Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:55 PM
GLLOQ

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 2.5i
Question getting my 2001 z3 maintained...

Question: is this typical of the maintenance of an old Z3?

Got my "new" 2001 Z3 2.5L a couple of weeks ago. 83,300 miles, body in good shape.

Took the car to my local independent BMW garage and asked to have the belts, hoses and fluids checked and/or replaced. I have no info about prior work done on car.

The mechanic was pretty gung-ho to bring the car up to snuff beyond just belts and hoses, so here's what he did:

(1) new fuel filter. Car still had the one it was born with.
(2) transmission filter kit, new fluid, transmission service, new pan gasket
(3) oil and filter
(4) replace upper radiator hose. The rest of the hoses looked good, couldn't be over five years old.
(5) new water pump. Old one had considerable play and bad bearing grind
(6) new fan clutch. Too much play, bad bearings
(7) new belt tensioner (same as above)
(8) new antifreeze
(9) labor charge for R/R fan shroud and installation of various assemblies
(10) new power steering hose and clamp. Old hose deteriorating
(11) new power steering reservoir and fluid. Mechanic pointed out plugged-up filter in bottom of reservoir
(12) R/R differential gear oil
(13) updated software download. Car still had break-in software from 2001
(14) Diagnostic scan
(15) Airbag light on: checked with loaner air bag. System bad, seats & carpet need removal to access Airbag controller (probably bad) No further work done, mechanic suspects controller in bad shape.

Total currently invested in maintenance: $1850...

I have the impression the former owner put off preventive maintenance as long as s/he could. The airbag light is the last problem to solve.
Advertisement
Old 07-24-2012, 04:23 AM
formerly updmst

Mein Auto: 2000 M Coupe, 1997 318ti
Typical maintenance for a car whose owner put off preventative maintenance as long as possible.

IMHO, the water pump should have been replaced at 60k. Brake/clutch fluid flushed every 2 years. Coolant flushed every 3-4 years.

An inspection II, which typically happens around 60k, would have caught the fuel filter and the fluids.

I am surprised the car needed a new upper radiator hose and had a leaking power steering hose.

But you did the RIGHT thing in bringing the maintenance up to date. To even out the yearly expenses, try to do some preventative maintenance beyond oil and filter changes every year.

At 100K, I would replace the radiator, expansion tank, and hoses. Hoses are typically good for 120k, but when replacing the radiator you have already done much of the labor of replacing the hoses.

For the work done, $1850 is a typical price. Learning to do some of these tasks yourself will save you money.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:31 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
The big thing I see missing is the brake fluid flush. Probably hasn't ever been done.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 07-24-2012, 05:38 AM
formerly updmst

Mein Auto: 2000 M Coupe, 1997 318ti
alcofribas,

Double check your paper work. Your shop did a pretty thorough job. I would be surprised if they missed the brake flush.

Also, your preventative maintenance probably saved your Z3. Well done.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:17 PM
GLLOQ

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 2.5i
Maintenance feedback appreciated!

I did double-check the paperwork, and no brake work was performed. In order to establish a baseline, I'll need to have the pads, the rotors and the fluid checked. I've noted that since there is ABS and traction control, the brake bleeding process requires some considerable care.

My mechanic mentioned that this particular Z3 was very likely left out in the rain with its top down one too many times, resulting in a soaked carpet and probable damage to the airbag controller under the central console. The airbag light is on. The mechanic tried (from what I understood) putting a known good airbag in the system, but no response from the control unit.

1967 BMW 1600 (R.I.P.)
2001 Z3 2.5L
Old 07-26-2012, 01:36 PM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
While a "proper" flush includes using a Modic unit to cycle the ABS pump while flushing, just doing a flush will be miles ahead of not doing it.

Oh, and I have found that the easiest way to get a good firm pedal is to just let the fluid drip (NO pumping of the pedal and NO pressure bleeder).

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)