Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-22-2012, 06:16 AM
sticktoplans sticktoplans is offline
Registered User
Location: Israel
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: BMW 320 E90
Exclamation BMW 320 2007 Model - Red Cog, Exclamation Mark.

Hi,

Bear with me as I detail my escapades because I really need your experience with these issues and want to provide relevant details.

I have a 2007 BMW 320 (E90, isn't it?). Mileage: ~96K Miles (155K Kilometeres)

I have just got out of an official BMW CS center (mechanic) with the diagnosis of a bad transmission system - which means it's gone. The price tag: $8,000 for a refurbished, around $13,000 for a new one. (I'm not here to complain about the price, these are only above average prices here in Israel)

All they did was plug my car for 20 minutes to the computer, they did not check any transmission system fluids/oil. Their diagnosis was very fast - "it needs replacement".

What I experience is this:

only in SOME instances, when the red transmission error ISN'T showing up, the car may have trouble accelerating from stand still. After it accelerates, there are no troubles whatsoever. This does NOT happen every ride.

In some (relatively rare) instances, especially after long rides, the red cog symbol with an exclamation mark inside it (transmission error) shows up, and then the car really has problem moving, and it seems like it's "locked" in some gear other than 1/2, which makes it really sluggish.

As I said, until this icon appears, the problem is relatively minor.

I have tried Googling this problem in Hebrew to find similar problems, and found one exact case like mine where the official BMW dealership says it's a faulty trans. system, and the problem is solved simply by changing the trans. system fluids oil or another, much cheaper solution. It seems that the dealerships are quick to make assumptions without really checking, they just "follow the computer".

However, I don't want your opinions to be biased, so please advise from your own knowledge/experience, on what to check before I have to spend 50% of the car's worth on a new trans. system.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 07-22-2012, 08:06 AM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,009
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by sticktoplans View Post
....official BMW dealership says it's a faulty trans. system, and the problem is solved simply by changing the trans. system fluids oil or another, much cheaper solution. It seems that the dealerships are quick to make assumptions without really checking, they just "follow the computer".

However, I don't want your opinions to be biased, so please advise from your own knowledge/experience, on what to check before I have to spend 50% of the car's worth on a new trans. system.
BMW dealers do no repair on transmissions other than R&R - small wonder, diagnosis.

The $ charge: How's it break down, labor/part/core charge?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-22-2012, 08:25 AM
sticktoplans sticktoplans is offline
Registered User
Location: Israel
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: BMW 320 E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
BMW dealers do no repair on transmissions other than R&R - small wonder, diagnosis.

The $ charge: How's it break down, labor/part/core charge?

Hi, thanks for very much for replying. I don't really get the technical term R&R, and what does "small wonder, diagnosis" mean? As I said I'm not American so sometimes I find it hard getting humor/pun.

The $ charge: I didn't even care to ask. I told them to discharge the car immediately, but not before insisting they sign their diagnosis.


After more research, I think I'm going for:

1) Software Update and speed output/input sensors, if fails;
2) replace ATF and/or battery

If none of these work, I'll simply let that damn car sit there. I'm not going to fix it for 50% of it's market price.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-22-2012, 08:51 AM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,009
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by sticktoplans View Post
Hi, thanks for very much for replying. I don't really get the technical term R&R, and what does "small wonder, diagnosis" mean? As I said I'm not American so sometimes I find it hard getting humor/pun.
R&R -- Remove and replace

Small wonder, diagnosis -- given BMW does no transmission repair, not surprising they'd recommend replacement instead of looking into the problem and fixing what's wrong.

Could be as simple as a $100 valve.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-22-2012, 09:10 AM
sticktoplans sticktoplans is offline
Registered User
Location: Israel
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: BMW 320 E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
R&R -- Remove and replace

Small wonder, diagnosis -- given BMW does no transmission repair, not surprising they'd recommend replacement instead of looking into the problem and fixing what's wrong.

Could be as simple as a $100 valve.
Yeah, that's what I guessed but didn't want to take a chance, thanks!

It could still be the Red Cog of Death, right..?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms