Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:06 AM
Rogue2258

Mein Auto: 2010 550i GT, 2011 535i
Oil temp, What's too hot??

Our engine oil temperature in our 550 GT w/N63 engine runs 225 degrees when outside temperatures are below 70 degrees. If the outside temperature is warm our 550's oil temperature is 250 degrees. The needle is straight up. Our 535 never runs this hot.

Is this the same temperature fellow 550i owner's are experiencing?

Friends I am concerned about this heat. Any recommendations on how to pull this oil temperature down? I came to you guys first. I have been ignoring my concern hoping this is normal, but these temperatures have cause me to worry about the long term health of the N63 engine in my 550.
Advertisement
Old 03-14-2014, 11:18 AM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
It is rare that we drive more than 30 min anywhere at one time. That being said I can honestly tell you I do not know where the indicator spends most of its time (other than at 140F when off). I can tell you I would have noticed if it got above 250F as my experience from previous cars was to notice when an indicator creeps past middle. If you look at an oil temperature chart you will notice most synthetics accommodate 250F as acceptable operating conditions (albeit that is upper end of normal operating limits). I've attached a chart I found. Better still is this article where someone tested oils: http://www.speedtalk.com/forum/viewt...hp?f=1&t=31363

Oil burnoff does not start occurring until 282F for Castrol Edge according to that website study.
Near the end it is stated that oil should be in an operating range of 220-250F; looks like you have less to worry about.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	427967
Old 03-14-2014, 01:25 PM
Rogue2258

Mein Auto: 2010 550i GT, 2011 535i
Daders-Thank you sir for the excellent article. I have used only Mobil 1 since the early 90's. There was an advertisement by Mobil in which they ran a Taurus 100,000 or 200,000 miles on Mobil 1 Sythetic . They tore the engine down and there was virtually no wear on the cam. Obviously now I am using the BMW Sythetic. I asked our dealer to grab an oil sample for me so that I may send it to a friend who has access to oil testing equipment. The oil that came out at our recommended 18,000 interval looks awful. Just seeing the condition of the oil started my wheels turning as to what the health of our N63 engines are running at 250 degrees. After reading the article I feel much, much better. I put a bit of a rushed thread out because of my built up concern, but the awesome informative information I consistently receive from you fellas is greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking timenout of your day to educate me.

Last edited by Rogue2258; 03-14-2014 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-14-2014, 02:07 PM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
no worries, any thing to ease the angst as I know I can work myself up into a frenzy over some minor things...plus it's Friday what else is there to do

Interestingly when I picked ours up today I had a discussion with my SA about oil change frequency and oil consumption in our engine and also the old M5 V10 engines. He was stating that with the advent of everything going turbo BMW is now stating as low as 1500 mi as acceptable for a 1qt consumption rate of oil. Which led to our discussing oil change frequency since I asked if BMW would match our GT's recommendation (currently 15,000mi) to the new 10,000mi. Response was no! But he did also qualify that with the caveat that the 10,000 applies to a newer engine (I guess maybe a TU engine?). Either way I plan on halving the recommended interval for oil changes on our GT and am considering purchasing one of those oil plugs with a Neodymium magnet to collect metals and keep them (as much as possible) out of the rest of the engine. Not convinced yet it's necessary, particularly if the person changing the oil doesn't clean the plug.

Finally, he also made an interesting statement that matches my short experience with our GT. It was that he recommends people drive their vehicles harder, these engines seem to thrive when driven more aggressively (I'm thinking to myself...until catastrophic failure ). However, to second his statement: as the wife has almost become the sole driver (she is definitely a more aggressive driver than I am on average) the rough idling I mentioned in another thread is nearly nonexistent and I've noticed less carbon buildup on the exhaust tips.