Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 X5 35d
Difference between 18" vs. 20" wheels?

I am looking to potentially replace the 18" wheels on 35d with 20" Oem wheels and tires (rf) and I am just wondering, how different will be the ride in terms of performance and comfort. My wheel switch will be solely for aesthetics purposes as I love the big wheels and wide tire look. Anyone who have actually done this switch?
Advertisement
Old 07-14-2012, 09:46 PM

Mein Auto: X5 Diesel xDrive35d
A few things to keep in mind . . . I have Option 214 . . .
  • improved handling but a harsher ride . . . not only is your sidewall getting shorter (less shock absorption) you are also switching from non-RFT to RFT
  • you will need the fender flare (assuming you don't have one now) . . . without it your tire will stick out
  • Non RFT tires lasts much longer than RFT.
  • Assuming you mimic Option 214 - these have staggered tire configuration, therefore cannot rotate tires
  • If you experience serious winter, you will need to keep your 18" set as winter tires
  • Yes IMO wider tires look great.
If you are doing this only for aesthetic reasons, you may want to consider 20" non-RFT . . . or a 19" with about the same width. These options should give less harsh ride.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:33 AM

Mein Auto: '11 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPsX5d View Post
A few things to keep in mind . . . I have Option 214 . . .
  • improved handling but a harsher ride . . . not only is your sidewall getting shorter (less shock absorption) you are also switching from non-RFT to RFT
  • you will need the fender flare (assuming you don't have one now) . . . without it your tire will stick out
  • Non RFT tires lasts much longer than RFT.
  • Assuming you mimic Option 214 - these have staggered tire configuration, therefore cannot rotate tires
  • If you experience serious winter, you will need to keep your 18" set as winter tires
  • Yes IMO wider tires look great.
If you are doing this only for aesthetic reasons, you may want to consider 20" non-RFT . . . or a 19" with about the same width. These options should give less harsh ride.
Thanks for your input. The 18" are run flats. I do not have the fender flares but I looked it up and they're about $300-350.
Winter in NYC is not bad. We get snowed maybe twice, three times a winter plus snow gets removed right away, so that's not an issue.
Let's see. If it costs too much then I'll just stick with 18"s. Thanks again.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:04 AM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecaX5 View Post
Thanks for your input. The 18" are run flats. I do not have the fender flares but I looked it up and they're about $300-350.
Winter in NYC is not bad. We get snowed maybe twice, three times a winter plus snow gets removed right away, so that's not an issue.
Let's see. If it costs too much then I'll just stick with 18"s. Thanks again.
The 20s are going to get ruined in NYC within a couple days

I really wanted them, but I gave up the awesome looking wheels because tire replacement costs are ridiculous and the roads suck in the Northeast
Old 07-18-2012, 10:23 PM

Mein Auto: e92
I replaced my 18's with 20's... love ride on 20's vs. 18's, but then again I'm in OC, Cali where the roads are nice and smooth.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 x5 3.0...2009 328i
I really dont think fender flares are needed with the 20 inch rim. The back tires stick out only slightly, and the fronts do not stick out at all.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:31 PM

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35D White
I get more comments on the 20s than anything else. Really sets the X5 off.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:20 PM

Mein Auto: e92
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALLAWAY845 View Post
I really dont think fender flares are needed with the 20 inch rim. The back tires stick out only slightly, and the fronts do not stick out at all.
This is a subtle thing but it's a huge difference visually. Looking at the X from behind or at 3/4 view, it just makes the whole vehicle look wider and stronger with the flares.

You probably spent over $50k+ for this vehicle, spend the extra few hundred bucks and make it look right.