not, it's supposed to be here tomorrow.

It will be interesting to get into it after a few days driving the 328i. While I'm liking the car more than when I first drove it, I'm not sure I'd want one equipped like this.

Is the auto stop/start also on the new 335i?

Anticipation...
Old 07-19-2012, 02:08 PM
hang up and drive!

I just got the 2012 328i as a loaner and I was totally underwhelmed by it.

The engine stop/start feature sucks. You can hit the off button above the start/stop button and eliminate that nuisance. The car shakes everytime it starts back up.

What did you think of the shifter? I thought that sucked as well.

Try changing the volume of the radio and you change the temp of the A/C. Got the nobs right above the other.

I did not like the dash layout either.

But, I have to admit for a few moments I thought they had given me a 5 series. Had to get out and read the badge on the rear to be sure. It feels a bit roomier.

And don't get me started on the non-sports package.

1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
Old 07-19-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingman View Post
I just got the 2012 328i as a loaner and I was totally underwhelmed by it.

The engine stop/start feature sucks. You can hit the off button above the start/stop button and eliminate that nuisance. The car shakes everytime it starts back up.

What did you think of the shifter? I thought that sucked as well.

Try changing the volume of the radio and you change the temp of the A/C. Got the nobs right above the other.

I did not like the dash layout either.

But, I have to admit for a few moments I thought they had given me a 5 series. Had to get out and read the badge on the rear to be sure. It feels a bit roomier.

And don't get me started on the non-sports package.

The stop/start feature is my biggest complaint. Simply not smooth enough.

The shifter - on one hand, I like it, but i find it odd that they have to reinvent something that has worked for years. As a result, we sort of have to relearn how to use it!

The nob situation didn't phase me. But the AC doesn't seem particularly strong. It's a mid-90's day and I had the car on 70, and it didn't seem to be really kicking in. Even if I overrode the automatic settings.

Mine is also non-sport, but that has bothered me less than I expected. But I haven't spent a great deal of time in a car with the Sport package. That may be a good thing!

The car is Jet Black - I do like it, but know it wouldn't be sensible for me.

Well, it's going back to the rental lot in a couple of hours.

Last edited by Maybe335d; 07-19-2012 at 02:38 PM. Reason: typos
Old 07-19-2012, 07:49 PM
hang up and drive!

Well, I did reset the MPG when I picked up the loaner yesterday. Will hopefully get a few normal commutes to work and back to compare, but so far, MPG wise, the new 328i is beating out my 335D. It is around 30mpg so far, but not yet representative commuting miles on it yet. Still pretty impressive, but no "WoW" factor.

1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
Old 07-20-2012, 08:10 PM

Sigh...

Long-distance deals can be frustrating. My car, which I had thought was going to be delivered on Thursday or Friday, is now not going to get her until Sunday or Monday!

The dealership arranged everything re the transport of both my trade and this car. Unfortunately, this last piece of the deal hasn't been ideal.

Oh well. Patience is a virtue!
Old 07-21-2012, 02:56 AM
hang up and drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe335d View Post
Sigh...

Long-distance deals can be frustrating. My car, which I had thought was going to be delivered on Thursday or Friday, is now not going to get her until Sunday or Monday!

The dealership arranged everything re the transport of both my trade and this car. Unfortunately, this last piece of the deal hasn't been ideal.

Oh well. Patience is a virtue!
Now imagine placing a special order car and waiting 3-4 months to receive it.

1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
Old 07-21-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingman View Post
Now imagine placing a special order car and waiting 3-4 months to receive it.
Been there, too. But at least you somewhat know what to expect. When I ordered my Countryman, there were tracking mechanisms such that I could see when it left the factory, was on the ship, at the port, etc.

Here, it's been the disconnects between me, the dealership, and the hauler as to what's going on. It's leaving Tuesday, no, it's Wednesday, you'll get it Thursday, no it's Saturday.

Still, I'm optimistic - and am hoping the dealer does right with all of this. The biggest pain is managing (and paying for) rental cars.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:59 PM

Titanium Silver is the best color after all!

Old 07-23-2012, 09:38 PM

As I said before, I'm learning that patience really is required when doing a long-distance transaction. The driver called me today and my car is supposed to be here Tuesday afternoon! Ended up on a different truck, so rather than stopping once in KY, it has gone through Pittsburgh, and a couple of other cities. God, it's been quite a haul.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d Sport
Examine the car real well when it gets off the truck for damage in transit. Its easy to damage a car especially the bodywork underneath when securing it to a trailer.

