Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:30 PM
Let me buya F31 335xi BMW

Mein Auto: 09 JCW, C43/55, 560SL, TJ
Why is BMW making me buy a Volvo?!

V60 Polestar specifically, for its suspension and other factory backed upgrades. But the T6 R-design would do nicely for anyone not looking for that level of kit but wanting more meat on the bone.

Why BMW, why?!

I'd rather own the F31 335i (even a 335d) xDrive , with its better, more efficient, and modern, engine and transmission tech. Why are you doing this to me?!
Ads by Google
Old 06-16-2014, 07:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328i XDrive
Polestar sounds like a really crappy name for a stripper.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polite Canuck View Post
LOL good one

OP, check out this comparison done by C&D,

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

Though I agree the V60 is one good looking wagon! The new drive-e powertrains are very intriguing as well
Old 06-17-2014, 05:25 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
I don't know, $55k buys a lot of car. Pretty unique though, if I won the lotto, that would be my family car.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:12 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by m8o View Post
V60 Polestar specifically, for its suspension and other factory backed upgrades. But the T6 R-design would do nicely for anyone not looking for that level of kit but wanting more meat on the bone.

Why BMW, why?!

I'd rather own the F31 335i (even a 335d) xDrive , with its better, more efficient, and modern, engine and transmission tech. Why are you doing this to me?!
I spoke with Norbert Reithofer, over breakfast, this morning. His reasoning is because he doesn't like you. Sorry man, I tried to get you back into his good graces, but you know how those Germans can be

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:14 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:
Sounds like a Japanamation character (male). Probably looks like a per-buscent boy, has a star on his forehead. Obviously the eyes are all white because he has mystical ability. He has plenty of emo moments, and is fairly whiny. Pretty sure the voice-over work is by an adrogenous male, or a female.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Quote:
Why BMW, why?!

You really want the answer? You sure? OK ...

F31 335i (or d) X-drive would cost BMW north of 1 and south of 5 million dollars to bring it for sale here. They might break even by selling couple of thousands of them in 7 year period at higher price to cover for federalization costs. However, BMW chose to save that money and bring here 3GT, 5GT or X6 (or even X4) of which they might sell same amount and actually break even, but that makes them "cool" and covers every single niche.

Well, obviously not every niche, as your OP shows, but it does cover every "cool" niche and you are not one of them. Sorry for your luck.

By the way, did you know that you can option that Volvo with all colors Euros get, all internal color combos Euros get and cherry pick options from a list as Euros do - if you choose to opt for Euro Delivery? Besides, Volvo gives you TWO free tickets to Stockholm and that is a lot of savings on the top of discounted price when compared with BMW.

Hey, it is still an inline 6.

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 06-17-2014, 08:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 EBII 328ix
I was looking at the S60 sedan when car shopping. They do offer a lot of car for the money. I thought it drove pretty well, but could not get past the center console and the dated infotainment system that drastically needs updating(looks like they did with the XC90 interior) The issue I had with the center console is while great esthetic design with that waterfall flow, the edges of it are very sharp and if you try bracing your knee against it it becomes literally a sore spot.

Was a good indicator to me that while a good car, its not a "drivers" car.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
...... Well, obviously not every niche, as your OP shows, but it does cover every "cool" niche and you are not one of them. Sorry for your luck.
By the way, did you know ... if you choose to opt for Euro Delivery? ...
Hey, it is still an inline 6.
I certainly am one who thinks someone driving by in an F31 looks a hellofa lot kewlr than someone driving by in one of those GT monstrosities or one of those X-coupe wannabes! Federalization of those was a total money suck & waste. I find it debatable how it could be economically feasible for Volvo to federalize an inline 6 wagon but for BMW it not be.

I heard that about Volvo's ED. I don't know if that optioning possibility holds for the Polestar [or ED period, not all models are] but I'll be checking.

MickAv8r, I had that same observation and concern about the center console. My Mini gives me orders of magnitude more freedom of movement of my right leg than the V/S60 does. That intrusion to the left of the center stack on the go peddle leg has kept me from buying an Audi A series in the past. When I pushed the V60's seat back to where I'd be driving it thereby straightening the leg more, and dropped the seat down, the intrusion was greatly diminished ... but I'm sure I'll curse it over the long haul.

furby076, tell Norbert he's now on my list too.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecemberStorm View Post
OP, check out this comparison done by C&D,
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test
Though I agree the V60 is one good looking wagon! The new drive-e powertrains are very intriguing as well
Nice, no, I hadn't seen that.

Minus the "Chassis" rating, the V60 was ahead. I have a vehicle with dual adjustable Penske 8100 dampers and know 1st hand what that type of suspension does for a car. The dampers on the Polestar are where the magic lies. I read near two dozen reviews (if not more) from the people that attended the special "V60/S60 Polestar preview & test drive". All down the line indicate to me that the "Chassis" rating would be top marks from the work Polestar did if that were the one tested putting it ahead (of course, that's a very different price & category of kit tho too, so one would only expect it leads the pack if that were the case).
Old 06-17-2014, 09:24 AM

Mein Auto: 335i xDrive, X1 28ixDrive
Quote:
I can't get by that name either.

Somebody in marketing over there didn't do enough research.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I can't get by that name either.

