Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 645ci Convertible
Cool Ceramic Brake Pads

I am new to the forum. Many of you may already know this. I replaced the brakes on my '04 645 with ceramic brake pads at the recommendation of friend and fellow BMW owner..*****, was that ever worth the extra money! Goodbye ugly brake dust that appears 5 minutes after you clean the wheels. Used a local shop here in Atlanta area who are great with suspensions, brakes and tires. Still saved me several hundred dollars over what the dealer would have charged.
Ads by Google
Old 09-26-2012, 11:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 650i
What pads did you use?
HUD, Comfort Access

Old 09-27-2012, 05:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 645ci Convertible
I called the shop and they used Akebono Ceramic Pads.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:07 AM

Thanks. I'm not far from needing brakes and look forward to loosing the german pads and dust. I've seen a few people recommend the Akebono's.
HUD, Comfort Access

Old 09-27-2012, 02:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650i vert comf&cold
Whats the name of the shop?
Old 10-12-2012, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
Did you stick to the OEM rotors? Have you noticed a difference in the bite of brake pads in comparison to the OEM brake pads?
Old 10-12-2012, 02:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 650i LCI
On my 7 I switched to R1 Conceps cross drilled rotors (I think they use Stop tech) and Akebono brake pads. I loved it! Too bad when I bought my wheels the dealer did a new brake job! I feel bad changing brand new OEM pads. Brake dust is a beatch though!

2008 BMW 650i Convertible- LCI.
- ACS style rear spoiler
-Eisenmann Race Exhaust, resonators removed, Magnaflow X pipe.
- LED Angel eyes, plate light and interior package
- Tinted Windows- Charcoal 20%
- Stock 19" summer wheels & 18" M6 Winter wheels
Old 10-13-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanra View Post
Did you stick to the OEM rotors? Have you noticed a difference in the bite of brake pads in comparison to the OEM brake pads?
I just did my rears. I went with the Akibionos and Zimmerman rotors. Very happy so far. I think I will do OEM with the Akibonos in front when the time comes.

Plus one on the dust reduction
HUD, Comfort Access

Old 10-17-2012, 01:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645ci
I need to get my front brakes done soon. My cousin can put them on for me. I guess I'm trying to figure out what the difference in quality is if you do the brakes yourself vs going to the dealer to get them done. I saw you went with the Akebono cermaic brakes. Are these the right ones? http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...ono_14340325-p
I recently had my cousin replace my rear brakes not with cermaic, I can't remember what brand they are. Can I still put these ceramics on the front if I have something different on the back? I guess I don't want to pay $200+ to get my front brakes done if I can do a diy for $100 but I want to make sure I'm not sacrificing quality. Like are the brake pad the dealer will you better than the Akebonos? Thanks for your help!
Old 10-17-2012, 07:34 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
You can mix ceramic and non-ceramic pads but there in one thing you need to be careful of. If you have a very high torque pad in the rear (say OEM from the dealer or Hawk HP+ for example) and then install medium torque pads in the front like the Akebono, this can cause instability during hard braking from high speed. When the rear pads are doing more work than the the front the car tends to want to swap ends or spin.

I would go for the Akebono in the front then do a high speed panic stop in a parking lot when it's raining. If the car feels OK then leave the rear pads in. If you feel the car get squirmy under braking I would order a set of Akebono for the rear and install them to match the front.

Akebono make very high quality pads, but they do not stop as well as OEM pads due to the material they use. It's an extremely low dusting material and does not bite as well as OEM.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 10-17-2012, 07:39 PM

Thanks for the response Yorgi! The rear brake pads are not performance quality or anything but I'll have to test it out once I get the fronts done as you suggested. Thanks again :-)
Old 10-18-2012, 09:08 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Laslonimne
Mein Auto: 650i Cabriolet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorgi View Post
. . . do a high speed panic stop in a parking lot when it's raining.
Either you have MUCH larger parking lots in Toronto than we have in Tulsa or you and I have a different definition of "high speed."

Last edited by Laslonimne; 10-19-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laslonimne View Post
Either you have MUCH larger parking lots in Toronto then we have in Tulsa or you and I have a different definition of "high speed."
LOL. Howdy stranger. Hope you've been busy on some mega road trip.

Well "high speed" compared to putting around neighborhood streets. Fast enough to get the ABS to kick in.

Any large mall should have a lot that will let you get up to 55mph without worrying about hitting curbs or poles.

A race track would be ideal but not many people have ever get a chance to run at a track.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorgi View Post
Hope you've been busy on some mega road trip.
No mega trips lately. We're leaving Thursday for a Tulsa to New Orleans to Austin two-lane run. Plan to see great fall foliage, listen to lots of good music and eat well. Might even find a decent road or two in the Ozarks.

