Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 07-25-2012, 02:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 330i, 04 X3
Car Seat - seat belt extender / extensions

Not sure if anyone has run into this before. I recently purchased a new car seat for our 18 month old daughter. I went with the Recaro Proride after researching a few different models.

We currently keep her previous car seat in the middle of the rear seat, allowing for 2 adults - one on each side. The new car seat has a wider base. It still clicks in securely, however the seat belts are now covered on each side due to the wider car seat base.

So my question is, has anyone run into this before? Can I just buy seat belt extenders or extensions? Or, do I need to return the car seat and keep shopping for one with a more narrow base?
Old 07-25-2012, 07:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 35D
Had the same issue on a Britax and short extenders fixed it. There are two types of connections, but you won't know which you have until trying them. There is a company on Amazon that will let you order both and return the one that doesn't fit. It worked great for our '08.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:17 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Can two adults still fit on either side with the wider seat? I used the latch system for my grandkids and found that worked best -- but of course that was only on the two outboard seats. I never did the middle seat because it was too hard to get the seat and kid in while bending inside the car -- getting old and stiff I guess! If two people had to ride back there along with the toddler, they just had to use the middle and remaining seat.

Last edited by UncleJ; 07-26-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:25 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm also trying to keep her in the middle because it's supposed to be safer in the event of a side impact collision. The new base is only a tad wider than the old one, but it's just enough to cover the seat belt attachments. I think I'm going to try those extenders off of Amazon. I'll post an update when I get them.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Can two adults still fit on either side with the wider seat? I used the latch system for my grandkids and found that worked best -- but of course that was only on the two outboard seats. I never did the middle seat because it was too hard to get the seat and kid in while bending inside the car -- getting old and stiff I guess! If two people had to ride back there along with the toddler, they just had to use the middle and remaining seat.
Yes. My son was using the Britax Marathon in the middle seat using latch, and it has a wide base, but two adults could still fit and buckle their seats with the extenders attached. The Amazon fix should work for OP, but I'll await their review.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:22 PM

Just ordered the short 3" extenders which should do the job. I'll check in after I try them out. Thanks.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:10 AM

I wasn't able to securely install the Recaro ProRide in the rear middle seat of our X3. The base is too wide so it's getting returned to Amazon. I don't want to install it on a rear side seat for safety and passenger reasons.
I'm in the market for a convertible car seat with a narrow base. Our Chico KeyFit 30 infant seat fit like a glove with no movement side to side. I'm planning on going to a babies r us store to try a few different models. The Recaro is by far the best looking seat IMO, but I couldn't get it secure due to the belt latch locations.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:20 AM

Bummer. The Britax Marathon 70 is wide, but obviously not as wide as the Recaro. It is also consistently rated highly for safety....worth checking out IMO.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:05 PM

Ended up ordering a Diono ( formerly Sunshine Kids) RadianR120. It seems like a highly recommended seat for narrow vehicles. I should get it this week. We'll see what happens.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:11 PM

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Reminds me of this commercial:

Old 08-06-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usaret View Post
Reminds me of this commercial:

Haha. That's the first time I've seen that commercial! I haven't resorted to that yet... but I'm getting close!

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
Old 08-06-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlukas161 View Post
Haha. That's the first time I've seen that commercial! I haven't resorted to that yet... but I'm getting close!

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
I feel your pain. We had a 1975 Datsun 710 (exactly like the one pictured) with a 2 year old and a newborn. To say the least it was a tight fit.

Last edited by usaret; 08-06-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:00 AM

I remember that 710 -- we used to call it the "Atomic Cockroach". In truth however Datsun had quite an ambitious racing program back in the day. The companion 510 series was a strong runner and right up there with the 2002's of the day. A pristine 510 today would be hard to find as I think they were all modded out -- much like the Acura Integra's of recent vintage. I did enjoy the duct taped "Mother-in-Law's" seat on the roof too!
Old 08-07-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
I remember that 710 -- we used to call it the "Atomic Cockroach". In truth however Datsun had quite an ambitious racing program back in the day. The companion 510 series was a strong runner and right up there with the 2002's of the day. A pristine 510 today would be hard to find as I think they were all modded out -- much like the Acura Integra's of recent vintage. I did enjoy the duct taped "Mother-in-Law's" seat on the roof too!
It was one of the best cars we've ever owned. We drove it from Colorado to California to Florida and then up to Bayonne, NJ in 1981 to be shipped to Germany. We drove it all over Europe (western) and finally sold it to another GI when our third kid was born. Later on we discovered it in a German junkyard with a blown head gasket. The owner let us have the walnut shifter knob to save as a memento. The only thing it ever needed was a clutch which was done by ABC Datsun in Phoenix, AZ on our way to California. It didn't come with AC so when we drove from CA to FL we slept during the day and drove at night. This was back when most motels were privately owned and the owners were eager to accommodate us checking in.... in the morning, and out in the late afternoon.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:01 PM

