Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:13 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Euro Delivery Care Package

I am doing a Euro Delivery of an M5 Individual in September. It's Monte Carlo Blue with a Platinum Merino Full Leather Individual Interior with Piano Black Wood. The leather is essentially white, and a natural leather (no urethane, natural grain)

Any suggestions on what I should take in a care package for the trip? I'm planning to do a lot of driving. Have family with me so can't take up too much luggage space.

I'm imagining:
Some leather care products/protectants
Maybe some Optimum Quick Detailer and micro fluffies for cleaning the trim and finger prints from the shadow line trim on the doors
Not sure if I should take some spray on coating? I assume the car will already be waxed by BMW prior to delivery. Hard Body can't be applied by hand anyway can it?

Any thoughts?

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Advertisement
Old 07-22-2012, 04:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Jaguar XKE
I would suggest Leather Masters Foam Cleaner and Leather Masters Protection Cream , along with Otimum GPS, a spray formula that exibits zero dusting and creates gloss (enhancing, not hiding glaze) along with long term protect

Congads on the new car ...enjoy your trip to EU
Old 08-13-2012, 09:04 PM
Paint polishing expert

Mein Auto: 2011 335is
Drive directly down to the parking garage of the Welt. Have the family rest in the lounge, while you are protecting.

A few oz of LM protective cream and a MF app for the leather. That is what I put on our Dakota leather, no issues at all.

Hard Body can be applied by hand, but I prefer to work it into the surface. A MF app will work fine. You should also do a good IPA wipe down prior to HB application. I would bring a spray bottle and buy some IPA on the way to the Welt. Half a liter will be plenty.

Wolf's will be out with their version of ONR in a month or so. Not sure if that will be in time for your delivery.

Wolf's also makes a product called "the mask" Its a spray on temp clear bra. Washes off with water.

14 Tesla S85 Model S

Previous BMWs
12 535i GT DSMB/Cinnamon Welt 1/31/2012
11 335is SGM
99 740il-sold 52k-157k
94 540ia-sold 98k-155k
93 740il-sold 92k-147k
Old 08-13-2012, 11:03 PM
The Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmblack3 View Post
Drive directly down to the parking garage of the Welt. Have the family rest in the lounge, while you are protecting.

A few oz of LM protective cream and a MF app for the leather. That is what I put on our Dakota leather, no issues at all.

Hard Body can be applied by hand, but I prefer to work it into the surface. A MF app will work fine. You should also do a good IPA wipe down prior to HB application. I would bring a spray bottle and buy some IPA on the way to the Welt. Half a liter will be plenty.

Wolf's will be out with their version of ONR in a month or so. Not sure if that will be in time for your delivery.

Wolf's also makes a product called "the mask" Its a spray on temp clear bra. Washes off with water.
I am thinking I will skip the hardbody and just get it done properly in the US. I would imagine a lot of towels are needed to clean with an ONR Spray bottle. Plus the car already comes with wax on it so I would need to strip that before applying hard body wouldn't I?

Also what is IPA? I don't know all these detailing terms!

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 08-14-2012, 05:19 AM
Paint polishing expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
I am thinking I will skip the hardbody and just get it done properly in the US. I would imagine a lot of towels are needed to clean with an ONR Spray bottle. Plus the car already comes with wax on it so I would need to strip that before applying hard body wouldn't I?

Also what is IPA? I don't know all these detailing terms!
IPA is isopropyl alcohol, yes it would be used prior to Hard Body to remove any waxes or polishing oils.

As far as ONR or QEW wash, just 2 buckets, 1 plush MF towel and 2oz of QEW or ONR per wash.

1-2 gallons of water in each bucket, 1 oz of either ONR or QEW per gallon in one bucket.

Plush MF in solution bucket, wring it out slightly, wipe an area and keep turning towel to a fresh side. Once all sides are used, place in water bucket and agitate. Wring out and place back in solution bucket and continue. Dry with quality MF Waffle weave when done.

If doing outside dry each section after cleaning. If the solution dries before you dry it off, go over area again.

I used the mask from Wolf's on my new truck last month when driving it back from up north, great product.

14 Tesla S85 Model S

Previous BMWs
11 335is SGM
99 740il-sold 52k-157k
94 540ia-sold 98k-155k
93 740il-sold 92k-147k
Old 08-26-2012, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: 911 Cab/328i
I wouldnt go with a half-a.. application of a coating. I would keep it simple, all you need is a cpl weeks of protection.

Small bottles of
-Lm protection cream
- maybe a WOWA sealant like opti seal or ultima paint guard plus, OR your favorite sealant
- Interior cleaner like Meg's qid, or 1z Cockpit
- maybe a diluted apc Like OPC or Blackfire, just in case
- waterless wash of your choice
- microfiber towels

I like Wolfs Mask but it strips weak waxes upon removal, so you need to be prepared to reapply after.
(+1999 911 Carrera Cab, 1967 Morgan +4 SS, 2008 Nissan Armada)
Old 08-27-2012, 08:01 AM

Mein Auto: 99...540i
For me I would bring or get there some cleaning supplies to keep the car wiped down and have it washed there at a good car wash. Then once it back in the US have a full correction detail done and apply the protection that you want.

Its Going To Cost How Much???????
Old 09-05-2012, 12:30 PM
Paint polishing expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by aray View Post
I wouldnt go with a half-a.. application of a coating. I would keep it simple, all you need is a cpl weeks of protection.

Small bottles of
-Lm protection cream
- maybe a WOWA sealant like opti seal or ultima paint guard plus, OR your favorite sealant
- Interior cleaner like Meg's qid, or 1z Cockpit
- maybe a diluted apc Like OPC or Blackfire, just in case
- waterless wash of your choice
- microfiber towels

I like Wolfs Mask but it strips weak waxes upon removal, so you need to be prepared to reapply after.
Interesting about the Mask, I dont use weak waxes or any waxes for that matter, but thanks for the info.

14 Tesla S85 Model S

Previous BMWs
11 335is SGM
99 740il-sold 52k-157k
94 540ia-sold 98k-155k
93 740il-sold 92k-147k
Old 09-05-2012, 12:43 PM
The Driver

I would imagine a mask is pointless on a Euro Delivery trip. It would wash off in the rain. And then the car would be dirty and you wouldn't be able to reapply without washing it again.

Isn't that right?

2014 ///M5 Individual
Old 09-11-2012, 09:26 PM

Mein Auto: '09 535i; bought back
I did ED this year. I am quite the fanatic..... But I hope you're able to relax and just enjoy the car in her native land. Things happen. Dirt, dust and bird poop. It drove me nuts while in Germany, but looking back, it all washed away and my car looked factory fresh once back in the US. Not a single smudge or swirl Once it arrived, I Swissvaxed the heck out of it and what happened in Germany stayed in Germany. I know this is a detailing forum, but that's my 2 cents worth.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:54 AM

Mein Auto: 99...540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettski69 View Post
I did ED this year. I am quite the fanatic..... But I hope you're able to relax and just enjoy the car in her native land. Things happen. Dirt, dust and bird poop. It drove me nuts while in Germany, but looking back, it all washed away and my car looked factory fresh once back in the US. Not a single smudge or swirl Once it arrived, I Swissvaxed the heck out of it and what happened in Germany stayed in Germany. I know this is a detailing forum, but that's my 2 cents worth.
This is what I remarked above. As long as you are not abrasive to the car, there is no reason to get carried away. It's not like you are going to a third world country or the out back of Africa.

Its Going To Cost How Much???????