Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 07-15-2012, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 530i
AUX Fan Problem! 1998 BMW 328i

My Aux fan wont turn on. One day it was stuck on and kept running after the car was off. I researched it and figured it was a stuck relay. I purchased a new High and Low speed Relay's. The fuses seem to be ok.
The Aux fan still wont turn on, even when I turn on the A/C (this leads me to believe it is not a temp gauge issue?) I applied power directly to the fans hookup and it turned on sooo I am assuming maybe its a short or something .. between the relays and the fan?
*Also if the car is sitting still or im driving slow the temp needle creeps past 1200 if i speed up it goes back down. Im assuming this is directly connected to the aux fan problem. As when i speed up theres more airflow so it cools back down.

Any thoughts would be appreciated greatly!
Advertisement
Old 07-15-2012, 01:51 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Stopped/driving slow it still shouldn't go past 12 o'clock. Your fan clutch is worn out, a separate problem from your auxiliary fan not working.

For the aux. fan problem, start tracing power from the fuse block to the fan. Did you test the fuses or just look at them? You can't always tell if a fuse is good by sight. If you have power going out of the fuse block, it's getting interrupted somewhere. Find the break and you found your problem.

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 07-15-2012, 02:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 530i
I actually just replaced the Fan clutch, fan blade and housing a couple months ago because my mechanic thought the same thing, i would hope it hasnt gone bad again that fast.. Sorry I forgot to add that onto the original post.
I tested the fuses by sight - Tonight i will just buy new ones and try that.
I also have a friend coming over with a voltage tester tomorrow and I will trace the powersupply and let you know what I come up with.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:20 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
You might have a sticky thermostat that's causing your temperature creep. If all is correct you should be maintaining temperature without the aux fan so you've got two problems to solve.