Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:19 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by 755MSL View Post
Is this a safety related issue? I'm assuming it's so that you don't waste a second in putting the car into gear and reacting.
That is part of it and it is also a car control issue.
I am trying to find a good explanation to post.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 07-16-2012, 09:40 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Any high performance driving school will teach that gliding or coasting is considered a poor driving technique.

The car should always be in gear and you should always be on either the throttle or the brakes even if you are lightly brushing the brakes or applying "maintenance throttle",

This is probably less critical when driving well below the limits of the car on public roads but in my opinion bad driving habits are bad driving habits and the fact that you may get away with them does not change that,

CA
I don't really care what a drive school is teaching about performance driving. When I'm coming off one of our long freeway off-ramps or slowing for a light I detest the fact that automatics keep the car in gear. Many have the nerve to pull it down, keeping revs up. I want the gear I want (or no gear at all). My choice, my car. In 3 years driving an automatic and in almost 30 years driving cars with all transmissions, it gets under my skin the way an automatic transmission always try to override what I want to do. Too slow to get to top gear when I'm cruising comfortably and way too slow to let the engine and gravity slow the vehicle.

When I'm on the track, the car's gear and it's all about keeping it in the rev range. Here I see the usefulness of an DCT/DSG. On public roads, I don't see the value in an automatic.

I've seen the explanations. My father, a car lover, insists I'm the devil for doing this wrong. 30 years I've never been surprised by anything that required me to shift to a gear faster than what I'm seeing, the world's a really predictable place and even more so in specific circumstances.

Last edited by brkf; 07-16-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:50 PM
flBM

Mein Auto: 2009 128i
Wow guys! This has made it harder!! I loved my manual 128 and had so much fun with it. First I was thinking that if I end up buying the car, I will get an automatic (better resale and also easier to sell) but if I lease it then I will get the manual. Well, I am going to lease the car but haven't changed it to auto. Maybe it's time for automatic and if I truly truly miss the manual, it's only three years until I get a new one. But keep the advice coming, who knows what happens when I wake up tomorrow!!
2006 325i with Auto. Jet Black, Black ette, Burl. Retired!
2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse. 6Spd Retired!
Old 07-17-2012, 04:37 AM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by flbm View Post
Maybe it's time for automatic and if I truly truly miss the manual, it's only three years until I get a new one. But keep the advice coming, who knows what happens when I wake up tomorrow!!
Keep it coming? That's not the way it works. Make a decision, preferably when you're awake, and tell us what you're doing.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 07-17-2012, 05:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
Like I said before, when in doubt go with the manual. why? Because that is what happened to me. I thought oh ok, its a 7-speed, reviews were positive, it will be nice in traffic, yada yada yada. Result? after 3 weeks I was stuck with automatic transmission I didn't want.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2011 X5 35d Great SUV gone

2009 C350 Mercedes Gone 7-31-2012, good car but boooooooooring.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsor027 View Post
Like I said before, when in doubt go with the manual. why? Because that is what happened to me. I thought oh ok, its a 7-speed, reviews were positive, it will be nice in traffic, yada yada yada. Result? after 3 weeks I was stuck with automatic transmission I didn't want.
Agreed, but not just on transmission choices. If you have any doubt about any decision- girlfriend, music, dinner- it means there's something wrong. If you've been drinking orange juice for 20 years and suddenly you decide to change to grapefruit juice and you have nagging doubts, stay with what you know.

The OP isn't asking for advice on the virtues of MT vs. AT; he's asking us to help him decide between walnuts and peanuts, a bit of a waste of time.

He needs to take a thorough test drive in an AT and decide if it's for him. Pretty simple answer.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 07-17-2012, 06:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to MonkeyCMonkeyDo
Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by brkf View Post
She can't learn? BMWs have really easy manuals and all that torque makes it easy too. Thankfully, my wife likes manuals so that would never be an issue...
I could teach her and have just the beater to do it in but she has no desire to get good at it. Especially being in so cal. But she also tired of hearing me talk about my new car about 10 minutes after I ordered it.

