Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 08-06-2012, 09:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
So why is it a big deal removing the back pressure if there is little hp to be gained? Longevity for the turbos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xclone View Post
All the supporting mods do is allow you to go more aggressive with the tune. Believe me, there is a huge gain between stag 1 and stage 2 plus. Around 40hp. It all depends on how far you want to take your car though.

The intake should be used with any tune. Adding an exhaust did little for me, performance wise, besides making it sound better. It did, however, remove the back pressure from the system (turbos do NOT like back pressure) and make me about 40 lbs lighter (about a 4hp gain in weight reduction).

The high you go with any tune the more in diminishing returns you will get unless you are making serious engine modifications (bigger turbo, single turbo, engine swap, etc). When you consider the price of those items though, the amount of HP we get, per $$ from a tune is outrageously cheap!
Old 08-07-2012, 02:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to xclone
Mein Auto: 2008 535iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by booyaazaa View Post
I told myself i was going to only do a cobb ap and nothing else. But I'm finding myself looking at the bms dci and a remus exhaust. I know many have argued this point with stock box w/bms dropin vs bms dci. The only thing is having to uninstall when i take it in for servicing and vice versa. That is what has me on the fence still from pullin the trigger. Damn these cars get expensive.
From what I have seen (and heard), no dealer will care about ANY intake you have as long as you have a filter on it. Intakes alone give you nothing but sound and do not impact the operation of the engine or fuel system.

Just wait until you decide you want an IC, Methanol injection and downpipes... I was just like you, I just wanna do this and i'm done. That first step is damn slippery..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vax View Post
So why is it a big deal removing the back pressure if there is little hp to be gained? Longevity for the turbos?
The turbos will be much happier with less backpressure. The 535 especially is pretty restricted on the exhaust side with 2 sets of cats and 2 mufflers. When you replace the exhaust you remove alot of that (so you get more power from a weight reduction), less backpressure (happier snails) and a much nicer sounding car.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:44 PM

Mein Auto: '09 AW 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by xclone View Post
From what I have seen (and heard), no dealer will care about ANY intake you have as long as you have a filter on it. Intakes alone give you nothing but sound and do not impact the operation of the engine or fuel system.

Just wait until you decide you want an IC, Methanol injection and downpipes... I was just like you, I just wanna do this and i'm done. That first step is damn slippery..

The turbos will be much happier with less backpressure. The 535 especially is pretty restricted on the exhaust side with 2 sets of cats and 2 mufflers. When you replace the exhaust you remove alot of that (so you get more power from a weight reduction), less backpressure (happier snails) and a much nicer sounding car.
Ya, I was looking at a IC upgrade but I need to wait since my wheels will be arriving soon, got to buy some new rubber and I just ordered my Remus sport exhaust. All I know is these toys add up quick. So I finally pulled the trigger today and im running a 27/73 e85 mix in my tank. I'm not sure if it is a placebo affect but the engine seems smoother and it feels like it pulls stronger through the rpm's. I'm running the same Cobb stg 1 aggr map that I've been running for the past month.

2009 AW 535i
-Sport, Premium Package, and Comfort Access
-FBO, custom Cobb E30 map, Performance Gearing LSD.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:43 PM
Old Timer (Really)

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 535i Sport
Well, it's been about a month since I loaded the Cobb AccessPort Stage 1 Sport (Stock Throttle) to my bimmer (2009 535i Sport). And I must say, it's been a blast! Even my wife enjoys the extra acceleration and power.

But alas, I had to uninstall the Cobb a few minutes ago because it's time for a "check-up". Now have almost 46k miles on her, so it's due for an oil change, spark plug change and intake filter change. Also, since I'm so close to the 50k miles end of warranty (I didn't opt for and extended warranty) she'll be getting a good once-over at the dealer, along with checking things that I've identified as possible problems. (We've had 3 bimmers from this dealership in Orlando since 2005, have had the same service rep the whole time, and so far at least, have been well taken care of).

Can't wait to reload the Cobb next week though!

2009 535i Sport, Jet Black | Cobb Stage 2 Aggressive | Injen DCI | AR Downpipes | BMS Led Angel Eyes | Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus
2008 528i (Retired)
2006 328ci (Retired)
1975 US Army (Retired)
Old 08-22-2012, 09:09 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i + 535XI wagon
I just drove a rental X3 today up in Chicago. OMG, what a pig. Engine sounds so rough when pushed. I am so used to my tuned N54 engines that anything else feels like a slug on the road. Made me appreciate how amazing these tuner options are. Whole different world.
Drove home from the airport afterwards in my OWN CAR! Swishing through highway traffic as if they were cones on the road. Hallelujah!
Old 09-02-2012, 07:16 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi
Just ordered my Cobb from ModBargains - Alan was very helpful. Question I have for current Cobb owners - (I have 93 octance) should I start with a sport or aggressive mode? I plan to use stock throttle mapping. Want to maintain the nice linear and smooth power delivery that the N54 has - and also do not want to throw codes and other issues.
Let me know your thoughts.
Also, do you notice more power with cool ambient temps? I assume so.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to xclone
Mein Auto: 2008 535iA
Hey Mermar, it really depends on you. The power is very, very addictive so I tried aggressive, then I tried sport and went immediately back to aggressive. Neither sport or aggressive should throw codes for you. Just make sure you have fresh plugs and you should have no issues at all. Remember that a tune will tax your plugs harder then normal so plan on changing them every 30k or so when tuned.

es, when the temp drops, the air will become denser and you'll have more power. This is the reason some guys (me included) run methanol injection which cools the charge air temp (and raises the octane).

Have fun with the cobb!
Old 10-02-2012, 08:43 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermar View Post
Just ordered my Cobb from ModBargains - Alan was very helpful. Question I have for current Cobb owners - (I have 93 octance) should I start with a sport or aggressive mode? I plan to use stock throttle mapping. Want to maintain the nice linear and smooth power delivery that the N54 has - and also do not want to throw codes and other issues.
Let me know your thoughts.
Also, do you notice more power with cool ambient temps? I assume so.
Thanks for giving us the opportunity to earn your business and for the kind words! I'd personally start off with the sport map first then try the aggressive map. Choose the one that suites your driving habits best and take it from there
Remus Exhaust | HRE FlowForm
Hours: Mon - Fri 8:00am-6:00pm | Sat 8:00am-5:00pm
Check out the Blog for daily updates!