Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech

Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech
BMW navigation, audio upgrades, XM Radio, Sirius, Bluetooth, and Radar Detector discussions here!

Sponsored by BimmerTech

Old 08-09-2003, 02:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 535 6mt
BMW OEM Sirius DIY install: MY 2002 330i

Installed Sirius in my E46. Took me all of 30 minutes. 15 seconds to plug in the Sirius receiver to the CD changer cabling in the trunk (fished cabling out last week) and the rest of the time was spent swapping out the MY 2002 head unit for a MY 2003 head unit with the correct software. I have confirmed the MY 2002 head unit software does not recognize the Sirius receiver.

Steps:

1) Fish out CD change cabling from left side trunk
2) Connect Sirius antenna to Sirius receiver
3) Connect Sirius to CD changer cabling in trunk (3 & 6 pin)
4) Swap head unit as required
5) Power on
6) Activate Sirius via Internet

My antenna is mounted on the rear package shelf. Leaving it there to see how well it works. Perfect reception sitting in the driveway.

Parts on the cheap:

OEM Sirius BMW receiver (discount via Circle BMW)
Terk antenna (cheaper than OEM BMW via Best Buy)
MY 2003 head unit (via E46 Fanatics - recoup cost later selling either unit)

Didn't spring for the mounting kit as it is $60 and I would need the CD brackets and left side trunk liner. Plan to use velcro and tie wraps I have on hand instead ... figure a couple of bucks

I thought the first song I heard after the Sirius activation was appropriate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sirius.jpg
Views:	37637
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	17617   Click image for larger version

Name:	sr.jpg
Views:	7259
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	17618   Click image for larger version

Name:	rl.jpg
Views:	30883
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	17619  

Last edited by ObD; 08-09-2003 at 02:13 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 08-09-2003, 06:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 OB/Sand 325Ci
Cool! How much was the receiver from Circle BMW?

Don
Old 08-09-2003, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DN325CI
Cool! How much was the receiver from Circle BMW?

Don
http://www.circlebmw.com/parts/acc.htm
Old 08-10-2003, 07:12 PM

Mein Auto: '02 M3 'Vert
What does the BMW OEM antenna look like and where does it mount (compared to the Terk)? Just curious... wondering if BMW has licked the black mouse on the roof antenna.

2002 M3 Convertible
2005 VW Passat 1.8T Wagon
Old 08-10-2003, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBS3SSION
What does the BMW OEM antenna look like and where does it mount (compared to the Terk)? Just curious... wondering if BMW has licked the black mouse on the roof antenna.
The BMW OEM antenna is the same black mouse as all the rest of the first generation Sirius antennas and per BMW it mounts on the roof or trunk with adhesive. Most people put their antennas on the rear package shelf with minimal degradation of signal. The second generation Sirius antennas are about 1/3 the size, magnet mount, and are single wire instead of double. The Terk adapter from single to double wire for older receiver designs such as BMW's will be out in Sept.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:58 PM

Mein Auto: '01 325iTA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObD
MY 2003 head unit (via E46 Fanatics - recoup cost later selling either unit)
What was the part number on the new radio?

I'm looking for a used radio and want to make sure i'm getting a Sirius ready radio. Are all '03 E46 radios Sirius ready?

Titanium Silver/Tanin Red Leather

Factory Options
Steptronic - Sport Package - Cold Weather Package - Power Seat Package - Xenon Headlights - HK - Moonroof

BMW Upgrades
M-Tech Aero Kit - Club Sport Spitters - 17" 68M BMW Wheels - M3 Steering Wheel w/Paddles - Matt Aluminum Interior Trim - Titan Headlight Trim - Leather Armrest - First Aid Kit - Fire extinguisher- Spare Gas Can - Warning Triangle - CD Changer
Old 08-14-2003, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwolff
What was the part number on the new radio?

I'm looking for a used radio and want to make sure i'm getting a Sirius ready radio. Are all '03 E46 radios Sirius ready?
Update: ***** BMW states that ALL 2003 head units are Sirius compatible. So for units built in 2003 the yr from the week/yr digits are the important ones i.e. "03" the software version is not important. However for any MY2003 head unit manufactured in 2002 the SW version needs to be "50" *****

To access the headunit software version number and week/year build of the headunit:

With the ignition off, turn on radio.
Hold "m" key for ~ 10 seconds, until the unit serial number is displayed.
Press the key under the "+"
The week/year build of the headunit and the software version is displayed. The software version is the right two digits.

