Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 645 Ci
2004 645 ci SMG Clutch Overheat

Just bought an 04 645 Ci SMG.

After putting the vehicle in gear, I have to get the RPM's up around 3-4K to get the vehicle to move.

Then, as I am going through the gears, I can feel the clutch slipping.

After driving the vehicle for 1-2 miles, get a "Clutch Overheat" message on the LCD panel. I can also smell a burning smell - like a clutch burning.

Car has 54K miles.

Once it gets into gear, very good performance. Plenty of pickup, but until the gear engages, its slipping.

Any ideas or anyone had this problem before?
Advertisement
Old 07-18-2012, 06:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Sounds like a faulty clutch position sensor. I would get that fixed ASAP before you fry your clutch.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 07-18-2012, 07:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 645 Ci
Thanks Yorgi. Would the burning odor be coming from the sensor or the clutch?

Would the clutch position sensor be considered a minor or major job. I am trying to determine whether to have the dealer or a privateer work on it.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:30 PM

Mein Auto: 650i Convertible
The burning would be from the clutch itself due to slipping. Not sure where the position is located but if you have a respectable indy shop, you may want to try them first. If not, have the dealer diagnose it and take that diagnosis to an indy shop and compare.
Also use realoem.com to look up the part and that could give you an idea if it will be major or not.

Previous Cars:
2008 650 Convertible 6 speed manual
2004 645 Convertible 6 speed manual
1994 540 6 speed manual
Old 07-18-2012, 08:57 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmanmpa View Post
Thanks Yorgi. Would the burning odor be coming from the sensor or the clutch?

Would the clutch position sensor be considered a minor or major job. I am trying to determine whether to have the dealer or a privateer work on it.
That is your clutch burning. A dealer will probably charge you $5K to change the clutch, an indie $2K.

I am not sure what the issue is but my best guess is the CPS. I would try resetting the SMG transmission before you do anything. Instructions are in the owner's manual.

The clutch position sensor part is ~$300 but you normally need to drop the transmission to replace it, so $1K labor for that. If you can find someone to change it without dropping the tranny then maybe $200 labor to install it.

Get the clutch checked while they are diagnosing your problem. If the shop drops the tranny they may as well change the clutch since the parts are only $1K but the labor is $1K to $2K.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater