Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:01 AM

Mein Auto: Soon to be a BMW
Love the new 328, not sure I would do it again...

I have had no problems with the car after two months, in fact it's been everything I hoped it would be, and rides so smooth. But, I (mainly my wife) cannot get used to this auto start/stop. Yes, yes push it when you get in the car and it's back to the normal experience. That seems easy but it's just not working out, and for the life of me have no idea who thought this was a good idea. So go ahead and rip away, but this extremely minor detail is too much to look past when it's time to buy/lease again.
Advertisement
Old 07-18-2012, 10:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
What exactly about it bothers you so much? I don't understand the issue.

My main complaint with it is I don't like how the engine kicks back in before I take my foot off the brake. Other than that, I really don't give it much thought.
2012 Alpine White F30 328i Leather Dakota Everest Grey/Sport Line/Premium/Premium Sound/Technology/STEPTRONIC/Rear View Camera/Heated Front Seats/Park Distance Control/Xenons/BMW Assist w/Enhanced USB/BMW Apps
Old 07-18-2012, 10:16 AM

The noise associated with it, would rather just have the same idle sound as i'm sitting at a red light.
What you said as well.
There isn't the same quickness off the line if you were to go from brake to gas as opposed to starter to gas.

Bottom line, it's just annoying as hell and totally takes away from all the good the car has. I'm not joking when I say, it's enough to make me want to give the car up.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:24 AM
Officially Weird

Mein Auto: Clownshoe,Miata,WeeStrom
There's gotta be a way for the dealer to disable it.
The problem I had with auto-start-stop was that, virtually every time I came to a stop, the engine would fire up before the light turned green. So you'd have this weird 30 second period where the AC kicked down a bit, and the car was quiet, then it shook and shuddered to life, straining at the torque converter, ... then eventually you got to go.

If it was on an M/T equipped car it wouldn't be so bad, because you wouldn't feel the shudder of the engine starting up as you do on the automatic.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:32 AM

Mein Auto: 09 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by reidconti View Post
There's gotta be a way for the dealer to disable it.
The problem I had with auto-start-stop was that, virtually every time I came to a stop, the engine would fire up before the light turned green. So you'd have this weird 30 second period where the AC kicked down a bit, and the car was quiet, then it shook and shuddered to life, straining at the torque converter, ... then eventually you got to go.

If it was on an M/T equipped car it wouldn't be so bad, because you wouldn't feel the shudder of the engine starting up as you do on the automatic.
You can code it off, if you're so inclined.

I don't mind it on the manual transmissions, because it only shuts off when you're in neutral with the clutch let out. As soon as you press the clutch in, it starts back up. In the auto it's just weird, definitely seems to lag when you want to take off from a light, you don't have that issue in the manual. DS mode keeps it from shutting off as well.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:35 AM

Who can code it off ?
Old 07-18-2012, 10:35 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
So find someone in your area who can re-code the computer, they can disable it if it is bothering you so much. BMW can't make this optional or it will affect some of their fuel economy numbers, otherwise they probably would offer the option to disable it in the i-drive.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLR305 View Post
I have had no problems with the car after two months, in fact it's been everything I hoped it would be, and rides so smooth. But, I (mainly my wife) cannot get used to this auto start/stop. Yes, yes push it when you get in the car and it's back to the normal experience. That seems easy but it's just not working out, and for the life of me have no idea who thought this was a good idea. So go ahead and rip away, but this extremely minor detail is too much to look past when it's time to buy/lease again.
I think you might find when it's time to buy/lease the next car they will all have ASS...
Old 07-18-2012, 10:41 AM

Yeah im sure reprogramming wouldn't effect my lease...
Old 07-18-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
The noise associated with it, would rather just have the same idle sound as i'm sitting at a red light.
What you said as well.
There isn't the same quickness off the line if you were to go from brake to gas as opposed to starter to gas.

Bottom line, it's just annoying as hell and totally takes away from all the good the car has. I'm not joking when I say, it's enough to make me want to give the car up.
For the life of me, I still don't see the problem here.

I heard someone else say they have mastered the 2 finger push button start. Car on, ASS off right after.

There are other cars you can buy if you need to get off the line like a Formula 1 driver. Why you would pick this one, I have no idea.
2012 Alpine White F30 328i Leather Dakota Everest Grey/Sport Line/Premium/Premium Sound/Technology/STEPTRONIC/Rear View Camera/Heated Front Seats/Park Distance Control/Xenons/BMW Assist w/Enhanced USB/BMW Apps
Old 07-18-2012, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Quote:
Yeah im sure reprogramming wouldn't effect my lease...
I don't think it will, and it's easy to reverse. I'm doing mine which is leased (not the ASS I quite like that!)
Old 07-18-2012, 10:50 AM

Shabadoo, I'm not racing it, just don't like it to start up everytime I want to pull off the line at a red light. It's for lack of better words, insane.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Shabadoo, I'm not racing it, just don't like it to start up everytime I want to pull off the line at a red light. It's for lack of better words, insane.
To each his own. It might have something to do with living in a "go, go, go" place like Miami or LA. The 1 second delay means nothing to me here in Mouseland.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:53 AM
I probably dislike you...

