Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 & 2012 X35d
The nav system is too funny

I have seen quite a few complaints about the NAV system here. The maps are truly pathetic (for example, in my area they show railroad tracks that were removed 15 years ago and that do not show up on my 8 year old Garmin, my neighborhood has a second entrance that would lead through the backyard of a neighbor...).

Now we went on our first longer trip. The routing was hilarious. Between two cities in SC (3 hour drive), the system wanted me to go to Wilmington, NC first. 9 hours drive time for a 3 hour trip!!!!
And no, no strange settings (like avoid swimming across rivers etc.).

I had to drive ~ 20 min in the right direction before the system magically changed the route to the correct one.

I must say that I feel cheated by BMW for putting such an outdated and faulty system in their cars.
Advertisement
Old 07-23-2012, 01:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: German
Yup, iDrive is nice, but it can be dumb. I just mute it and use the Google Navigation on my Galaxy SIII as a backup. It works well sometimes, and other times, it sends you in the longest way possible
Old 07-23-2012, 04:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35d loaded
Mine works well for 99% of the time... NJ, NY tri-state area, ocassional trips upstate NY, MA, Canada, etc.
Previous : 2010 335xi Monaco Blue/Black with just about every option...
Previous : 2008 X5 4.8i Space Gray/Black with just about every option...
Old 07-23-2012, 04:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
I have had no issues with the Nav at all, maybe because I send all destinations thru Google Maps to the car first, but every Nav I have had will always send you thru New York City for any destination in that area even though there are much better routes, years ago I made the mistake of following the nav thru the Lincoln Tunnel to get to Long Island, ended up in NYC in a " gridlock alert" took approx 2 hours to go six blocks to get to I 495
Old 07-23-2012, 05:27 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Mine works great, unless I am driving on roads I know...then it sucks.

BMW went with Teleatlas, who is a second tier data service in the USA.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:22 PM

Mein Auto: X5 5.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Mine works great, unless I am driving on roads I know...then it sucks.

BMW went with Teleatlas, who is a second tier data service in the USA.
X2. I don't want to go back to TomTom with my 2012 like I did with my 2008 but the last run through OK, AR, and TN has me worried.

2012 X5 5.0i
2008 X5 4.8i
Old 07-23-2012, 07:49 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Funny. My dad's 2010 X5 has sat nav and it worked extremely well with great detail in Greenville, SC. I chuckled and told my parents "I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that the BMW factory is just down the road?"

No I'm serious. Every exit in the region had ramp/sign view and the lane guidance was spot on, as was the diagrams, which updated in real time when crossing confusing intersections.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35i
Only hiccup I have with the NAV is when I have "Avoid Toll Roads" option checked. Otherwise, it works like a charm.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:07 AM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Funny. My dad's 2010 X5 has sat nav and it worked extremely well with great detail in Greenville, SC. I chuckled and told my parents "I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that the BMW factory is just down the road?"

No I'm serious. Every exit in the region had ramp/sign view and the lane guidance was spot on, as was the diagrams, which updated in real time when crossing confusing intersections.
Does he have the newer iDrive?
Old 07-24-2012, 07:01 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Yup. His is a 02/10 build. Traffic info works well in all respects as well. Too bad neither of my parents know much about the features and operation of the system.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:11 AM

I am less than 2 hours away from Greenville (i.e., too far away) and the map coverage sucks.

It also will not let me go though the regular entrance/exit of my neighborhood that has been there since 1997. It insists that I drive through the backyard of a neighbor (small former road that was closed in 1997, too).
POIs are really an issue, too. My car is less than 7 months old, but the NAV does not know most restaurants here that were built 5 years ago, but it still has places that closed 4 years ago....

Both my Garmin and my friend's TomTom (we tested it yesterday) have no issues around here.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:46 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
IMO, it is the crappy TeleAtlas DATA that causes these issues...NOT the base navigation system.

Crappy TA maps in a Mk4 nav, and old idrive or a new idrive will be bad...

Indeed, the old navtech maps were better than the first TA discs... I am not at all surprised that teleatlas made an extraordinary effort to have perfect data around the BMW plant, lest an executive get smacked in the face with the consequence of their bad decision.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:57 AM
um, i dunno

Mein Auto: 08 535xi
Today my delightful nav system took me on a six mile trip down a beautiful country road to the end, where I was advised to turn around and go all the way back down the same road I just traveled, past my office to an intersection that I would have reached in 15 seconds had I just been told to make a turn from the office. 6+ miles to go to a destination that was 1.4 miles from my office. I called BMWUSA today and told them that the nav system is terrible. I complained for about 20 minutes to some poor guy who must have been rolling his eyes at my whining...
Old 07-26-2012, 11:07 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

+1 on Teleatlas versus Navteq. Although I am in the minority when I say the BMW system is acceptable, I've heard from computer friends who say that "TeleAtlas will eventually get you to your destination A to B via points C-F"

I recently got a new gray-market Nokia E6 which comes with navigation maps from Navteq already pre-loaded for the whole world. I've been trying it out lately for trips and the telemetry and accuracy is spot-on, and the speed limits and associated warnings, even when set in km/h (the correct units), are right about 85% of the time.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:03 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

I've posted this before..

the problem with the teleatlas dataset is that there is more to any GPS map than 'road'...there is hidden, embedded info like 'one way', 'can turn left here' or 'road is not connected across a RR crossing, etc'

The last a local problem of mine, since 2010...reported annually...never fixed.

The routing algortihms are only as good as the dat they get- which is why you get these reports of stupid routing in some areas, and perfectly fine in other. The problem, of course, is that you really dont need the nav in those areas where you know the roads enought to know it is routing well...the opposite is sadly the case.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:31 PM

Mein Auto: X5 5.0i
This was my first visit to my dealer with the 2012 5.0i that I bought one year ago. Everything on my list was routine but I did complain that the maps in the nav continued to disappoint even getting to the dealer near where I live much less on the open road.

The tech's response which was repeated by one of the dealer managers (not service manager) was that "accuracy is controlled by the defense department". I insisted my quest for not for pinpointing GPS or the refresh rate based on how many satellites the the vendor contracted, but that the actual maps in my 2012 (Teleatlas) are inferior to those on the dvd in my 2008 X5 (Navteq).

The conversation ended with the manager telling me to call BMW customer relations but that sounds like a waste of time to me but I may try to put in a call before a major flying trip this Wednesday.

2012 X5 5.0i
2008 X5 4.8i
Old 09-22-2012, 10:56 AM

I had contacted BMW of NA about this. The reply I received was we are sorry, but we could not care less. Pease report all the errors you find, in other words, spend time working for us for free for a product you purchased already from us so we can charge you for an update later that will not include the fixes to the errors you reported.

At least now that I updated to IOS6, I have maps on my IPhone that suck even more than the BMW maps....
Old 09-22-2012, 02:08 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSnV1 View Post

The tech's response which was repeated by one of the dealer managers (not service manager) was that "accuracy is controlled by the defense department".
Idiots or liars.....

Quote:

I insisted my quest for not for pinpointing GPS or the refresh rate based on how many satellites the the vendor contracted, but that the actual maps in my 2012 (Teleatlas) are inferior to those on the dvd in my 2008 X5 (Navteq).
The accuracy is a reference to the FACT that originally the defense depqrtment had Selective Availability (SA) which reduced the inhernet positional accuracy on all 'non military' receivers. This was eliminated in 2000 by Bill Clinton, and remains the situation to this date

The BMW system knows PRECISELY where it is- the problem is you are being placed onto innaccurate maps....