Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:56 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
ContiSport 5 SSR RF for '12 335i

Just some info on the run-flats that my '12 335i showed-up with - When I test drove a 335i in February, it had Goodyear run-flats. I at least asked if it could be ordered with the Pirelli option and the answer seemed to be "no". So imagine my surprise when my car arrived in June with 225/45-18 Continental ContiSport Contact 5 SSR run-flats. It seems that these particular tires are near the top of the third generation of run-flats, but interestingly they were not listed even on the Continental website as existing in the 225/45-18 size that comes with a '12 335i Sportline car. I called the Tire Rack, seeing as I'm now curious about the availability of these tires should I end-up with a flat. The Tire Rack told me that these tires don't exist in the size I stated, and I offered to send them an iPhone picture. They simply figure that seeing as Continental doesn't even have a part/order number for the tire in this size yet, it will "be a while" before they are readily available. I then called my favorite LA performance tire shop, and they said the same thing; "just don't have a flat yet". Then I called the BMW dealer/parts dept that I got the car from, and they said "we don't actually stock that tire, but it says here we can order it and have it the same day if you call early enough; next morning for sure". And just to pass on the price I was quoted by the dealer for one ContiSport Contact 5 SSR, in case anyone was doubting the wisdom of a tire/wheel replacement policy: over $700 for one tire. That's close to double what the Tire Rack and/or LA shop is likely to charge, but there are BMW dealers up and down California. These tires are night & day better than the Bridgestones that were on the leased '09 135i, and the tire insurance more than paid for itself on that car too. Just passing it on -
Ads by Google
Old 07-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E46 330i
Interesting. I have the same on my April build 335i Sport.

I thought the Bridgestone's were the best but may be wrong.

I checked tirerack and the pricing for 225/45-18 OEM models are:
$320 - Bridgestone Potenza S001 RFT (Max Performance Summer)
$299 - Pirelli Cinturato P7 Run Flat (W- or Y-Speed Rated) (Ultra High Performance Summer)
$254 - Goodyear Efficient Grip RunOnFlat (Grand Touring Summer)

'02 E46 330i 5MT (ED Sept '02) - SOLD
'12 F30 335i Sport 6MT (ED May '12)
Old 07-17-2012, 03:32 PM

Remember when all the car magazines did serious tire tests? It's too bad they don't take sufficient pity on us BMW run-flat owners and do a serious test of the latest ones we get to choose from. It was the experience of having those Bridgestones crashing over even an LA manhole cover (never mind an LA pothole), where I thought the top of the front dampers would be sticking out a hole in my hood that made me happy to have these Continentals. Always interesting, the car thing. Cheers
Old 07-17-2012, 03:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelvio View Post
And just to pass on the price I was quoted by the dealer for one ContiSport Contact 5 SSR, in case anyone was doubting the wisdom of a tire/wheel replacement policy: over $700 for one tire.
Do you have to buy the tire/wheel replacement policy, at the time you pay for the car?

Can you buy the tire/wheel replacement policy from a dealer other than where you bought the car? In other words, is there any value to "shopping around"?
Old 07-17-2012, 04:14 PM

I was told that if I didn't buy/pay for the tire-wheel policy before driving the car off the lot, the insurance company makes you wait 30 days after buying it at a later date before they'll honor a claim; they don't want you to not buy it, then have a flat on the way home from the dealer, then call and get it and be able to file a claim for the flat you had without insurance. I had no real problems with the last policy so I went with the dealer's company again. They don't fare all that well reputation-wise online, but it was all very straightforward last time except for a problem with a BMW dealer that I went to to honor the warranty and give me a new tire after having a flat near them. Because I didn't buy the car from them, they wanted me to pay for the tire and get reimbursed by the warranty company. I called the salesman where I got the car and he said "they're full of it; that's not how it's supposed to work. They are the ones that get reimbursed, not you". I didn't shop around - I figure I'll be needing to get tires from dealers out-of-town probably rather than have the time to order one myself from Tire Rack or the tire shop I used to go to, and the policy prices are pretty much they same. I bought the car, and got the policy for five years. Cheers
Old 07-17-2012, 05:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328d MSport
What I'm curious about is whether you have to return a leased vehicle with the exact same model of tire or wether you could simply install the least expensive of the three RFT factory options that come with the 18" F30?