Update: Diono Radian 120 will not fit rear facing. This is getting frustrating! The seat is too long and with it rear facing it won't allow the front seats to move back far enough. Not an option as I'm 6'-1". Not sure if I'll return it or give up and go forward facing. She's 18 months and just over 20 pounds. Other option is to sell the x3 and get a minivan.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Update: Diono Radian 120 will not fit rear facing. This is getting frustrating! The seat is too long and with it rear facing it won't allow the front seats to move back far enough. Not an option as I'm 6'-1". Not sure if I'll return it or give up and go forward facing. She's 18 months and just over 20 pounds. Other option is to sell the x3 and get a minivan.
It would make life easier. Toyota and Honda make some excellent minivans.

I tried to get our daughter to get one but she wasn't going to have it. So she bought a Sequoia instead and has bitched about the gas mileage ever since. Her two kids are teenagers so her issue is legroom not child seat space.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:59 AM

Those sliding doors do make things vastly easier! Especially when transporting the impedimentia required for logistic support of the little one. If you go that route take a look at the Kia and Hyundai offerings.
We rented one for 2 weeks in Hawaii for 6 of us and were very impressed with the capability, fit and finish, and even the performance. Very nice rig.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:06 PM

OP, have you adjusted the recline angle. I am 6'4", and I got our car seat to work....sounds about as large as your's too. I will say the tight fit was one of the reasons that I switched to the X5 though
Old 08-11-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Alot View Post
OP, have you adjusted the recline angle. I am 6'4", and I got our car seat to work....sounds about as large as your's too. I will say the tight fit was one of the reasons that I switched to the X5 though
Yeah, this is not even close. I was kissing the steering wheel.
I ended up putting her forward facing and it fits pretty well now. I know rear facing is a bit safer, but she's 19 months old and I feel that she's secure. I will say the seat is very well made and there is still ample room for 2 adults in the back seat. The diono Radian series is one of the most narrow seats I could find. We didn't want to move to a fwd minivan because its only the 3 of us and because we get a fair amount of snow most winters. Thanks for the suggestions and comments.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:00 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm also trying to keep her in the middle because it's supposed to be safer in the event of a side impact collision. The new base is only a tad wider than the old one, but it's just enough to cover the seat belt attachments. I think I'm going to try those extenders off of Amazon. I'll post an update when I get them.

Agreed, absolutely safer, but imperative she is properly secured or a sudden stop will put her through the windshield. Not being callous, just pragmatic. Had my little girls car seat set the same way.

Even now the car is NEVER started until I get an all clear from all passengers that they are properly buckled.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 12-17-2013, 09:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 Mazda 3S 2006 X3
bumping this back up. Has anyone ever had experience with a Maxi Cosi Pria 70 rear facing in their x3? After doing a lot of research its the car seat we are most likely going with for our 11 month old to upgrade to.

Any suggestions for other seats would be welcomed to
Old 12-17-2013, 09:15 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Car Seat - seat belt extender / extensions

Obviously I'm a father of four for asking this but actually buying a rear facing car seat at 11 months??? I would ride it out another month and get as my 2 yo says a comfy chair and call it good. If you only have 1 child it will give you extra space up front.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by x3brian; 12-17-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 Mazda 3S 2006 X3
The guide lines where changed this past year that a child should be rear facing until the age of 2 with the suggestion that they remain rear facing until 3-4 years old. So the one I'm looking at is rear/forward facing. Rear until 40 pounds forward until 70. Since this is our first kid we're probably overly cautious lol but I'd like to see her stay rear facing until 2 although lack of leg room up front might force that switch sooner.