Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
X1 xDrive28, towing capacity?

Hi all,

I am contemplating the idea of trading my 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara for a new X1 xDrive28. I traded a 2006 X3 for the Jeep but after having the Jeep for four months, I can't stand how it drives. The way it drives has made me hate the thing. It wanders all over the place at highway speeds, and it is difficult to drive straight without constanlty correcting or constant steering input. Brakes are mushy!

I really miss how a BMW drives. Please be kind to me and don't hit me too hard on the back of my head for doing such an unwise move.

Anyway, I have a 18' Trophy fishing boat that I tow with the Jeep. The boat is right around 3,400 lbs including trailer with brakes. I can't seem to find any information on tow ratings for the X1 with the 4 cylinder engine, except for a brochure I found for the German market, in, of course, German. I think I was able to translate that the X1 was rated at 750kg "unbraked trailer", 1,653lbs and 2000kg "braked trailer", 4,409lbs.

Is this correct? Does anyone knows?

I want to order an X1 in Mineral grey met with the M Sport pack, 19" wheels, heated seats, servo and HK audio. I can't seem to find any value on any of the other packages.

Not being able to tow would be a deal breaker. I am only looking into the X1 because of value, efficiency and size. The X3 seems to miss the mark for what I am looking for. The 328 wagon is significantly more expensive for almost the same vehicle and options as the X1, so a no go as well.

Anyone else has any information?

Last edited by jpass12; 07-22-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Advertisement
Old 07-23-2012, 09:42 AM

No replies? I guess we are on the same boat.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 E36M/4
750kg/2000kg are the values I've seen published as well. Although nothing official from BMW USA yet, I think it's safe to assume that the capacities will be similar if not exact, but the published value will be likely be the more conservative 750kg to protect those who don't understand the requirement for brakes on trailers greater than 750kg.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:58 AM

That is what I was thinking.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X1, 2012 Q5
I'm sorry to hear about your Jeep experience. I've always admired Jeeps, but I've avoided them for the very issues you've mentioned.

I'm sorry, but I cannot comment on the towing capacity. I know this is a little off topic, and I hope I'm not pointing out something you already know, but you might want to take a harder look at the 19" wheel upgrade. I was considering the 19" upgrade myself until I started looking at possible replacement tires. There simply aren't many options available. Like the standard 18" setup on the M Sport, the 19's are staggered performance tires, and finding both sizes in the same tire model is difficult with choices being both limited and pricey. And unlike the 18's, I couldn't find any all-season tires in the correct fitment at all, so the option of changing to longer-wearing all-seasons later may not even be possible. Adding to my concern is the expected compromise in ride quality and greater potential for wheel damage. The sidewall on the 18's is approximately 4". That drops to a rubber band-like 3" with 19's. That's a risky proposition for our pocked Michigan roads. I love the idea of the staggered fitment, and the 19's look stunning on the X1, but to me the improved appearance just isn't worth it.

Best of luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MSport18.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	333953   Click image for larger version

Name:	MSport19.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	333954  

Last edited by HotRodW; 07-23-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:43 PM

Excellent advice. My previous X3 had the M sport and 18" wheels with non-RFT's and the ride was a little harsh. I can only imagine the same setup with RFT's, I'm sure it would be like riding on a suspension made out of granite.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Right now I don't believe BMW is officially supporting towing in the US for the X1. It *should* have a towing capacity comparable to the E91 as it based on the same chassis. But if BMW doesn't offer a hitch you'd have to get an aftermarket one.

Tim
Old 11-29-2013, 04:15 PM

Mein Auto: Voiture du jour
Interesting thread, and I am curious of the outcome. For whatever reason BMW N/A does not apply the same rules for towing as the home market, and this will likely have an effect on warranty and the availability of tow bars. I have the same issue with my '07 530xi Touring. Seriously weigh the need and evaluate what is done to you by the M-Sport package as well. On cars (as opposed to SUVs) the M Sport package changes the rear diffuser which in turn means no easy hitch mount. Does it affect the roof rails? The only aftermarket hitch in North America for mine (Hutch) bolts onto the tire well (holes drilled), and I would shy away from this. If you have access to Europe, there are bumper bar replacement hitches (bolt on) that I would physically trust a lot more.

The physical capabilities of the X1 are no different than the European model. Even a 1 series sedan can tow a small trailer.

I believe (unconfirmed) that the reason may be North American laws regarding a bolt-on bumper bar compromising 5MPH capability of the bumpers. I would be great if somebody in the know would confirm or deny? The X1 is a lot lower than the X3 and much less of a truck, so this may come into play as well.

Anyhow, it has been over a year since your original post, so I am curious of the outcome.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:59 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2012 X3
Just now seeing this revived thread. I may have responded to some of these questions in various other threads, but here is most everything I know about the North American towing capacity of the X1...

First, our company is a supplier of OE hitches to BMW and, in certain countries where BMW markets the X1 as a tow vehicle, we supply BMW with its X1 hitch.

As the original poster pointed out, the X1 is tow rated by BMW for 2000kg (4,400 lbs). This tow rating is shown on BMW's specifications for the vehicle in all countries where BMW markets the X1 as a tow vehicle.

The 4,400 pound tow rating is based on the use of a zero-play Euro style hitch, such as the invisihitch. Euro style hitches do not use a sliding tube with a cross pin to secure a ballmount because that style of attachment introduces forward/aft play into the tow connection. A Euro-style hitch, in addition to being invisible on the vehicle when not in use, utilizes a positive latching mechanism to secure a ballmount. This "tight to the chassis" tow connection results in a higher towing capacity. Or perhaps a better way of saying it is that the designed towing capacity of the vehicle is not degraded by introducing play in the tow connection.

Unfortunately, BMWNA elects to market the X1 as a non-towing vehicle. So you will not see the X1 tow rating published by BMWNA. Please note that this is a marketing decision by BMWNA, not a reflection of any technical constraint of the North American version of the X1. The chassis of the North American X1 is identical to that of all other international versions of the X1, and the engines/transmissions of the North American version are the largest offered worldwide.

Given BMWNA's marketing decision, all hitches for the X1 in North America are considered "aftermarket" hitches. There are a few different ones available, but only the invisihitch was crash tested by BMW and is sold by BMW in other countries as its OE hitch for the X1. Also, only the invisihitch is rated for the fulll 4,400 pound towing capacity of the X1. You can confidently add the invisihitch to the North American X1 without affecting your warranty.

The invisihitch is a bolt-on design. The hitch beam replaces the lighter-weight bumper bar behind the rear fascia. This is per BMW's worldwide hitch specs; it is the same type of hitch design that BMWNA offers on the X3 and X5. It passes the 5mph bump tests. And in more severe rear-end collisions, the hitch beam engages the crumple zones of the vehicle in the same way that the original factory bumper bar does. None of the above applies to other aftermarket hitches that attach (at least in part) to an undercarriage frame member of the vehicle. BMW does not approve or offer that style of hitch anywhere in the world.

I hope this is helpful information without being overly "salesy". As I mentioned, we are a hitch supplier to BMW so I am familiar with BMW's safety and testing requirements for its hitches, as well as its tow ratings.

Cheers,
Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com
Old 12-04-2013, 03:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 XDrive X1 28i
One of the first things I did after buying my 2014 X1 XDrive 28i was take a deep series of breaths to steel myself about taking apart my new car, then took off the rear bumper fascia to mount an Invisihitch. Did the work myself, took my time, had a little help with a couple of questions from the Invisihitch folks via phone, and put it all back together. Very pleased with the results.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	410976