Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 07-23-2012, 06:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
curt towing hitch

hello everyone,
Has anyone had the Curt hitch installed on their 2011 X3? The price difference between the Curt and BMW hitch is quite a bit. Is it worth the diffrence? Thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 07-23-2012, 09:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
I bought a Curt hitch for my 2010 Toyota Rav 4 and it was excellent. I may put a hitch on my new X3 at some point and won't hesitate to get the Curt if there's a significant price difference over BMW. Something like that I can't really fathom why the BMW logo on it would make any difference.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:37 PM

Mein Auto: X3
The biggest difference between the curt and oem hitch is the inclusion of the brake interface box. I know when I installed my hitch on my 09 the price delta was non existent after factoring in the separate purchase.

The box plug directly into a pre wired loom in your hatch. It converts the lighting logic to the hitch wire harness.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to jettie1767 Send a message via Yahoo to jettie1767 Send a message via Skype™ to jettie1767
Mein Auto: 2012 BMW M6
I went with the BMW hitch. Pretty neat install and you don't really see anything from the rear except this little piece of electrical plug. The receiver is removable which makes the hitch look very inconscpicuous when not in use.

'14 BMW M6 Gran Coupe Tanzanite Blue
'14 Porsche Boxster Carrera White
'13 BMW X3 Space Gray
Old 07-24-2012, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
There is a lot more to the BMW hitch than just the hitch. The BMW hitch gets a program update to the car which adjust the stability control system when you are towing, it disables the Park Distance Control senors with a trailer attached, and if you have the backup camera it gives you a new zoom on hitch option in iDrive which makes hooking up the trailer by yourself super easy. I paid $1050 for the hitch and installation and though it is a little expensive I think it is worth it over a basic aftermarket hitch.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:10 PM

Hi Colson79, I wish my dealer here in Vancouver, BC Canada would install the BMW hitch for $1050. It cost $1500 here. You sure got a good deal.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i M-sport
I too would have thought $1,050 was a steal. I paid $1,570, taxes in, in Toronto.

After a lot of research it seemed like the BMW hitch was the way to go. The main thing I've noticed so far is how the back-up camera and parking assist help you hitch a trailer. It looks like it would be super easy.

It is also very inconspicuous, which I like. You can hardly tell it's there when the receiver is off.

Presently, I'm only using it for a bike rack but may use it for some other toys one day. I'm glad I have it now.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:04 PM

hello BMW4grrl,
The cost difference is almost 50% more for the BMW hitch. Would you be able to upload a picture of your x3 at the rear. I need to know how much is actually showing without the ball mount. thanks
Old 07-27-2012, 08:00 PM

I'll take some pictures tomorrow.

Shop around and ask your dealer for a better price. My dealer dropped their first quote by $200.

I was going to buy the part in the US and have it installed by a BMW dealership in Niagara Falls, NY. Originally, the savings seemed to be worth it. But when I spoke to service in NY state they talked me out of it. The US dealers were not able to program the Cdn cars. I would have to get my hitch programmed by a Cdn dealer and apparently they charge a fortune for this. This charge would have eroded any savings I had. Now that I know a bit more about the hitch this would have not been a problem for me since I'm only using it to carry bikes. But if your hitching a trailer than it would be an issue.

I looked at an after market hitch but was told that my bumper would have to be cut. I think the savings was about 50%. But I didn't want my bumper cut, especially on a brand new car.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW4grrl View Post
I'll take some pictures tomorrow.

Shop around and ask your dealer for a better price. My dealer dropped their first quote by $200.

I was going to buy the part in the US and have it installed by a BMW dealership in Niagara Falls, NY. Originally, the savings seemed to be worth it. But when I spoke to service in NY state they talked me out of it. The US dealers were not able to program the Cdn cars. I would have to get my hitch programmed by a Cdn dealer and apparently they charge a fortune for this. This charge would have eroded any savings I had. Now that I know a bit more about the hitch this would have not been a problem for me since I'm only using it to carry bikes. But if your hitching a trailer than it would be an issue.

I looked at an after market hitch but was told that my bumper would have to be cut. I think the savings was about 50%. But I didn't want my bumper cut, especially on a brand new car.
Hi,
I looked at the installation of the Curt hitch. The section that is cut cannot be seen from the rear.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:09 PM

Here are some pictures of my OEM hitch (please excuse the dirt...I drove through road work and my car is a mess!).

The last two are with the square receiver attachment mounted. There is also a ball and tongue which attaches to this. I didn't include this attachment. Let me know if you want to see what that looks like too.

