Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 04-08-2017, 01:58 PM

Mein Auto: X5 2006
X5 sunroof drain prob fixed

This is my first post, although I've surfed here many times looking for tips. So . . . . thanks to the membership for all the help over the years.

I figured I should post this as it's such an unusual/unique deal and I can hardly believe it myself.

The X5 had a LOT of water ingress, after being parked at a friends house for 2 weeks while we were out of town. There's a longer story than this due to other issues, but I'll focus on this one for now.

It was obvious the sunroof drainage was a problem, so after looking at a lot of threads and gathering all the tips I could find, I set out to unplug them. No problem with the rear ones as they're accessible from the outside and after reaming out with some weed-whacker cord, water flowed unimpeded. I'm not exactly sure they were totally jammed anyway as I normally park the car facing up the driveway and the problem didn't happen until it was parked facing downwards for a couple weeks.

The front ones . . . . I tried everything I could find here, and on YouTube, that didn't require taking the trim off the front pillars. I was reluctant to do that as I've messed up clips and trim on vehicles taking the trim off.
However, after exhausting everything else, I figured it was worth trying it before I simply sealed up the sunroof with silicon.

The pic attached shows what I found (both front ones were the same. I couldn't believe it. My opinion is that this doesn't happen over time, with usage etc. It had to have been that way since it was either manufactured or when somebody else was in there for whatever reason.
Both tubes were folded back on themselves, not just kinked.

So . . . if you have drainage issues with the same model and can't clear them using the usual means, don't worry about taking the trim off - it's pretty simple, and you can access the drain tubes directly.
Best

_a2_
Advertisement

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search