Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:55 AM

Mein Auto: Chevy Tahoe
Pulled the trigger, thank you all.

Well I finally secured my position into further financial debt the American way today . Just purchased my first bimmer ever. After a couple months and trying to find exactly what we wanted...we did. Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for your advice and candor in helping me through my purchasing decision as it was not an easy one.

The wife wanted me to buy buy buy of course, but we could not find the right 2011 with the packages and colors we wanted and being patient did pay off finally, found 1 in the entire US with exactly what we wanted!

I am buying site unseen except for pictures but I do have a login to manheim and saw exactly what the dealer purchased it for and exactly everything uncovered during the inspection. We also researched the dealer quite a bit and found 100% positive feedback. I feel I got a pretty good deal on it, not great maybe? but good. Wanted to see if I am actually correct. What do you guys think about it? The link is below with pics and bio. Got for 45.5 and that is with them repairing all the cosmetic defects (mainly just scratches on rims and a few on the body) and a set of brand new tires.

I know they are running special on new '12 deisels in dfw that are as low as 53ish but not with options and package as this one. Hoping I did good! Very excited at least. Absolutely love the Oyster interior! Hope my heathen children won't destroy it!!!

http://www.autosofpalmbeach.com/web/...orida/1133544/
Advertisement
Old 07-17-2012, 11:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5xDrive35i
Congrats. Did the 'standard' seats have thigh support in 2011?
Old 07-17-2012, 11:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E84
Congrats! Looks just like mine.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonttx View Post
Absolutely love the Oyster interior! Hope my heathen children won't destroy it!!!

Congrats!

Mine, too, has the oyster, and I have a 7yr old boy and 5yr old girl riding in the back.
I highly recommend putting clear plastick on those seats. The car seats will scratch that oyster leather like you won't believe. Not to mention french frys, coca-cola, juice.

I had clear plastic on the seats since day 1 and they are in better shape than front seats we ride on. And accidents/spils did happen back there - the plastic took it all. Whenever I clean back there, I take the plastic covers out and see so many scratches - glad they aren't on the seats.

Also recommend buying back seat protectors - material that gets hooked to headrests of front seats. It gets dirty very quick - all that dirt would otherwise be on the back of front seats.

Expect the front seats to start getting dyed in blue from jeans. Nothing you can do about it.

Last edited by serge1; 07-17-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge1 View Post
Congrats!

Mine, too, has the oyster, and I have a 7yr old boy and 5yr old girl riding in the back.
I highly recommend putting clear plastick on those seats. The car seats will scratch that oyster leather like you won't believe. Not to mention french frys, coca-cola, juice.

I had clear plastic on the seats since day 1 and they are in better shape than front seats we ride on. And accidents/spils did happen back there - the plastic took it all. Whenever I clean back there, I take the plastic covers out and see so many scratches - glad they aren't on the seats.

Also recommend buying back seat protectors - material that gets hooked to headrests of front seats. It gets dirty very quick - all that dirt would otherwise be on the back of front seats.

Expect the front seats to start getting dyed in blue from jeans. Nothing you can do about it.
Ah good input,

Did you buy that stuff anywhere special? Online or local retail?
Old 07-17-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f4iamad View Post
Congrats. Did the 'standard' seats have thigh support in 2011?
No, this one has upgraded sport seats. So they sort of hug you when you get in. Standard seats typically have multidirectional contour settings though for back and legs.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 35D
Quote:
Ah good input,

Did you buy that stuff anywhere special? Online or local retail?
Nothing special. You basically go to one of those craft stores and get clear plastic table cover (of any thickness - dont go too thin or too thick).
I got a 6ft x 6ft piece for 15$ or so.
Get a pair of scissors, scotch tape, and get to work. Took me a couple hours, but when done, you can barely see there's plastic on the seats, since the seats are such light color.
The plastic would be more visible on black seats I think.

Wrap the seats indivisually, with holes for seat belts, etc.
On the upper portion, cut holes in the plastic, so the headrests can hold the plastic on top (you would remove the headrest every time you want to remove the plastic covers).

At first, my kids had full blown car seats with backrests, so the vehicle's seats were covered completely on leather portions.
After the kids moved to booster seats, I cut the upper portion of the plastic off, obviously, so they dont have to touch plastic with their backs.

Last edited by serge1; 07-17-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:10 PM

Mein Auto: E46 M3
Great looking X5. Love the oyster and like the contrast with the dark/darker colors.

Price seems fair. I think that I mentioned in one of your previous threads that we bought a 9 month old 2011 in late January. Similar to you, we looked for quite a while and found the vehicle (color and options) at a condition and price hat made sense to us....
Old 07-17-2012, 10:02 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Are you not even going to get it and drive home?

What if the car was in an accident and they didnt disclose it or didnt know..or there are other issues? Car poorly repaired, or repainted? No PPI, no nothing, just jump???

GL
Old 07-18-2012, 05:19 PM

Mein Auto: '11 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post

What if the car was in an accident and they didnt disclose it or didnt know..or there are other issues? Car poorly repaired, or repainted? No PPI, no nothing, just jump???

GL
Ah, here he goes again with the negativity. Man, don't you have any positive things to say? A good start would be 'congrats, nice car, enjoy' something like that.

By the way, car looks really good and that is a pretty good deal. Enjoy!
Old 07-18-2012, 09:08 PM

Mein Auto: 328 Mspo, 958 Piggy, etc.
Quote:
Well I finally secured my position into further financial debt the American way today . Just purchased my first bimmer ever. After a couple months and trying to find exactly what we wanted...we did. Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for your advice and candor in helping me through my purchasing decision as it was not an easy one.

The wife wanted me to buy buy buy of course, but we could not find the right 2011 with the packages and colors we wanted and being patient did pay off finally, found 1 in the entire US with exactly what we wanted!

I am buying site unseen except for pictures but I do have a login to manheim and saw exactly what the dealer purchased it for and exactly everything uncovered during the inspection. We also researched the dealer quite a bit and found 100% positive feedback. I feel I got a pretty good deal on it, not great maybe? but good. Wanted to see if I am actually correct. What do you guys think about it? The link is below with pics and bio. Got for 45.5 and that is with them repairing all the cosmetic defects (mainly just scratches on rims and a few on the body) and a set of brand new tires.

I know they are running special on new '12 deisels in dfw that are as low as 53ish but not with options and package as this one. Hoping I did good! Very excited at least. Absolutely love the Oyster interior! Hope my heathen children won't destroy it!!!

Congrats on a beautiful with a nice interior. I could not agree more with getting backseat cover of some sort to protect the leather seating from being destroyed by little children and carseats.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post

GL
Fair question, but like I said I have a login to manheim auctions (Where the car was purchased). At manheim each car has a full 3rd party inspection done. I was able to see all the results of that inspection and everything wrong with the car down to every blemish and scratch on it. I sent that full report to the dealer who bought the car and they fixed all the scratches and put a new set of tires on it. This is on top of the car fax report which showed no accidents on it as well. I felt pretty safe that I had done all of the research possible on the car and physcially being in front of it was not that important to me. On top of all of that they sent me 60+ high def pictures inside and out and test drove it to ensure no odd driving or any rattling into it. All that information is more than most people have just walking down their street to a local buyer. I guess anything is possible and I could get it here and it's a lemon, but there is also laws to protect consumers from that as well.

Thank you all for the congrats!