Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series DIY

7 Series DIY
Do It Yourself forum dedicated for 7 Series BMW Owners

Old 01-11-2015, 07:22 AM

Mein Auto: Tahoe, 750I
E65 Fuel Smell , How to replace vapor canister?

I have a bad fuel smell from my 2006 750I 100k miles. I topped it off and that is when this began. I have to park the car out side of the smell in the garage is over powering. I can not find any leaks though and the smell is predominant near the rear passenger tire area. I have read and believe that I need a new fuel vapor canister. I have searched and searched and cannot find instructions or videos for DIY replacement. Does anyone have a link of insight to this. Thank you for the help. I hate to leave such a great car parked outside.
Advertisement
Old 01-19-2015, 03:09 PM

I found a good online write up here. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=709606 . I took out my canister but it appears it is attached to the expansion tank , I saw no way to separate them. Has anyone done this and can offer any advice? Thank you
Old 01-20-2015, 07:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 bmw 750li
2006 BMW 750Li Gas tank leak / smell gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedic521 View Post
I have a bad fuel smell from my 2006 750I 100k miles. I topped it off and that is when this began. I have to park the car out side of the smell in the garage is over powering. I can not find any leaks though and the smell is predominant near the rear passenger tire area. I have read and believe that I need a new fuel vapor canister. I have searched and searched and cannot find instructions or videos for DIY replacement. Does anyone have a link of insight to this. Thank you for the help. I hate to leave such a great car parked outside.
Hi Firemedic521
My 2006 750Li has same problem, smell really bad whenever I fill the gas tank, do not see any leak, just bad gas smell around the passenger side rear wheel area. The smell goes away after driving for couple days. Please let us know if you found a way to correct this problem.
Thanks.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:31 PM

I finally got around to pulling out the back seat and found the area just behind the fuel pump compartment saturated with fuel. The fuel pump sealed compartment did not appear to have fuel leaking in it but that is the only place I can figure it is coming from. There is an area just behind the compartment under the seat that had old fuel pooled there. The foam was saturated . I cleaned the area up and left the seat out to air out. No new fuel leaked... Tomorrow I am going to go and fill up and watch to see what happens wit this area. Very weird
Old 10-01-2015, 08:13 PM

So I filled the tank to about 3/4 with the back seat out and noticed that the fuel is leaking from the top of the fuel pump , It looks like there must be some very small crack in the white plastic where the electrical harness attaches. I had to go drive around for a couple hours to get the fuel below 1/2 for it to stop leaking. Tomorrow I am going to pull the pump and see what it looks like on the underside of that cap. I can't find just that cap for sale anywhere so I am going to attempt to use some sort of epoxy to see the crack. Has anyone else ran into this?
Old 11-26-2015, 03:31 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedic521 View Post
So I filled the tank to about 3/4 with the back seat out and noticed that the fuel is leaking from the top of the fuel pump , It looks like there must be some very small crack in the white plastic where the electrical harness attaches. I had to go drive around for a couple hours to get the fuel below 1/2 for it to stop leaking. Tomorrow I am going to pull the pump and see what it looks like on the underside of that cap. I can't find just that cap for sale anywhere so I am going to attempt to use some sort of epoxy to see the crack. Has anyone else ran into this?
Firemedic did the epoxy fix your fuel leak? I'm having the exact same issue... Bad fuel smell in passenger compartment after filling the gas tank to full. Just got it from dealer and they quoted me $750 to fix. The mechanic noticed a pool of fuel near the plastic cap covering pump. Not much info on this issue and would love to find a good diy solution to post a write up. Fuel pump doesn't seem to be to expensive, $170 on OEMbimmerparts, and I'm wondering if a replacement will solve the issue. If I can't find a good fix I'll just have to avoid filling gas to full.

