Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 M3
Newbie Questions: Considering new X5

Hi All,

I am new here and getting closer to ordering a new X5. I have done quite a bit of research, but have a few questions I was hoping those with more knowledge than me could help me out with. I am still trying to figure it all out. Feel free to refer to another thread if you think it already answers some of my questions. And please feel free to make suggestions or correct me if you think I am off base anywhere. Really appreciate any help you folks can provide.

Right now we are leaning toward a 35i Premium w/conv pkg. Was planning on PG but now kind of leaning toward AW.

1) Considering luxury seating package as well. How hard are the ventilated seats to keep clean compared to nevada leather. Is this a no-go with kids?

Lots of Wheel Questions:

2) I would like to get something other than the standard 19 inch star spoke 334 wheels. Is there anything wrong with or prohibiting me from getting the 19 inch 223M wheels, but doing it non-staggered and getting the 19 X 9 all around?

3) Is there anyway to order the X5 with this or would this have to be done after purchase and then try to sell the original wheels?

(I believe this tire would be 255/50 19) I think this is the standard wheel on the 50i, but with staggered wheels. (19x9, 255/50; 19x10, 285/45)

4) Considered 20s, but it seems very hard to get a decent all season tire for them. Looks like Continental DWS is my only decent option for non-run flat 275/40 and 315/35. Is this correct?

Sport Activity / M Sport package

5) I am also considering the sport activity with m sport package because my wife really likes the look of the painted wheel arches. Does anybody have any pictures of the shadowline trim and aluminum roof rails they could share?
Advertisement
Old 07-17-2012, 09:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
The ventilated seat question is the only one I can help with. I have black active/ventilated seats.

The cooling factor is minimal so try one out in the summer if possible before dropping the cash. I bought in winter

In regards to cleaning, I have a two year old son and a dog and don't have issues with keeping it clean. Also no worries about leather cleaner staying in the holes, seems to stay out for me.

Jay
Old 07-17-2012, 09:58 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
what a great first post... who can possibly respond with 'do a search' with such a reasoned intro?

I am not a fan of perforated leather. Anything spills, dirt, oil, etc, will get trapped in the pores. And you will never know WHAT is trapped in the pores, just adds to the interior aroma over time. I also believe it is less durable. The cooling really sucks based on feedback (confirmed above), so wht pay the $$. Comfort seats yes. Nappa leather is nice too.

You can ONLY order tires/wheels that BMW configures. Anything else is a retail swap. The 19" with 255/50-19 is a nice ride for me. You COULD keep a set for winter tires (but who wants to be changing wheels to head up to tahoe, right?)

Consider AD. You should try and drive one.

The painted trim really detracts from the look, IMO...it become a big, monochromatic mass. Visually the black trim reduces the visual mass and helps the design. But this is personal preference...some people think chicks on 6" heels whoc can barely walk look sexy, or cars riding on 24" rims with 25 profile tires...both useless.

Also the painted trim will get chipped and road rash- so you need to gget film applied to protect the trim. Hmmm

Welcome!

A
Old 07-17-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jashearer View Post

The cooling factor is minimal so try one out in the summer if possible before dropping the cash.

Jay
Thanks for the feedback. Looks like it may not be worth the money. I am still a little worried about stuff getting trapped in the pores, especially after what ard said below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
IAnything spills, dirt, oil, etc, will get trapped in the pores. And you will never know WHAT is trapped in the pores.

A
This is exactly what I was worried about. Couple this with cracker crumbs/dust, etc from our 3 yr old, and I am not sure it is worth it....although ajshearer doesn't seem to have any issues

Quote:
The 19" with 255/50-19 is a nice ride for me. You COULD keep a set for winter tires (but who wants to be changing wheels to head up to tahoe, right?)
A
Yeah, I really don't need 20s and really wide wheels in back. I would rather have a little nicer ride, more tire options, better winter performance, smaller chance of wheel damage, etc.

Quote:

Consider AD. You should try and drive one.

A
I watched that youtube explanation video on it that was posted. Seems really nice...its is just really hard to drop the money. I guess I also worry about maintenance costs vs. a more traditional system. Maybe I will have to try to find one to drive.

Quote:

The painted trim really detracts from the look, IMO...it become a big, monochromatic mass.

....or cars riding on 24" rims with 25 profile tires...both useless.

Also the painted trim will get chipped and road rash- so you need to gget film applied to protect the trim. Hmm

A
I go back and forth with the painted trim myself...especially on something like white. Seems like it may be too much. (but then I tell myself that it is supposed to better right?) I doubt we will get it.....even if we liked it in grey, I think it is just too much money for what you get.

hmmm...and I was just looking at some 24" wheels for my E46.