I think if I force myself to use the paddles for regular driving it will become second nature and actually really be a blast to use. The problem is they are not a natural action for people so you have to train yourself to use them. I will NOT miss my left foot cramping in stop and go LA traffic.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyCMonkeyDo View Post
I could teach her and have just the beater to do it in but she has no desire to get good at it. Especially being in so cal. But she also tired of hearing me talk about my new car about 10 minutes after I ordered it.

I think if I force myself to use the paddles for regular driving it will become second nature and actually really be a blast to use. The problem is they are not a natural action for people so you have to train yourself to use them. I will NOT miss my left foot cramping in stop and go LA traffic.
Tried it, for a week on a loaner I had, didn't feel the same to me.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2011 X5 35d Great SUV gone

2009 C350 Mercedes Gone 7-31-2012, good car but boooooooooring.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Agreed, but not just on transmission choices. If you have any doubt about any decision- girlfriend, music, dinner- it means there's something wrong. If you've been drinking orange juice for 20 years and suddenly you decide to change to grapefruit juice and you have nagging doubts, stay with what you know.

The OP isn't asking for advice on the virtues of MT vs. AT; he's asking us to help him decide between walnuts and peanuts, a bit of a waste of time.

He needs to take a thorough test drive in an AT and decide if it's for him. Pretty simple answer.

BJ
The OP asked of there was anyone who had gone from an MT to an AT and regreted it later. I think that several people, myself included answered that question based on our own experience. I think that a number of posters explained that it was a matter of personal preference.

A test drive will only tell you so much, you really need to live with the car for a while and drive it in the environment that it will be used in but unfortunately that is not always possible. From my own experience I test drove several 3 Series in 2007 and wound up buying the E93. Those test drives were a few miles and a few minutes. Recently I had a 750Li for a 4 day extended test drive. I put 500 miles on it in a variety of the environments that I normally use my car in. I liked it and bought one the next week. If I had had the same opportunity with the 335i I never would have purchased it.

As for having doubt about a decision, I have had doubts about many decisions and then realized that in retrospect they were the correct decisions. You should not go through life with the attitide that "All Change is Bad". Sometimes you need to move on and try something different.

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project

Last edited by captainaudio; 07-17-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio

As for having doubt about a decision, I have had doubts about many decisions and then realized that in retrospect they were the correct decisions. You should not go through life with the attitide that "All Change is Bad". Sometimes you need to move on and try something different.

CA
After years of drinking Diet Coke I just ordered Diet Pepsi. Anyone else do this? Were you nervous? What should I do? The waiter is coming and he has my glass!

BJ

Old 07-17-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
After years of drinking Diet Coke I just ordered Diet Pepsi. Anyone else do this? Were you nervous? What should I do? The waiter is coming and he has my glass!

BJ
Send it back and order a bottle of Chateau Lafite Rothschild

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 07-17-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
send it back and order a bottle of chateau lafite rothschild

ca

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project

Last edited by captainaudio; 07-17-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:56 AM

Mein Auto: AW F30 328i Sportline
Quote:

BJ
Come on man, Diet Pepsi?! With that Status Package of yours that came with the car, you should be drinking 50 year old whisky.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 755MSL View Post
Come on man, Diet Pepsi?! With that Status Package of yours that came with the car, you should be drinking 50 year old whisky.
Old whiskey?!!!

What status is there in old out of style whiskey ?

Those that understand status will settle for nothing less than new whiskey.

