Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-30-2012, 10:51 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by nihoole View Post
Unfortunately, my S3 is on Verizon so that theory about CDMA versions pairing better than others has not been the case for me.
Just to be clear, I've read reports that the CDMA version of the Nexus works better with the BMW than the GSM version.

From what I can gather, the exact opposite is true with the S3. Those folk who have good luck pairing it with the BMW have mostly had the GSM version (from what I can see).

I honestly have no idea why the type of radio in the phone (GSM vs. LTE vs. CDMA, etc) would even matter for BT performance.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:51 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlbmxracer View Post
I just bought s3 and had no problems syncing up with my 335i although I finally realized it asking me about the contacts and emails. Is there anyway to listen to audio from s3 through the BT? Sure would be nice because I haven't figured out how to get heart radio and pandora on the i drive. Any help is appreciated. Also anyone in Atlanta area that could help boosting some extra power and torque in atl.
thanks
Is your S3 CDMA or GSM?
Old 07-31-2012, 06:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328Xi
My S3 is GSM / LTE.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:52 AM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrixolution View Post
My S3 is GSM / LTE.
Thanks.

The plot thickens.

Verizon's S3 is a no go with BMW BT implementation. International and Canada GSM versions seem to be fine.

Draw your own conclusions re Tmobile and Sprint, etc.

Last edited by Kilgore Trout; 07-31-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:33 PM

Mein Auto: 335i 6 sp
Well good news everyone.

I was looking at my Google Contacts and found lots of incomplete (no name) contacts as well as lots of duplicates. Don't know how that happened, but I guess switching phones, iOS, Outlook, etc. - it needed to be cleaned up.

Although it took awhile, I managed to clean it all up. I removed the S3 from my car's bluetooth list and did a repair with my phone again. This time it connected right away and loaded the entire contact list without problems.

Everytime I get in the car, it's connected solid as a rock!

Hope this helps those of you with connection issues.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:16 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Thanks for posting that! It is probably going to help a lot of us down the road. I had been seriously considering this phone myself but was holding off because of the BT concern.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to Caretaker007
Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MSport
My Verizon S3 has random behavior. I have tried pairing and unpairing many times with different results.

I am always able to make and receive calls through iDrive (CIC) when paired. Address book is getting synced but it takes awhile, name and number(s). Although one time it never asked for permission to access the contacts so the address book didn't get synced. I thought the received/redial list wasn't getting synced, but I noticed today that only the calls sent and received through iDrive are showing up on these list.

I did have one good surprise. A new feature compared to my old phone. I had my SMS messages showing up in the the Messages menu, but only once

When I go in for my service check in 1500 miles. I will ask about having the software updated.

Just FYI, I am coming from the Droid Incredible, which had calls and address book
Old 08-01-2012, 07:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335i Metallic BL
S3 is a CDMA

Quote:
I just bought s3 and had no problems syncing up with my 335i although I finally realized it asking me about the contacts and emails. Is there anyway to listen to audio from s3 through the BT? Sure would be nice because I haven't figured out how to get heart radio and pandora on the i drive. Any help is appreciated. Also anyone in Atlanta area that could help boosting some extra power and torque in atl.
thanks
above is my comment. My S3 says its a CDMA. Anyway now to use for heart radio and pandora?
thanks,
Old 08-01-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
above is my comment. My S3 says its a CDMA. Anyway now to use for heart radio and pandora?
thanks,
I've heard that getting Pandora to work even with an Iphone and the BMW Apps can be a challenge. I have neither so I've never tried.

What is "heart radio?"
Old 08-27-2012, 03:36 AM

Mein Auto: e90
Glad to see others having issues like me but this must have been the strangest week i have had in my e90, my BT in my car and my SG3 seems to lock the entire radio and interface up. It connects fine but then stays connected (like the display you get in a call), radio, no buttons, settings etc work at all.

I am unsure what version i am on and i do not have a usb interface or idrive, do you know if its possible to upgrade the bluetooth software myself or must i take it to the dealer.

If turn engine off remove key etc it stays connected (for around 30mins) then eventually drops the call / connection. If i turn bluetooth off the connection stops.

I am a bit amazed that without the key, engine cut etc the BT remains connected, even when locking the car etc.

