Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 08-11-2012, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto: '01 540i Sport
Hopefully, being a former claims investigator, I can offer some insight here.

This claim should be covered under COMP, in it's most general sense. That being said, MOST companies will not cover the CAUSE of the damage. An example would be if your tire blew out and you hit a guardrail. The insurance claim would cover everything that resulted from the loss except for the tire, being that it was "improper maintenance" that caused the loss.

Now COMP claims aren't usually logged on your record with liability being much of a factor, so don't worry when they tell you that it was your fault that the thing caught fire. Ultimately, it doesn't mean the same thing as causing a COLLISION.

Insurance companies tend to oversimplify things; as they are doing here. Those who have pointed out that your carrier can subrogate BMWNA are correct, although it will not get them anywhere. A good example of the only time those types of losses were recoverable after being paid were in the Toyota "unintended acceleration" debacles.

I cannot speak to the specifics of your policy, but the company I previously worked for would have paid for everything but the cause of the fire. That would mean a new or USED (and in comparable condition) seat and everything else. Of course, you will be responsible for your deductible, if you have one, and the module that allegedly caused the loss. Or you can take a check for the repair cost less those two amounts I just mentioned.

Ultimately, it was improper maintenance that caused this to occur. Now whether it should have happened is a different story, and I feel for you there.

To the poster who seemed surprised that the OP got in to his car to find his seat completely reclined; it's happened to me more than once. There are clearly some gremlins there...
Old 08-24-2012, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
That **** is scary! I hate hearing stories like this but I'm glad you're okay. Now I'm paranoid about my ass catching fire lol
Old 09-16-2012, 04:27 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
All-
Just wanted to end this story on a positive note. After taking everyone's advice I filed a complaint with the MD insurance commissioner, and filed a complaint with the NHTSA. It's funny, a few days later BMW NA coughed up another $1000, and my insurance upped their coverage to $2200. It took some serious complaining but it worked. After all his I may still buy a 2010 328i.

Thanks!
Old 09-16-2012, 05:19 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
That is awesome news! I'm glad they finally fixed it. Just shows that with some perseverance, they will take respobsibilty. Wish I knew more about the process if I find myself in a similar situation.

So now you have another used seat?
Old 02-18-2013, 09:51 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
For the crosslinked record, this was posted today:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Burnt 530i

Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 02-18-2013, 10:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 540iT M Sport
Does the OP have heated seats?
Old 04-24-2013, 01:30 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
For the record, this thread shows the results of a fire, purportedly from charging the battery:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > 2003 BMW 540 Burns to the ground

Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need