Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F30
BMW admits ASS destroys your F30

I'm headed for Munich tomorrow to ED my MY12 ZSL 335i.

I stopped by a local dealer today while running errands to see if they had any F series key fobs (they didn't).

They only had one launch MY12 left -- an Alpine White ZML 328i.

I am excited, of course, about getting my car before the end of the week, so I sat for a moment in their car...to take in the ambiance. :-)

Hmmm....looks like the printed owner's manual is in the glove box. Let's take a look. Wow! There's a Quick Reference booklet! Cool, I'll be able to read that the first night in the hotel instead of digesting the whole Owner's Manual...strange that this document isn't on bmwusa.com in the "My Car" section of Owner's Manuals. Let's check out the index at the back to see what's in it. No index, but there's a an "Appendix" saying that any updates to the Owner's Manual can be found in this appendix.

Odd, there's an update about "Fuel consumption," reading, in part, "Certain vehicle components may experience additional wear as a result of this system."

Man, did they bury that! A hugely important disclosure concealed in an appendix of a shortened reference, designed to be used maybe once or twice. It's as if they didn't want anyone to see it -- but they covered themselves by printing the disclaimer somewhere. It's like all those footnotes about the wheels made of butter you see in the brochures; the have to disclose that BMW wheels and tires are pothole bait because if they don't, they'll get sued. (In Mass., everything BUT cars come with an implied warranty of merchantability. IOW, products have to be useful for their intended purpose. I wish this applied to BMW wheels and tires.)

You even have to know what "system" they are talking about because they don't even bother to name ASS in this "update." (Take a look for yourself; I took cellphone photos of the front and back covers and the appendix page of the guide.)

If ever there was a reason to code your F30 to remember the last position of ASS (I couldn't resist) or turn it off every time you start the car, this cryptic reference tucked away in an appendix of an obscure document is it. This is, I fear, deliberately designed to mislead consumers.

Shame on you, BMW.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ASS-kills-your-F30.pdf (77.3 KB, 553 views)
Redelivered: 2012-09-12

Last edited by Yobyot; 07-16-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Advertisement
Old 07-16-2012, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: NOTHING YET
Can it be disabled?
Old 07-16-2012, 02:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 F30 335i Sedan
Auto start stop has been used in other brands for years now with no major known problems. I use it and i'm generally happy with it, but then again I will only have this car for 3 years
Old 07-16-2012, 03:03 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
So who exactly is this ass that destroyed my BMW.
I always figured it was the ass who decided to equip it with RFTs.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 07-16-2012, 03:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post

Odd, there's an update about "Fuel consumption," reading, in part, "Certain vehicle components may experience additional wear as a result of this system."

Shame on you, BMW.
You mean that ASS button? If you try to switch it off every time you start the car, I can see how that button can have additional wear.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:32 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
There's no question that it would cause additional wear on the starter, plugs, wires and maybe a few other components. Will it matter? Likely not. It's probably the difference between the starter failing at the 200K mile mark and the 150K mile mark... which for those of us who don't keep our cars for 15+ years just doesn't matter.

1. I never buy the first model year of a new car, I would rather have them sort the bugs out first.
2. If going with a brand that I don't know well, a new model, etc, I will often lease.

I leased. We'll see how this car does over 3 years. If it is a rock star then maybe I will buy one and drive for 7+ years in 2015. At that point I would assume there will be even more reliability data.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328d MSport
Haven't hybrids like the Prius been using Auto Start-Stop technology since it was introduced in the late 1990's? I'm definitely not claiming to be any sort of expert on the Prius by any means but if premature engine component wear-failure on hybrid vehicles doesn't seem to be discussed very often (especially compared to topics such as battery replacement) then you would think BMW's implementation of an A.S.S. system would not seriously impact anything prematurely. I for one am fine with the system on my car in most situations (and can turn it off in the other scenarios where I want to).

2014 328d M-Sport ED: 5/2/2014
2013 F30 Activehybrid3 MSport (Gone)
2012 F30 328i Sportline (Gone)
Old 07-17-2012, 07:13 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by arktctr View Post
Haven't hybrids like the Prius been using Auto Start-Stop technology since it was introduced in the late 1990's? I'm definitely not claiming to be any sort of expert on the Prius by any means but if premature engine component wear-failure on hybrid vehicles doesn't seem to be discussed very often (especially compared to topics such as battery replacement) then you would think BMW's implementation of an A.S.S. system would not seriously impact anything prematurely. I for one am fine with the system on my car in most situations (and can turn it off in the other scenarios where I want to).
Hybrids use a totally different system to restart the car. The large electric drive motor is used to start the gas/diesel motor, not a ring and pinion arrangement.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:08 AM
Driving for fun again. .

Mein Auto: 2013 335i SportLine
As long as we still have the option to disable ASS it doesn't bother me too much.