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Sport
I am still blown away by the hatred towards this feature. My god, just hit the button when you start the car! In the probably 3 hours combined in test drives and ride alongs I have done in F30s I never found it as obtrusive as many say. My favorite is "when it starts up, it felt like I was rear ended". Come on, if you have ever actually been rear ended, you would never say this!

But to each there own. Pressing that damn button is no different than changing the radio, adjusting the temperature, turning on heated seats/wheel, putting the car in drive. Just press the button!!!!!

/rant off
2002 325xi (Retired, very much missed)
Old 07-18-2012, 10:53 AM

It's just not normal to hear your car start up dozens of times during a single drive.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:56 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

So find someone to recode it and permanently disable it, and then just have it re-coded again at the end of your lease. Surely your level of aggravation is worth laying out a few hundred bucks to get this done.

There have been posts by tuners in Florida doing work on the F30, you can find some of those threads, PM those guys, and see if they, or someone they know can get this done for you.

I agree with other comments. This will become standard technology in most cars over the remainder of this decade.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
So just change the radio station one less time and use that button push effort for the start stop disable button.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:41 AM

Mein Auto: '13 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
This will become standard technology in most cars over the remainder of this decade.
+1
Old 07-18-2012, 12:35 PM
just copacetic!!!

Mein Auto: 2013 328i, 2003 325i
That 1-second delay might actually save your life from being T-boned by some fool running the red light. When I'm first at the line, I usually take a second to look left and right before proceeding anyways.
'89 325i Bronz, AT(retired)
'02 325i StlGrey, AT, PP, SP
'13 328i AlpWhite, AT8, Xenon, HK
Old 07-18-2012, 12:38 PM

Good point. Keeping it.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:24 PM

Mein Auto: 09 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDown View Post
That 1-second delay might actually save your life from being T-boned by some fool running the red light. When I'm first at the line, I usually take a second to look left and right before proceeding anyways.
You don't have to be the first person in line, when the person in front of you starts off, you take your foot off the brake and you're waiting for the the thing to be drivable. The manual transmission version of start/stop is so much better, which is why it probably only used to be available on manual vehicles. I can't imagine roundabouts with the start/stop, with a manual I'd just keep the clutch in for them.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
You don't have to be the first person in line, when the person in front of you starts off, you take your foot off the brake and you're waiting for the the thing to be drivable. The manual transmission version of start/stop is so much better, which is why it probably only used to be available on manual vehicles. I can't imagine roundabouts with the start/stop, with a manual I'd just keep the clutch in for them.
Seriously chief, it's a second at the most. I usually take my foot off the gas once I see the brake lights in front of me go off, and then hit the gas after the front car starts to move. There's really no appreciable delay at all.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:36 PM

Mein Auto: '02 M3 'Vert
Seems you have some options...

1. Learn to live with the feature.
2. Hit the disable button when you start the car.
3. Have it disabled (re-enable when you turn in the lease.)

BMW is doing this because they pretty much have to. The federal CAFE rules stipulate higher and higher fuel economy in cars, which I don't think is a bad thing. Automakers have to use every technology at their disposal to make this happen, including more efficient engines, hybrids, electric steering (and other items that cause less parasitic loss on the engine), and shutdown-when-idle.

Expect fuel savings techniques to get more aggressive in the near future, from all brands, not just BMW. Which means ASS will probably be long forgotten when people start complaining about the next tech to save gas. (Yes, expect ASS on all cars soon.)

2002 M3 Convertible
2005 VW Passat 1.8T Wagon
Old 07-18-2012, 01:39 PM

So I can blame Obama for this crap ?
Old 07-18-2012, 01:40 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Blame Bush, he signed stricter Cafe regulations before Obama was ever elected. See how that works? BMW does not have many smaller economy cars to help push up their cafe numbers, so they will continue going to smaller higher tech engines and fuel management techniques like start/stop to eek more fuel economy.

As to the concern about waiting at a light, roundabout, etc, all you have to do is slightly turn the wheel and the engine will re-start, so if you need to go go go super fast that's one way to do it.

The stop/start initially annoyed me on the all day test drive I did with the F30... after driving for hours though I rarely noticed it, I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Last edited by voip-ninja; 07-18-2012 at 01:42 PM.