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project

Last edited by captainaudio; 07-17-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:09 PM
Officially Weird

Mein Auto: Clownshoe,Miata,WeeStrom
I wouldn't dream of suggesting you made a mistake by ordering the AT if you will sometimes/frequently experience physical discomfort driving an MT. Seems silly.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:53 PM
flBM

Mein Auto: 2009 128i
went to the dealership today! Missed half day of work again. They didn't have any manual tranny in any F30!! They didn't have any 335!! So drove the 328 auto base for about 15 minutes in sports occasionally shifting manually. Well, since I haven't driven the manual, I can't compare but it was a decent drive and ample power. I think with the 335, the auto will have power on demand and I can always do the manual shift on turns etc.
Well my friends, time for a change as the CA just told me that nothing can be done. Thanks for all the help! Sorry to disappoint all the manual lovers. With the Orlando traffic and the autostick option, I think I will be alright! Like I said, if I miss it too much, there is always a next time!
BTW boltjaM3s, the Diet Coke/Diet Pepsi analogy was terrible! LOL Can't compare a $45K Ultimate Driving Machine to a $1 soda!
CaptainAudio, you rock!!
Thank you all!!
2006 325i with Auto. Jet Black, Black ette, Burl. Retired!
2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse. 6Spd Retired!
Old 07-17-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
went to the dealership today! Missed half day of work again. They didn't have any manual tranny in any F30!! They didn't have any 335!! So drove the 328 auto base for about 15 minutes in sports occasionally shifting manually. Well, since I haven't driven the manual, I can't compare but it was a decent drive and ample power. I think with the 335, the auto will have power on demand and I can always do the manual shift on turns etc.
Well my friends, time for a change as the CA just told me that nothing can be done. Thanks for all the help! Sorry to disappoint all the manual lovers. With the Orlando traffic and the autostick option, I think I will be alright! Like I said, if I miss it too much, there is always a next time!
BTW boltjaM3s, the Diet Coke/Diet Pepsi analogy was terrible! LOL Can't compare a $45K Ultimate Driving Machine to a $1 soda!
CaptainAudio, you rock!!
Thank you all!!
i think you purchased a great car. Good luck with it and be sure to post pics when it arrives. I'll be in Florida for a few weeks in September. If you feel like taking a run down to Boca Raton in the new ride let me know.

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project

Last edited by captainaudio; 07-17-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Well my friends, time for a change as the CA just told me that nothing can be done. Thanks for all the help! Sorry to disappoint all the manual lovers. With the Orlando traffic and the autostick option, I think I will be alright!
Thank you all!!
Well I was nervous about giving up Diet Coke and when the waiter came over to the table and he didn't have any Diet Pepsi but he had an RC Cola so I tasted that and decided that Diet Pepsi is the way to go. Thank you all for your advice, really came in handy!

BJ

Old 07-17-2012, 07:46 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
When I bought my 335d the only thing I had to compromise on was the no 6MT. While I love the car and don't regret my choice there are times when I really wish it was a manual. I use the paddle shifters much of the time but it's just not the same.

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video:
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 07-17-2012, 08:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to MonkeyCMonkeyDo
Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Quote:
That stuff is great with a Big Mac and fries.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:51 AM

Mein Auto: '02 M3 'Vert
Quote:
Interesting that you say that. Having an SMG that I drive pretty much only on the weekends , and a 5MT that I drive daily, I find myself more often reaching for the paddles in the DD that aren't there than trying to depress a nonexistent clutch in the M3.

I gotta say that sporty driving with both hands on the wheel and precise gear changes with the flick of a finger is nice.

Quote:
The OP asked of there was anyone who had gone from an MT to an AT and regreted it later. I think that several people, myself included answered that question based on our own experience. I think that a number of posters explained that it was a matter of personal preference.

A test drive will only tell you so much, you really need to live with the car for a while and drive it in the environment that it will be used in but unfortunately that is not always possible.
In the past 25 years, my car ownership experience has pretty much gone like this: When I own an MT and after driving it for years, I start to pine for the convenience and comfort of an AT. When I own an AT and after driving it for a year or two, I start to pine for the hands-on experience of an MT.

Ultimately, I need one of each. An MT sports car to drive occasionally, and a comfortable AT for daily use. (Odd that my current cars are just the opposite!) But the nice thing is today's SMG, DSG, Whatever you want to call the automated manuals and even the latest crop of automatics such as the ZF-8 are truly nice transmissions; a mix of the best of both worlds.

Quote:
That stuff is great with a Big Mac and fries.
No, no... you're doing it wrong. When ordering a Big Mac and Large Fries, you NEED the Diet Coke, which counteracts all the fat, carbs and calories of the meal!

