Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 07-24-2012, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: x3
Thumbs down EWS needs replaced

I need some help. My 2008 X3 with only 45000 miles just had to have it's main EWS computer replaced. This was due to the car not starting. After replacing this and the starter and paying for 3 hours of diagnostic time.....the car still will not start. Now the dealer wants two more hours of diagnostic. I am starting to feel that they do not know what they are doing. I find this is very upsetting for such a high quality vehicle to not work considering the low mileage and young age. Any thoughts?
Advertisement
Old 07-24-2012, 04:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
What is the EWS?
Old 07-24-2012, 07:20 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyr View Post
I need some help. My 2008 X3 with only 45000 miles just had to have it's main EWS computer replaced. This was due to the car not starting. After replacing this and the starter and paying for 3 hours of diagnostic time.....the car still will not start. Now the dealer wants two more hours of diagnostic. I am starting to feel that they do not know what they are doing. I find this is very upsetting for such a high quality vehicle to not work considering the low mileage and young age. Any thoughts?

If this isnt under warranty ask it to be covered under the "Goodwill" TSB. At 45,000 miles and an 08 it is close enough where the right dealer will help you out. If they won't call corporate to get an approval go to another dealer and explain the situation and ask if they will. They may even let you buy the extended warranty still to cover it longer. Remind them that you are thinking about doing just that.

Good Luck
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 07-24-2012, 08:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUEng View Post
What is the EWS?
The computer module for the immobilizer. Does all the ignition key authorization business.

Electronic Watchdog System or something.

It communicates with the main vehicle brain - the DME/ECU/ECM.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercourse View Post
The computer module for the immobilizer. Does all the ignition key authorization business.

Electronic Watchdog System or something.

It communicates with the main vehicle brain - the DME/ECU/ECM.
I have never heard of this...what does it mean? I will certainly try and thank you so much for the suggestion!
Old 07-25-2012, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
If this isnt under warranty ask it to be covered under the "Goodwill" TSB. At 45,000 miles and an 08 it is close enough where the right dealer will help you out. If they won't call corporate to get an approval go to another dealer and explain the situation and ask if they will. They may even let you buy the extended warranty still to cover it longer. Remind them that you are thinking about doing just that.

Good Luck
I have never heard of this, what is it? Thank you so much for the suggestion and I will certainly ask. Although this dealer is not very good and they are the only one within 50 miles of me. They have had numerous complaints about them. Their attitude is horrible.....the do not return calls and if you say anything about it they get very rude. I was told they were busy and I should have answered my phone when they called me. When I called to complain I was simply told that Zack was having a bad day and it was raining out. No apology just attitude. They have had my car now for 11 days.........I think I am having multiple bad days!
Old 07-25-2012, 05:40 AM
TA

Mein Auto: 2003 bmw 525i
The EWS is a module that is under the driver's side dash. It stores a series of codes that are downloaded into the key when the car is turned off. That code is then used to determine that the key is "legal". If it isn't, the fuel pump & starter will not work.

Could you be a little more specific with your symptoms? The classic EWS problem is that when you put the key in and turn it to the run position, everything seems to be fine, but when you try turning the key to the start position, nothing happens. By nothing, I mean there is no "Click" from the solenoid and now sound from the starter.

It is very disappointing that the dealer would try changing the starter first. It is a lot less labor to replace the EWS & realign it with the DME. (the main engine computer) Just be aware that to get a new EWS, you have to furnish your VIN number & the dealer has to order a new one because your unique set of 200 code numbers needs to be programmed into the module.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyr View Post
I have never heard of this, what is it? Thank you so much for the suggestion and I will certainly ask. Although this dealer is not very good and they are the only one within 50 miles of me. They have had numerous complaints about them. Their attitude is horrible.....the do not return calls and if you say anything about it they get very rude. I was told they were busy and I should have answered my phone when they called me. When I called to complain I was simply told that Zack was having a bad day and it was raining out. No apology just attitude. They have had my car now for 11 days.........I think I am having multiple bad days!
Just reading your post makes my blood boil. If I were to get treated like that at a BMW dealership I would go straight to BMW corporate and make a massive stink. There is absolutely no excuse for that. The fact that they've had your car for 11 days also tells me they probably don't have a clue about what they are doing. I wouldn't pay them another dime until the issue was fixed then I would never EVER return to that dealership. Find a good local indy or drive the extra distance to another dealer.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:34 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Find another dealer. Even if they are farther. They arent even trying and you should file a complaint with BMWNA.

Do a search function under the word goodwill. This is a technical service bulletin that allows a dealer to appeal to BMWNA on your behalf to cover or reduce costs on vehicles just barely out of warranty extending it to 60k miles and time.

So three things:

Find another dealer. Explain what you have been through, including the attitude.

Find goodwill tsb on bimmerfest and read it to service manager at other dealer and appeal to their better nature. Be really nice.

Last, write a letter condemning the one dealer, and compliment the other. I had one dealer put me through hell for five months and another dealer solve the problem in less than 5 hours. No kidding.

Again good luck.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 08-09-2012, 03:17 AM

Well our drama has gotten worse. We went to BMW corporate and they said there is no Goodwill program. What is worse the person we spoke to there said he would see what could be done and get back to us. After three days of dodging our call another person finally responded that there was nothing that could or would be done. I love my car but now have a great dislike for BMW. We thought we were buying a premium quality vehicle. I traded my Mercedes for this car.......never should have done that. When I bought my Mercedes I bought the extended warranty but never used it......ever........ so I thought why would I need it with a BMW. I will now be unloading my BMW as I can not take the chance of this happening again.