Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:58 PM
Merc Convert

Mein Auto: '08 550i Sport
Replace Running Boards with Rocker Panels

Gents (ladies too?)

I am having a hell of a time trying to get precise answers for what I am looking to do. Most people are adding the stainless running boards to their X5's (I have an '08 4.8 sport package with extended arches) so there's good info on instructions and so forth for this activity. However, I want to remove them and replace with the standard rocker panels due to the 'back of pant leg' problem'. It's the installation of the standard rockers that I am having problems with.

Do I need different wheel arches when doing this retrofit or any parts in addition to the 'regular' parts? No BMW parts guy has any clue to this answer. I thought I read somewhere that the E70 wheel arches can remain between the running board/no running board look.

I am hoping that all I need are the L/R backing panels, rocker panels, hardware and adhesive to complete this so that it doesn't add up to a $1,000 job with all these peripheral parts. Can someone help??? Thank you!

2008 550i M Sport Carbon Black on Black 6AT SAT

When in doubt, find row zed.
Advertisement
Old 07-30-2012, 01:15 PM
Get Coded

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i
I JUST did this on Saturday. So you're in luck.

It doesn't matter what wheel arches you have, they can stay. In order to remove the step side, it helps to break two of the plastic rivets on each front arch near the side. And you HAVE to do this on the rear arches.

Once you do that, you remove the outer shell of the step side, which is the visible aluminum top/black plastic piece. Then underneath that is a composite black plastic support piece that is bolted to the truck frame with (11) 13mm bolts.

You remove this, then put on the new black plastic support piece that comes with the non-step rocker panels. Once that is bolted on, you install the rocker panel itself using the same hardware from the ones you took off, or the bag of hardware that should come with your rocker panels. (identical).

The not fun part is replacing the plastic rivets on all the arches. The fronts are easy to do as you can turn the wheel to give you room, but I had to remove the rear wheels to have room to install new rivets on the rear arches.

The rivet gun can be purchased at NAPA. They also have an assortment of rivets to choose from, but one of the style rivets in the rivet gun/kit was perfect.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:42 PM
Merc Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by finagle69 View Post
I JUST did this on Saturday. So you're in luck.

It doesn't matter what wheel arches you have, they can stay. In order to remove the step side, it helps to break two of the plastic rivets on each front arch near the side. And you HAVE to do this on the rear arches.

Once you do that, you remove the outer shell of the step side, which is the visible aluminum top/black plastic piece. Then underneath that is a composite black plastic support piece that is bolted to the truck frame with (11) 13mm bolts.

You remove this, then put on the new black plastic support piece that comes with the non-step rocker panels. Once that is bolted on, you install the rocker panel itself using the same hardware from the ones you took off, or the bag of hardware that should come with your rocker panels. (identical).

The not fun part is replacing the plastic rivets on all the arches. The fronts are easy to do as you can turn the wheel to give you room, but I had to remove the rear wheels to have room to install new rivets on the rear arches.

The rivet gun can be purchased at NAPA. They also have an assortment of rivets to choose from, but one of the style rivets in the rivet gun/kit was perfect.
finagle - thank you my friend! Do you have a source for where you got your parts from and what your approximate cost was? Sounds like all I need are the backing plates, rocker panels and hardware...thanks!

Old 07-30-2012, 01:57 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
I was going to add that the answer can be found by looking at the wheel arch part numbers- if there is only one, irrespective of the 'running board' option code, then by design they work with both. on the other hand, if there are two sets of parts for arches, depending on running boards, then....

But next best thing is someone who JUST did it.

A
Old 07-30-2012, 03:00 PM
Get Coded

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseafc View Post
finagle - thank you my friend! Do you have a source for where you got your parts from and what your approximate cost was? Sounds like all I need are the backing plates, rocker panels and hardware...thanks!
I bought lightly used running boards/inner piece/hardware from a member of (one of the) forums. I paid 150 shipped. I believe the OEM price to be a fair amount more than that.

I would look at Tischer BMW/RealOEM for pricing of OEM.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:16 AM
Merc Convert

Quote:
I bought lightly used running boards/inner piece/hardware from a member of (one of the) forums. I paid 150 shipped. I believe the OEM price to be a fair amount more than that.

I would look at Tischer BMW/RealOEM for pricing of OEM.
Tischer is @ $233 for each side, plus the backing plates and hardware. I suspect $700 all in, I will have to look used but if not I may just bite the bullet.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:30 AM
Get Coded

Ouch. Good luck finding a used set. Check all three of the main X forums for that. I got mine on Xbimmers.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5d
Quote:
Ouch. Good luck finding a used set. Check all three of the main X forums for that. I got mine on Xbimmers.
Interesting ...
Would you mind sharing a picture of how it looks on yours?

2012 X5d...with all possible pks & flowers...
Old 07-31-2012, 08:55 AM
Get Coded

I'll need to take a few pics of it soon. I have it lowered on Eibach springs and 12mm front/20mm rear spacers.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:15 AM
Merc Convert

Quote:
Yes but I expect to recoup maybe half of that on the sale of the running boards so my actualized cost will be in the ballpark of $350.