2014 328d M-Sport ED: 5/2/2014
2013 F30 Activehybrid3 MSport (Gone)
2012 F30 328i Sportline (Gone)
Old 07-17-2012, 05:32 PM
Fight On!

Mein Auto: BMW M3, Z4 M Coupe
I still don't buy into the RFT or value of the tire insurance.

If I were in your shoes and had a flat, I'll just replace all 4 with non-RFT Michelin PS2's or PSS's for around $1k installed instead of paying the dealer $700 to replace one.

It reminds me of the F10 RFT situation where the OEM tires were on back-order for months. When there is a shortage, insurance won't help you much.

Quote:
Just some info on the run-flats that my '12 335i showed-up with - When I test drove a 335i in February, it had Goodyear run-flats. I at least asked if it could be ordered with the Pirelli option and the answer seemed to be "no". So imagine my surprise when my car arrived in June with 225/45-18 Continental ContiSport Contact 5 SSR run-flats. It seems that these particular tires are near the top of the third generation of run-flats, but interestingly they were not listed even on the Continental website as existing in the 225/45-18 size that comes with a '12 335i Sportline car. I called the Tire Rack, seeing as I'm now curious about the availability of these tires should I end-up with a flat. The Tire Rack told me that these tires don't exist in the size I stated, and I offered to send them an iPhone picture. They simply figure that seeing as Continental doesn't even have a part/order number for the tire in this size yet, it will "be a while" before they are readily available. I then called my favorite LA performance tire shop, and they said the same thing; "just don't have a flat yet". Then I called the BMW dealer/parts dept that I got the car from, and they said "we don't actually stock that tire, but it says here we can order it and have it the same day if you call early enough; next morning for sure". And just to pass on the price I was quoted by the dealer for one ContiSport Contact 5 SSR, in case anyone was doubting the wisdom of a tire/wheel replacement policy: over $700 for one tire. That's close to double what the Tire Rack and/or LA shop is likely to charge, but there are BMW dealers up and down California. These tires are night & day better than the Bridgestones that were on the leased '09 135i, and the tire insurance more than paid for itself on that car too. Just passing it on -

BMW CCA Member #xx4477
2006 Z4 M Coupe (e86) 6MT
2013 M3 Coupe (e92) 6MT
Old 07-17-2012, 05:35 PM
Fight On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arktctr View Post
What I'm curious about is whether you have to return a leased vehicle with the exact same model of tire or wether you could simply install the least expensive of the three RFT factory options that come with the 18" F30?
It doesn't have to be the exact same model, as long as it is of the same spec (i.e. RFT with same speed rating). I believe it also has to have the minimum tread depth of 4/32 at the lowest point.