Fuel pump:
https://www.oembimmerparts.com/BMW-E65-7-Series-Fuel-Pump-Assembly-W-Seal-p/16117271162-467e65.htm
Old 11-26-2015, 04:38 PM

So far so good. I used epoxy on the top and marine epoxy putty on the bottom. It's been a few months and its holding fine. Replacing the pump will solve it too as long as the new pump comes with that cap. Some of the kits are rebuilds only and don't have the cap.
Old 11-26-2015, 04:39 PM

One thing , make sure you are under half a tank before you pop that cap or you will have fuel everywhere
Old 11-26-2015, 05:13 PM

Mein Auto:
Awesome thanks! I'm gonna take a look next week and try to figure out where it's actually leaking from. The mechanic said he noticed some fuel right on top of the plastic cap so I'm guessing it's the same area as your leak. I'll add some photos if I find the leak there. Thanks again! Will let you know how it turns out
Old 11-26-2015, 05:45 PM

The mechanic should have been able to tell you where the leak was from. If there is fuel on top of the cap its coming from one if there places. 1- a hairline crack in the plastic. 2- one of the 2 fuel lines coming out of the cap. 3- from the gasket , if it pooling on top it probably isn't the gasket since it will run down the side and not the top. To rule out the fuel lines I put pieces of paper towel around them to see if the got soaked. They didn't. I will try to upload photos when I get to my desk top
Old 11-26-2015, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto:
I didn't get a chance to get into details about where the leak was coming from because I was just in for an alignment and was leaving on a road trip that night. I figured I'd get into it this coming week and do some diagnosing myself. He did say something about it leaking from the seal but i rarely 100% believe the dealerships diagnosis. I always like to get in there myself and get a second opinion. Great tips on the fuel lines though! Every little bit of info helps.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:35 PM

photo uploading Mine was leaking from the wiring connection( the black rectangle) , it was pretty obvious once I removed it , you could see the fuel seeping through. its not pictured but to the left to the cap is a drain port that was draining the seeping fuel to the outside by the rear wheel well. that is why I thought is was the vapor canister, it was draining out right near it and the smell was very strong near that vapor canister. Any how the cap is easy to get off, pop the fuel lines off ( make sure you are under half a tank!!!) remove the wire connection. take a blade screw driver and tap the silver ring counter clock wise. I have heard that leaking from the gasket is common, the ring loosens over time, etc. When I reinstalled I cleaned the gasket and put some silicone lube on it ( same stuff I have for pool gaskets) its been a few months and all is well.

I love this car and for a while I thought this was going to be the end of it when I couldn't find the leak. pulled the vapor canister , followed the fuel lines, I couldn't find it for the life of me. Car and garage wreaked of fuel, had to park it out side. The family wouldn't ride in it. the end was near. $10 worth of epoxy fixed it
Old 12-06-2015, 08:25 AM

Mein Auto:

Found a pool of gas near black connector and also behind tank access. You can kind of see the pool of gas in the picture. About to take apart and see if it's coming from black connector or from the silver ring gasket.

Last edited by Jgonzalez0010; 12-07-2015 at 10:32 AM. Reason: pic
Old 12-06-2015, 08:27 AM

Mein Auto:
Ok here we go:
I believe I found where its leaking from. Just like firemedic said it looks like its coming from the black rectangle wire connector on the bottom of the plastic cap. In the pic below you can see a black crack on the underside of cap right next to the wires.

I'm going to apply Marine Epoxy around the crack and cross my fingers. I'll also put some epoxy on the top for good measure.

Last edited by Jgonzalez0010; 12-08-2015 at 05:40 AM.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:39 AM

Mein Auto:
And the results are in................SUCCESS!. After allowing it to cure over night I put everything back together, primed the fuel system by locking and unlocking the car several times (pump activates when car is unlocked to prepare for start). Engine started right up. Allowed the engine to run for about 20 mins to ensure no air got into the system. A big thanks to Firemedic521 for his help. Cost of repair was about $6.00!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series DIY
Today's Posts Search