Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 550i Gran Tursimo
The future of the GT?....Hydrogen Fuel Cell?

Interesting read and article on BMWBlog site on a "prototype" BMW is developing/testing...no less on a 5 Series GT! Check it out and thoughts?

http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/07/02/bm...l-first-drive/

Advertisement
Old 07-02-2015, 10:32 AM

Mein Auto: 435 vert & X5
Saw that. Will be just in time for a MY20 trade.

Gary J
ED May 6, 2014 thread
435i Convertible Estoril Blue. Dakota Black/Blue M Sport
plus pretty much everything else but Parking Assistant
Old 07-02-2015, 02:01 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT; i3 BEV
One recent interview indicated that BMW thinks the fuel cells are at least two generations away from being really viable in large-scale production...they seemed to think it would be later than 2020 before they were ready. Time will tell. One report indicated that there is a design to produce H2 locally at facilities around the same size as a typical gas station. H2 is expensive to move around because it is both hard to contain and extremely cold which tends to make things brittle. The energy required to compress it into anything close to being efficient storage is significant, too, so when you look at the production of it, it may not be particularly green. Using it, on the other hand, is about as environmentally clean as you can get...H2O as the output. STripping out the oxygen from water, or the carbon from hydro-carbon fuels to get native H2 takes a fair amount of energy, and can have bad by-products (CO2, if you get the hydrogen from either natural gas or other hydrocarbons).

Bottom line, you have to look at the whole production cycle to truly evaluate any fuel's environmental impact and usefulness.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW M6 F13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
One recent interview indicated that BMW thinks the fuel cells are at least two generations away from being really viable in large-scale production..
That's funny that they think that considering that Toyota is already pushing fuel cell vehicles starting with the Mirai this year....
Old 07-06-2015, 01:12 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT; i3 BEV
We'll see how well the Toyota works...plus, it may be that some of that reluctance is related to profitability (Toyota is lots larger) and the infrastructure to enable it to be used. Toyota has a very limited area where they are going to offer their car. BMW likes to fill a full market, not a small, segmented one. It is not unusual to have a vehicle like that a loss leader...that's not in BMW's perview. It takes time to work out the kinks, make them more efficient, and more easily mass producible. It took BMW a number of years to work out the details to build their I-series cars, and from all reports, they are doing it profitably.