We're driving to Los Angeles for Thanksgiving and I'm replacing the front brakes before we leave. I'm using Akebono pads (with BMW rotors) so I'm very appreciative of your tip. It hadn't occurred to me that I might create a problem for myself while shutting down after a sprint to the speed limiter.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laslonimne View Post
No mega trips lately. We're leaving Thursday for a Tulsa to New Orleans to Austin two-lane run. Plan to see great fall foliage, listen to lots of good music and eat well. Might even find a decent road or two in the Ozarks.

We're driving to Los Angeles for Thanksgiving and I'm replacing the front brakes before we leave. I'm using Akebono pads (with BMW rotors) so I'm very appreciative of your tip. It hadn't occurred to me that I might create a problem for myself while shutting down after a sprint to the speed limiter.
For the trip to New Orleans, I suggest you cut over to siloam springs, take Hi 16 (back roads) to Fayetteville, and then have some fun on old US 71 through the Boston Mountains south to Alma/Fort Smith. (used to live in NW AR as a teenager). Have a great trip!

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Old 10-19-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregb View Post
For the trip to New Orleans, I suggest you cut over to siloam springs, take Hi 16 (back roads) to Fayetteville, and then have some fun on old US 71 through the Boston Mountains south to Alma/Fort Smith. (used to live in NW AR as a teenager). Have a great trip!
16 and 71 are great roads. I've driven and ridden motorcycles all over Western Arkansas. But we're spending the night in Clarksdale, MS (Ground Zero Blues Club) and 71 forces me South too soon. So I plan to take 412 to Harrison, then drop South.
Thanks for the recommendation though.

I am also looking for routes to LA that avoid the Interstate - I'm running out of new ways to get there.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:20 PM

So I replaced my front brake pads with the akebono ceramics and got the brake error service signal. I bought new sensors, because i heard this is what causes the error, but when I go to install the new sensors, there is a lot of play. They are fitting in there snug. I tried to reset the brake service and it still wouldn't clear. Do you think it's because the sensor isn't fitting snug or is it because the sensor is possible not what is causing the service not to reset properly?
Old 11-10-2012, 09:20 PM

You say they are snug but you also say there is a lot of play? That sounds contradicting to me.

The sensors should nap in very tightly with no wiggle. They are actually in so tight that the sensor tends to break when you remove it.

Did you buy OEM sensors? From what I've seen many of the aftermarket sensors are bad right out of the box. Sensors act like a fuse, if you get a bad one new in the box it acts like a blown fuse before you install it.

In order for the brake pad light to go out the sensor must be properly plugged into the car at the enclosure side and it must be "good". How the sensor plugs into the pad has no bearing on the pad warning light.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:37 AM

Push like hell. I thought I was going to break the thing when I was installing it and like Yorgi said. There will be no play when it's in correctly.
HUD, Comfort Access

Old 11-11-2012, 08:04 PM

I meant to say they aren't fitting snug...oops. Tried to bypass the one in the front where I have the akebono ceramic pads since the sensor wouldn't fit in there properly. Front brake pad control light still wouldn't clear. Even the old sensor that fit in the old brake pads which I'm thinking are both OEM, wouldn't fit in the akebono pads. The new and old sensors fit in there very loosely. The new sensor fit snug in my back brake pads ( these are not ceramic) but the rear brake control light still wouldn't clear. I have no idea what to do at this point....
Old 11-12-2012, 12:10 AM

I would start by bypassing the sensors and/or testing the sensors.

To test a sensor you need a multimeter. Set it to ohms. Unplug the sensor from the enclosure and look inside the white plug. You will see two pins down inside. The pins are about 1" inside the socket so you may need some small alligator clip leads to clamp on the pins. You should see 0 to 0.1 ohms. If you see an open load across those two pins the sensor is bad.

Another thing you can do is bypass the sensors. If the brake pad warning goes out after bypassing the senors then you know the sensors are bad. Bypass one at a time to identify if it's a front or rear sensor with the problem.

Here is a great video showing how to bypass the sensors. The car is an E46 but the sensors setups are almost identical

Last edited by Yorgi; 11-12-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:22 AM
Michael

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
Hi ! this may sound a bit dumb, but! some pads come with a smaller slot in one of the pads and a correct sized slot in another, so if you use the wrong slotted pad in the sensor location, clearly you will have a problem!! Secondly some of the newer sensors have come with two retaining springs coupled together, I suppose to ensure the pad stays in place.
I also once purchased a set of pads were the sensor would not fit and I had to file it down.
Finally for those changing pads generally, I have found that the rears wear as quickly as the fronts, so when changing the fronts I would always do the rears as a matter of course, ensuring that I always had a compatible setup front and rear at the same time!!!

Does my bum look good in this !