Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 03-07-2015, 05:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i Convertible
For those with Drivers Assistant PLUS:

Is it now a "must have" that all your future cars must have or you won't buy? This is the one package I'm torn on. I'm already getting the Top View camera so adding the entire package is "just" another $1000. OTOH it's a another $1000. (I'm not leasing, I'm buying, so it's $1000 up front, not just an extra $13/mo).

So if I'm going to spend that kind of $ I'd like to know if it's one of those "transformative" options like Comfort Access that it impossible to be with out once you have it or if it's just a nicety like LED Lighting.

ED P/U: 5/31/11
On Cargo Ship "Elektra": 6/15/11
Somewhere in NJ: 6/29/11
Redelivery: 7/14/11

Last edited by Hound Passer; 03-07-2015 at 05:26 AM.
Advertisement
Old 03-07-2015, 06:03 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i xDrive
If you already have the top view camera driver assistance plus is not a must have.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:46 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2014 335i xDrive Sedan
I took delivery from my dealer's existing inventory and my car already had the Driver Assistance Plus Package. Personally speaking, it's not a "must have" option, especially at $1,900. I would have rather had the Dynamic Handling Package (DHP) for $1,000. If I ordered my car, I would not have included the Driver Assistance Plus Package on my list of options. Just my two cents.
2014 335i xDrive Sedan | Estoril Blue | Beige Leather | M-Sport | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance Pkg | Driver Assistance Plus | Premium Pkg | Technology Pkg | Sport Automatic Transmission | Harmon Kardon Surround Sound | Rear Spoiler | Black Kidney Grilles | Stainless Steel Pedals

Last edited by Estoril Blues; 03-07-2015 at 07:49 AM.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: A car
I have it and when I was searching for cars I was always using it as a filter. I don't regret at all.

The top view cameras are super awesome, especially in tight parking lots where you wanna park your car exactly in the center of the spot. The front bumper cameras are cool, but honestly I've never needed to use it, so it doesn't look like an argument to spend money on. It might be nice if you live in a busy city with difficult intersections.

The lane assist is interesting and might save your ass if you get distracted. It works very well above ~40 mph.

The blind spot detection is very useful, because the side mirrors are quite small. Several times I turned on the turn signal and the steering wheel vibrated immediately because there was someone in my blind spot. I would have checked anyway over the shoulder, since it's a habit, but it could definitely avoid a stupid accident.

The most important thing to me is the collision warning. I have small kids and sometimes they distract me. The warnings work well and give you precious seconds to react. If you have the technology package, it will show a big red car in the HUD. I have the same thing in my MDX and that's the reason I wanted also in the BMW. If you have it, you'll be very surprised how it detects a car far ahead of you braking suddenly way before your brain can notice it. That's awesome and prevents you from braking hard too late, increasing the chance to be rear ended.

Last edited by mfdutra; 03-07-2015 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:01 AM
Math Teacher BMW lover

Mein Auto: 2011 328i xdrive 6sp
Went with the top and rear camera, but not the plus package on 2015 435i xdrive (now sitting in Bremerhaven awaiting voyage!). Maybe old fashioned, but I think that I was a little leary of giving up too much control to the car. I like the top camera for parking in tight spots (or messy garages!).
Old 03-07-2015, 09:16 AM

Mein Auto: 435i 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdutra View Post
I have it and when I was searching for cars I was always using it as a filter. I don't regret at all.

The top view cameras are super awesome, especially in tight parking lots where you wanna park your car exactly in the center of the spot. The front bumper cameras are cool, but honestly I've never needed to use it, so it doesn't look like an argument to spend money on. It might be nice if you live in a busy city with difficult intersections.

The lane assist is interesting and might save your ass if you get distracted. It works very well above ~40 mph.

The blind spot detection is very useful, because the side mirrors are quite small. Several times I turned on the turn signal and the steering wheel vibrated immediately because there was someone in my blind spot. I would have checked anyway over the shoulder, since it's a habit, but it could definitely avoid a stupid accident.

The most important thing to me is the collision warning. I have small kids and sometimes they distract me. The warnings work well and give you precious seconds to react. If you have the technology package, it will show a big red car in the HUD. I have the same thing in my MDX and that's the reason I wanted also in the BMW. If you have it, you'll very surprised how it detects a car far ahead of you braking suddenly way before your brain can notice it. That's awesome and prevents you from braking hard too late, increasing the chance to be rear ended.
absolutely excellent points. Could save your life and others around you. More important than LED lights which you already have headlights.
The ability to have extra awareness is priceless.
435i Luxury Line 2015 /MPPK /Dinan Stage 1 ecu software and harness/ Dinan exhaust/HK / Driver assist,Driver assist plus/Imperial Blue and Saddle Brown int,M sport brakes,Tech pk,Premium ,Side/top cameras
335i with M performance Kit 2015 for DW
Done with American cars!!
Old 03-07-2015, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: '14 328xi Sport Line
My wife's Mazda has the blind spot alert--if that was a standalone option, I'd definitely get it. But, unless you are special ordering, whether this pkg is a "must have" or not is not a simple question, because I think it's probably hard to find. If you find 2 exact cars, one with and one without, I'd get it. But that's not likely to be the case...