The electronics are behind the plastic cover on the left side of the hitch in the first picture.

The second picture is a realistic view of what it looks like from normal hieght when not in use. It is hardly visible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-5.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	334831   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-4.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	334832   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-3.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	334833   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-2.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	334834  

Last edited by BMW4grrl; 07-29-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:27 PM

Talking

Quote:
Here are some pictures of my OEM hitch (please excuse the dirt...I drove through road work and my car is a mess!).

The last two are with the square receiver attachment mounted. There is also a ball and tongue which attaches to this. I didn't include this attachment. Let me know if you want to see what that looks like too.

The electronics are behind the plastic cover on the left side of the hitch in the first picture.

The second picture is a realistic view of what it looks like from normal hight when not in use. It is hardly visible.
Thanks for taking the time for taking the pictures and uploading to bimmerfest.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:29 PM

Red face

Is there anyone who can upload pictures of their 2011 X3 with the Curt hitch? Thanks.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:56 PM

hello everyone,

FYI - whether you choose the Curt or the genuine BMW hitch, both require cutting out a section of the bumper.

http://www.bavauto.com/Assets/inst_pages/ins429.pdf

Old 07-30-2012, 08:43 PM

here is a link to someone who has installed a Curt hitch onto their 2011 X3

http://bmwccottawa.org/smf/index.php?topic=1162.0
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	curt hitch on 2011 x3.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	334963  
Old 08-03-2012, 06:53 AM

Just checked my rear bumper yesterday and you're right, there is a piece cut out.

I think the only advantage of the BMW hitch is the iDrive hitch module. If that's not important to you than I don't see any value in paying more.

I'm think I would have saved myself the $$ if I had known BMW had to cut the bumper too. I'm not too thrilled that this wasn't communicated to me. But I guess it's my fault for not asking.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:02 AM
retired engineer

Mein Auto: 2011 X3
From BMWUSA:

BMW Towing and Transport System

The BMW Towing and Transport System has a unique design and is very easy to use. Class 2 Trailer Tow Rating (3,500 lb max towing capacity and 350 lb max tongue weight). Detachable 2” x 2” square receiver tube adapter that easily snaps into a mount located under the rear bumper cover which eliminates the need to cut through the vehicle’s rear bumper cover. Removable square receiver tube adapter is lockable to deter theft. Discreet but accessible trailer lighting connector. Both 4 and 7 pole trailer lighting connectors. Fits all body variations of the X3 (including the M Sport Package and X-Line Pro aero kit). Functionally integrated with the vehicle’s exterior lighting system and the DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) system. Automatically immobilizes rear-PDC (Park Distance Control) sensors when a trailer is electrically connected.

this is misleading if they still have to cut through the bumper cover
2011 X3 after a long dry spell, the fun resumes.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
Quote:
Just checked my rear bumper yesterday and you're right, there is a piece cut out.

I think the only advantage of the BMW hitch is the iDrive hitch module. If that's not important to you than I don't see any value in paying more.

I'm think I would have saved myself the $$ if I had known BMW had to cut the bumper too. I'm not too thrilled that this wasn't communicated to me. But I guess it's my fault for not asking.
In my opinion it is worth it to go with the BMW solution not only for the iDrive integration and backup camera integration, but for safety issues. The BMW solution alters how the stability control system works when you are towing a trailer. Taking the safety of me and my family when towing into consideration, the extra few hundred dollars is well worth it.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg857 View Post
From BMWUSA:

BMW Towing and Transport System

The BMW Towing and Transport System has a unique design and is very easy to use. Class 2 Trailer Tow Rating (3,500 lb max towing capacity and 350 lb max tongue weight). Detachable 2” x 2” square receiver tube adapter that easily snaps into a mount located under the rear bumper cover which eliminates the need to cut through the vehicle’s rear bumper cover. Removable square receiver tube adapter is lockable to deter theft. Discreet but accessible trailer lighting connector. Both 4 and 7 pole trailer lighting connectors. Fits all body variations of the X3 (including the M Sport Package and X-Line Pro aero kit). Functionally integrated with the vehicle’s exterior lighting system and the DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) system. Automatically immobilizes rear-PDC (Park Distance Control) sensors when a trailer is electrically connected.

this is misleading if they still have to cut through the bumper cover
The bumper cut-out is not visible. It's underneath the car or on the bottom side of the bumper.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I am getting the BMW hitch installed by the dealer. I had a 20% off coupon worth up to $300 off so I will have the hitch installed for about $825.