Thanks for taking the time to give all the comments and provide advice....really appreciate it.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:50 PM

If possible, could someone confirm that there would be no issues doing this as they normally come staggered:

2) I would like to get something other than the standard 19 inch star spoke 334 wheels. Is there anything wrong with or prohibiting me from getting the 19 inch 223M wheels, but doing it non-staggered and getting the 19 X 9 all around and running 255/50 19s.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:57 PM
Stargate Champion

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i M Sport
Ive had black perforated seats in two X5's that I have driven for nearly 6 years and never had an issue with stuff sticking in the holes. My first X5 survived 2 kids from ages 6-14. When I traded in the 2007, it looked like nearly new with the exception of the drivers seat which had slight wear.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:26 PM

Mein Auto: 09 Nissan Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnadrifter View Post
If possible, could someone confirm that there would be no issues doing this as they normally come staggered:

2) I would like to get something other than the standard 19 inch star spoke 334 wheels. Is there anything wrong with or prohibiting me from getting the 19 inch 223M wheels, but doing it non-staggered and getting the 19 X 9 all around and running 255/50 19s.

I don't think there isn't anything prohibiting you from doing so. You just need to order 2 sets of 'front' 223M wheels and swap then unload the 334s. I like the 223M as well, but I didn't see a lot of good all-season tire options for the wider rears.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:34 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
How much you gonna spend on seats? but not AD???

let me know if you'll be near Sacramento, ive got AD.

A
Old 07-19-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5FX View Post
Ive had black perforated seats in two X5's that I have driven for nearly 6 years and never had an issue with stuff sticking in the holes. My first X5 survived 2 kids from ages 6-14. When I traded in the 2007, it looked like nearly new with the exception of the drivers seat which had slight wear.
Thanks for the feedback. I am starting to wonder though if I would rather put the money toward AD.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal View Post
I don't think there isn't anything prohibiting you from doing so. You just need to order 2 sets of 'front' 223M wheels and swap then unload the 334s. I like the 223M as well, but I didn't see a lot of good all-season tire options for the wider rears.
Thanks. Exactly what I was finding....very hard to get all season tires for that larger back wheel. Funny though, you can actually find the larger back wheel pretty easily in the 20s. (315/35)

Quote:
How much you gonna spend on seats? but not AD???

let me know if you'll be near Sacramento, ive got AD.

A
Yeah....I was starting to think the same thing. Maybe should invest the seat money in AD. I think I am going to try to find something over here in the bay to test drive.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:20 AM

Mein Auto: 09 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnadrifter View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I am starting to wonder though if I would rather put the money toward AD.
Definitely worth putting the money toward AD. AD and the 20's w/ runflats rides better then my 135i without runflats. I'm going the Conti DWS route once September hits, may as well have some fun with the summers while I can.

I had my flares clear bra'd along with the entire front end, mirrors and door edges. It wasn't too much, think $695 for everything from the dealer. Can't tell it's there unless you're right up next to it and looking specifically for it, but it should keep any rock chips to a minimum. Plus the dealer will redo it if the film gets scratched or anything. Personally I didn't like the contrast of the black trim against alpine white, but it's personal preference.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:29 PM

Mein Auto: jetta tdi
20's

I have after market 20' wheels staggered.. I am very happy with Vredstein tires. Not run flat.. I have 12000 miles and not showing much wear.. They are very quiet and handling is very good... I will buy them again.... Cost 990.00 set incl. shipping
Old 07-20-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryjash View Post
I have after market 20' wheels staggered.. I am very happy with Vredstein tires. Not run flat.. I have 12000 miles and not showing much wear.. They are very quiet and handling is very good... I will buy them again.... Cost 990.00 set incl. shipping
Nice looking tire. Do have all season or summer?....I didn't see the all season available in the larger tires.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:51 AM

Mein Auto: X5, 911
I personally think the non-M package 20's that come standard on the X5 35 Sport are one of the best looking wheels BMW makes. The ride is alittle more on the firm side, but the grip for handling is amazing. For the winter just buy different set of 18's or 19's with winter tires.
2008 X5--TiAg
2008 M3 vert- sadly traded for 911; very much missed
2007 E90 335i ED on 11/30/06: TiAg/ZSP/black-ette aluminum trim/heated seats -- retired
2007 X3 --platinum bronze/xenons/18's/heated seats --retired