Somebody in marketing over there didn't do enough research.
That's still not as bad as Mitsubishi introducing its Pajero SUV to South America. Pajero in countries like Argentina and Chile (and others) is slang for masturbator or a really lazy person.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i
I was behind one of these in traffic the other day. It was quite fugly from the back. It had a quite ill-defined profile from the rear. The tail lights were too high and made it look like a nissan-ic small SUV. The side and front view are nice though.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: 335i xDrive, X1 28ixDrive
Quote:
That's still not as bad as Mitsubishi introducing its Pajero SUV to South America. Pajero in countries like Argentina and Chile (and others) is slang for masturbator or a really lazy person.
Or GM's Nova in Spanish speaking countries. Doesn't that basically mean no go? I guess GM named that one correctly .
Old 06-17-2014, 10:54 AM

The name is an invention of a race team not Volvo after all.

I must be the only one that instead of immediately going somewhere skanky when 1st hearing "Polestar" , and thought instead of how it's more likely intended of a race driver attaining Pole position so frequently he's considered a star at it.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i
Checked out the S60 RD last week. It handles as well as a BMW even with its front wheel biased AWD. Volvo does not market that car enough..
Old 06-17-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I must be the only one that instead of immediately going somewhere skanky when 1st hearing "Polestar" , and thought instead of how it's more likely intended of a race driver attaining Pole position so frequently he's considered a star at it.
Yes, you are the only one! Think about the following before you make a purchase...

Let's say a bachelor who owns a polestar goes into a bar. He meet a beautiful woman. He approaches her and they begin talking. They hit it off. Then he says to her "Wanna see my POLESTAR?"...

In fact, I can think of a half dozen scenarios in which that name would just sound ridiculous (and hilarious)

Somebody backs into you
"HEY, you backed into my POLESTAR!"

You ram into somebody
"Sorry I rammed you with my POLESTAR!"

Hitting a deer with your car
"I killed a deer with my POLESTAR"

You find out the car isn't very fast
"I don't have a lot of pep in my POLESTAR"

Fishing for compliments
"Do you like my POLESTAR"

Friends inquiring about space in the car
"How big is your POLESTAR?'

Polish your car
"I'm gonna polish my POLESTAR"

Your car breaks down
"My POLESTAR is broken and leaking fluids"

Bad odour seeps into your car
"My POLESTAR smells bad"
Old 06-17-2014, 11:43 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Do those need to be mutually exclusive?
Old 06-17-2014, 12:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328d
Are you aware that "the street" is saying that Volvo will pull out of the US by the end of the years thanks,largely,to the fact that their market share here has dropped to something like 0.5%?

Fuelly
Old 06-17-2014, 03:40 PM

I said I'd rather own a BMW. But what you say sounds like FUD.

It seems factually from a few of the graphs I find on goole the near past Volvo sports a 3 - 4% of the 'luxury' market (sure they're a lot smaller if you count all the Ford F150s and others like it, and econo-boxes sold too in the whole), depending on the month greater than the likes of Porsche, Lincoln, Jaguar, Land Rover, some others. And the US remains Volvo's greatest market. And I see a hellofa lot of them on the streets; pulling-out seems rather suicidal. Then there's still the enormous number of them that will need maintenance for a long long time ensuring dealership service viability, since they do last forever.

BTW, is this the same "street" on which oil traders work who share a belief "the earth shall never run out of oil, it's just something it makes" That's the key point of a discussion I had during one of the AMG track events I attended where an oil trader asked me "so you really think oil is made of dino's and may run out one day? Many people I work with say the earth will never run out of oil, it's just something it makes" ... I stood shocked with my mouth open for a moment contemplating how this is one of the people responsible for guiding the price of oil, then explained the concept of just how long hundreds of millions of years of vegetation growth and algae growth that had transpired is. It was all in all a very defining moment for me of the smarts of "the street".

Last edited by m8o; 06-17-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: '14 F31 328d SportLine
I have yet to understand why people would buy a 335 xdrive, wagon or not. I understand a 328 xdrive but with a 335 you have way more power than you can ever use when conditions warrent AWD and when you have conditions where you can use all that power the AWD adds weight and worse suspension. It's like getting the worst of both worlds.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:18 PM
Registered Boozer

Mein Auto: 2011 328xit, 2012 Golf R
How about for someone like me that lives in the WA mountains. I need AWD for getting around in the winter, but want a fast car for driving the mountain roads, etc. It's too bad we get so few options in the US.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangman4358 View Post
I have yet to understand why people would buy a 335 xdrive, wagon or not. I understand a 328 xdrive but with a 335 you have way more power than you can ever use when conditions warrent AWD and when you have conditions where you can use all that power the AWD adds weight and worse suspension. It's like getting the worst of both worlds.
By that logic Audi & Subaru would both be notorious for never winning a race. And ... um ...
Old 06-17-2014, 05:38 PM

Mein Auto: '14 F31 328d SportLine
Quote:
By that logic Audi & Subaru would both be notorious for never winning a race. And ... um ...
The AWD offerings from those two are lightyears ahead of what BMW offers. I was specifically alking about the 335 in xdrive guises.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangman4358 View Post
This makes no sense.