Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-25-2012, 08:54 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
Question What should i buy for more POWER?

Currently i have an 08 335i with sports package. Its a really nice car but i drove an m3 and just fell in love with it, not that its much different than mine except for the power. I want my car to be more like an m3 so i want like 70 or 80 hp more, i just want it to be a lot snappier and quicker. I was looking at JB4 and Procede but i just have no clue what to buy. I was looking more along the lines of a chip and maybe an intake or something but i don't want to be doing engine work or that kind of stuff.
So if you could just recommend me something along with your experience with this kind of stuff it would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
Old 07-26-2012, 07:59 AM
flâneur en cabriolet

Mein Auto: 2007 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan123 View Post
Currently i have an 08 335i with sports package. Its a really nice car but i drove an m3 and just fell in love with it, not that its much different than mine except for the power. I want my car to be more like an m3 so i want like 70 or 80 hp more, i just want it to be a lot snappier and quicker. I was looking at JB4 and Procede but i just have no clue what to buy. I was looking more along the lines of a chip and maybe an intake or something but i don't want to be doing engine work or that kind of stuff.
So if you could just recommend me something along with your experience with this kind of stuff it would be greatly appreciated.
It is very different beside just the power. Primarily, the M3 has a limited slip differential and more sport oriented suspension bits.

More power, I'd look at JB4 or Cobb.

But I'd look into upgrading to an LSD and the suspension (sport springs, BMW yellow or Koni FSM dampers) before the tune. Being able to put the power you have down to the ground where it belongs is a key thing....
Old 07-26-2012, 08:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Visit www.e90post.com/forums and www.n54tech.com
Old 07-26-2012, 10:01 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew b View Post
It is very different beside just the power. Primarily, the M3 has a limited slip differential and more sport oriented suspension bits.

More power, I'd look at JB4 or Cobb.

But I'd look into upgrading to an LSD and the suspension (sport springs, BMW yellow or Koni FSM dampers) before the tune. Being able to put the power you have down to the ground where it belongs is a key thing....
Well I know what you mean but I dont really want to do work to the suspension and all that, I'd rather just chip it.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:18 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Quote:
Well I know what you mean but I dont really want to do work to the suspension and all that, I'd rather just chip it.
So you've essentially answered your own question?

There are plenty of threads on Bimmerfest and other forums that extensively review the various plug-in options available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 07-26-2012, 12:55 PM
Random Helpbot

Mein Auto: 2011 E93 335i
Quote:
What should i buy for more POWER?
I'm in a generous mood today, so I'll give you this link for free.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw 335
I have Cobb and love it... 80hp more and if you add bms dci you will hear the woosh sound
Old 07-26-2012, 07:24 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: E92
The Cobb AccessPORT is a great choice as it will give the car an increase in power and torque. The Cobb AccessPORT ECU Flash simply replaces conservative factory settings with more aggressive calibrations that result in impressive gains in torque and horsepower while still maintaining a high degree of safety for your N54 engine. The tuning is extremely flexible and allows you to choose on the fly one of the performance maps that are loaded onto the AccessPORT.Typical performance gains from the Cobb AccessPORT Stage 1 flash are increases of 30% peak horsepower and an amazing 38% increase in peak torque. This tune is an ECU flash, not a piggy-back tuner, there will be no added devices to your vehicle's ECU.

You will get a whole lot more functionality and accessibility with the COBB AP. You do get free software and map updates for life that be downloaded straight from the COBB AP Manager software. Not to mention that the COBB AP does allow for you to do live data logging, trouble shoot and scan codes, and of course switch maps on the fly as well! You do get free updates for life and depending on what mods you have on your car, you'll be able to run the various maps that are available (so long as you meet the mod requirements).

Install is a breeze and is pretty much straight forward.

We do take good care of all forum members too. Feel free to drop me a PM, email me at Alan@modbargains.com, or give me a call at 714-582-3330 x 8006 if you have any questions at all!
Hours: Mon - Fri 8:00am-6:00pm | Sat 8:00am-5:00pm
Check out the Blog for daily updates!