Sirius ready:

A software version than or equal to "50" and "02" in the year field for head units manufactured in 2002

--- OR ---

"03" in the year field for 2003 built units.

This information is also on a tag on the bottom of the head unit. Get the seller to take a pic of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	husw.jpg
Views:	4988
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	17943   Click image for larger version

Name:	hu03.JPG
Views:	6987
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	17944  

Last edited by ObD; 10-03-2003 at 06:45 AM.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:05 PM
In Driving Heaven

Mein Auto: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObD
All 03 radios are Sirius ready.
Except if you have the Nav. Looks like you're in luck, you should be able to do a head unit swap.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

Mystic Blue 330i, SP, PP, Nav, Heated Seats, Step -- ED July 10, 2003
Old 08-14-2003, 08:31 PM
German car, dog, and beer

Mein Auto: 04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObD
Installed Sirius in my E46. Took me all of 30 minutes.
Outstanding!

My mechanical ability is such that if someone sent me off to find a screwdriver, I'd come back with vodka and orange juice, so I went the dealer-installed route. Cost me a couple hundred bucks more, but what the hell.

You'll love it. My only problem has been picking the 18 presets. The ability to identify the group and the cut being played (a friend of mine referred to it as "Singer ID") is alone worth the price of admission.

Delivered 7/8/03: '04 330Ci... GREY GREEN METALLIC; NAT BROWN COW; 6-speed (of course); PP (moonroof, lumbar support, myrtle wood); SP (sports seats, clears, style 68M wheels); bunwarmers; bi-adaptive xenons so I can peek around corners; bling-bling LED adaptive brake lights; Sirius Satellite Radio (60 ad-free music streams + 40 news/finance/sports/talk streams).

Last edited by waxhaw; 08-14-2003 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:44 PM
trailingthrottleoversteer

Mein Auto: CLK 550
DUUUUDE!

You're the SCHIZ-NIT!!

I went to the stealer today to see how much a Sirius radio would be...A new radio is about $650, but a "Remanufactured" radio is only about $200 with an exchange......they list part # 65-10-6-927-903 as the CD radio for ALL e46's from 9/01 and on. I could not figure out how....but now I know!!!.....They do a software upgrade.

If my plan works, I'm gonna exchange my radio and look for the "50"....I'll keep you posted!

Thanks for the info!

If we all threw our problems into a pile and saw everyone else's - we'd grab ours back.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre
Except if you have the Nav. Looks like you're in luck, you should be able to do a head unit swap.
Yes, NAV is a different story. Radio is part of NAV so when I speak of radio, it's not the NAV unit.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwolff
I'm looking for a used radio
Just noticed you have a MY 2001. Per BMW, MY 2002+ have the correct wiring for Sirius, so it allegedly won't work in a 2001. Don't know what is different, but I have anecdotal evidence they changed the CD changer wiring on the back of the headunit, so YMMV.

Last edited by ObD; 08-14-2003 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-15-2003, 01:03 AM

Mein Auto: 03 330xi sapphire black
Thumbs up i want sirius too!

i just moved from deutschland to the states, and after just a few hrs of driving my car around, i am tired of all the stupid radio commercials.
i never thought id be interested in sirius, but now i am.

i have an 03 330xi, w/nav & 6-cdc in trunk.
what options are there for me?

can anyone recommend an installation place (i'm with waxhaw) around OKCity, or Dallas?

thanks!
Old 08-15-2003, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becki
i just moved from deutschland to the states, and after just a few hrs of driving my car around, i am tired of all the stupid radio commercials.
i never thought id be interested in sirius, but now i am.

i have an 03 330xi, w/nav & 6-cdc in trunk.
what options are there for me?

can anyone recommend an installation place (i'm with waxhaw) around OKCity, or Dallas?

thanks!
MY 2003 with NAV is not compatible with the BMW OEM Sirius unit, so you'll have to go aftermarket. You'll need an adapter for the aftermarket satellite radio and the OEM CD changer won't work with the adapter. Aftermarket CD changers will work with the adapter. Do a search on XM or Sirius for more info. Some people have gone to Circuit City, Best Buy, etc and had their installs done.
Old 08-15-2003, 06:10 AM

Did you buy the BMW Sirius roof antenna - or did you go with a aftermarket/Terk ?
Thanks

If we all threw our problems into a pile and saw everyone else's - we'd grab ours back.
Old 08-15-2003, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo
Did you buy the BMW Sirius roof antenna - or did you go with a aftermarket/Terk ?
Thanks
Terk, it's $30-$50 cheaper depending on model than the OEM one at the discount internet price r.e. Circle BMW. Just remember the OEM BMW receiver has dual antenna inputs for the terrestrial and satellite connections. Terk makes an adapter for the single wire antennas to connect to a dual input receiver but it won't be out till next month.
Old 08-15-2003, 10:14 AM

Mein Auto: 03/ZHP, 03/Z4, 01/325
From what I've heard, users with NAV (2003) have to wait until September for their Sirius kit to be available. I can wait, I've got XM for the time being.
Old 08-15-2003, 10:21 AM
OMGWTFBBQ

Mein Auto:
What I find most intriguing is the text display.

