Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 07-22-2012, 10:02 AM

Mein Auto: Vehicle
P0411 Troubleshooting questions

My mom got the following code. I cleared it but it came back on.

After lengthy research I found the following info.

http://www.bavauto.com/newsletter/20...newsletter.pdf

I ran the car this morning and SAP is definitively pushing air out/working (for first 10 sec or so....it's about 70 out today).

So I tried blowing air into the valve and I seem to be getting some air thru (hard to tell though).

I wanted to try 2nd test but noticed our 2006 does not have that little vacuum hose on the SAP Air Valve.

I'm kind of stuck. I would like to troubleshoot but can't really do much without that vacuum nipple.

Did 2006 M54 SAP Air Valve change to ECU controlled?

What's the best way to troubleshoot this?

TIA
Ads by Google
Old 07-22-2012, 03:21 PM

Mein Auto: X5 3.0i
What is the last 7 to your VIN?

Maybe I can pull up some better information for you. I know that after 80K miles that parts of the Air pump vacuum control system can fail or the lines can clog up or become brittle enough to break.

Mud~
Old 07-22-2012, 03:57 PM

Thx

It's LY35309

Car has 45k miles on it. Again there is no little vacuum nipple/hose near Sec Air Pump Valve (which is weird) and no vacuum hoses in that area.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:02 PM

I believe this is what your looking for. This is the Emission conrol unit.

Can you give a little more description as to the issues. With two bolts on it, have you tried pulling it to check it out? I haven't had much time to look into this today sorry.

14 Valve 1 10/2003 11727508049
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	192.png
Views:	149
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	333866  
Old 07-23-2012, 04:28 AM

The car seems fine, it just throws the code P0411. I cleared it once, it came back on. Maybe it won't come back on again.

If I take this unit off, how should I test it/what should I do?
Old 07-23-2012, 12:04 PM

From the sound of it, the engine isn't receiving the proper fuel to air mixture during start-up. And may run fine once at running temperature.

That unit looks like an EGR, unusually sometimes that can get clogged, I'd buy a new gasket, remove it and check for carbon blockage, if you suspect it to be bad, I'd just replace the unit. I'd check the hose as well for clogging or limited flow from carbon build up. Check to make sure non of your fuses are blown for the air injection pump it connects from.

From what I have researched and read so far, most of the majority of the real codes are PO410 or PO412, and PO411 is difficult to find, however I did find it and it said just that.

PO411 - Secondary Air Injection System - Incorrect Flow Detect.

I suspect that the air fuel ration is incorrect in most cases during start up only. Even though the air injection pump can fail as well as clogging within the secondary system line or valve.

I found these items and hope they might be of some good reading as well. I hope someone else might be able to help place their two cents in.

http://mygtcs.com/mustang/documents/...%20Monitor.pdf

*(Even though it's mustang based, it's the same principal/opperation and code values of cause)

http://www.endtuning.com/obdcodes.html *(Good Code Reading)

This is what I would do if I had this issue...

1) Remove the valve and inspect it for carbon build up (buy a replacement gasket 1st) and possibly replacing it. Part number 11727508049 Hard to say how to really test this model.

2) Check for any blown fuse and check correct for correct operation of the air injection pump.
3) Buy some MAF Cleaner (found at any local auto parts supply) Remove your MAF sensor and clean it. Checking for dirt on the electrode etc.

Good Luck... Hope this is helps.

Mud~

Last edited by Mudnyrey; 07-23-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:36 AM

I'm gonna try some of these and keep you posted. I really appreciate your input!

Thanks!!!