Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-23-2012, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: Cars
Samsung Galaxy S3 Bluetooth issues

Hey guys. I have a 2011 328i and my S3 will connect, but less than 30 seconds into the cal, it will either disconnect and drop the call or disconnect and go back to working on the handset. I also need to pair the phone (enter the passkey and everything) every time I get back in the car. I have 2 other cars that pair and connect without problems. I checked and there does not appear to be a firmware update for my car.

Anyone able to get this phone to behave properly with a BMW? Thanks for any help you can provide!
Ads by Google
Old 07-23-2012, 04:37 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Teris, I saw post over in the E90post bluetooth forum with somebody who has a S3 and has had no problems. But, from what I can see, he is in Australia. So, he likely has a GSM international version of the phone.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...?t=216&page=33

Below, in the thread about ICS and Motorola there is a post from a fellow with a Verizon S3 who has not been able to connect.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=634387

Last edited by Kilgore Trout; 07-23-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:56 PM

Thanks very much, Kilgore! I've tried just about everything I can find with no luck. So frustrating to have a car like this and a brand new phone and not be able to connect! My P.O.S. 2007 Prius connects without any problem at all. Ugh!
Old 07-24-2012, 01:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i 6MT
When I pair my S3 with my 2011 328i, it has difficulty trying to get the address book.

If I look at the phone, it has a message saying something about the BMW trying to get the address book, allow or not? I missed that message a few times at first but eventually I said "allow." Well after trying for awhile, the car eventually drops the connection.

So now I don't allow it to get the phone book and at least I have a manual bluetooth connection so I can still use my phone, just without the phone book.

Let me know if you come up with a solution.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihoole View Post
When I pair my S3 with my 2011 328i, it has difficulty trying to get the address book.

If I look at the phone, it has a message saying something about the BMW trying to get the address book, allow or not? I missed that message a few times at first but eventually I said "allow." Well after trying for awhile, the car eventually drops the connection.

So now I don't allow it to get the phone book and at least I have a manual bluetooth connection so I can still use my phone, just without the phone book.

Let me know if you come up with a solution.
Interesting, nihoole. Where do you see that message on the S3? I haven't noticed that before. Does your phone reconnect automatically when you get int the car or do you have to reconnect every time (like I do)?
Old 07-24-2012, 10:52 AM

Mein Auto: E61
I have the same issue with my '06 530 wagon.

I have a 2006 530 wagon and have had no problems with the iPhone for the last 4 years. And like others, when connecting my new T-mobile Galaxy S3 asks for permission to let my wagon access the address book but it never does.

We need to manually make calls from the phone. I've seen that newer BMWs seem to work OK so maybe it is a matter of a software upgrade for the car?
Old 07-24-2012, 10:54 AM

Thanks for the reply, Jeffrey. I checked bmw.com and it shows I have the most recent software. I thought for sure there would have been an update by now, but there isn't.

Last edited by Teris; 07-24-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328Xi
Teris, perhaps you want to try this and see if it works.. If it does not, you only lose $1.37.

Bluetooth Keepalive - No more disconnects, if android falls asleep.
Please remember: This Software "only" resolves a problem with standyby. Before buying please test if BTKA works for you!
Old 07-24-2012, 11:51 AM

Thanks, Matrix. I actually tried that a few days ago. No luck...
Old 07-24-2012, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teris View Post
Hey guys. I have a 2011 328i and my S3 will connect, but less than 30 seconds into the cal, it will either disconnect and drop the call or disconnect and go back to working on the handset. I also need to pair the phone (enter the passkey and everything) every time I get back in the car. I have 2 other cars that pair and connect without problems. I checked and there does not appear to be a firmware update for my car.

Anyone able to get this phone to behave properly with a BMW? Thanks for any help you can provide!
I had problems with my Bluetec that are similar to several that have been noted so far in this thread.Recently,on an MB site,someone posted this solution....with my Samsung Droid Charge when the phone first couples with the car the phone asks for some kind of permission to transmit data and gives an audio signal of that prompt.I always thought the signal was just an acknowledgement of pairing but it wasn't.I unpaired the car and the phone so they didn't recognize each other at all and then I re-paired them.During the process my phone *quickly* displayed this request and had a checkbox that gave permenent permission,and I checked it.Result....phone now pairs reliably every time and the phonebook downloads nicely (it didn't download *at all* before).All problems solved!

N.B.,I think this only applies to Samsung Droid phones but I'm far from certain of that.