Last edited by ModBargains.com; 07-26-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:41 AM

Mein Auto: E92 M3/E90 335i xDrive
The Cobb install appears to be amazingly easy. For those of us with warranties and integrity issues, how do you de-mod the car prior to taking it in for service?
Old 07-27-2012, 06:53 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
The Cobb install appears to be amazingly easy. For those of us with warranties and integrity issues, how do you de-mod the car prior to taking it in for service?
Plug it into to you obd and click unistall...easy dude
Old 07-27-2012, 09:44 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
The uninstall process is just as easy as the install. You simply need to plug the Cobb AP into your OBII, select uninstall and let the unit do its thing. The COBB AP saves your stock map during the initial install and will flash your car back to your stock map during the uninstall process.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Currently i have an 08 335i with sports package. Its a really nice car but i drove an m3 and just fell in love with it, not that its much different than mine except for the power. I want my car to be more like an m3 so i want like 70 or 80 hp more, i just want it to be a lot snappier and quicker. I was looking at JB4 and Procede but i just have no clue what to buy.

I was looking more along the lines of a chip and maybe an intake or something but i don't want to be doing engine work or that kind of stuff.

You might be The Sphinx. If you wanna go right, you gotta go left....if you wanna go down, you gotta go up....guessing you'll have everything installed.

JB4's the market leader; Procede does interesting things especially w/meth, in which case w/either you out-gun stock M3, but cannot out-perform.

A puzzler, eh?

Name:  Think [70].jpg
Views: 592
Size:  36.4 KB
Old 07-27-2012, 10:49 AM
flâneur en cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModBargains.com View Post
The uninstall process is just as easy as the install. You simply need to plug the Cobb AP into your OBII, select uninstall and let the unit do its thing. The COBB AP saves your stock map during the initial install and will flash your car back to your stock map during the uninstall process.
Hey Alan, this means that any adjustments to the stock map/engine settings done by BMW service are saved?

I ask because I took my 335i in for service to fix a slight rattle while running cold. They looked at it, and when I went back to get it the SA said they didn't hear anything unusual ( so no bad flappers, etc), but they "adjusted to within BMW specifications". He then looked at me with a little grin and said "I think you'll be happy with it now". I later saw the master tech, who I know, and he gave me the same grin and said essentially the same thing when I asked what they did. He also said "we can tell which drivers are more of an enthusiast than others".

Whatever they did, the car ran better, pulled noticibly harder, and now has this great sounding burble on throttle lift-off in lower gears (like even when coasting in DS when it downshifts by itself). No idea what they did specifically, but I suspect they pushed the specs as far to the "performance" side as possible, so to speak.

So I don't want to lose that if I get a Cobb and take the tune off, which is why it's important to me to know whatever they set will be retained if I go back to stock with the Cobb.

thanks,
a.

Last edited by andrew b; 07-27-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Whatever they did, the car ran better, pulled noticibly harder, and now has this great sounding burble on throttle lift-off. No idea what they did specifically, but I suspect they pushed the specs as far to the "performance" side as possible, so to speak.

So I don't want to lose that if I get a Cobb and take the tune off, which is why it's important to me to know whatever they set will be retained if I go back to stock with the Cobb.
Well, here's the thing:

Cobb don' do no meth, AFAIK. That's very limiting if sa-mooth V8 power you like - I do.

JB4 & Procede instantly switch maps from the steering wheel, including return to dealer/stock settings. I do mean instantly - an up/down arrow button push or two and you're reset, even while driving at any speed.

That means, you can choose among stock map/non-meth maps/meth map at will without stopping or even slowing down. Hey....

Mine's been in for service about once yearly.

First service, I removed JB4, the diff part being removing/connecting plugs at the ECU. R&R'g plastic parts is nothing really, after the 1st time.

Connectors annoyed me, so left it in on stock map on dealer visits thereafter. Nary a word or any concern expressed. Hey....

Draw your own conclusions. I like the larger envelope, power capability and easy map change/navigation. No remote to lose. ~$1k with meth kit.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 07-27-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:21 PM

Mein Auto: 335xi
CALWATERBOY i have the certified pre-owned warranty to 100k miles. Seriously considering getting the JB4, no dealership issues ever with yours? I was wondering you could do the same for dealership issues with the cobb AP as well...
Old 08-06-2012, 11:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i E93
Quote:
Whatever they did, the car ran better, pulled noticibly harder, and now has this great sounding burble on throttle lift-off in lower gears (like even when coasting in DS when it downshifts by itself). No idea what they did specifically, but I suspect they pushed the specs as far to the "performance" side as possible, so to speak.
Huh, your E93 didn't burble before? Mine's a manual and has had the burble since I bought it (2nd owner). Maybe transmission affects it?