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Shift Paddles
Old 03-07-2015, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW 435 xDrive
I ordered every option available except automatic transmission and active cruise control. Many options that I have I never experienced before which is why I ordered them. I must say that if you want that extra layer of protection, the driver assistance plus package is definitely worth it. Would I get it again? Absolutely as the blind spot detection and collision detection have been useful.

Estoril Blue
Black Leather
Hexagon trim
Estoril Blue matte finisher

6 Speed Manual

M Sport
Cold Weather
Driver Assistance Package
Driver Assistance Plus
Dynamic Handling Package
Lighting Package
19" Light Alloy Wheels (style 442M grey)
Premium Package
Technology Package
M Sport Brakes
Leather Dashboard
Enhanced Bluetooth
Concierge Services
Parking Assistant
Power Rear Sunshade
Harmon Kardon
M Performance Black Grilles
MPPK
MPE

Ordered on 7/26/2014
Old 03-07-2015, 11:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 335i X-Drive
I have all those options including the Active Cruise Control. Totally worth it if you're planning to keep the car for a while, in my case I am.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i xdrive coupe
I have it and think it is a must have for safety
Old 03-07-2015, 11:19 PM

Mein Auto: 328ic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound Passer View Post
Is it now a "must have" that all your future cars must have or you won't buy? This is the one package I'm torn on. I'm already getting the Top View camera so adding the entire package is "just" another $1000. OTOH it's a another $1000. (I'm not leasing, I'm buying, so it's $1000 up front, not just an extra $13/mo).

So if I'm going to spend that kind of $ I'd like to know if it's one of those "trans formative" options like Comfort Access that it impossible to be with out once you have it or if it's just a nicety like LED Lighting.
The collision avoidance system and blind spot detection could help you avoid an accident and possibly save your life. In that sense, I view the Driver's Assistance Package as a "must have."

I often have the steering wheel vibrate and the side views light up when I attempting to change lanes. It gives me the peace of mind and safety of changing lanes without having to turn my head.

The Collision Avoidance System has engaged twice, once it saved me from rear ending someone who stopped short. As such, its already paid for itself!

Lane Departure Warning is next to worthless IMO. I leave it off. Same goes with the side view cameras as the perspective is too great to be useful when pulling out of a driveway where my view is obstructed. Plus, looking at your cameras instead of just looking at the road is not practical.

I use the top down cameras all the time as I am terrible at parallel parking and having the cameras allow me to park perfectly without scratching my rims.

The DHP is unnecessary in my opinion as there is plenty of variation between Economy, Comfort and MSport modes. And while the LED lights are super cool, I don't think they are worth $1,900 extra when the car already comes with xenon headlights.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:31 AM

Mein Auto: M3, 335GT
I got it in my 335GT because the rear and side visibility is compromised by the sloping hatch. The front collision warning is usually good but false alarms now and then, and doesn't work in heavy rain or fog. I rarely use the lane departure - too annoying especially on narrow back roads. I'll turn it on for highway drives if I'm feeling a little tired - figure its good insurance.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 Z4 3.0i
Thanks for this thread. I was wondering the exact same thing and the replies have convinced me to add it on my next car.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i M Sport, 6 spd
I think the blind spot detection is excellent and use it all of the time. I always have the collision detection on and it has alerted a couple of times. Hard to miss in the HUD. I only use lane departure when on long trips back and forth between SC and NJ. I find it useful then but annoying otherwise. I don't use the top down camera very often and probably should use it more. Overall, I am glad I have driver's assistance plus and would get it again.

2013 BMW 328i, Estoril Blue, 6 sp MT, Premium/Tech/Driver Assist + Packages, Bavsound Stage One

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Past cars: BMW 535i, BMW 525xi, Saab 9-5 (2), Saab 9-3 (2), Porsche 968 (2), Porsche 944S2, Porsche 944, Saab 900T, BMW 528i, Porsche 924, Karmann Ghia

Last edited by chazmink; 03-08-2015 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:16 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmchow View Post
Thanks for this thread. I was wondering the exact same thing and the replies have convinced me to add it on my next car.
Ditto!
Old 03-08-2015, 08:45 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound Passer View Post

So if I'm going to spend that kind of $ I'd like to know if it's one of those "transformative" options like Comfort Access that it impossible to be with out once you have it or if it's just a nicety like LED Lighting.

I have it and would get it again. The blind spot warning is especially helpful.