Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: ALFA Spider, Ford
What should I expect now?

Today was one of the absolutely best days that my wife & I have enjoyed in a long time. Our first purchase of a brand new BMW. We picked it up at the Spartanburg PCD; an X5 35D. Our first brand new car in 34 years. We have waited with anticipation. Drove up frm Atlanta on Wednesday, had a great dinner and breakfast at the hotel and then went to the Performance Center. WOW

The wet track dynamic traction control experience was fantastic. My bride went first and video taped her from the back back seat. It was precious, the first time she has spun out it a car. Then she had to do it again and then again with the traction contorl on. Next the high speed cone slalom course and then the braking experience. On to the off road terrain wher we tip the X5 up on three then teeter totter it on two whells, drive up and down really really steep rocky hilss with switch backs ant then through 20" of water like fording a stream. Amazing xperience and now we own one ......cool.
I take a taxi ride around the track with a professional driver in a 550HP M5 (V10 NA); drifted around most of the course with pucker factor of 12 and the fun meter pegged. Damn, this is a great day. Two hour briefing on the idrive and vehicle operation then off to the plant for a tour. The folks at the PCD were great. They could not have been nicer or more friendly; just an all around great day.

Finished the tour now we get to drive our new X5 back to Atlanta. It's mainly my brides car so she drives it and follows me while I drive the Tarus.

We live 140 miles form Spartanburg. We have friends who live about half way and they want to see the new Bimmer so we plan a stop. Jeannine follows me off the freeway and frantically flags me. We stop at a gas station. The yellow caution transmission notification displays on the idrive and says drive moderately and take car to dealer. She said the car stuttered on the decelleration like it was missing a downshift. We turn the car off thinking the code might clear. It did when we restarted so hey it was an anomaly.
We decide to drive carefully, me now, to see our friends. Get there, park the car in their drive, visit briefly then we are on our way.

Get in the car and put it in reverse but the transmission will not engage, the engine just revs. 30 seconds later the same yellow light pops up on the idrive and dilay again. The car will not go. I can't go forward, no room and it will not engage in reverse. It shows that it is in gear, all doors closed and the parking brake is off.

At this point the car has 71 miles on it and has stranded us 70 miles from home. I called BMW assist and they will pick it up tomorrow and take it to the dealer in Gwinnette where we bought it.

Our question now is what are our options and what should we expect of the dealer? My wife has lost confidence in the vehicle. I work out of town 5 days a week and need her to have a dependable vehicle. Please note we are ok with being inconvienced with issues that the dealer has to sort out. We are not ok with being stranded, ever, especially with a brand new vehicle.

Any advice would be appreciated. We really want to love this vehicle.
Thanks.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
Let the dealer have a chance to fix it. No manufacturer in the world has 100% quality, if they did no one could afford to buy their products.

I know its frustrating but hopefully its a very small blip in an otherwise long and enjoyable ownership experience.

My Escalade stranded my family and I 3 times before I kicked it to the curb so I feel your pain

Jay
Old 07-12-2012, 09:41 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Sorry to hear. This is a major anomaly- you've been around long enough to know posts like this you can could on one hand out of thousands.

You were stranded- don't get over think that.

Make sure you dealer gives you a nice loaner, not a POS 3 series. Lean on them hard from the get go. Stress new car, could not even get home, etc. Stress you are going to let them figure it out- stuiff happens- BUT they CAN control how you are treated now, and that you will demand be done at a very high level.

Report back. Tell them you want EVERY SINGLE CODE, TEST PLAN and RESULT printed in the work order ....OR you will not sign the receipt when they fix it. Every code.

What you dont want is for them to test it, find nothing, clear codes and you get stranded again.

A
Old 07-13-2012, 12:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 35D
Ouch....really sorry to hear that. I'm hopeful they will sort it out for you quickly. I remember when my wife bought her first new car (a Honda), and the transmission had faulty seals --- ended up back at the dealer for a week with only 50 miles on it. She also lost confidence for a while, but that car ended up being rock solid, and she quickly forgot about those early problems.

Your PDC experience sounds amazing by the way.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
Wow, that really sucks, way to put a damper on otherwise great experience, if the vehicle is leased or financed thru BMW, I would definitely put some pressure on them for at least one month payment for the stressful experience,
Old 07-13-2012, 12:49 PM

Positive Update

This is an update on our newly coined BMW Adventure.

The BMW assist picked up the X5 today. They put the key in it, started it and then proceeded to back it up and then drive it onto the trailer. Go figure!
So we have an intermittent issue.

Stopped at the dealer after the car arrived and sat down for a discussion of what now.
The Gwinnette Dealership was very understanding and promised to get to the bottom of the issue. They have only had one other similar occurrence in the last 20 years so this was a puzzle to them as well. Again, they were very understanding. We talked to the service manager, the sales manager, the service tech and our sales agent, they promised to make it right.

We explained that this is the beginning of the story about our new BMW and they have the ability to write the next chapter. They are a Center of Excellence Dealership and we believe they will make it right.

The loaner is nice; 2012 XD 5.0 , 15 miles, similarly equipped but no AD or HUD. I like the throaty roar of the V8 but the diesel has more torque based upon my butt dynometer. Since we have the AD this will give us a chance to compare the two.