Prior to MY 2003, the head unit was not supposed to be able to display text through the CD wiring (which is why ********Box and CD-MP3 changers can only display disc and track numbers).

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 08-15-2003, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ·clyde·
Prior to MY 2003, the head unit was not supposed to be able to display text through the CD wiring (which is why ********Box and CD-MP3 changers can only display disc and track numbers).
It scrolls too though not automatically. It's the version "50" software which does it. I'm sure the software could be reverse engineered providing the 2002+ headunit hardware is the platform, but not without significant effort.

Last edited by ObD; 08-15-2003 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-15-2003, 04:08 PM
In Driving Heaven

Mein Auto: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by eluder
From what I've heard, users with NAV (2003) have to wait until September for their Sirius kit to be available. I can wait, I've got XM for the time being.
No, from what I've read (here and in other places), Nav users prior to September are just SOL. There's no retrofit for pre-September 2003 Nav units.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

Mystic Blue 330i, SP, PP, Nav, Heated Seats, Step -- ED July 10, 2003
Old 08-15-2003, 05:04 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 06 EZGO TXT, chipped!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObD
All 03 radios are Sirius ready. The software version is the number which really counts. To access the headunit software version number:

With the ignition off, turn on radio.
Hold "m" key for ~ 10 seconds, until the unit serial number is displayed.
Press the key under the "+"
The week/year build of the headunit and the software version is displayed. The software version is the right two digits. A number greater than or equal to 50 means it is Sirius ready.

This information is also on a tag on the bottom of the head unit. Get the seller to take a pic of it.
I have an 03 ZHP and my SV is 14-03 40...does this mean I am out of luck? Thanks!
Old 08-15-2003, 08:55 PM

Went to the Stealer today and pulled a "refurbished" business CD unit off the shelf. It is listed to fit ALL E46 MY 9/01 and up........but the software code (sticker) was 40 (?)......WTF?
The parts guy was baffled with the wealth of info I came in with. He asked how I knew this info.......I told him that I could tell him how, but then I'd have to kill him. No sense of humor . . . .

I'm thinkin' . . . . . . . the Panasonic or Clarion Sirius package was like $150 after rebate (plus antenna) at Crutchfield, it included the receiver and the display....The factory set-up would cost $250 to $695 for a SAT factory radio AND $239 for the factory SAT receiver PLUS the antenna.

I dunno.....talk me outta this.......

Last edited by Frank Rizzo; 08-15-2003 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:44 PM
Don't worry, be happy

Mein Auto: '05 645Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo
Went to the Stealer today and pulled a "refurbished" business CD unit off the shelf. It is listed to fit ALL E46 MY 9/01 and up........but the software code (sticker) was 40 (?)......WTF?
The parts guy was baffled with the wealth of info I came in with. He asked how I knew this info.......I told him that I could tell him how, but then I'd have to kill him. No sense of humor . . . .

I'm thinkin' . . . . . . . the Panasonic or Clarion Sirius package was like $150 after rebate (plus antenna) at Crutchfield, it included the receiver and the display....The factory set-up would cost $250 to $695 for a SAT factory radio AND $239 for the factory SAT receiver PLUS the antenna.

I dunno.....talk me outta this.......
Hey Frank, tell Kissell I said hi..........
Old 08-15-2003, 09:55 PM
A sudden sense of liberty

Mein Auto: 535xiT, Golf R, 987S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan330i
Hey Frank, tell Kissell I said hi..........
Hey, Ryan, Kissel wants to know when you are gonna go over there and fix his sink?
Old 08-16-2003, 10:06 AM

I dunno.....I called them like 4 hours ago....the water is all over the place here...and when I called back he says "you never called here"... so I says "you callin me a liar"? Then he starts tellin me ablut how Uncle Jimmy died....got me REAL upset.

I'm liable to go over there and rub small little sandbaskets all over his assneck....