BMW CCA Member #xx4477
2013 M3 Coupe (e92) 6MT
Old 07-17-2012, 06:59 PM

I too was told that the car at the end of a lease just has to have any one of the "approved" OEM tires on it, with the acceptable tread depth. Figures that the cheapest of the OEMs would be fine. Tire Rack seems to have the info on the "approved" tires, and I assume that by then they'll also know about the Continentals.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i M Sport
Quote:
I was told that if I didn't buy/pay for the tire-wheel policy before driving the car off the lot, the insurance company makes you wait 30 days after buying it at a later date before they'll honor a claim; they don't want you to not buy it, then have a flat on the way home from the dealer, then call and get it and be able to file a claim for the flat you had without insurance. I had no real problems with the last policy so I went with the dealer's company again. They don't fare all that well reputation-wise online, but it was all very straightforward last time except for a problem with a BMW dealer that I went to to honor the warranty and give me a new tire after having a flat near them. Because I didn't buy the car from them, they wanted me to pay for the tire and get reimbursed by the warranty company. I called the salesman where I got the car and he said "they're full of it; that's not how it's supposed to work. They are the ones that get reimbursed, not you". I didn't shop around - I figure I'll be needing to get tires from dealers out-of-town probably rather than have the time to order one myself from Tire Rack or the tire shop I used to go to, and the policy prices are pretty much they same. I bought the car, and got the policy for five years. Cheers
Good info. Thanks.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
Good thing to know OP but the first week i have the car, i will be changing the tires to a non RFT. Will store the original RFTs wherever they are and put them on when i turn the car back in. I just think there are much better non-RFT out there for all around performance. if you are leasing you will need to get a set of tires anyway if not two sets. I did this with my last two BMWs worked great.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2011 X5 35d Great SUV gone

2009 C350 Mercedes Gone 7-31-2012, good car but boooooooooring.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:23 AM

So you'll mount the non-RFs on the stock 335 wheels and carry a Conti Tire kit or something like it? Have you ever had to use the tire kit to get a true flat tire to a shop and does the gunk from the kit ruin the BMW TPM sensors in the wheel that you used the can of gunk on? Cheers
Old 07-18-2012, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
Quote:
So you'll mount the non-RFs on the stock 335 wheels and carry a Conti Tire kit or something like it? Have you ever had to use the tire kit to get a true flat tire to a shop and does the gunk from the kit ruin the BMW TPM sensors in the wheel that you used the can of gunk on? Cheers
that is what I have a Conti tire kit but never used it. I have had two flats because of nails and both times all I did was to put air in them, the leak was slow so i was able to get to a garage. If not BMW assist, plus I have AAA. Worse comes to worse use the Kit. I have read where it ruins the wheel sensors. Bottom line is this, you drive on the RFs most likely they are ruined anyway after you do so its going to cost you.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2011 X5 35d Great SUV gone

2009 C350 Mercedes Gone 7-31-2012, good car but boooooooooring.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.

Last edited by windsor027; 07-18-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
... Have you ever had to use the tire kit to get a true flat tire to a shop and does the gunk from the kit ruin the BMW TPM sensors in the wheel that you used the can of gunk on? Cheers
Slime has a version of tire sealant that is supposed to TPMS safe and wash out with water.
I bought some for my drive back from PCD just in case as it wiuld have been a pain to deal with a puncture on a weekend x-country trip even with RFTs.
http://www.amazon.com/Slime-10011-Tu.../dp/B000C11PYW

Old 07-18-2012, 11:48 AM
Fight On!

Quote:
The M-Mobility Kit that comes with every M vehicle is similar (air pump + sealant), and I've used it without any side effect on the TPM sensors. The tire shops don't like it because they have to clean it off before installing a new tire, but it's a small price to pay.

BMW CCA Member #xx4477
2013 M3 Coupe (e92) 6MT
Old 07-31-2013, 11:13 PM

Mein Auto: '13 320i, occ. use of X3
Any more recent opinions on this Continental tire?

Last edited by Dave 20T; 07-31-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:30 AM

Dave - just responded to your PM and including here...

My SSRs have been OK, but I do not have any experience with any other RFTs. My previous car was a 2002 E46 and last tires I had on that were Continental ExtremeContact DWS. The RFTs are noticeably louder & harder than those as well as the non-RFTs on my wife's Audi Q5.

I ran on the SSRs about 13K miles and just swapped them for Continental ExtremeContact DW tires. These are much quieter and feel gripper that the RFTs. I am planning to keep the RFTs in the garage until lease turn in.

I have always kept a compressor and some tire goo (Slime brand, supposed to be safe for TPMS sensors). The one additional thing I think I need is a jack so that, in case of a flat, I can raise the car and rotate the wheel to distribute the slime.