We are choosing the high road but will stay on top of the details with the issues. We hope that the code identifies a clear issue that can be found and addressed. The GA lemon law allows them one chance to repair serious defects. If it repeats the issue after we get it back, we will of course talk about the options.

We are impressed with the service.

I do feel like one of the characters in "City Slickers". When asked about his worst day, he gave a long explanation about how his father abused his mom and he finally challenged him and his father left them. Billy Crystal said wow; what was your best day? and he said "Same Day".

That is how we felt last night. Everything always looks better in the morning.

Stay tuned..............and thanks for the feed back.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:54 AM

Mein Auto: German
Good luck on your purchase OP. Nothing is worse than a new car breaking down within a 100 miles of picking it up. It looks like the dealer is stepping up to the plate and trying to make it right.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35d
Sorry to hear about your new X5 problem. Here's hoping it is simple like a bad connector.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:52 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luscombe1940 View Post
They have only had one other similar occurrence in the last 20 years so this was a puzzle to them as well..
Just an editorial comment...

BMW dealers could have a pile of horsesh!t in the show room, brown stains on their lips, and flies buzzing around, and would declare- "What, us? Horses???Never seen one in 20 years"

There are stories after stories of know defects plaguing certain models, yet the party line is ALWAYS "nope, hardly ever see that".

So.

(And maybe it is how you define "it"... "breaking down on the way home, between 70-74 miles"...)

Not that yours is a common occurrence... just saying they are generally not forthcoming with facts and news about this stuff. Also sorry to hear it may be intermittent, but they WILL have codes for it. Now, if they run the required test plans and find no current errors, THEN you have a PITA on you hands. Hopefully the tech will birddog this and make sure it is found and fixed.

But lets think happy thoughts...

A
Old 07-14-2012, 08:05 PM

Feeling a Little Better

We think the dealer is trying to make things right.

I may have been born at night but it wasn't last night. I take the second time in 20 years stories with a grain of salt. The important item is how they handle this situation.

Time will tell. We are thinking positive thoughts and will report back.

Hopefully it will be an obvious issue once they look at the codes.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 E70 35d
been following this thread... any update?
Old 07-17-2012, 05:53 AM

The service manager we met with on Friday called me just before noon yesterday. I could not take the call at the time. His message said they were running diagnostics, nothing to report yet. He wanted to let me know he was going home sick and would be back on Wednesday.

I work out of town during the week so there is no way I will have my wife pick up the vehicle until I have seen the results of the diagnostics and agree with the work. Since this incident happened while it was raining we are thinking that they should try to simulate that especially if they are unable to determine the root cause of the malfunction. I trust this doesn't turn into a marathon event chasing down an intermittent electrical issue.

My wife is trying real hard to not get used to the 5.0 V8 M-Sport X5 loaner.

Stay tuned.................
Old 07-17-2012, 06:32 AM

Mein Auto: 13 X5 50i M-Performance
Just tell them to keep the Diesel until it stalls again, then fix it! Hope it takes a While.

Enjoy the V8!
Old 07-19-2012, 08:59 PM

Smile Update

Service manager called me today. Said the repairs are complete. They replaced the valve body and integral computer in the transmission. Said the error code showed a slippage in gears 2&3. That makes sense as I experienced that when i drove it. That was the same sympton my wife noted. Not sure why it would not go in reverse or why it worked fine the next day.

The dealer was a bit stumped and they reached out to the engineers in New Jersey who actually authorized the replacement. They are shipping the old valve body to the engineers so they can diagnose the unit.

Not sure if the rain had anything to do with the malfunction, service tech did not think so. I will pick it up Saturday and see if we can make all the way home this time.

Dealer has been good to us, I'm impressed.
My wife and I have come to realize the we typically experience weird circumstances like this quite frequently. We refer to them as "Character Building Training Exercises".

We will continue to update this thread with our experiences.
Thanks for all of the kind words and ideas.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:11 AM

Mein Auto: X6
Pick it up?

Don't you live some way from the dealer?

I would have them deliver it on a truck with a nice bottle of Veuve and a hamper!
Old 07-22-2012, 09:25 AM

It's Home Now

We picked it up yesterday and brought her home. I looked the work orders over closely and found that the technicians were able to replicate the failure. The transmission was slippin between gears 2-3 and 3-4. The slippage caused the fault code and also caused downshifting and slippage. This was documented by the service tech and was what my wife experienced.

The valve body was replaced. Everything seems to be working just fie now.

Regarding the drive comparison between the V8 5.0loaner and our 35D. Not a fair comparison. 400 hp and 450ft# torque to 265hp and 425ft# torque. The V8 wins, especially in the butt dynometer. However,the V8growl and torque come at a price, the gas mileage is about 1/2 of the 35D. If I wasn't concerned about the mieage, I would consider the V8 and understand why folks that have them really love them.

Adaptive Drive
The V8 did not have this option. After driving it for a week and then getting into ours with AD, my wife immediately noticed that there was no diving of the rhight front when turnning left, or vice versa. There was also no pitching of the nose when breaking. On an X5 with the high stance, illiminating the body roll with the AD option is huge. The two vehicles responded completley differently when turning or breaking. Really glad we chose the AD option.
The ride with the AD option is flat and does make the vehicle seem like it handles as a smaller lighter vehicle.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:12 AM

It is home now/

Finally home.