Deleting the pair and pairing results in the same thing, complete lock up. Iphone and blackberry are fine.

I thought my TCU had gone but my BT works with iphone and blackberry

It only happened last week, it was working perfectly fine previously.

Anyone any ideas ?
Old 12-24-2012, 10:20 AM
Boom335

Mein Auto: 335i XDrive
Quote:
Well good news everyone.

I was looking at my Google Contacts and found lots of incomplete (no name) contacts as well as lots of duplicates. Don't know how that happened, but I guess switching phones, iOS, Outlook, etc. - it needed to be cleaned up.

Although it took awhile, I managed to clean it all up. I removed the S3 from my car's bluetooth list and did a repair with my phone again. This time it connected right away and loaded the entire contact list without problems.

Everytime I get in the car, it's connected solid as a rock!

Hope this helps those of you with connection issues.

What year is your model? Mine is an 09 335i & i've been having the same issue (it pairs but drops in a few seconds) with my Galaxy S3.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:37 PM

I have a 2011 328i (build date Sept 2011). It's not the car or your phone dude. It's your contact list!
Old 01-15-2013, 01:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 535
Angry Verizon Galaxy S3 won't connect to 2012 535i

I've loaded each BMW firmware update as soon as I spotted it in the hope that it would cure the Bluetooth connection problem between the phone and car but no luck so far. The connection is established and the phone begins to sync the phone book with the car and then the connection is lost. The connection is re-established a number of times until finally the car deletes the pairing altogether and requests to pair a phone. I've tried the "Bluetooth Keepalive" app and that didn't help either.

Its difficult to understand why BMW would not try harder to make sure that one of the most if not the most popular smartphone sold in the US works flawlessly with its cars! Instead, BMW seems to focus its firmware updates on old model iPhones.

I have a Jabra Bluetooth Handsfree in another car and it pairs perfectly with the S3!
Old 02-20-2013, 08:41 AM

Mein Auto: BLT335xi, e92 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teris View Post
So I tried denying access to the phone book and it worked! I need to initiate all calls from my S3, but at least it pairs and connects. Still annoying that with a BMW and a band new phone, it won't connect properly. Thanks everyone for your responses!
How did this compare to when you upgraded to Jelly Bean. I don't have the option to deny access but only "Ok" and "Cancel" If I keep hitting cancel it just pops back up....

Quote:
What carrier do you have? I cleaned mine up and am still having the same issues....
BMWCCA #489063

The BLT335xi - '11 BMW 335xi, M-Sport, Convenience, Premium, H/K sound, iDrive

Previous Rides:
'13 Cadillac ATS - Fired
'09 BMW 328xi - KIA by Bambi, reincarnated in Michigan
'11 Ford Fusion SEL
'08 Honda Accord Coupe
'01 Saab 9-3 2.0T
Old 09-29-2013, 09:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328ix
2013 BMW 328IX Sport Bluetooth connection problems

Ok guys I have the answer to fixing the problem. I went on this form I finally figured out what the problem was. I did anything and everything from deleting the phone in my car settings and in my phone several times. I took the car to BMW for software upgrade and replaced my GALAXY S4 to another GALAXY S4. I was having same problems. But last night I was reading threw this form and one person had said something that was simple that I did not try. When the phone is connected to Bluetooth your phone asked for contacts to be moved to your car. Say no to this option every time. This will do the trick for you. Its that simple..... I would like to know if this works for others. GOOD LUCK.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535xi
I got the Samsung Galaxy SIII Mini running on Jelly Bean on AT&T and had the connection problems, but somehow have gotten past it. But I cannot get the address book to automatically load. I have to manually OK access each time and would love to know if anyone has been able to get the Samsung to push the contact list without manually OK'g each time. I have a 2013 535xi. My old plain Motorola Z9 never had a problem. Thanks.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328XI
Make sure Android is up to date

I had Android 4.1.1, and I had the connection problems. Then, I updated to 4.4.2 and everything is working great now. If some people have refused the contact list but have update to 4.4.X since, it might be good to delete the BT pair and try again with the phonebook.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: TBD
My question is regarding a 2011 335i convertible w/out Nav iDrive package. The radio has the phone disconnect button but nothing comes up on the dash display for bluetooth. I'm assuming without this option you do not get bluetooth? Can this be upgraded after the fact?