PL
Old 07-24-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
Examine the car real well when it gets off the truck for damage in transit. Its easy to damage a car especially the bodywork underneath when securing it to a trailer.

PL
From someone who is not the most mechanical person on the planet - are there any particular things to keep an eye out for?
Old 07-24-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
From someone who is not the most mechanical person on the planet - are there any particular things to keep an eye out for?
I am a claims manager for a very large insurance company and see quite a few claims where cars get damaged from towing or transport. Will you be present when the truck shows up?? If so...look to to see the way it is hooked up to the trailer/flat bed/etc. I have seen drivers ratchet ties downs on lower control arms and other suspension parts. If done right the vehicle should be secured with either wheel webbing straps or tied down at factory approved locations. Before you do anything (get in it, touch it, etc)...look over the car panel by panel. Cars in transport get dings on the doors, fenders, hood and roof very easy. It is usually caused by the driver unhooking or hooking up another car and the strap or chain swings down or to the side and hits a car. Check the top of the vehicle for scratches as I have also seen claims where the car was on the top rack on a truck and the driver took a route with low hanging trees.....
Check under the front lip of the bumper for road rash. The ramps on these trucks are fairly steep and can chew up the lower lip on the bumper. Make sure you have your owners manual, BMW tool kit, diesel fuel filler adapter and the ipod/phone cable is so equipped. If you see any damage or anything not right that was not disclosed to you by the dealer make sure you document it on the delivery sheet a take a photo with a cell or camera. Once you you sign for it you are stuck with it unless the dealer steps up to resolve it. Hope this helps....
Old 07-24-2012, 02:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d Sport
Quote:
We had a New Beetle shipped and it was straddled between two sections of an open trailer and held down hard (its relatively tall), you know, the kind that has two levels with multiple cars on angles. It had gouges on both sides in the low rocker panels. The shipping company had the driver pay for it out of his fee, which was about $1000 to ship from WA to KY. Fortunately I picked a very trustworthy shipping broker.

PL

Last edited by Pierre Louis; 07-24-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:16 PM

The truck came yesterday afternoon! Car doesn't seem to have incurred any damage along the way - all appears to be good!

Will provide more details later!
Old 07-25-2012, 01:10 PM

Mein Auto: 335d, FIAT 500 Abarth
Quote:
The truck came yesterday afternoon! Car doesn't seem to have incurred any damage along the way - all appears to be good!

Will provide more details later!
Congratulations! Got a road trip planned? Somewhere far away, or maybe scenic?

After two years with my "d" I'll soon take my first extended road trip next month (it's been a long wait, due to my schedule). It'll be a favorite destination: Lake Tahoe. The twisty bits in the Sierras should be loads of fun.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:20 AM

Great amigo at least with the Silver color it will never look dirty I used to own a Silver 02 MCS and sometime went a month w/o washing , good luck now mod the ECU and you will unleash the beast!!!
Old 07-26-2012, 11:43 AM

A couple of surprises already, having the car just a couple of days.

Went to the TN emissions inspection station to get the car tested - a prereq for getting permanent tags. AND... the car fails. Luckily, the guy doing the test has seen this before. "Has the car been worked on recently?". And it had been, some warranty work just before leaving the dealership. He told me to come back in a couple of hundred miles for a free retest. I think that he said it has to do with the injectors? I'll be going back after the first of the month. Too many people now with tags expiring in July trying to get tested.

The other unexpected surprise - almost $80 for the iPhone "integration" cable at the dealership here. God, cables are a racket. Whether for computers, audio systems, you name it, there are some serious margins in them! But I wanted it ASAP, so I paid it.

Just filled up the tank, so created a new car on Fuelly.com. Diesel is back up here - paid $3.69.

And Axel61 - you are right. The Silver is a great color.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
A couple of surprises already, having the car just a couple of days.

The other unexpected surprise - almost $80 for the iPhone "integration" cable at the dealership here. God, cables are a racket. Whether for computers, audio systems, you name it, there are some serious margins in them! But I wanted it ASAP, so I paid it.

Right after posting this, I'm checking some of my regular car blogs, and see this article on AutoBlog. I had just been thinking about that. I hope that BMW doesn't take to long to get compatible cables out, if Apple does what many are predicting re the new connectors. Can't wait to put out ANOTHER $80 for it!