2002 M3 Convertible
2005 VW Passat 1.8T Wagon
Old 07-18-2012, 09:22 AM
Officially Weird

Mein Auto: Clownshoe,Miata,WeeStrom
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBS3SSION View Post
Interesting that you say that. Having an SMG that I drive pretty much only on the weekends , and a 5MT that I drive daily, I find myself more often reaching for the paddles in the DD that aren't there than trying to depress a nonexistent clutch in the M3.

I gotta say that sporty driving with both hands on the wheel and precise gear changes with the flick of a finger is nice.
I haven't spent more than a handful of minutes behind the wheel of SMG-equipped cars, but my fear was always that, if the auto mode was any good, I'd just put it in auto and not use the paddles much. Same for slushboxes I've driven with paddles, you play with them for a few minutes, then let the computer do the shifting.

I always figured what DSG/SMG cars need is to FORCE you to use the paddles. The problem comes in where 90% of the time the computer is 'good enough', so then when the 10% comes in, you have to think "oh, crap, I need a different gear!", toggle the paddles, and there you are.. albeit after a slight delay for thinking + acting.

Whereas, with the MT, you're already in the gear you wanted before you think about it.

What do you think?
Old 07-18-2012, 09:25 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by reidconti View Post
I wouldn't dream of suggesting you made a mistake by ordering the AT if you will sometimes/frequently experience physical discomfort driving an MT. Seems silly.
Ironic as my leg was giving me fits this week - two days sitting in meetings and 5 hours on a plane lead to that. Certainly has me wondering if I screwed up going back to manual. Oh well...
Old 07-18-2012, 09:31 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Quote:
I haven't spent more than a handful of minutes behind the wheel of SMG-equipped cars, but my fear was always that, if the auto mode was any good, I'd just put it in auto and not use the paddles much. Same for slushboxes I've driven with paddles, you play with them for a few minutes, then let the computer do the shifting.

I always figured what DSG/SMG cars need is to FORCE you to use the paddles. The problem comes in where 90% of the time the computer is 'good enough', so then when the 10% comes in, you have to think "oh, crap, I need a different gear!", toggle the paddles, and there you are.. albeit after a slight delay for thinking + acting.

Whereas, with the MT, you're already in the gear you wanted before you think about it.

What do you think?
Why on earth would a DSG/SMG want to do that? The entire point of these transmissions is very sporty performance without having to manually control shifting and be aware of what gear you are in.

If you want more control then you shift it manually, otherwise the computer shifts. Best of both worlds.

I was caught in the super nasty SB I25 logjam yesterday afternoon caused by a couple of morons http://kdvr.com/2012/07/17/truck-cra...thornton-pkwy/

45 minutes to travel 3 miles. Getting off of the highway wasn't even a viable option because it caused all of the south arteries and ramps to get jammed up too.

I must have shifted over 100 times (no joke) in that amount of time. My leg was tired and I was really hating my MT6 and wishing I had that F30 with the AT8.

When traffic freed up I still could have switched it into sport mode and blasted up to 80 mph and enjoy the freedom of getting-the-hell-free of that mess.

Last edited by voip-ninja; 07-18-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:53 PM

Mein Auto: '02 M3 'Vert
Quote:

What do you think?
Well, the SMG in my M3 is old tech by today's standards. Many people complained that the auto-mode was too herky-jerky. When you start the car and put it "in gear", it is in manual mode by default. Smash the gas and you'll be bouncing off the rev limiter unless you tell it to shift. If you want auto-mode, you need to perform an extra motion. I don't know what mode the newer dual-clutch/automated-manual and sport ATs default to when you start them.

I think I've used auto-mode less than a handful of times in owning the car for 4 years. Like voip said, the beauty of these new transmissions is you can opt for full control (sans clutch) when you want to get your sport on, or slap it in auto mode when you get stuck in a log jam or just want to chill out and cruise around.

2002 M3 Convertible
2005 VW Passat 1.8T Wagon