Also, I'm wondering if they installed the PPK software for you gratis. The "symptoms" you describe sound like what others have reported after getting the PPK. That could certainly explain the grins.

1996 E36 328 Cabrio / Blk/Blk/Wood / 5MT / Premium / Butt Warmers (Sold)

Last edited by Zoomie94; 08-06-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomie94 View Post
Huh, your E93 didn't burble before? Mine's a manual and has had the burble since I bought it (2nd owner). Maybe transmission affects it?

Also, I'm wondering if they installed the PPK software for you gratis. The "symptoms" you describe sound like what others have reported after getting the PPK. That could certainly explain the grins.
He could look under the hood for confirmation sticker, but I doubt they gave him free PPK upgrade. They most likely reset his adaptive automatic or just updated his SW and if the latter it would be listed in the service receipt.

Then again, you might have hit the jackpot with a service department!!

Last edited by daytrader; 08-07-2012 at 06:51 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i E93
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytrader View Post
I doubt they gave him free PPK upgrade.
Yeah, I highly doubt it myself, but you never know...

1996 E36 328 Cabrio / Blk/Blk/Wood / 5MT / Premium / Butt Warmers (Sold)

Old 08-07-2012, 11:52 AM
flâneur en cabriolet

Quote:
He could look under the hood for confirmation sticker, but I doubt they gave him free PPK upgrade. They most likely reset his adaptive automatic or just updated his SW and if the latter it would be listed in the service receipt.

I doubt it was a PPK. Almost certainly not a reset to the adaptive auto (I know what that feels like. This was engine difference, not transmission difference).

The car burbled only occaisionally before they did whatever they did. Now it does it even in D, and almost every time you let off the throttle in DS.

I suspect they just took whatever setings (i.e. advance, fuel mix, etc) they can to the "far edge" of the acceptable "BMW Specifications", thus the explaination of "adjusted to BMW specifications" which I would suspect is certainly not a specific setting but an acceptable range. And that fits the "we can tell an enthusiast". I bet if I'd griped that it was getting lousy gas mileage they'd adjust it the other way....

Last edited by andrew b; 08-07-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:47 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Quote:
Hey Alan, this means that any adjustments to the stock map/engine settings done by BMW service are saved?

I ask because I took my 335i in for service to fix a slight rattle while running cold. They looked at it, and when I went back to get it the SA said they didn't hear anything unusual ( so no bad flappers, etc), but they "adjusted to within BMW specifications". He then looked at me with a little grin and said "I think you'll be happy with it now". I later saw the master tech, who I know, and he gave me the same grin and said essentially the same thing when I asked what they did. He also said "we can tell which drivers are more of an enthusiast than others".

thanks,
a.
That's correct, the COBB will save the DME/ECU in it's current state as a backup. When you uninstall the COBB, it'll flash everything back to the settings that were saved during the install process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viere View Post
CALWATERBOY i have the certified pre-owned warranty to 100k miles. Seriously considering getting the JB4, no dealership issues ever with yours? I was wondering you could do the same for dealership issues with the cobb AP as well...
You won't have any issues with the COBB and I'd highly recommend it for your 335i. All you need to do is uninstall it before bringing the car in to the dealership!
Old 08-14-2012, 04:04 PM

I'm going with Cobb.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:59 PM
GODSPD

Mein Auto: SSII E90 ///M, AW E92 N54
I highly recommend an S65 engine swap.

e90m / ssii / foxred / nochrome
wedssport sa-55m 19x9.5 et24 square / kwv3 / 15mm rear spacer
full challenge exhaust

WHEELS FOR SALE
Old 08-15-2012, 02:28 PM

Just wanted to let everyone know Alan from modbargains just hooked me up with a Cobb AP at a great price! Plus his service was nothing short of exceptional. If you want great easy power without having to worry about messing with your ecu every dealership visit, contact him!
Old 08-15-2012, 08:57 PM
flâneur en cabriolet

Quote:

Just closing the loop here....I think I know what they did. Sort of, anyway.

I was gently reminded the other day that the Manager of the service department, one of their longest-employed master techs, has the same car I have. I bet he set it the way he has his, thus the little grin and "I think you'll like it".
Old 08-16-2012, 09:01 AM

CT, how much did that engine swap cost you? Total