Last edited by listerone; 07-24-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:31 PM

The message comes up on the S3 (silently - at least for me) which is why I missed it the first few times.

When I refuse to give the car access to the phone book, it stays connected although all cals have to be made manually thereafter. It reconnects automatically everytime I enter the car.

Quote:
Interesting, nihoole. Where do you see that message on the S3? I haven't noticed that before. Does your phone reconnect automatically when you get int the car or do you have to reconnect every time (like I do)?
Old 07-24-2012, 04:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328d
Quote:
Originally Posted by nihoole View Post
When I refuse to give the car access to the phone book, it stays connected although all cals have to be made manually thereafter. It reconnects automatically everytime I enter the car.
You're lucky...the fact that I was unknowingly denying access to the phone book was causing annoying connection problems as well.And BTW...just curious...why would you deny access to the phone book?
Old 07-24-2012, 06:03 PM

So I tried denying access to the phone book and it worked! I need to initiate all calls from my S3, but at least it pairs and connects. Still annoying that with a BMW and a band new phone, it won't connect properly. Thanks everyone for your responses!
Old 07-24-2012, 07:09 PM

Well, as I said in a previous post, if I give my car access to the phone book it keeps trying until it drops the connection all together. Then every time I enter the car it asks me to pair a new phone all over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerone View Post
You're lucky...the fact that I was unknowingly denying access to the phone book was causing annoying connection problems as well.And BTW...just curious...why would you deny access to the phone book?
Old 07-26-2012, 04:24 PM

As a follow-up, does anyone know if it's possible to load contacts via USB into the BMW phone system? Thanks!
Old 07-26-2012, 05:30 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:
As a follow-up, does anyone know if it's possible to load contacts via USB into the BMW phone system? Thanks!
That is not possible, unfortunately.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:39 PM

So just wanna know, currently I use BB 9800 and its working perfectly with the BMW. Would you recommend me switch over to S3 knowing the problem listed?
Old 07-26-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrixolution View Post
So just wanna know, currently I use BB 9800 and its working perfectly with the BMW. Would you recommend me switch over to S3 knowing the problem listed?
Kinda depends how much you want the S3.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:45 AM

The only thing that is holding me back from getting the S3 is the lack of multiple Push Emails support and the BT Integration with the BMW...

Other than that, i'm all for it..
Old 07-27-2012, 09:05 AM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Why wouldn't it support push? I have had multiple Android devices, each of which worked fine with gmail, yahoo, and exchange, all push. In some cases, you need to download an app from the market.

Not as flawless as BES, but nothing is.

The BT issues would be a deal break for me though. I don't make many calls in the car, but when I need it, it must be there.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:20 PM

I just want to keep you posted. I decided to bite the bullet. I pull the trigger and bought myself the S3.

One word, it works perfectly with my BMW. I had no issue with BT connection. I'm able to sync all my contact list and call history over.
I'm able to setup Push email with my company exchange. Not so much luck with my personal Rogers email (but who cares). Sorry, there are more than one word.

i'm liking it now. Need some time to adjust to the keyboardless phone though.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:37 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

You guys seem to be assuming that all Galaxy S3's are the same. There have been lots of reports on the net about folk getting the Samsung Nexus to pair fine in the CDMA version, but also reports of problems with the GSM version. I have no idea why but it is at least theoretically possible that the Verizon version would work whereas the versions on AT&T and Tmobile might not.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
You guys seem to be assuming that all Galaxy S3's are the same. There have been lots of reports on the net about folk getting the Samsung Nexus to pair fine in the CDMA version, but also reports of problems with the GSM version. I have no idea why but it is at least theoretically possible that the Verizon version would work whereas the versions on AT&T and Tmobile might not.
There was a time when the reverse was true - Verizon versions of Palm Treo smartphones would not pair but CellularOne versions (same model number, just released on CellularOne) would. Verizon got slammed over cheaping out their version. Sounds like someone else may be repeating the experience.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
Unfortunately, my S3 is on Verizon so that theory about CDMA versions pairing better than others has not been the case for me.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335i Metallic BL
I just bought s3 and had no problems syncing up with my 335i although I finally realized it asking me about the contacts and emails. Is there anyway to listen to audio from s3 through the BT? Sure would be nice because I haven't figured out how to get heart radio and pandora on the i drive. Any help is appreciated. Also anyone in Atlanta area that could help boosting some extra power and torque in atl.
thanks